Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Rastor posted:

Other things that exist but I didn't bother to go into
US Cellular is the 6th-largest network, operating mainly in the flyover states. Neither their plans nor their coverage are great.

Great OP, but in a huge detailed post where you even talk about loving MetroPCS you completely blow US Cellular off?

I've been with USC for years and prior to that I've had Verizon, Sprint, and AT&T at various points in my life. I live in the Chicago area and US Cellular has the best network I've had, hands down. I get better call quality, better signal, and pretty good 3G speeds regardless of where I am, including the most rural parts of the state. One time I was at a concert downtown and I was the only one in my group of friends who could even get a data connection (no such luck for my friends with their iphones), and I was able to run a wifi hotspot for everyone because their networks were so slow and congested.

There are definitely problems with US Cellular, including the fact that they get good phones years after everyone else has had them, they don't release any information about new phones until literally days before they release them, their post paid plans are pretty mediocre (especially the belief bullshit), and their LTE rollout is pretty awful considering they don't even have spectrum in some of their primary markets (like Chicago).

I don't know much about their prepaid plans, but I can attest that their network quality and coverage is second to none and worth at least a look for anyone in their coverage area. The plans are bit pricier but you can get the Galaxy SII, which is pretty good compared to what I've seen with other prepaid providers.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Rastor posted:

No offense was intended, but my experience with this thread and the previous one is that goons are bargain hunters, and the US Cellular prepaid plans start at $60/month if you want to have more than 200MB data.

I've been thinking about maybe including US Cellular and Page Plus in the OP for the sake of completeness; is there a good argument OTHER than their coverage in the US midwest?

Yeah, when you put it that way I'm sure it's not the best option. I did want to chime in on their network quality and coverage though, it really is that good if nothing else. On the other hand, I have no idea what type of roaming coverage/agreements you get on a prepaid with them.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Are there any good options other than the Nexus to use on the TMobile $30 plan? Basically I want the best phone possible, price isn't a factor really.

edit - Does the TMo $30 plan include free nights and weekends, or just 100 minutes total?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 16, 2012

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Rastor posted:

As noted in the OP, those with the combination of Android phone and Google Voice are able to make voice calls over Wifi (or 4G with paid version) using GrooVe IP. Also newer versions of Android support SIP so paying for a SIP provider may be another inexpensive option.

Is Tmo faux-G fast enough for groove ip?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

There's a lot of talk about using Groove IP combined with the T-Mo $30 plan. Is anyone using this successfully? Groove IP seems to have major issues staying connected when I'm switching from wifi to 3g and back, and sometimes disconnects for no reason at all and won't reconnect until I go into the app.

These issues with Groove IP are holding me back from trying the T-Mo option.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

DEO3 posted:

1) At first glance a Galaxy Nexus with the $30 100-minute T-mobile plan seems like the best bang for your buck right now, especially if you're using Google Voice (though I don't really 'get' how this works exactly) instead of your minutes, is that right? Unfortunately for me T-Mobile's data map says there's only 3G available in my area, which according to the OP means Google Voice is a no-no for me

If the 3G is decent, Groove IP works alright. I've used it without problems on a 3g connection that ranges from 700-900kbps, though it's not ideal.

quote:

I spend a lot of my day driving, and can see myself using navigation, streaming music, and listening to podcasts on a daily basis, surely that'd blow through the 1-2GB cap each month?

You can get an app like "Beyond Pod" that downloads your podcasts overnight at your home wifi or hotel location, then you have your podcasts with you when you go without having to stream them.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Naffer posted:

Do either skype or grooveIP support automatic handoff between wifi and 3g? That would be an awesome feature.

ShaneB, any update on this? I'm curious if this works at all.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Rooster Brooster posted:

(as I'm T-Mobile and can't use Google Voice's voicemail).

Whaaaaaat?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

ShaneB posted:

It simply isn't an option.

That needs to be clearly listed in the OP if it isn't. That alone is a dealbreaker for the $30 5g data plan. Dammit and I was really hoping to jump on that with the GNex!

V - I guess I need it dumbed down further. I don't understand what the difference is. So Google voicemail works if you let it ring through, but if you intentionally reject the call it doesn't?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 31, 2012

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

I know this was covered somewhere but I can't find it.

Is the 30mb data on the $30/mo T-mo plan a hard cap or do they charge overages? Can it be used with a smartphone or is that basic phone data only?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: Just do the Walmart 30 with GrooveIP or Tapatalk for free minutes if you're running over 100. Or pay overages for the minutes past 100. I don't know what your scheme is but I assure you running out of minutes is never as horrible as running out of data.

Thanks. I'm looking at the plan for my Dad who has never had a smartphone but doesn't want to pay for data. He wants a smartphone for the big touch screens, and not for data or anything. I explained to him if he got this plan, he could get a nice smartphone with a good screen he just wouldn't be able to do much with the data plan. He says he'd be fine on wifi, but I imagine once he starts using a smartphone he'll be hooked on it, so maybe Straighttalk would be better for him.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Can we expect Google to lower the price on the unlocked Nexus with the launch of the SGS3? I'd really prefer the SGS3 but don't know if I want to drop >$600 for it off-contract. And the value of the Nexus will go down once the SGS3 releases.

Also, can anyone who has ported their number to Google Voice give me an idea of how long of a service outage/disruption I should expect for the porting process to complete?

The Shep fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Just to vent, I've followed every SGS3 rumor for months; it was supposed to have a 1080p resolution, 12mp camera, ceramic case, and quad core in the US. Instead it has more or less the same stats as Gnex but more ram, with a bunch of Siri apps that the apks are floating around for, and Touchwiz. It's a waste of time for them and all of us if you ask me.

You know, I bet if I had just picked up the GNex and then stopped following mobile news everyday I'd have been perfectly happy. But I'm so concerned with future proofing my phone that I was afraid the GNex would putter out on me after a year.

Case in point, I'm still rocking an HTC Desire on US cellular. When I got this phone back in the summer of 2010, it was the coolest drat thing I'd ever owned. Fast forward to today, and despite it being the same exact phone, I find it to be a sluggish piece of crap. Nothing changed except my expectations, I guess? If I throw down $400 for the GNex, I don't want to be disappointed a year later like I was with my Desire.

And I'm still reluctant to get the $30 T-Mo plan because of the semi-reliability of VOIP. I can't make up my mind between prepaid or T-Mo/Sprint postpaid. I use between 1000-1200 minutes a month, the majority of which is while I'm at home so voip shouldn't be a problem there, I just worry that if I go with that plan I'm relying on TMo's 4g coverage for calls.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 21, 2012

• Locked thread