Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
Has anyone tried the HTC One V yet? I am still using the Optimus V, which is getting pretty old now. I tried the Optimus Elite last month but it was horribly unstable and the battery life wasn't anywhere near what they advertised (barely lasted to the end of my 8 hour work day). It also crashed constantly or would need to be hard rebooted multiple times a day.

If the HTC One V is anywhere near as smooth as the Elite while having ICS 4.0, it will be a good budget Android phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jolo posted:

How do the ten cents a minute for minutes past 100 work? Do they pull those out of your balance after each call you make with your 100 used up? These things would be clearer if there was some kind of invoice or billing documentation.

It's prepaid: you pay before you can use the minutes so there is no invoice to give you at the end of the month.

You just need to keep a balance and the money is take out of that.

Kerpal posted:

Has anyone tried the HTC One V yet?

I haven't, but the reviews seem pretty positive:
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/18/2950522/htc-one-v-review

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Trip report after a month on StraightTalk with an iPhone 4.

It's awesome and I highly recommend it to all iPhone owners that are getting raped on AT&T. I've done streaming with Spotify in my car, all my MMS have worked perfectly, and I don't have a delay in texts, and YouTube videos load at a pretty good clip. The speeds are good, but I came from Sprint and T-Mobile EDGE so it's been great to have some decent download speeds. I do get some dropped calls, but it's usually been in my house where my service with any network is crap. I use my phone for EVERYTHING now because it's just so nice to have a good smart phone.

Jailbreaking is super simple now, but you really don't have to jailbreak to get on StraightTalk to get MMS working. I do anyway for the extra features.

Porting took longer than I'm used too (about 8-12 hours), but it worked by the next morning when I released my number form T-Mobile that night.

Final bill with taxes and fees was $49. Just can't be beat for a smart phone plan.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cheese eats mouse posted:

Trip report after a month on StraightTalk with an iPhone 4.

It's awesome and I highly recommend it to all iPhone owners that are getting raped on AT&T. I've done streaming with Spotify in my car, all my MMS have worked perfectly, and I don't have a delay in texts, and YouTube videos load at a pretty good clip. The speeds are good, but I came from Sprint and T-Mobile EDGE so it's been great to have some decent download speeds. I do get some dropped calls, but it's usually been in my house where my service with any network is crap. I use my phone for EVERYTHING now because it's just so nice to have a good smart phone.

Jailbreaking is super simple now, but you really don't have to jailbreak to get on StraightTalk to get MMS working. I do anyway for the extra features.

Porting took longer than I'm used too (about 8-12 hours), but it worked by the next morning when I released my number form T-Mobile that night.

Final bill with taxes and fees was $49. Just can't be beat for a smart phone plan.

You have to pay tax? Thats kind of a bummer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Uthor posted:

It's prepaid: you pay before you can use the minutes so there is no invoice to give you at the end of the month.

You just need to keep a balance and the money is take out of that.

Right, or like I do, never carry a balance at all and you'll just automatically get cut off at 100 minutes. It would suck if I had $30 sitting there for the next month and went one minute over and was 10 cents short when the month rolls over.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Zero VGS posted:

Right, or like I do, never carry a balance at all and you'll just automatically get cut off at 100 minutes. It would suck if I had $30 sitting there for the next month and went one minute over and was 10 cents short when the month rolls over.
I leave a $10 balance on my Monthly4G account. I don't go into it, but if I had to I wouldn't have to worry about getting cut off.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Kerpal posted:

Has anyone tried the HTC One V yet? I am still using the Optimus V, which is getting pretty old now. I tried the Optimus Elite last month but it was horribly unstable and the battery life wasn't anywhere near what they advertised (barely lasted to the end of my 8 hour work day). It also crashed constantly or would need to be hard rebooted multiple times a day.

If the HTC One V is anywhere near as smooth as the Elite while having ICS 4.0, it will be a good budget Android phone.

I was on the fence between the EVO V and One V, and I went with the latter. I really like it and don't regret the decision.

My expectations are perhaps not as high as yours, though: I don't care about carrying around a phone-sized computer, and only intend to use it for web browsing, texting, maps, YouTube videos, music, etc. It's only 3G and is single-core, so if you're hung up on 4G data speeds and playing a poo poo-ton of games, you'll be disappointed. I'm not, so those things weren't a big deal to me. [NOTE: I live in LA, where the 3G is....adequate, not great, but not terrible.]

I love it because it's really small (very thin profile, and a smaller footprint which I prefer.) Also, the build quality is in my opinion excellent. It's a coated metallic unibody with a gorilla glass screen, and the pixel density for the screen is more than adequate (~250ppi.) And, capricious as this may be, it just *feels* better than the EVO. It's a nice little phone, especially for $200.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So is the general consensus that the Optimus Elite is pretty awful? My mother is using an Optimus V right now and is looking to upgrade, and that's the phone she said she might get.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time
Just did the math, and bought a Galaxy Nexus for Smarttalk. After 5 months, the phone will have paid for itself and ill be saving $35 / month.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BlackFrost posted:

So is the general consensus that the Optimus Elite is pretty awful? My mother is using an Optimus V right now and is looking to upgrade, and that's the phone she said she might get.
I think only one person on this thread tried it, Kerpal said that it was crashy.

I strongly recommend getting a device running Android 4.0 or later. The One V may cost 33% more but isn't it worth it if it's 100% better?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Can't believe no one's posted the deal of the century in here yet:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-phone/Samsung-Exhibit-4G-Prepaid

The Samsung Exhibit II (recently renamed to Galaxy Exhibit 4G) for $180 shipped, with a $50 prepaid refill card to apply to your account. That's disgustingly good.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I thought about posting that, but I've decided not to recommend any phone that's going to be stuck on Android 2.x, even at a good price.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
What is so bad about Android 2.x anyway? I mean, I understand that eventually some apps won't be compatible with it anymore and that these phones won't get OS updates, but is there something else in addition to these things? Are they going to eventually just not be compatible with anything anymore or something like that?

I have a 2.x phone and I'm perfectly happy with it, it would be nice to get ICS or JB on it but I really don't think it's that important as long as the phone does what I need it to do... am I missing something?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
For those on tmobile $30/month plan, what's your back up for if you run over 100 minutes of talk time?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Hughmoris posted:

For those on tmobile $30/month plan, what's your back up for if you run over 100 minutes of talk time?

Talkatone is my backup (my primary actually). Free calls over 4G or Wifi. For me it is slightly more stable than GrooveIP and it's free instead of five bucks.

Rastor posted:

I thought about posting that, but I've decided not to recommend any phone that's going to be stuck on Android 2.x, even at a good price.

It's not exactly stuck. I had it on CM9 with five minutes of work. Everything works right now except the camera is bugged to only work in Panorama mode. But at the speed those CM9 nightlies are updated these days, I'd give it a few more weeks to be flawless.

the kawaiiest posted:

What is so bad about Android 2.x anyway?

It's starting to get dated, but to the average Joe Schlub, it's perfectly fine. If you're any sort of power user that demands the minutiae of ICS, you can take a few minutes to follow a YouTube walkthrough and put it on there yourself.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 12, 2012

modernfuturist
Jul 25, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

From what I've read, most users of that plan keep $5-$25 dollars extra in their prepaid account, and if they go over the 100 minutes, they will be charged $0.10/minute.

If you are talking over 250 minutes a month, it would probably be wiser to go to Straight Talk.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Hughmoris posted:

Like modernfuturist said, I keep some extra money in the account so that I can go over if I need to. To conserve minutes, I tend to make outgoing calls using skype over wifi or 3g ($3/mo unlimited, plus it can be configured to show my cell phone's caller ID).
I wasn't a big talker before (I averaged about 320 minutes/mo last year) and by using skype for outgoing calls I've managed to stay under 100 nearly every month since I switched.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Zero VGS posted:

It's starting to get dated, but to the average Joe Schlub, it's perfectly fine. If you're any sort of power user that demands the minutiae of ICS, you can take a few minutes to follow a YouTube walkthrough and put it on there yourself.
I can't, actually, my phone's video recording doesn't work on ICS and probably never will. I have a G2x.

I was looking for a phone with ICS because I was afraid that developers would just stop making apps for GB, but I just couldn't find one that had the camera I wanted and didn't either cost a fortune or lock me into a contract and a $80/mo bill. I hope there are enough GB phones out there that will keep developers from making apps that aren't compatible with it, because I plan to keep this phone for another year at least.

e: I know the G2x has a bad rep but mine works great and I love it. I probably got one of the good ones.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

the kawaiiest posted:

I can't, actually, my phone's video recording doesn't work on ICS and probably never will. I have a G2x.

I was looking for a phone with ICS because I was afraid that developers would just stop making apps for GB, but I just couldn't find one that had the camera I wanted and didn't either cost a fortune or lock me into a contract and a $80/mo bill. I hope there are enough GB phones out there that will keep developers from making apps that aren't compatible with it, because I plan to keep this phone for another year at least.

e: I know the G2x has a bad rep but mine works great and I love it. I probably got one of the good ones.

I also have a g2x and I did a million rom things to it and now it's okay, mostly. On a thirty dollar a month plan I'm perfectly happy.

We'll never get an official ics but the o2x might get something and we can take the drivers from that and cobble something together.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

the kawaiiest posted:

If you have Clockwork Recovery on your G2X and want to try an ICS with a working camera, this is the one that I put on my brother's G2X: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1575199

Edit: You might be right that it won't record with the official ICS app, I'm reading a post from three months back that says there's lots of Play Store apps that will do it though.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 12, 2012

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Couple questions for when they ship the Galaxy Nexus out again:

1). Can I use a T-Mobile SIM card someone's already had activated, but isn't anymore? Someone I know said they have one that I could use.

2). Can I port my number from Sprint? I'm off contract at the moment.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

the kawaiiest posted:

What is so bad about Android 2.x anyway? I mean, I understand that eventually some apps won't be compatible with it anymore and that these phones won't get OS updates, but is there something else in addition to these things? Are they going to eventually just not be compatible with anything anymore or something like that?
Moving from Android 2.x to 4.x is like moving from Windows XP to Windows 7. It's not that programs work in a fundamentally different way or something, and you can still install almost every program on Windows XP. But the new system is better looking and smoother and just plain more pleasant to use in every way, and once you use it for a little while you find yourself refusing to recommend anything less.

the kawaiiest posted:

I was looking for a phone with ICS because I was afraid that developers would just stop making apps for GB, but I just couldn't find one that had the camera I wanted and didn't either cost a fortune or lock me into a contract and a $80/mo bill.
There are approximately eleventy bajillion Android devices running Gingerbread, developers are going to keep supporting it past the time your current phone is dead.

Edit:

Concurred posted:

1). Can I use a T-Mobile SIM card someone's already had activated, but isn't anymore? Someone I know said they have one that I could use.
Possibly, but the problem is to get on T-Mobile prepaid you need a prepaid service activation code. Maybe their sales department could provide one for you?

Concurred posted:

Yes.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 12, 2012

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Gourd of Taste posted:

I also have a g2x and I did a million rom things to it and now it's okay, mostly. On a thirty dollar a month plan I'm perfectly happy.
I rooted mine but kept the stock rom and it's working great for me. Are there any advantages to putting another rom on it? I haven't had any problems with mine, no "sleep of death" or anything like that. I've got it on the $30 plan too.

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: You might be right that it won't record with the official ICS app, I'm reading a post from three months back that says there's lots of Play Store apps that will do it though.
Last I read, HD video recording on this phone did not work at all on ICS regardless of the app you're using because of some sort of compatibility problem with the video drivers. I'll look again though, since I'd love to upgrade. Maybe things have changed.

Rastor posted:

Moving from Android 2.x to 4.x is like moving from Windows XP to Windows 7. It's not that programs work in a fundamentally different way or something, and you can still install almost every program on Windows XP. But the new system is better looking and smoother and just plain more pleasant to use in every way, and once you use it for a little while you find yourself refusing to recommend anything less.
Ah. Well this is my first ever smartphone -- my previous phone was $15 prepaid thing from Walmart, so to me it's all new and shiny and seems really fast.

e: sorry, just realized I'm derailing the thread. :( My bad.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
No prob, head to the rooting thread for ROM support on your G2X. Since you said it's already rooted, just get Clockwork Mod Recovery on there. With it you can back up the current state of your phone, install a new ROM to test, and restore back if you don't like it.

Concurred posted:

1) T-Mo sells the correct prepaid SIM card for 99 cents with free shipping, and it comes with something like $3.32 of credit on it for no reason. Unless you absolutely can't wait (and you can, because the T-Mo sim will reach you before any Nexus will right now) then I'd get that to be sure it will work.

2) Sure, just plan ahead for up to around 48 hours of wonkery as the porting process does it's thing.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does StraightTalk charge per activation of sim? I was looking into VM but don't really like their phones, I figure if I have to pay 250-350 for a new phone I might as well get the Nexus as I don't really like how clunky/big the Evo feels.

Does anyone know a good app for bandwidth monitoring when not on wireless for when I do upgrade to Straighttalk?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I just ported my number to Google Voice and now it forwards to my new number on tmobile. That way if I switch carriers again, all I have to do is change the forwarding info to the new number. No wait time.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

jeeves posted:

Does anyone know a good app for bandwidth monitoring when not on wireless for when I do upgrade to Straighttalk?

The built-in bandwidth monitoring on ICS and Jellybean (Settings -> Data Usage) is extremely robust, use that. You can check each and every app's exact usage, disable background data on any of them, etc.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Concurred posted:

Go down to walmart and get a $20 preaid T-Mobile phone. Its an activation kit AND a backup phone.
Or just order a SIM from T-Mo for like a buck.

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
I have a hilariously stupid question. So the a couple of iPhone models are available on Virgin Mobile. Does anyone wonder if the new iPhone will be eventually available with them too (admittedly only with low gig and at full price)?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Selenite posted:

I have a hilariously stupid question. So the a couple of iPhone models are available on Virgin Mobile. Does anyone wonder if the new iPhone will be eventually available with them too (admittedly only with low gig and at full price)?

Probably eventually. Given that they haven't actually announced the new iPhone yet though, it's anyone's guess. The i4s being on Virgin is probably Sprint trying to get rid of their stock of them before the new one comes out, though, just at a guess.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the kawaiiest posted:

I have a 2.x phone and I'm perfectly happy with it, it would be nice to get ICS or JB on it but I really don't think it's that important as long as the phone does what I need it to do... am I missing something?

It's more the headache of not getting the nicer more polished versions of Android especially when the update adds in neat new features.

And jellybean is supposedly a big improvement in overall quickness for thing such as scrolling and the transition animations.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 13, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Edit: There was a post here but now it's gone because arguing with people solves nothing, even if I find their advice and life decisions questionable. Carry on.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 13, 2012

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

the kawaiiest posted:

The difference in usability, stability, and smoothness on ICS makes older versions of android just terrible in comparison. It's like the difference between XP and windows 7 - XP does everything 7 does and it's not like XP is any less usable, but you really should go out of your way to get 7/ics. I was of the impression that gingerbread was fine on my triumph and didn't really care about ICS but after using Nexus S ICS for a month gingerbread is just terrible outdated poo poo. It's not just a numerical upgrade.

And installing unstable and questionable cm9 builds on your phone is technically running ICS, but with a fraction of the stability and smoothness that well supported ICS has. People swear by their hacked cm9 installs and for a lot of phones it's still the best rom avaliable but you shouldn't spend $200 on a phone that only has unofficial cobbled-together ICS builds and runs an outdated OS stock. Especially when the nexus S sells for close to that and it's probably still the best smartphone deal next to the gNex

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I just received my sim card activation kit from Straight Talk (AT&T Compatible Micro SIM + Unlimited* Plan). Was it supposed to arrive with a $45 refill card?

Mine only had the Sim activation kit in it and I had to purchase a months worth of access when I activated it. From the picture on the site, it looked it came with a $45 prepaid card.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
edit: Nevermind, according to the first post Simple Mobile throttles more than the t-mobile plans.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 13, 2012

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

JayKay posted:

I just received my sim card activation kit from Straight Talk (AT&T Compatible Micro SIM + Unlimited* Plan). Was it supposed to arrive with a $45 refill card?

Mine only had the Sim activation kit in it and I had to purchase a months worth of access when I activated it. From the picture on the site, it looked it came with a $45 prepaid card.
If you paid $60 for it, it was supposed to come with a $45 refill code, yes.

Stick100 posted:

edit: Nevermind, according to the first post Simple Mobile throttles more than the t-mobile plans.
Same or worse.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Rastor posted:

If you paid $60 for it, it was supposed to come with a $45 refill code, yes.
Same or worse.

Yep, it looks like they forgot to include it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mister Snips posted:

I was of the impression that gingerbread was fine on my triumph and didn't really care about ICS but after using Nexus S ICS for a month gingerbread is just terrible outdated poo poo. It's not just a numerical upgrade.

And the recent Jellybean update is another really good improvement on my sort of old Nexus. Thing such as the screen transitions and overall responsiveness of the control are greatly improved.

Terminus
May 6, 2008

BlackFrost posted:

I got one a little over a month ago and I can't recommend it at this point. It crashes pretty often and I have to pop my battery out and then back in to be able to turn it back on. The battery life also leaves a lot to be desired. Right now I'm hoping I can return it and maybe get an HTC One V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Terminus posted:

I got one a little over a month ago and I can't recommend it at this point. It crashes pretty often and I have to pop my battery out and then back in to be able to turn it back on. The battery life also leaves a lot to be desired. Right now I'm hoping I can return it and maybe get an HTC One V.

LG tends to be one of the more mediocre companies for smartphones, at least for Android HTC and Samsung seem to crank out the best products overall.

• Locked thread