Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Some information I figured I'd throw out there.

I have it on good authority that Straight Talk will be getting a Verizon Android and an AT&T Android phone come May 17th. Online only at first. The Verizon Android phone is supposed to be similar to (if not the exact same phone as) the Samsung Illusion. It's going to retail at or around $170. The AT&T Android is going to be a ZTE phone, and is (from what my guy told me) going to be pretty high-end, retailing for somewhere around $300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BlackFrost posted:

a buddy of mine is thinking of switching back to iPhone, and would be willing to sell his Nexus to me for cheap. He runs it on Verizon's network though, so I have no idea if I'd be able to get it to run on T-Mobile's services.

EDIT: Forgot Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. Nevermind. :(
Actually technically Verizon DOES use SIM cards now, so don't use that as a means to check compatibility.

The Verizon version does use different radio technology, and will only work on Verizon's network. You need a GSM/HSPA phone for T-Mobile, preferably one with support for the AWS frequencies.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
http://pocketnow.com/android/htc-evo-v-4g-an-evo-3d-for-virgin-mobile

Rumor is that the HTC EVO 3D is coming to virgin mobile... is it a good phone?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mister Fister posted:

Ooo. Not sure if it's a good phone, but it made me stop and look twice. I wonder if it will get upgraded to ICS. Through, it's like an inch bigger than the Optimus V and I've grown to really like the small size.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

If by good you mean spec-wise then yeah, it can still hold it's own against even high end models with other carriers. 1.5ghz dual core is pretty beefy. qHD isn't the best display out there but it'll easily be VM's top phone.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As a VM Android early adopter who is still standing by his Samsung Intercept like a begrudging husband, I'm salivating at that announcement. I was still hoping for something from LG since they seem consistently reliable, but that looks quite nice too.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Rastor posted:

Other things that exist but I didn't bother to go into
US Cellular is the 6th-largest network, operating mainly in the flyover states. Neither their plans nor their coverage are great.

Great OP, but in a huge detailed post where you even talk about loving MetroPCS you completely blow US Cellular off?

I've been with USC for years and prior to that I've had Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T at various points in my life. I live in the Chicago area and US Cellular has the best network I've had, hands down. I get better call quality, better signal, and pretty good 3G speeds regardless of where I am, including the most rural parts of the state. One time I was at a concert downtown and I was the only one in my group of friends who could even get a data connection (no such luck for my friends with their iphones), and I was able to run a wifi hotspot for everyone because their networks were so slow and congested.

There are definitely problems with US Cellular, including the fact that they get good phones years after everyone else has had them, they don't release any information about new phones until literally days before they release them, their post paid plans are pretty mediocre (especially the belief bullshit), and their LTE rollout is pretty awful considering they don't even have spectrum in some of their primary markets (like Chicago).

I don't know much about their prepaid plans, but I can attest that their network quality and coverage is second to none and worth at least a look for anyone in their coverage area. The plans are bit pricier but you can get the Galaxy SII, which is pretty good compared to what I've seen with other prepaid providers.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 14, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No offense was intended, but my experience with this thread and the previous one is that goons are bargain hunters, and the US Cellular prepaid plans start at $60/month if you want to have more than 200MB data.

I've been thinking about maybe including US Cellular and Page Plus in the OP for the sake of completeness; is there a good argument OTHER than their coverage in the US midwest?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Rastor posted:

No offense was intended, but my experience with this thread and the previous one is that goons are bargain hunters, and the US Cellular prepaid plans start at $60/month if you want to have more than 200MB data.

I've been thinking about maybe including US Cellular and Page Plus in the OP for the sake of completeness; is there a good argument OTHER than their coverage in the US midwest?

Yeah, when you put it that way I'm sure it's not the best option. I did want to chime in on their network quality and coverage though, it really is that good if nothing else. On the other hand, I have no idea what type of roaming coverage/agreements you get on a prepaid with them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Uthor posted:

Ooo. Not sure if it's a good phone, but it made me stop and look twice. I wonder if it will get upgraded to ICS. Through, it's like an inch bigger than the Optimus V and I've grown to really like the small size.

It's supposed to be ICS iirc. In any case, it probably gonna be a little too pricy for me since I apparently have the only working Moto Triumph in the world (and it's pretty great).

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption
Going to have to look into something soon. No idea why but for a week now I have not been able to send or receive calls or texts on my Optimus V. Virgin is no help and I think I am not going to stick with them. I have the 25 dollar plan still but this sucks.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

cycowolf posted:

Going to have to look into something soon. No idea why but for a week now I have not been able to send or receive calls or texts on my Optimus V. Virgin is no help and I think I am not going to stick with them. I have the 25 dollar plan still but this sucks.

Try *228

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008
Quick trip report: H2O Wireless has horrible customer service and the amazon.com reviews are correct. It looks like the call center is paid per incident so expect 80% of your calls or chats to suddenly drop.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
T-Mobile switch (from Sprint) trip report:

1) Got Nexus S off eBay, SIM card kit off tmobile.com.
2) Tried to activate online, failed
3) Called TMo, the activation code in the kit would not work.
4) CSR got me a new code from their sales department, said sometimes they shipped defective ones.
5) Got Sprint to release my number (still on phone with CSR)
6) I had to activate online as the WalMart plan can't be given by a rep on the phone, but not a big deal as the new code worked.
7) I'm up and running, less than 24 hours later.

Not a great start with the faulty code, but I just tried out Groove IP and it seems like it'll be fine for 95% of my calling (WiFi @ home). We'll see how service is in Chicago over the next couple weeks!

cycowolf
Feb 14, 2005

Refill my prescription to whatever that thing is that makes the carpet stop turning into snakes in lieu of my coming conniption

SeaborneClink posted:

Try *228

What does that do? On another note I am now wondering if its something in my area going on. It seems my wife is also having problems. We left the area to go visit her family and we were about a hour away and both our phones went crazy. All the texts and voicemails I had came all at once. Surprised my phone didn't explode from how much the notification sound was going off.

Hopefully it gets worked out. I had hoped to keep this phone and see what virgin has coming for new phones.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Are there any good options other than the Nexus to use on the TMobile $30 plan? Basically I want the best phone possible, price isn't a factor really.

edit - Does the TMo $30 plan include free nights and weekends, or just 100 minutes total?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 16, 2012

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Are there any good options other than the Nexus to use on the TMobile $30 plan? Basically I want the best phone possible, price isn't a factor really.

Literally any (unlocked) GSM phone? You could use an iPhone if you want. The HTC One X looks like a pretty sweet phone. The Nexus is just generally considered the best choice for an Android device (see the Android phone thread for debate on that, but it's the general recommendation).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Since the AT&T Skyrocket ICS leaked, you can get the T-Mobile branded Samsung Galaxy S II (T-989) and put a fully-functioning ICS on that. They are around $400 on Ebay or $600 off-contract at Target if you'd like to try it on a 30-day return policy. I have one and aside from Exchange draining the hell out of the battery, there's nary a single bug to be found. ICS and the Apex launcher are friggin' amazing.

I'm returning mine and going back to an ICS Vibrant though, just so I can hold out for another month or so and finally splurge on an SGS3.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Basically I want the best phone possible, price isn't a factor really.
My personal opinion is always bet on Nexus, so my recommendation is the Galaxy Nexus.

quote:

edit - Does the TMo $30 plan include free nights and weekends, or just 100 minutes total?
No, with prepaid plans you get minutes, period, and they are deducted regardless of when you are using them. As noted in the OP, those with the combination of Android phone and Google Voice are able to make voice calls over Wifi (or 4G with paid version) using GrooVe IP. Also newer versions of Android support SIP so paying for a SIP provider may be another inexpensive option.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Rastor posted:

As noted in the OP, those with the combination of Android phone and Google Voice are able to make voice calls over Wifi (or 4G with paid version) using GrooVe IP. Also newer versions of Android support SIP so paying for a SIP provider may be another inexpensive option.

Is Tmo faux-G fast enough for groove ip?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I have been using Skype VOIP with a regular old 3G dell venue pro (HSDPA @ 7.2 Mbit/s) which is half the speed of the slowest "4G" phones (hspa+ 14.4Mbit) and it's fine if you have decent coverage. I don't know how grooveIP compares.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Depending on your area yeah. I have somewhat older hardware (G2) which is limited to 14.1mbps and on average I get around 8mb down, 3mb up in my Central Texas city. I've only rarely used a voip program on it but it's been ample.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

cycowolf posted:

What does that do? On another note I am now wondering if its something in my area going on. It seems my wife is also having problems. We left the area to go visit her family and we were about a hour away and both our phones went crazy. All the texts and voicemails I had came all at once. Surprised my phone didn't explode from how much the notification sound was going off.

*228 will reactivate the handset. The Sprint MVNO's don't have a way to update PRL or Profile independently.
Although if you're having localized problems with more than one phone and since you left a particular area and everything started working, is slightly indicative of network issues.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

It is if you've got a good connection. If you've only got 1-2 bars, or you're in a crowded area (so lots of other people sharing the tower), you better switch to making a standard phone call.

Ordinaire
Sep 1, 2008

Forks in the road we're not.
After reading this thread and the previous thread, I decided to switch from my old Optimus V on Virgin Mobile and go to a shiny new Nexus S (GT-i9020T) on T-Mobile's $30 plan. I even ported my old number to Google Voice and set it up to work with Groove IP. Everything went smoothly, except for activating the Nexus S on the new plan. The activation code on the SIM card they mailed me did not work online (as seems to be a common issue), but it was sorted out rather quickly.

There was, however, one major mistake on my part. T-mobile does not have 3G service in the city where I go to school. I really should have looked at the coverage map in more detail. But I spend most of my time in WiFi areas, so it really is more of an inconvenience than a deal breaker.

Would StraightTalk (AT&T) be a viable alternative in this situation? Everything I've read online indicates that this model Nexus S (GT-i9020T) is not compatible with AT&T's 3G frequencies. Perhaps I've answered my own question, but it seems like that would be limited to 2G as well.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sadly your summary sounds accurate. The GSM Galaxy Nexus has a pentaband radio which works on both AT&T and T-Mobile, but (almost) every phone that came before it would only get 3G on one or the other, including your Nexus S (GT-i9020T).

You could of course sell it and buy a Nexus S (GT-I9020A) which would get 3G on AT&T's network, assuming AT&T does in fact have 3G coverage in your area.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Rastor posted:

It is if you've got a good connection. If you've only got 1-2 bars, or you're in a crowded area (so lots of other people sharing the tower), you better switch to making a standard phone call.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but HDSPA+ is supposed to have faster ping response than the lower bandwidth protocols. Voip uses comparatively little bandwidth so ping is a much bigger factor than kbps. For what it's worth GrooveIP is working on my Vibrant well enough outdoors to get my point across but it's a second or two of lag. SGS2 rivals an actual voice connection when you're at full bars. Exhibit II also handles Groove well.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The problem is GrooVe IP is a hack on top of a hack, so there's some amount of overhead. Per the app developer you'll need to be able to reliably send/receive at least 1.2Mbps for good quality, which is much higher bandwidth than a GSM phone call.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So after having the Exhibit II for a week or now, this phone isn't really up to snuff on what I'd like. I'm trying to find a Sensation for less than $300 but it's a little tough.

I honestly wouldn't mind the Nexus S, but 1. they're hard to find for T-Mobile's frequencies AND under $250, and 2. They don't use 4G. Can I still use 3G if I'm on T-Mobile's Walmart monthly 4G plan? I was stuck on Edge for most of the weekend and that was incredibly slow, would like to avoid that if possible.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 17, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yes, on T-Mobile 3G/4G is the same thing, getting "4G speeds" is just a matter of whether your device supports faster HSDPA categories. And assuming you haven't exceeded the throttling limit, of course.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
HTC One V review. Seems like a nice step up from the Optimus V. I'm pretty interested in the phone, assuming the price is right ($250 or less) and it gets a decent community behind it for rooting. Personally, I like the <4" screen size...

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/18/2950522/htc-one-v-review

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Still on VM USA with my slowly falling apart LG Optimus V running IHO. I badly want to upgrade but I don't really feel like changing service... and there's still no decent phone to upgrade to. Very frustrating.

Only recent news I've heard about is:

HTC One V, supposedly coming to VM USA.

Samsung Galaxy W, already available for VM Canada.

Goddammit VM USA.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
So, I ported a number from MetroPCS over to Virgin Mobile USA FOUR MONTHS AGO and the Voicemail has been broken ever since. I've called customer service about 99 times, had several "tickets put in" to no avail.

when I dial the voicemail, I get a busy signal. That's it. I have never been able to access anything for config or whatever. It's been a busy signal since day 1.

Is there any way I can talk to someone in person? Is there some kind of carrier code or something I can input to fix this issue myself? It's a dang new Optimus Slider, which is a nice handset for the price, and I'd like to keep it around for a while.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Port your number to Google voice at months end if you're not grandfathered into the lower VM price. That's the only surefire way to get working voicemail.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

My friend is on boost and is looking to switch from his lovely bb to android. I've got no clue what they have to offer and if they are any good.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well the first question would be how long your friend has been on Boost, because if it isn't long enough to have gotten some shrinkage then one of the other options in the OP might be better.

Unfortunately Boost phones are unlikely to get software updates, so they'll be stuck with whatever they come with, and that's currently Gingerbread or even Froyo. Most IYG regulars agree that Ice Cream Sandwich made big improvements to Android design and usability.

But, let's say your friend is 100% married to Boost, for one reason or another, and also refuses to wait to see if they get an Ice Cream Sandwich phone.

Of what Boost offers right now:
The Samsung Prevail runs Froyo, so that's right out.
The other Samsung options have awful low-resolution screens, so don't get one of those either.

It looks like that leaves the ZTE Warp and the LG Marquee, which at least have 480x800 screens.
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/LG-Marquee,ZTE-Warp/phones/5693,6508
http://androidforums.com/zte-warp/489421-zte-warp-vs-lg-marquee-video.html

Hope that helps.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 20, 2012

Fiesty Francis
Apr 7, 2005

At least if I'd studied literature I might be able to spell `feisty'
I'll be flying down from Vancouver to LA/San Diego/Carlsbad, CA in the next couple of days, and I'm hoping to pick up either a pre-paid sim card or sign up for a month-to-month plan (and then cancel before the end of the month) for a GSM phone (Nexus or iPhone) so I can check email, get directions, etc. Based on the OP, it looks like I can pick up a SmartTalk sim at Wal-mart. Is this right? Or do I have to order a sim online first (which I won't be able to do, due to a lack of US address.)

Also, does anyone have any advice on prepaid GSM phone sims for data/voice in Tokyo?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Hmm, I don't know that you'll be able to buy the SIM at a Wal-mart retail store, and this seems to back that up. Maybe your hotel or a US friend would be willing to receive mail for you?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

He's been with boost for a year or so so he does have shrinkage, I'll see if he minds switching carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiesty Francis
Apr 7, 2005

At least if I'd studied literature I might be able to spell `feisty'

Rastor posted:

Hmm, I don't know that you'll be able to buy the SIM at a Wal-mart retail store, and this seems to back that up. Maybe your hotel or a US friend would be willing to receive mail for you?

Hmmm. Well that's no good. We're arriving on the weekend, so mail will be too slow. I'm doubting AT&T will let us sign up for a month to month if we're not residents, so we might just be hooped.

Edit: Actually, it seems like one option might just be to pick up a couple of prepaid T-Mobile MiFi-type things at wal-mart. We can make do without voice, and if our phones can connect for Data, we'll be able to use Navigation.

Fiesty Francis fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 21, 2012

• Locked thread