Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
This is a total shot in the dark but to start, I'm looking at getting the Galaxy Nexus with a prepaid AT&T Straight Talk SIM.

The only issue is that I live up in the great state of Maine. Great if you love trees, not so great in terms of coverage.

Now I know from the OP that the AT&T coverage map covers the areas where I'd like to be able to use my phone (Bangor, Portland, Bar Harbor) but I'd really like to hear some experiences with the data / voice in the area before I plunk down 350 bux on a brand new unlocked GSM phone to try it out only to find that I am limited to 2G speeds because of my location.

I'm nervous because while the AT&T coverage map shows HSPA+ in my areas, the prepaid map only shows 2G.

Anyone in Maine // been to those areas recently have any input? I'd rather not stay with US Cellular if I can avoid it because I'm about to end grad school and I don't want to be locked in with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
So I plunged into the prepaid world, got a google voice number and I'm a little lost.

I want to make outgoing calls / receive calls only to my google voice number and my prepaid number (whatever it is at any point) is just never going to be known to anyone.

I just want to make sure (I don't actually have the SIM card for the phone yet so I can't synch it to the app just yet) that i have to use the google voice app if I want people to see the non Gvoice number, correct?

Do I need to do anything fancy for sending SMS/MMS or what not? I read that you have to add a 406 number from each individual contact into an 'other' group so that you can use the native sms app on the phone. It's probably easier to just use the google voice app I guess.

Any good guides for this kinda stuff?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

spankmeister posted:

Well poop, I'm gonna be on the move a lot, so that won't work. Thanks anyway.

e: Didn't see that you were literally leaving today or something.

I mean, unless you're going to be swapping SIMS everytime you're on the move you don't need to keep buying them. Once you get the one that's it.

I bought one and it shipped then was here in 2 days (even though it was 3 day shipping). Had to wait an extra day because they make you sign for the package :v:

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
With straight talk, usually when you buy a sim card + 30 days they send you a card with a redemption code.

That way the service can be started when you actually get the card. You should be able to buy it all now and just hold onto it until you're ready.

e: Just checked. If you put the promo code in during checkout you'll be all set.
You chose your SIM, chose the SIM + 1 month and then enter the promo code. Your total will update and they'll send you the SIM card and a time card to be redeemed whenever.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 5, 2012

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
So I'm in the rear end end of Maine and I was wondering about TMo coverage. Their coverage map only lists 2g coverage data wise for my area and I was curious, since AT&T towers are nearby with 3g coverage if I would be able to roam on their network with data if I do the $30 100/unlimited plan.

If data roaming isn't included in that then obviously it won't work, but I'm not really a big fan of straight talk and I'm just looking at my other options.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Stick100 posted:

You have people text your google voice number... In google voice you register your phone to recieve the text, you'll also get an email. You can also change your an Android phone to call out on GV. I choose not to because it's a little slow/buggy unless you have solid data every where. I call out on my Sim line, and just tell people my GV number.

If you call out on your sim line, doesn't it pop up on their caller ID as your sim number?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Does anyone know if the iPhone 5 that Straight Talk offers through Walmart does LTE? I'm already on Straight Talk with an iPhone 4 and want to upgrade, but from what I've read it seems like it would just be easier to get an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple and cut down my old SIM (I know the Straight Talk iPhone 5 is on Verizon so that wouldn't be an option if I went that route). Suggestions?

I don't think there's any MVNO that does LTE no matter which phone you have.

e: Looks like I misread the question.

VVVVV You're right. Disregard!

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 27, 2013

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Straight talk is fine. It's not fine if you want to stream videos and lots of high quality songs.

Sometimes they will throttle you, but if you don't really need data that much (outside of 1-2 gigs a month) then it's going to be much, much cheaper.

I stream pandora on my way to work (low quality) and rack up just under two gigs a month usually and have only had an issue once. I didn't bother with phone support, but rather started emailing the facebook people and got it all figured out.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Yeah roaming is going to either make or break it.

If it has standard Go Phone coverage there's no way in hell I'd even consider making the switch.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

hotsauce posted:

My god, for once I'm happy to have AT&T Straight Talk. They will throttle and shut your lame rear end down for "excessive" data use, but drat if the limit isn't as low as 250MB before they spring into action. :iiam: but it's higher than that low, low limit.

Never stop being terrible, Aio AT&T.

Did you miss the $50 2 gig plan?

Really what you should be upset about is the 4mbps limit if you're mad about anything. But I'm not seeing anything higher then that in my area on STalk anyways so I'm excited to jump ship and not worry about getting mystery throttled halfway through the month.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 10, 2013

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Yeah I hear what you're saying. Honestly though I feel like ST AT&T is dead in the water. I don't really think any of the MVNOs can really compare on AT&Ts network.

I haven't really looked at the ST situation lately though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Wait so what happened to the AT&T one or uno or whatever plan that was supposed to be coming out? Did they just roll it into the go phone? gently caress I was really hoping to drop straight talk and get some sweet sweet postpaid coverage with defined data caps.

• Locked thread