Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Is there a trick to the t-mobile refill page? I haven't had to do this in awhile but trying to pay by credit or e-check has pretty much failed at every corner I've turned. I don't remember it being this broken before.

[e]Erk, just read the previous page. Looks like I'll just have to call them and get prepared for some hazing.

There website/store/refill service seems to have lots of issues, one day its working perfect then its down completely the next or one part of it is functioning while the others are not. I had to go to a 24hour Walmart last night at 2am to buy a refill card because their debit/credit refill service was not functioning at all, but the refill card redemption part was working just fine.

Think that's just something we have to deal with/work around for now, hopefully they get it consistently working eventually.

Edit: VVVVV Which one are you guys buying from Callingmart to use with the prepaid plans? Thats the only reason I didn't try buying from them yet is because they have like 3 different cards listed on the site and I cannot tell which one(s) are meant for the prepaid plans or if it even matters?

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
Seriously just buy your activations through callingmart, I've been doing it for like six months on two lines and have never had a problem. This isn't an advertisement and I'm not throwing up any kind of referral link, it's just much better than dealing with t mobile.

edit: plus they have sales

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Gourd of Taste posted:

Seriously just buy your activations through callingmart, I've been doing it for like six months on two lines and have never had a problem. This isn't an advertisement and I'm not throwing up any kind of referral link, it's just much better than dealing with t mobile.

Yea, and if you wait for them you never have to pay full price. They usually have a 5% off coupon once a month, and you get "points" worth another 1%. I buy ~ $80 in refills for two phones and typically pay about $75/mo.

JerseyMonkey
Jul 1, 2007

Nice article summarizing the available prepaid plans similar to OP's design: http://androidandme.com/2012/10/news/top-5-pre-paid-wireless-plans-for-android-phones/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Gourd of Taste posted:

Plus they have no loving sales tax.

100% Dundee posted:

Which one are you guys buying from Callingmart to use with the prepaid plans? Thats the only reason I didn't try buying from them yet is because they have like 3 different cards listed on the site and I cannot tell which one(s) are meant for the prepaid plans or if it even matters?

It's the one that is NOT "Minutes to go". It is this one: http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=265

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 18, 2012

Stalling Grad
Feb 3, 2009
But no way to get Straight Talk from calling mart?

Also liked seeing Ting sponsor the latest episode of Revision 3's Film State. Interesting the host didn't mention the $6 a month per device.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Stalling Grad posted:

But no way to get Straight Talk from calling mart?

Also liked seeing Ting sponsor the latest episode of Revision 3's Film State. Interesting the host didn't mention the $6 a month per device.
We've also had Leo LaPorte say we've got the iPhone. :shobon:

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
So apparently the "Call Over Wifi" built in feature on my phone doesn't work with the TMob $30 100/unlimited/unlimited plan so what VOIP app is the best recommended one to use?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Roulette posted:

So apparently the "Call Over Wifi" built in feature on my phone doesn't work with the TMob $30 100/unlimited/unlimited plan so what VOIP app is the best recommended one to use?

GrooveIP does free calls over WiFi, using Google Voice, paid version does data calls. Talkatone does both free.

Both apps seem about the same, but if you only need WiFi calls you could compare them for free.

If you want to get technical, supposedly integrating the phone with a SIP server gets you less call lag versus using apps.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
As posted in the android phone thread: http://www.androidcentral.com/googl...t.+29+in+NYC%21

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

GrooveIP does free calls over WiFi, using Google Voice, paid version does data calls. Talkatone does both free.

Both apps seem about the same, but if you only need WiFi calls you could compare them for free.

If you want to get technical, supposedly integrating the phone with a SIP server gets you less call lag versus using apps.

Skype will also do calls over wifi or HSPA for $3/mo and requires effectively no effort to set up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
GrooveIP and Talkatone are both "Hey, can I use your Google Voice account? OK", and that's usually all the setup you need. Faster than giving Skype your credit card at least. Unless Skype is promising better call quality/stability I don't think the fee is justified.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

GrooveIP and Talkatone are both "Hey, can I use your Google Voice account? OK", and that's usually all the setup you need. Faster than giving Skype your credit card at least. Unless Skype is promising better call quality/stability I don't think the fee is justified.

Huh, must have been a while since I tried GrooveIP.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
I am about to dump Sprint and snag a couple Galaxy Nexus off the play store to use on some T-mobile prepay plans. I had shady coverage in my house with Sprint and they provided me with an Airvana which solved all my problems. I am willing to buy another microcell/signal booster out of pocket to solve this problem if there is one after the switch, but I can't seem to find one that is compatible with prepaid phones. Does anybody have any info for something like the Sprint Airvana that works for prepaid plans?

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
Is there a way to disable these ridiculous "Free T-Mo Msg" texts I keep getting with their prepaid? They just sent me one telling me that "renewing your Monthly4G plan is easy" from the same drat number that they used to inform me my auto-pay was about to happen two days ago. Why is it not smart enough to know not to bug me when the payment has ALREADY gone through?!

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
It's like 2 or 3 texts a month dude, you could block texts from that number I guess?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I've never even heard of a T-Mobile specific femtocell, nevermind one for it's prepaid stuff. You could try calling a store and asking. It sucks that it's not as easy to buy things like this as it is for open freqs like WiFi.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Zero VGS posted:

I've never even heard of a T-Mobile specific femtocell, nevermind one for it's prepaid stuff. You could try calling a store and asking. It sucks that it's not as easy to buy things like this as it is for open freqs like WiFi.

Well; I have been digging and digging, t-mobile has something called the Nextivity, which is a 4g/3g repeater. You can get them free from t-mobile if you have a contract, but I see them for sale on ebay for 150-200. I am guessing the prepaid Tmobile would work on this since the SIM card would just be like any other Tmobile phone? Anyone have a definitive answer on that? Hate to blow 200 bucks on one and it not work.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Sounds like they're rare enough that you could relist it and get your money back if it didn't work. You can be the thread guinea pig!

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Zero VGS posted:

Sounds like they're rare enough that you could relist it and get your money back if it didn't work. You can be the thread guinea pig!

Ha! I will most likely order one if my service sucks. My Galaxy Nexus should be here at the beginning of the week along with my tmobile sim card. Guess we will find out soon!

Stalling Grad
Feb 3, 2009
Anyone seen the Straight Talk home service yet? Looks to be 3g device with two rj9 connector s and a battery backup.

http://straighttalkhomephone.com

Interesting concept. How much is cheapo home phone from DSL/Dish companies? Doesn't Comcast normally throw in phone for free bundled for a while?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
In practice I can't see that being better or more economical than just getting a magic jack.

Double Bass
Feb 20, 2011
So I have an old AT&T iPhone 3GS 16g that's just hangin' around. I read that virgin mobile is doing prepaid iphones on their network now. Currently I'm paying $80 a month with AT&T for an android phone but my contract runs up soon and I kinda wanna go back to my iphone, can I use my 3Gs on the virgin mobile network for their $40 prepaid plan?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
nope.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Why not take it to Straight Talk for $45/month?

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

To elaborate a bit, Virgin will only provide service to Virgin branded devices, and they run completely different network technology than AT&T. (Sprint's CDMA network is what Virgin runs off.)

I agree that Straight Talk's $45 plan is probably more what you're after.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Just making sure I have this right... If I have my real number on Google voice forwarded to a crappy number on TMobile, if I just call with the phone, won't the receiver's caller id see the crappy number? They will only see the real number if I use something like groove IP?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Bobulus posted:

Just making sure I have this right... If I have my real number on Google voice forwarded to a crappy number on TMobile, if I just call with the phone, won't the receiver's caller id see the crappy number? They will only see the real number if I use something like groove IP?

Correct.

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp

sanchez posted:

Correct.

Incorrect, Google voice integration 'spoofs' your gv number. You can set it to ask each time or automatically show one or the other.

This all uses the cell network but iirc briefly requires a data connection.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You recall correctly; if you can't get a data connection, Google Voice will fail and use the phone's built-in number. It will toss up an error about it though.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
If you don't have a data connection (for the GVoice app to take over your outgoing call), you can make a call by calling your own Google Voice number and pressing 2 before it starts playing your voicemails.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

goku chewbacca posted:

If you don't have a data connection (for the GVoice app to take over your outgoing call), you can make a call by calling your own Google Voice number and pressing 2 before it starts playing your voicemails.

Nice, thanks for that tip. I carry a work dumbphone with unlimited minutes in addition to my smartphone, so now I can make outgoing calls without confusing people.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Gourd of Taste posted:

Incorrect, Google voice integration 'spoofs' your gv number. You can set it to ask each time or automatically show one or the other.

This all uses the cell network but iirc briefly requires a data connection.

Is this for a particular network? I just tried calling from my TMo phone and got the prepaid number on the other end rather than my GV one. If that could be changed it'd be a huge improvement.

EDIT: :downs: I had it set to use GV for international calls only.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 23, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
According to howardforums, this new Verizon MVNO is launching around 11/1 and near year's end they will have 4G:

http://www.talkforgood.com/why-choose-talkforgood/

$55 per month for unlimited everything with verizon 4g is pretty nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mister Fister posted:

According to howardforums, this new Verizon MVNO is launching around 11/1 and near year's end they will have 4G:

http://www.talkforgood.com/why-choose-talkforgood/

$55 per month for unlimited everything with verizon 4g is pretty nice.

Would really like more details on 'unlimited', especially when it comes to data.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
It says you can add a line for $6 too, I'm not sure how that works but if I could pay the 55 + 6 a month for two unlimited lines or whatever, I'd just split it with a bunch of friends and it would be cheaper than anything.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Zero VGS posted:

It says you can add a line for $6 too, I'm not sure how that works but if I could pay the 55 + 6 a month for two unlimited lines or whatever, I'd just split it with a bunch of friends and it would be cheaper than anything.

The $6 probably refers to the pay as you go option they sell. It's listed as "$6/mo + Pay for what you use" so it would make sense that adding a line would cost another $6. Pageplus already sells an Unlim Talk, Text and 2 GB of data plan on Verizon for $55.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Got my galaxy nexus from google last night, really, really nice freaking phone. I love the vanilla feel to it. Transfer over to T-mobile prepay was super easy. I get 1-2 bars in most of my house but have a few spots where I get no service which was the same as sprint before they sent me an airaive. I bought a t-mobile Nextivity cel-fi repeater off ebay for 150 bucks. I will let you know how well it works once I get it installed in case anyone is considering one. LET THE SAVINGS BEGIN!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Choicecut posted:

Got my galaxy nexus from google last night, really, really nice freaking phone. I love the vanilla feel to it. Transfer over to T-mobile prepay was super easy. I get 1-2 bars in most of my house but have a few spots where I get no service which was the same as sprint before they sent me an airaive. I bought a t-mobile Nextivity cel-fi repeater off ebay for 150 bucks. I will let you know how well it works once I get it installed in case anyone is considering one. LET THE SAVINGS BEGIN!

One of us, one of us... If you're looking for a simple case, I suggest one of these. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...axy+nexus&ajr=0

No, I don't have a problem :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't think I'm going to case my gnex... I grabbed one of those pogo pin charging docks and the thing is so loving slick.

• Locked thread