Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
My AT&T contract expires next month and I'm kicking around the idea of pre-paid. I have a T-Mobile SIM I use ($30/100/unlimited) every once in a while, but 100 minutes makes me afraid to actually use the voice feature.

I am looking at AT&T coverage on Straight Talk. I have an unlocked GSM GNEX, which is pentaband. Which option is best for AT&T coverage? Common sense tells me the "AT&T Compatible Phone" option, but what does the "Unlocked Phone" option get you? It looks like T-Mo, but it's unclear.

Also, the "unlimited data" is code for 2gigs, right?

Thanks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

With T moblie you can add extra minutes at 10 cents a minute so if you`re using less than 6 hours of talk time a month you can still come out ahead of the straight talk $45 plan. The straight talk is still a pretty good deal but they are schizo about their data limits. Some users get 3+ gigs of data a month while others claim they have had their phone terminated for going over hidden single day limits for two or three days in a row.

Yea, the militant nature of how Straight Talk handles data (so I've learned) is enough to scare me away. Shame as it seemed like a good deal. They should just draw a line in the sand and say "Unlimited = 2gigs. Exceed that and you're gone son"

Seems they prefer being vague and that's enough to turn me off in an instant.

T-Mobile's $30 really is the best deal period...I just wish it was $35 for 300 minutes or something like that. 100 makes me want to hangup instantly when someone calls for fear of burning through them. I suppose 10 cents per minute is reasonable, but it still gives me pause for some reason.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

jeeves posted:

Wasn't the Evo 3D the one that all of the Sprint fans were jizzing about while waiting for it to come out a year ago or such?

Didn't it turn out to be a dud or something? Or did the new Iphone steal its thunder?

My guess is 3D is a gimmick. I tried one in the store and had a headache after a minute of staring at the 3D screen...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Stick100 posted:

You can choose either and its one of VERY few phones that does both AT&T and T-mobile 3G.

edit: nevermind, misread your post.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Straight Talk is quite militant about even streaming audio/video and will ban you fast. I don't know about tethering but my guess is they won't be fans.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So Virgin owns your nudie pics? Does that sound right?

Wait, do other providers "own" your content as well? That sounds pretty sketchy to me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

2) That plan is for new customers only, as far as I know - will this bite me in the rear end if I want to use it for a month, and then let it lapse until I'm actually able to get out of Sprint?

I have the t mobile plan as a backup and I've let it lapse for a couple of weeks every couple months. So far so good and all I have to do is add more money to turn it back on. I'm not sure how long it will have to lapse before they disconnect it but I think its 6 months.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I have found GrooveIP so unreliable over 4G that I'd rather use some of my precious 100 minutes to take the call, and only use it over wi-fi.

I tried the "data calling only" on my T-Mobile $30 plan and I, too, grew tired of GrooveIP/Talkatone via 3g in about 2 seconds. It was an exercise in frustration for me and the callers. Just didn't work worth a poo poo.

I'm trying to move to the $30 T-Mo plan full-time, but at this point, it's just too difficult to limp by with 100 minutes. I suppose 10 cents/minute extra is pretty cheap, but I don't like the idea of mentally worrying about my usage when on the phone.

Maybe I'll try again but it seems to come with too many compromises so far.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Ok so after much haranguing back and forth, I think I've finally decided to kick AT&T to the curb and use my $30 T-Mobile plan full-time. Won't save me much (only $32/month since it's an add-a-line) but that adds up. I carry two phones (work iPhone w/unlimited minutes) and a Galaxy Nexus. I plan on using the T-Mobile SIM in my GNEX full-time after porting my personal AT&T number to Google Voice. Here is where my questions begin.

I have had my AT&T cell number for 12 years (843 area code). I want to keep it obviously, so I will port that number to GV as my primary number. I also have a GV number I've had since the Grandcentral days (404 area code) that I want to keep also (I use it for craigslist and telemarketers).

How do I keep and manage both numbers with GV? I know you can keep your old GV number (my Grandcentral 404) if you claim it within 90 days of porting in a new number to GV (my 843 one) but how, in practice, would I manage using two numbers with the Android and iPhone apps? I know that with GV I would have to set my Android phone to always use GV to dial (using my primary 843 number) but how would I call with my 404 number so it shows on caller ID? Is there a way with the GV app (both iPhone and Android) to choose which CID to show, so I can choose either the 843 or 404 number when placing a call?

Also, my iPhone has it's own work number (801 area code). Would I be limited to using only the primary 843 number on the GV app? Would I be able to use both the 843 and 404 number on the iPhone app to make calls and send/receive texts (on my 801 area code work number line).

Of course I will not give out my new T-Mobile number since I won't actually use it to place any calls (will be using the GV app 100% of the time).

Sorry if this seems obvious, but I am not clear on the logistics.

Not so ninja edit: this may not be pre-paid per-se, but it sorta falls in the prepaid topic since a move to prepaid is what's generating these questions. I didn't see a GV thread anyway.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 24, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Jose Pointero posted:

So, in 6 months my new job is going to give me an iphone. So now I'm thinking of getting rid of the iphone I have, and the $90+tax bill with it. I'm looooonnngg out of contract so I don't have to worry about ETF or whatever.

The two options I'm looking at are:
Straight talk + Galaxy Nexus
or
Boost + Evo Design 4G

And I'm leaning toward Boost. It has WiMax and I have a tower right next to me, plus it seems like it's pretty much the same HTC Evo, which I've had before and it wasn't bad. I also like how the bill goes down as you make payments on time. Just reading this last page, looks like StraighTalk might suck, so just go with Boost then?

I say port your current iPhone number to Google Voice, get the T-Mobile plan ($30/unlimited text/data/100 mins) and use the GV app on your iPhone for your ported number. That way you can have all the data you want on the GNEX (5gigs at 4G, slower after) and all the texting you can handle. If you approach the 100 minute voice limit on your T-Mo line, just use the GV app on your iPhone and let your company pay for you calls. You never lose your number either.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Zarfol posted:

After porting to Gvoice, I would have to use the Google Voice app to send and receive texts right? So if I am in a lovely area with no data (sometimes I travel for work on the road to the boondocks, but there's always Wi-Fi at a hotel or Company), I won't be able to send texts right?
I was texting from 35,000 feet today on a flight to Washington. Anywhere you have internet access, you can text with Google Voice. Computer, phone, whatever has GV connectivity and you're good.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Tyro posted:

Has GV implemented MMS yet? Or is it still SMS only?

Only works on Sprint -> Sprint. The lack of MMS is the only thing stopping me from porting over. My friends don't understand the concept of emailing photos so I'd miss a bunch of MMS messages with GV. I just wish GV would notify you if someone sent a pic so you could at least tell them to email it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I used one of these the other day:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UEWF8I/

Took a few seconds. Align the SIM correctly, press firmly and quickly, and after a satisfying "clunk" you have a microSIM. It's the perfect size.

And immediately throw away the adapters. They are absolute junk.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So I bit the bullet last night and decided to leave AT&T after 12 years. Ported my number to Google Voice and will use with the much-ballyhooed $30 prepaid T-Mobile plan.

Of course I picked the absolute worst time to initiate the port. GV says "up to 3 business days" to complete. Well, today is Thanksgiving and tomorrow is mostly a holiday. It seems I may not have a working phone until Wed of next week...that's 7 days(!).

It's my fault for picking the worst possible time to port, but why does the port require "business days?" Is there really someone sitting at a desk during 8-5 working hours pushing the port through? I would think it's all automated. My family is going to think I fell off the face of the earth when they try to call me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, are you activating a new number with t-mobile and just forwarding your GV calls to that number? Or are you just going to make calls over data using GV and not even worry about the number?

I am trying to figure out if I should just port my number to T-Mobile, or if I should do the GV set-up.

I have a T-Mobile number I don't even know. I signed up a few months ago on the $30 plan and just use the Google Voice app to place/receive calls.

I ported my AT&T number I've had forever to Google Voice and plan on using it with the Android Google Voice app. So I can place/receive calls on my phone using my AT&T (now GV) number I've had for years. This will give me full control over calling as I can route calls via GV to any phone (my work iPhone and home internet phone). Now that my primary number is with GV, I will never lose it regardless of what carrier I'm on. Freedom!

So I'm not ever going to worry about the T-Mobile number I have. Will never need to give it out and can use GV to handle all calling with my AT&T number I've had for 12 years. Here is a good guide (if you have Android):

I know, XDA, but it's surprisingly useful..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1646755

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

I have been redirecting to multiple phones for years without incident. The moral of your story is "remember to remove redirection from phone numbers you've abandoned", not "don't redirect to multiple numbers".

I agree. Now that I've ported to Google voice (freedom BTW) I have my house (Ooma) work cell and Nexus 4 all ring. Works fine. I did this for years without any issue ever with my old GV number prior to porting my main number the other day. Never missed a single call.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Does T-Mobile pre-paid allow you to disable your voicemail yet? I want to go entirely to GV voicemail.

Yep. Dial 611 and tell them. I did it this weekend and was on and off the phone in 3 minutes. Got a text confirming my account was updated. Some have said T-Mo will ask you 45 times to confirm, but the guy I talked to did it on my first request without hassle.

I was terrified about porting to GV and only having 100 minutes. It's actually very liberating. I have it ring my Obi when I'm at home and ring my work iPhone when I'm out. I don't even need 100 minutes, but if I do, there are there.

Now to get Sipdroid and pbxes.org all set up (GrooveIP sucks rear end for VOIP).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

tonic posted:

Is anyone using the $30/month T-Mobile plan on a Nexus 4? What kind of speeds are you seeing?

Also, I noticed the OP recommends porting your # to GV for use with prepaid plans. Is there a risk of losing my phone # if I port it over to the T-Mobile $30 plan? (i.e. if I forget to pay or something at some point)

Getting consistently between 6-12 mbps. This was from today. I have the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan and am using a Nexus 4.

As for porting - if you port any number to a prepaid plan, you will have a grace period before it expires into oblivion (if you don't re-up). I believe the T-Mobile prepaid is 60 days. On day 61, it may be reassigned to another cheapskate, but you may be able to call up and re-activate it. I doubt you would forget to renew it for that long unless it's very on purpose. I'd highly recommend porting your number to GV though. I did so over Thanksgiving (after like a decade with AT&T) and haven't regretted it one bit. I do have a work phone that I have connected so when someone calls my GV number I take the calls on my free work line instead of using the precious 100 minutes. Also, I have VOIP (Obi) at home that I have ring. Basically I only use T-Mobile prepaid for data and texts and the 100 minutues are there if I need them.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Well as I said others would suggest that, but I've given up that route as I hated the call quality. VOIP solutions seem to only work on a robust WIFI. I just try to use less than 250 minutes per month. I have a desk phone at work and I just bought an Obi 100 for free phone at home. I've used wired VOIP phones in the past and they seemed fine I'll report on the OBi once I get it up and running.

Reference:
http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone-Adapter-Service-Bridge/dp/B004LO098O

If you are porting to GV with the 100 minute $30 T-Mobile plan, this IS the only answer to save minutes. I have a 3-handset Panasonic cordless phone hooked up to my OBi so I use exactly zero T-Mobile minutes while at home. It's pretty amazing that GV calling is free. The OBi is well worth the $39 and is supremely useful with GV if you don't have a lot of prepaid minutes. I consider it a requirement if you have the $30 T-Mo plan.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

goku chewbacca posted:

Last I knew, Google hadn't yet announced whether free calling from Google Talk would continue into 2013. They've already extended it from 2011 into 2012, so hopefully they do it again.

I'd pay for it, honestly. One day it may not be free, and I will be forced to give Google money for it, but I appreciate it being free for now.

It's that good. For instance, I just had some shady caller ring my GV line (literally, just now). I didn't answer. They called back. Then sent some hostile text.

I don't know this person. I just blocked the number. Now the get the *beep beep beeeep - we're sorry, this number has been disconnected* message.

I win.

GV takes the fear out of actually using your real number on Craigslist, giving it to stores, etc. Just block a fool and move on.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BathroomTile posted:

Okay, so I got my Nexus 4 the other day, which I am a giant fan of, and I signed up for T-Mobile's prepaid plan. I had no idea that their prepaid plans do not have "call forwarding" available as a feature, which means that I cannot use Google Voice as my voicemail service, which bugs the hell out of me. Is there any work-around to this? I tried googling, but it doesn't seem like there is unless I port my number to Google Voice.

But I don't want to port my number to Google Voice just yet, because I text a lot (yes, I do talk a lot too), and I don't want to cause any confusion by accidentally texting from my phone's number rather than my GV number. Also, I read that it doesn't support MMS? I mean, whenever I send pictures, I typically do it through email, but I still have a lot of friends, family, and coworkers who use MMS regularly, so that's something I can't give up yet.

I looked through the list on the OP, I'm starting to use data more often (looking at 2-2.5gb a month), so are there any other prepaid plans that offer more than 2gb of data per month? According to the OP it doesn't seem like it. I don't want to go back to a post-paid plan, but it looks like I need to. :smith:

Call TMobile and ask them to disable your voicemail. Then GV will pick up your calls. And I highly recommend porting to GV and picking up an Obi for home use. Its a beautiful thing. 100 minutes is very manageable as you use the Obi at home..although I do have a work phone that I use for most on the go calls.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Tinfoil hat time.

I use GV for my calls on the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan. I was taking with my wife today (called her on my GV line) and didn't touch the phone. It was sitting in my car console and I was on bluetooth (connected to my car).

About 3 minutes into the conversation, I mentioned an assault rifle I was thinking about buying. An AK-47 (hysteria purchase pending the "ban"). A few seconds after saying this, I heard "Your call is now being recorded" or something like that.

I know you can record calls with GV, but I also know you have to press a key on your phone to turn it on. I didn't press anything, it automatically started recording.

The wife asked "why are you recording this?" and I didn't have an answer.

I know this isn't necessarily prepaid chat, but since many prepaid TMo users use GV, I thought I'd post it here. Anyone else ever had their conversation recorded automatically, without pressing a single button? I mean it really felt like I said a magic word (assault rifle?) and the NSA or some poo poo started recording...again, tinfoil hat and all, but what the christ?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

The more of your posts I read, the less balanced you sound.

Haha, don't worry. Balanced quite nicely. Father, husband, responsible, all that jazz.

Anyhow, I just felt the sudden recording was strange. Sounds like it's nothing more than a GV bug. Thanks.

˅˅˅ yeah, I know how to manually enable it. My phone was sitting alone in my car's console and my hands were nowhere near it. That is why I got all :tinfoil:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 21, 2012

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just got an MMS in my gmail that was sent to my GV number.

I'm on T-Mobile. Sender of MMS on C-Spire.

Maybe Google finally fixed the MMS issue on GV? This is the first time a photo didn't disappear into a black hole. The photo is tiny, but at least it came through.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

blargle posted:

For those with their number ported into google voice, does it show your google voice number when you make outgoing calls from the mobile phone? If it shows your random SIM card phone number instead, that's going to confuse the hell out of my friends/family.

GV number as long as you:

a. use the GV app to place a call
b. manually tell your phone to use GV when placing a call (select the "prompt every call" setting in the GV app.
c. tell the GV app to use your GV number for all calls

I don't even know my T-Mo prepaid number. I just set the GV app to use my GV number for all calls.

There is also a setting in GV where you can use the stock messaging app for GV texts. I don't use that...I just text and receive from the GV app.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

plester1 posted:

This is in my main GV settings menu:
Thanks. Yea, the options are in GV settings. Voicemail too. You can assign GV to handle your voicemails or your carrier.

Don't people typically check the settings menu of software for stuff? Just curious.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

MondayHotDog posted:

Did everyone else pay :20bux: to port their number over to Google Voice? Everyone recommends it but nobody ever said you had to pay for it.

I happily did. It's $20, once. Very much worth it if you understand what you are getting into.

Google has like 8 nested checkbox agreements when you port. Check one, another appears, and so on. It's pretty funny actually, but they make it clear what you are getting into with GV.

If you are porting and going pre-paid (and don't have a lot of minutes) buy an Obi for home use. It's pretty awesome and free calling while at home is icing on the cake.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Which no contract phone does T-Mobile offer that's worth getting? I'm thinking either the Dart, the Galaxy Exhibit, or the Galaxy S II. I'm planning on doing relatively little texting, and limiting online use to gps, weather, email, something awful, and the occasional google search. Is the Dart worth going for in that case or should I go for one of the Galaxy types?

If those are your first thoughts, you may be on a budget. In that case, I'd say Nexus 4. If budget isn't a concern, Note 2.

The Galaxy Nexus is a bit old in the phone world, but is still a good phone. You should be able to find one for ~$250 or so. An 8gb Nexus 4 will run you $299 and 16gig $349. The Note 2 is not cheap (see post above yours) but worth it, IMO.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

nougatmachine posted:

The tracking number is for a package that shipped last year and was signed for by "SMACK".

UPS and (especially) FedEx recycle tracking numbers all the time.

Nearly every Newegg purchase I get has recycled tracking numbers. Just check it tomorrow and all will be ok after it scans and is updated.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just to confirm, using the Vonage app on a data connection (no wifi) only uses data, not minutes, correct?

Those 100 minutes go fast!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Calling all cheapskates...this website has T-Mobile refills (I have the $30 plan) for $26.99, no tax.

Yeah, it's only $1.50 cheaper than callingmart, but I'm going to try them out.

Edit: You sent a payment of $26.99 USD to 庞 颜华 :stare:

We will see if the code actually arrives.

Holy poo poo, forgot the website:

http://www.refillmobi.com/

Just got confirmation...it's not a code, rather an emailed screenshot of someone's browser showing the reload. gently caress this, never doing this again. I see it's 10:46am in China right now. :tinfoil:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 6, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

TraderStav posted:

edit: Just saw your update, they login as you and then apply??
I guess so...but how did they log in as me?? All I gave them was my phone number. I did get a confirmation text from T-Mobile congratulating me for adding $30 to my plan, so it worked.

Certainly high on the sketch-o-meter, but I guess it is legit...

˅˅˅ I guess so, but they are in China. Last I checked, T-Mobile doesn't operate in..China. I don't know, but whatever. Bracing myself for Chinese spam...

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 6, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

Is there anyway to improve GrooVe IP's connection? My calls keep getting dropped within a minute. I got a call dropped just now and I'm sitting literally less than 3 feet from the wifi router!

The only solution I've found was to use the Vonage app. Or perhaps Talkatone if you need incoming calls. Or if you are very savvy, SipDroid + PBXs.org.

I just grew tired of the echos, etc with GrooveIP (even after deep tinkering with settings). It just never reliably worked well. Vonage works, 99% of the time wifi or HSPA+. Just can't be called, but that's a minor inconvenience (just call them immediately back).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I'm going on a work hiatus in the Northeast (US) and will be staying in a hotel for that time. As we all know, hotel wifi is generally beyond lovely. I have a Dish Hopper w/Sling at home and want to use my laptop to watch my DVR'd shows.

Looking for a prepaid/month to month hotspot/USB dongle. I highly doubt there is a legit unlimited hotspot month to month plan, but what's my most cost effective option for high data/unlimited that's not $200/month? Looking to spend ~$50 depending on the data allotment. Don't care what network, but it needs to be able to stream video when the hotel wifi gives up the ghost. I can use the hotel wifi for most everything, but will inevitably need the hotspot for faster more reliable data. Don't want to get an iPad before you suggest that.

Edit: any prepaid SIMs work with the Nexus 7 HSPA+ on unlimited (T-Mo truly unlimited maybe)? That may be an option if a mifi or similar device doesn't exist (with at least 10 gigs/month). I have the $30 plan for my phone, but kind of need a computer/bigger screen/more data.

Edit2: something like this is too good to be true, right? I'm guessing it's unlimited*.

*2 gig cap, and I'm certain it's not really LTE...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Months-Fr...=item1e776e4651

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 2, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Looks like if I buy a Verizon LTE mifi (~$50 used) 10 gigs is $90. gently caress that.

Oh well, redbox/no pausing/DVR TV in the hotel it is.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 2, 2013

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

blargle posted:

Groove IP, Spare Phone and Talkatone and pretty much all crap. I've given up and use gmail for calling to save minutes.

Try Vonage.

On an unrelated note, the T-Mobile $30 plan is useless in Montana. In Helena now and don't even get a signal. Nice. Good thing I have a work phone with LTE (Verizon) as a backup.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

blargle posted:

Does the Vonage app integrate with your Google Voice number?

No integration. You put whatever number in you want and enter the code they text you to verify. The text never seems to arrive if you have a GV number but there is an option to have a call placed to you with the code. Once you get the code enter it into the app and you are off.

The number you enter is what's shown on caller ID. Unless you actively subscribe to Vonage you can't get incoming calls on the Vonage app. I just call people right back with the Vonage app.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
No SIMs to be found at the Las Vegas Airport kiosk. I would have bought one just because, but the machine was empty...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Potentially silly question, but do the "iPhone" advertised Straight Talk AT&T micro-SIM kits work with the Nexus 4? I would think so, but making sure before I drop a rapey price on the SIM.

Looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300886905562

I have the $30 T-Mo plan, but man the coverage where I am for the next few months is terrible. EDGE almost immediately after driving out of town for 5 minutes. It's worth the $15 premium to have a usable phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Yeah, there is no difference between an iphone's micro-sim slot and the Nexus 4's. They use the same sim card and you can swap them just fine, just have to edit APN settings to get MMS and/or data working on Straight Talk. That's also the cheapest price I've found on AT&T sims.

Thanks. Just ordered one. I am under the assumption that even though Straight Talk/AT&T are in a tiff, I can still activate this and maintain it for as long as I want? I guess with prepaid, AT&T can pull the plug at any moment...but I hope not.

• Locked thread