Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Nihiliste posted:

Just a little update, since people might be interested in experiences with the Galaxy Nexus and T-Mobile.

I did in fact get a full-sized SIM with my activation kit, but to my surprise the pentaband Nexus uses a standard SIM slot, so no problems there. Micro SIMs should work too.

I had a much harder time actually activating the phone. I went to the T-Mobile website to sign up for the $30 Unlimited Web/Text plan, but the site wouldn't let me turn on a needed AutoPay option, so I had to call and finish the set up process there. That created still more problems though, since the agent didn't listen and gave me a $30 plan with 1,500 minutes, but a whopping 30MB of data - needless to say, that's how I discovered they botched things. I had to call today to sort things out. Two days later, I'm still waiting for them to port my number over from my previous carrier.

Just be prepared for some hassle with T-Mobile, ultimately. I get the sense they're not really prepared for customers wanting that $30 Unlimited option.

As a counterpoint to this, I activated my $30 plan with a GNex with no issues at all. Needless to say, YMMV, but don't get the idea that this is what will happen if you try to activate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I also recently just activated/set up my $30 unlimited plan via the website with absolutely no issues at all. Maybe it has something to do with the autopay option because I did mine with one of the prepaid cards and it worked great, only took 8hours or so for my number to be ported over from my old at&t plan as well.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Nihiliste posted:

Just a little update, since people might be interested in experiences with the Galaxy Nexus and T-Mobile.

I did in fact get a full-sized SIM with my activation kit, but to my surprise the pentaband Nexus uses a standard SIM slot, so no problems there. Micro SIMs should work too.

I had a much harder time actually activating the phone. I went to the T-Mobile website to sign up for the $30 Unlimited Web/Text plan, but the site wouldn't let me turn on a needed AutoPay option, so I had to call and finish the set up process there. That created still more problems though, since the agent didn't listen and gave me a $30 plan with 1,500 minutes, but a whopping 30MB of data - needless to say, that's how I discovered they botched things. I had to call today to sort things out. Two days later, I'm still waiting for them to port my number over from my previous carrier.

Just be prepared for some hassle with T-Mobile, ultimately. I get the sense they're not really prepared for customers wanting that $30 Unlimited option.

Something similar happened when I activated my phone back in June. The web site wouldn't let me do it so I had to call them, and the person I spoke with set me up with the wrong plan. Fortunately I saw it on my account page on the web site and called them back, and they sorted it out fairly quickly.

I think the guy I talked to wasn't even aware of the $30 plan to be honest. He didn't speak English very well though so maybe he just misunderstood, I'm not sure. It all worked out in the end though!

e: I did not want or set up autopay, the web site would not accept some number that I had to type in, that's why I had to call them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Nihiliste posted:

I had a much harder time actually activating the phone. I went to the T-Mobile website to sign up for the $30 Unlimited Web/Text plan, but the site wouldn't let me turn on a needed AutoPay option, so I had to call and finish the set up process there.
You know you can sign up for auto-pay later...right?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I had problems with my activation code not working online, but they set my plan up fine over the phone.

I had problems getting auto-pay working, but that was user error.

It took about 48 hours to port my number, though. I did it after using the phone for a month and a) customer service said it would take a while coming from a pre-paid service (Virgin Mobile) and b) took down the info wrong, so I had to call them twice.

There is something wrong with my account on the website, though: it never lets me log in. I will do a password change and can get in just fine, but as soon as I log out, the password doesn't work again. It's pretty annoying, but I hardly ever have to log in.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

ilkhan posted:

You know you can sign up for auto-pay later...right?

The website wouldn't let me complete my activation without setting up AutoPay.

Stalling Grad
Feb 3, 2009
I had no issues on my StraightTalk activation (ATT). I was pleasantly shocked.

Was weird that my port to GoogleVoice took exactly 24 hours to complete. How long do ports normally take?

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

the kawaiiest posted:

Something similar happened when I activated my phone back in June. The web site wouldn't let me do it so I had to call them, and the person I spoke with set me up with the wrong plan. Fortunately I saw it on my account page on the web site and called them back, and they sorted it out fairly quickly.

I think the guy I talked to wasn't even aware of the $30 plan to be honest. He didn't speak English very well though so maybe he just misunderstood, I'm not sure. It all worked out in the end though!

e: I did not want or set up autopay, the web site would not accept some number that I had to type in, that's why I had to call them.

This. I had the same problem with T-Mobile's site so I called them up. It took about an hour to get someone who would acknowledge that there were two different $30 plans, but even then they flat-out said that they could not help me if I wanted to sign up for the $30/mo 100minute/5gb data plan and that I would have to pick a different plan or wait for the site to start working. They told me if I wanted that plan.

The next day I was able to sign up online.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The joy continues. I got a text last night saying that my number had been successfully ported over from Virgin (I just lost my Virginity, guys!), but checking my Galaxy Nexus shows the same courtesy number active, and now I can't send texts. Any ideas?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Nihiliste posted:

The joy continues. I got a text last night saying that my number had been successfully ported over from Virgin (I just lost my Virginity, guys!), but checking my Galaxy Nexus shows the same courtesy number active, and now I can't send texts. Any ideas?

Silly question, but did you reboot your phone?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Tremors posted:

Silly question, but did you reboot your phone?

I'll give it at shot. Should've thought of that earlier.

Update: The right number is displayed now, but I still can't send texts!

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 8, 2012

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Someone should update the OP to note that you can't change your voicemail service with T-Mobile pre-paid. You can't even use T-Mo's own visual voicemail app on Android.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

UnbornApple posted:

Someone should update the OP to note that you can't change your voicemail service with T-Mobile pre-paid. You can't even use T-Mo's own visual voicemail app on Android.
Yes this is true. No visual voicemail on T-mobile prepaid (with any device, android or not)

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Nihiliste posted:

I'll give it at shot. Should've thought of that earlier.

Update: The right number is displayed now, but I still can't send texts!

Keep waiting. Number porting is some weird voodoo poo poo and just because they say your number is ported doesn't mean all the services are hooked in there perfect. I ported from VM to T-Mo and the same stuff happened to me and took maybe 36 hours to clear. Calling people won't really help, just gotta wait your rear end off.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".
Was there a prepaid non-smartphone thread? I couldn't find it in IYG.

I wanted to get a sim that I could load with just a few minutes and have my son carry a cheap burner for emergencies. I have an unlocked nokia that would be perfect. I'd expect him to never use it, except for emergencies, so I didn't want to add him onto my family plan. I was looking for something where you buy 50 minutes that last for a year or something like that.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
When I ported from vm to tmobile it was pretty much instant. 5 minutes after I got off the phone with them I rebooted and everything worked. On the other hand my brother did the same and it took 4 days and a dozen calls to tmo to get it through.

It seems completely random on how long it takes and in these days of instant everything a system not based on the alignment of the planets or whatever they do would be great. I guess I got lucky and the sacrificial lamb was ready to go on the chopping block when I called?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Finally got (most) of the T-Mobile mess sorted. Turns out they didn't consider my account paid for, even though I'd just paid a few days prior. Now I'm trying to fix the double payment I had to make to get my phone working.

A question, though - I can't seem to log into my Virgin Mobile account anymore. Does that mean they've gone ahead and cancelled after the successful port?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Yes.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I had no problem activating my nexus on t-mo with an activation kit, but I'm in some spooky status wasteland at this point. The phone works, but I have no account on t-mobile.com. As of a few days ago when I tried to create an account I got an error that said "your phone is in a status that prohibits this action, contact customer support". I did contact customer support and they assured me this would be taken care of promptly and that I'd get a txt. I never got a txt, so I just tried again, and now get an error that says "sorry, we don't recognize this as a t-mobile number".

Given that I can make & receive calls and use 4g, I'm not too fazed. Who knows, maybe I won't get billed! :v:

I've been having trouble getting the bittorrent protocol to work at all, either through easy tether or through the android uTorrent app. Not a big deal to me, but is that to be expected?

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 10, 2012

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Thanks. It seems like such an obvious thing, but I'm going to be out of the country for a couple of weeks and don't want to leave anything up to chance.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So whats it take to trade my existing T-Mo SIM for a T-Mo micro-SIM?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

ilkhan posted:

An x-acto knife, sandpaper, and balls of steel.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

ilkhan posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Micro-SIM-Cutter-Converter-adapters/dp/B003UEWF8I

Might be a bit more precise than the previous suggestion.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Zero VGS posted:

An x-acto knife, sandpaper, and balls of steel.

Is it really that hard? The step by step pictures i've seen make it look sorta simple.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
So my co-worker had to buy a new Virgin Mobile phone and picked up an HTC One V. I had the good fortune to noodle about on it for a little while and I must say it's very impressive for the price. Though it runs an older MSM85xx Single Core processor and a measly 512mb of ram, it managed to do well for basic app launching and menu swiping.

He is an extreme basic user, doesn't even have email to save contacts or access the play store, so the addition of the Transfer app in the stock OS to move around contacts from phone to phone is a very nice touch. He really liked how bright and clear the screen is compared to his old Optimus V.

HTC didn't really rock the boat when it comes to design for this phone, but the inclusion of the chin works well for making it stand out a little from its siblings and other low end smartphones. Construction is very solid and I could see handing one to a drop prone teenager without a case with no qualms. HTC really nailed the premium feel on this device. Say what you will about their software, they make phones to last.

I didn't have the opportunity to test the camera, but from what I've read it's very good for a 5mp shooter with balanced colors and fairly snappy performance. Sense 4 is stripped way down from its predecessors and from what I've read this version is stripped down from the One Vs bigger siblings. Some graphic fanciness has been dropped in favor of speedy performance and frankly, it shows.

Though my time with it was short, I really like the build quality and performance of the One V. Even though the single core processor will probably chug a bit when swapping between a bunch of applications rapidly, for a very basic smartphone user I could see this ticking off a lot of the basics. We made a few test calls and audio quality was extremely sharp, almost like he was standing next to me. The 3.7" screen is vibrant and has great color fidelity all across the board with excellent viewing angles. I cannot stress enough how nice this screen is and it's very pleasing to me that HTC hasn't forgotten to include a solid interface on their low end.

I'd give this phone a solid "buy it on sale for a first time smartphone user and/or someone looking to make a solid upgrade from an Optimus V". Though it's a bit dated by now, the screen is simply astonishing and the build quality more than makes up for somewhat lackluster performance. Sense 4 is a bit of a mixed bag but didn't really slow the device down to much. I'd love to see one running a cleaned up stock rom and a nice 1.5ghz overclock.

Sorry if this comes across a bit shill like but it's a sweet little phone and I thought it important to share. :shobon:

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 11, 2012

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Fister posted:

Is it really that hard? The step by step pictures i've seen make it look sorta simple.

It's more that it's not hard to gently caress up, and if you do, welp, good luck getting your phone number / account back.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

You realize you could just ask for another SIM right? It's not like if the SIM breaks your actual phone number disappears into the ether.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Asking is one thing, getting is another. I've had to give up a T-Mobile phone number because my old sim "wasn't compatible" with a new phone and they said they couldn't give me a new SIM that would preserve the number.

Granted, I didn't press the issue, so maybe others have had better luck. But a SIM replacement is a a little exotic of a request, I think the only legit time you'd ever need it is for a stolen phone.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

That's really bizarre. I lost my AT&T SIM in Canada and when I got back I just stopped by and picked up a new one. I am pretty sure it's actually more work for them to give you a new phone number on a new SIM rather than just move your existing number to a new SIM. With THREE form factors for SIM cards now I don't think it's that exotic for someone to ask for a new one.

NyetscapeNavigator fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 11, 2012

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
On the topic of SIM replacements, I massively hosed up activating a Straight Talk SIM. I was filling out the online form, had all my poo poo ready - phone with freshly installed SIM, account time card, old VM PIN and number.

I started filling out the online form to activate, timecard, and port. Once I got to the porting segment it asked me for my VM Acc#. Apparently this is some secret poo poo because it's not listed anywhere, you gotta call.

So I take a quick (15 minute) trip to tech support land and by the time I get off the phone with the account number, the page has expired. I hit the ol F5 and somehow (proably user error I am dumb) the SIM gets activated without porting.

So the website gives me a number and wishes me a great day. gently caress! I call and ask if I can still port, and duh, no dice. I talk to the nice lady and she tells me they can't port to that SIM, but they'll send me a new one.

Three days later it shows up via fedex, no charge. :krad: Totally wasn't expecting to be treated that well by a prepaid phone service. Awesome.

This time I'll just call.

I'll call today.
I'll call now.
Sears Wal-Mart Straight Talk?

(I have literally never been inside a wal-mart)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Smythe posted:

I'll call today.
I'll call now.
Sears Wal-Mart Straight Talk?

(I have literally never been inside a wal-mart)

Cool.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

spengler posted:

Goodbuy, VM Triumph, hello T-Mo Nexus.

Is it worth RMAing and then trying to resell my Triumph, or should I just shoot it?

You can't even sell it if you tried

I tried to sell mine for parts and three separate people won the auction on ebay and they just didn't send payment

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Also thread relevant: I recommended Straight Talk AT&T to my boss since he needed unlimited voice and is very light on data. He activated the SIM and then tried to port his number in, and they said "Actually, you can't port the number after you've activated, you can only call us before. We'll leave this SIM active for 5 days while we mail you a new one, and you can call us when you get that."

Fuckin' weirdos. Never heard of that system before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zero VGS posted:

Granted, I didn't press the issue, so maybe others have had better luck. But a SIM replacement is a a little exotic of a request, I think the only legit time you'd ever need it is for a stolen phone.

People lose phones every day and don't lose their phone numbers.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
So, I've been using an AT&T frequency phone on T-Mobile for a while now.

Recently I've noticed a few of the cities I visit in the San Francisco Bay Area have had working 3.5G access -- that is, T-Mobile really is rolling out the frequency they won from AT&T

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

ShadowHawk posted:

So, I've been using an AT&T frequency phone on T-Mobile for a while now.

Recently I've noticed a few of the cities I visit in the San Francisco Bay Area have had working 3.5G access -- that is, T-Mobile really is rolling out the frequency they won from AT&T

Yep. They started rolling the service out a few weeks ago. There's an unofficial map of PCS-band HSPA "sightings" here.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So anyone looking to buy a Galaxy Nexus and switch over to T-Mobile (if you haven't already), you might want to hold off for just a bit. It looks like a new phone is on the horizon, according to this article. LG is making a Nexus phone, it is going to be released through the Google Play store, it is going to be very much top-end, and it's only $50 more than the GNex.

Of course, even if that's too expensive, I imagine releases like this will only push the GNex's price lower, which is honestly what I'm looking forward to the most.

I know it reeks a little of bullshit, but I used to write for ByteNow. I can vouch for their sources being valid.

Regardless, we'll find out for sure at the end of the month. It might be worth it to hold out til then just in case it's real.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 15, 2014

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BlackFrost posted:

So anyone looking to buy a Galaxy Nexus and switch over to T-Mobile (if you haven't already), you might want to hold off for just a bit.

Regardless, we'll find out for sure at the end of the month. It might be worth it to hold out til then just in case it's real.

The rumor for awhile has been google will release multiple Nexus devices this year (looks like at least this LG and GNex 2 GT-i9260). I'm just hoping for one with a 4in or smaller screen made by HTC as much as I move the GNex it's just too big for some people. I'd love a Nexus 1 form factor with GNex hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Is it going to be pentaband?

• Locked thread