Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Kittens! I couldn't believe this thread hadn't been made yet, SO I MADE ONE OK? As Greg himself would say, "Please go rent an apartment OFF of my dick."

Even if you've never heard of his podcast, The Smartest Man in the World, you are more than likely familiar with Greg Proops from his work on the 'Whose Line Is It Anyway?" TV show, either the British or American version. If you've only seen him on that show, you have only been introduced to the...how should I put this...more "family-friendly" version of the man.

Once you listen to the podcast, which is a weekly live show from different cities around the world, you'll find that Herr Proops is more of an articulate, vulgar, energetic, pot-smoking, politically-aware guy who is prone to go on irate tangents at length (the subjects of which are sometimes the audiences themselves) and could still drink you under the table throughout all of this. He's also really loving funny and you'd be remiss if you didn't go out and listen to every GOD drat episode of SMITW you could get your dirty little hands on.

The first episode I listened to was Ships back in Oct 2011, and I've been a huge fan ever since. It's one of the few podcasts I really look forward to each week, and I find myself a little sad when I get to the end of an episode and realize that it'll be another week before I get to listen again. Seriously guys...if you're not listening to this show and you consider yourself a fan of comedy podcasts, you're missing out big time.

Anyway, I hope that this thread can be a place for lengthy discussions about the show. Love or hate an episode? Agree or disagree with the boring preachy part? Get in here and open your heart to the forums so that we may swarm over you like a pack of vultures and pick at the bones of your thoughts before we gently caress off into the night in a loving swirling miasma of drugs and vodka, you groovy Proop-cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!
Oh god, I love the Proopcast. I discovered it last November or so and caught up completely by Christmas. It's almost like a fresh stand-up set every week, and Proops draws you in in such a way that the hour or so goes by incredibly quick and leaving you wanting more.

I'm not sure how many others felt this way, but the first half of episode 1 was pretty hard to get into and almost turned me off completely. Don't let it, seriously.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Thanks to this podcast i now know more about negro leagues baseball and Satchel Paige than i would ever learn in the course of my life.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
You sir, have already sold me. Need something funny to listen to while working, and I really like Greg Proops' style of comedy.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This quickly shot up to the top of my podcast list. He's coming to San Jose in April, I'm considering going.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

This quickly shot up to the top of my podcast list. He's coming to San Jose in April, I'm considering going.

I went to see him in Nashville earlier this month, but I kind of wish I went to his podcast taping the day before instead. His stand up is good and we had a good time, but I just really enjoy hearing him read questions and going off on tangents.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Wallrod posted:

Thanks to this podcast i now know more about negro leagues baseball and Satchel Paige than i would ever learn in the course of my life.

Exactly this. How many people can you name off the top of your head that can manage hammering down drinks, being high as poo poo, be legitimately funny, and educational, all at the same time. He truly is the smartest man in the world.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Loved Greg on Whose Line, so the podcasts turned out to be a perfect fit for me.

Thanks for letting us know about!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Grant DaNasty posted:

I went to see him in Nashville earlier this month, but I kind of wish I went to his podcast taping the day before instead. His stand up is good and we had a good time, but I just really enjoy hearing him read questions and going off on tangents.

Exactly. I can see that he has three shows on one night, and a podcast another. I'm probably gunning for that podcast show. I plan on having a couple.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Greg Proops' superpower is that his brain has near-instantaneous access to every adjective he has ever read/heard in his life.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Proops is a very binary comic: you either love him or hate him. I'm in the former camp and think it takes a lot of chutzpah to make 1 hour podcast each week with refreshing material in front of a live audience.

Edit: Although my eyes glaze over when he gets into his very liberal spiel. Everything else gets me through it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 26, 2012

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

LentThem posted:

Greg Proops' superpower is that his brain has near-instantaneous access to every adjective he has ever read/heard in his life.

This is easily one of my favorite things about him

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Proops is a very binary comic: you either love him or hate him. I'm in the former camp and think it takes a lot of chutzpah to make 1 hour podcast each week with refreshing material in front of a live audience.

Edit: Although my eyes glaze over when he gets into his very liberal spiel. Everything else gets me through it.

I think you're right about the binary thing. You can hear it in the audience on each episode. Sometimes they're practically falling over with laughter to the point where you'd think some of the audience members were planted, and then other times Greg spends most of the episode commenting on how nobody understands a thing he's talking about (like last week's episode at SXSW).

Actually, I think the entirety of SXSW just didn't "get" him, because he appeared on Doug Loves Movies and the crowd at that show was eerily quiet after every joke Proops said. It was painfully awkward to listen to.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I normally like Greg Proops, but am tired of hearing people from the bay area talk about how great San Francisco is. So of course the first podcast I listened to started with a big long monologue about it being the greatest city in the world which turned me off. So is there maybe an episode with a better start for me to get back on the right foot?

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Al! posted:

I normally like Greg Proops, but am tired of hearing people from the bay area talk about how great San Francisco is. So of course the first podcast I listened to started with a big long monologue about it being the greatest city in the world which turned me off. So is there maybe an episode with a better start for me to get back on the right foot?

The episode "Ships" that I listed in the OP is a good one. Been a while since I've listened to it myself but I'm fairly certain he doesn't really talk about San Francisco on that one.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Al! posted:

Starting with the later episodes like Ships is a good idea. If you don't already love the poo poo out of him, you might fall asleep during the first few.

e: I need to pay attention more often, beaten.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
This is my second favourite podcast. Greg is hilarious, and I like his rants against the ridiculousness in the world.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just listened to a few episodes due to this thread; excellent stuff. Definitely worth a listen.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I thought the crowds at Nerdmelt seemed pretty engaged so I enjoyed those episodes (Masks and Elbows). For a beginner I would suggest Diamonds, the episode where Greg was on a cruise ship. It seemed pretty light on obscure references and the stories were interesting.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Brekelefuw posted:

This is my second favourite podcast. Greg is hilarious, and I like his rants against the ridiculousness in the world.

Probably his best rants were those involving the Occupy movement.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Really liked this week's episode, mainly because he talked about one of my favorite historical figures, Howard Hughes, and then ranted about Rush Limbaugh as compared to Gwyneth Paltrow.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Here's the aforementioned new butch haircut: http://twitpic.com/97ajx2

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie
Don't think any haircut could look butch on Proops

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Here's the aforementioned new butch haircut: http://twitpic.com/97ajx2

I was envisioning something more like a buzzcut, Henry Rollins-style. That picture's not so bad.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Slightly disappointing that Greg can't understand Scottish accents and pronounces Celtic 'keltic.'

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I'm a little surprised that he'd never picked up on the seltic/keltic pronunciation split with the football team, but then again i suppose it's easy to miss it completely in his line of work. I swear he was just pretending not to understand some of the questions though.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

jyrka posted:

Slightly disappointing that Greg can't understand Scottish accents and pronounces Celtic 'keltic.'

It was a bit he was doing. :ssh:

Also 'keltic' is the correct pronunciation of that word. Sorry.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Mogambo posted:

Also 'keltic' is the correct pronunciation of that word. Sorry.

Of course you might not know what you're talking about. Sorry.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
Of course you could get off the dude's dick for not pronouncing a word in the way that you'd like.

(I'm just fooling with you, by the way. 'Seltic' is the correct way to say it.)

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

I always say Keltic except for the basketball team. Why am I wrong besides that I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't.
Edit: oh ok I misunderstood the conversation

Gooch fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 11, 2012

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

On the podcast he mentioned the Glasgow soccer team Celtic. I think outside of sports teams' names keltic is still right. No clue why there is a difference though.

I should definitely get off the dude's dick though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hi all, I'm looking for an apartment, could you let me know the going rate for a condo on Greg Proops' dick?

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Well, I'll give it a shot! I always thought that he was funny but also its weird when Americans go to places like England to live and work. Like why can't you go home Greg what's keeping you? Anyway, he's smart and funny, two things I like.

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis

Paul Coffey posted:

Well, I'll give it a shot! I always thought that he was funny but also its weird when Americans go to places like England to live and work. Like why can't you go home Greg what's keeping you? Anyway, he's smart and funny, two things I like.

He lives in LA, he just does gigs over in England.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

I love it when Greg reminisces about old movies and starts acting out scenes from memory for his own amusement.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

jyrka posted:

On the podcast he mentioned the Glasgow soccer team Celtic. I think outside of sports teams' names keltic is still right. No clue why there is a difference though.

I should definitely get off the dude's dick though.

This is all correct.

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
Just chimming in to say this is by far my favorite podcast. The boring preachy parts always get me. One day I will make the great pilgrimage to bar lubitsch for a live podcast.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I love the heckler in this episode.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I had the impression that he was thrilled to be in Paris, even if the bathroom facilities allowed only for limited face hygiene. Also, leave it to the French to bring a 9 year old to a front row seat of a cuss-filled, history and baseball podcast recording.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

yeah, this is definitely up there as one of my favourite podcasts. I think I like it best when he just goes on a tear about some poo poo he's interested in, and clearly doesn't give a gently caress if the audience is following him or not. Which is refreshing, after hearing a lot of stand up comedians desparately chasing every laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Lamuella posted:

yeah, this is definitely up there as one of my favourite podcasts. I think I like it best when he just goes on a tear about some poo poo he's interested in, and clearly doesn't give a gently caress if the audience is following him or not. Which is refreshing, after hearing a lot of stand up comedians desparately chasing every laugh.

This is one of the reasons I love the guy. He not only doesn't give a gently caress if the audience is following along, but he'll actually heckle them if they're not a good crowd. Can't wait to reach that age where I give no fucks about anything the way he does haha

• Locked thread