Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Clearly, Euphie not dying would cause the events of Nightmare of Nunnally to unfold (for no well apparent reason other than Euphie surviving in that manga).

I honestly would not mind a SRW with Nightmare of Nunnally, if only to see Lelouch show his Master Asia side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

veekie posted:

Wouldn't you wind up with something crazy like Great Zeorymer?
I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. Plus it's not like Gurren Lagann doesn't reach and exceed Great Zeorymer in sheer brokenness by the end of the series anyways.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Dr Pepper posted:

Ehh this isn't really the case. Gurren Lagann gets absurdly powerful, yes, but it also fights things on its level of power.
Only because Gurren Lagann's enemies are just as crazy as its heroes, and the power scale increases at such speed that Dragon Ball Z would be proud.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Honestly, if we get a Getter Lagann, the world might as well explode, since there are very few things that are ever going to surpass that.

(add GaoGaiGar and Mazinger to the mix, and then we have nothing left to live for)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Final Dankuuhou is so drat weird. What's with those sexy cut-ins? Did that happen in the show itself or is this just for SRW (like Final itself)?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

Play Super Robot Wars Z!
LP Super Robot Wars Z!

(so looking forward to that)

TwoPair posted:

God I hate literally everything about Eureka Seven that isn't Eureka Seven. Movies, sequels, all of it's just poo poo.
Does that include the songs? Because you're absolutely wrong if it does, and absolutely right if it doesn't (because both the movie and AO were awful, and because of this, I can't wait until AO gets into SRW so it gets done properly, Destiny-style).

Also I think I can say for certain I didn't understand anything Anemone said here. I guess her dialogue with Asakim could be considered important...if it wasn't so drat vague. On the other hand, pretty much the most important plot point of Z (Spheres) has now become clear in Z2 as well, which is good. And even better, Amuro! And Quattro! And the new Fin Funnels (which you gotta show the kill animation for at some point, because that's basically my favourite Z-series animation ever).

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alacron posted:

Look, we all know that best pilot for the Turn-A is the one and only, Quattro Vagina Bajeena, end of story.
Every time I've gone through a Z-series game, be it the original, this one or Z2-2, I've put Quattro in the Turn A (because no Z game gives him the Sazabi, despite Amuro getting his Nu Gundam. So unfair!), and I don't think it was ever a wrong decision.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Super Robot PSA: The SRW Z1 let's play has started over here.

Mission 1 for both Rand and Setsuko has already been posted.
And you have no idea how happy this makes me.

Also Platoon Combat is surprisingly boring. Then again, that still is a lot of effort for an attack that only appears in a single stage and you're likely to never see.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

By the way, now that the Z thread has officially started, I'm on Setsuko plot duty, so Z2 is probably going to update mostly just on weeks I'm not helping DrPepper.

On the plus side, there's only fourteen chapters to go!
Less Z2 updates is a sacrifice I'm willing to make to see more Z updates. I mean, I love Z2, but Z is just SRW perfection.

Or rather, a game with Z2's cast and Z's system would be SRW perfection. And perhaps adding some G Gundam and GaoGaiGar. Maybe even some Crossbone Gundam. But that's going into the realm of dreams.

(Banpresto, you know what to do for Z3)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hunter Noventa posted:

G Gundam...GaoGaiGar...Gurren Lagann...

Erupting Goldion Drill Breaker anyone?
Nah, clearly the combination attack would require Mazinger, God Gundam and GaoGaiGar, and would involve Domon switching from his Gundam to (Genesic) GaoGaiGar, who would then equip Mazinger's Big Bang Punch mode as his hand. Of course, Domon would then perform Erupting God Finger with it, backed up by Guy's sheer courage.

It'd get kind of heated up for poor Kouji, but that's life.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I enjoyed your explanation of why you changed Shin to Omega, so thanks for that insight into the translator's mind. Nonetheless, I disagree with your conclusion, mainly because of something you yourself brought up: recognition. It's important for the audience (us, in this case) to know what's being talked about, and what we've known for years is Shin Getter Robo. This is even more important when you're talking about a crossover (as is Super Robot Wars, of course), in which recognising each series is vital to fully understanding the game proper. If it suddenly starts changing terminology left and right, it'll do nothing but confuse the fanbase.

I understand that the term "Shin" keeps popping up in text (weird, since I don't remember Armageddon putting that much of a focus on it), and the translation definitely will look neater this way rather than trying to explain each "Shin" individually or treating it as some kind of important, unique term (when it is a normal Japanese word, if one full of meanings), but, as many have already pointed out as I read the update, "Omega Getter" is also really weird to read. It's a lose-lose situation, basically, but I would've put the readers over the game proper in this case, even if it is a pain for the translator later down the line. Then again, I'm not a translator, so I'm not entirely sure how much of a pain it would've been to try to explain the whole Shin thing as it appeared, nor would I want to see the LP full of translation notes, TV Nihon-style.

Returning to the game proper, this is a pretty cool stage! Oddly enough, I don't remember Gol/Burai's attack at all, and I've played this stage. I guess I just ignored them and went for Shin Dragon. And giving Gurren-Lagann the ability to fly only makes it that little bit more murderous, and that's awesome, especially with goddamn Valor.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

Very well. Then I will erase you and execute in your place! Farewell, Moon WILLllllll!

Shouldn't this be "Farewell, Earth WILL"? I doubt he's saying goodbye to himself (well, he is, but...you know, Norio Wakamoto).

Also, once again SRW manages to do what the proper series didn't: actually connect Dancouga with Dancouga Nova. While they had done so before by saying that Nova was based on the original Dancouga, there was no actual plot connection. Now there is. Good job, Banpresto.

On the other hand, MAXGOD is still as stupid here as it was in Nova. If they had that powerful of a mode avaliable since the beginning of the series, what was the point of awakening God Beast? It's not even usable in MAXGOD!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

That's just what Ji Edel Bernar said!

You mean The Edel Bernal? Because I sure haven't heard of this "Ji" person (and probably shouldn't say any more about him considering the Z LP).

Man, I kind of feel sad for never using Chirico, that final attack looked awesome. And Zuul dropped some heavy amount of foreshadowing there, and with a lot of series to boot. I'm guessing the Black Revelations he saw were Turn A's Black History, but still, wow. Guy's got a lot of knowledge of what's going on...so of course he won't give us that information straight. It'd be too boring otherwise.

At least he's alive (if we believe his (not-)last words), so he can tell us later, right?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seeing you aren't bringing Kallen made me sad. She's my second-highest Ace in Saisei-hen (only behind Apollo...though by a lot of kills, Aquarion is kind of ridiculous, and gets more ridiculous every game, so I can't wait to see just how broken Evol will be), but you know what made me even more sad?

ImpAtom posted:

I figure it's worth mentioning that Z3 chapter 1 comes out this week so I wouldn't be shocked if both the SRWZ threads are slow to update for a bit!

And I don't own either console for the game nor have the money to buy them, and the second trailer looked so drat awesome. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, I want you so much.

But sigh, that's life. Most importantly, this stage! It's totally filler. I don't remember it at all, but I didn't take this route split so I don't think I've ever played it, either. I don't get the point, and the idea of fighting so many Rhinodamons just gives me this weird, overpowering anger and hatred I can't stop. I guess it's not that bad when you're overflowing with funds of previous playthroughs though, but I can imagine it'd be hell on a first.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Caphi posted:

Route split ended three chapters ago. Everything since the Vajra is pure endgame.

Oh, I'm dumb and not paying enough attention, clearly. Sorry!

That only means that this stage was either really easy to forget (which being so blatant filler, might have been) or I was so angered by it, I decided not to remember it. I honestly don't know which, but I seriously doubt I got the SR Point here during my own playthrough. gently caress the Damons, seriously.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can't leave Quattro behind, but put him in the Turn-A. The man deserves more than his bling machine.

Second vote for Kei and the Orguss, because he's a pretty cool guy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You know Asakim's telling the truth about Ime being unable to even say anything coherent even before he says it. Check his response to attacks, a bunch of numbers. Absolutely nonsensical. The Spheres' side-effects are really, really bad. Power at a price, I guess.

Also I can't choose which answer to Ime is the best, so many are so good. I love this cast. That said, I also love how Ime casually drops a whole bunch of spoilers, and no one really believes him because, you know, pathological (if forced by a supernatural power) liar.

Can't say I'll miss the guy himself though. I'll definitely miss his theme song.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Materant posted:

Part of me wonders just how far they've been planning ahead with this series.

Crowe appears in one of Asakim's attacks in Z, so they clearly had some future planning done already. How much, I can't really say. I doubt, say, Unicorn was part of the original plan, but maybe Evangelion was, since it's an older series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This is the last battle, like hell we're going back on our words now! Crowe enjoys fights more than the entire Getter Team put together.

Also I seriously love how no one takes Shioni seriously. It's always pity or a complete lack of interest in her. Poor girl, she's trying her best to be a competent villain, she's just...not very good at it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Small Frozen Thing posted:

I've gotta say, I liked Ime as a villain much more than Gaioh, who seems a lot like yet another cookie-cutter "I AM STRONG. SHOW ME HOW STRONG YOU ARE. FIGHTING IS GOOD. I ENJOY IT. HAHAHA, I ENJOY YOUR FIGHTING SPIRIT. NOW FIGHT ME." guy. Maybe there's more to him in the sequel, but he's pretty unimpressive so far.

I'd say the game has made it pretty clear there's more to him than that, it just hasn't exactly shown what. And what it is...I can't really say, I can't read Japanese, but I know it should be there, somewhere.

This is the first time I see Gaioh's normal death animation (I don't even remember what I killed him for but it was one of those super-weapons with critical kills). Kind of interesting that he just goes and leaves, instead of sinking with the ship.

Just one more update now, huh? A post before said it, but it's always impressive to see a SRW LP actually finish. Great job, can't wait to see the epilogue to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

As people have said, first of all, thanks for everything! I might not have agreed with all of your choices (Omega Getter still feels wrong), but overall I respect you a lot as a translator, both here and in other projects, and I have to seriously thank you for translating the entirety of this game, which I hold dear even if it might not have lived up to how wonderful Z was (but then again, does anything?). As a person who barely understands spoken Japanese and can't read at all (but has plans on learning...someday...), you've made me enjoy Z2 even more, and I might even replay it with this as a guide to see if I can enjoy it even more when I understand not only from my knowledge of the series involved, but from an actual translation.

I don't blame you for not continuing to Restoration, this alone must've taken a lot of time and effort. I'm sure someone else will, and someone even said they would already (which stops me from doing something stupid and offering myself, who has won Z2:R but has barely any skill in the game), and offering your help even there will definitely make that project even better whenever it happens. Which I expect to not be anywhere soon, if you want it to wait until the Z LP is completed (not to insult Brunom1 and Dr Pepper, who are doing a wonderful job, I'm just pointing out that Z is a long, and excellent, game)

tl;dr, thanks for everything, Caphi! I'd say I hope to see more of your work soon...but there's no Gaim this week. Dammit, sports.

• Locked thread