Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Don't feel like waiting for the new LG nexus, since my current phone it's a piece of poo poo that can't go a day without crashing. Strongly considering the gnex tmobile prepaid route.

- Other than the new phones, any reason to hold off?
- I can port my number to t mobile prepaid, right? I'm very attached to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Stalling Grad posted:

Why not port to GoogleVoice now, start a new account on T-Mobile, point GVoice to it, and if it sucks in a week, buy a different service?

Well, do you need data to use GoogleVoice for receiving calls on your phone? I work in a building where I'm often walking through areas with no data service, so sometimes I turn data off to save on battery.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sorry for all the questions. The $20 is the one-time fee to keep my old number with Google Voice, or a GrooveIP -related fee?

Also, the talk of voicemail problems with GVoice and tmobile prepaid... that's only if they call your tmobile number, not your gv number, right?

edit: Can you get that tmobile prepaid sim at walmart? Looks like online ordering is down right now.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 14, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, I did a store locator search at tmobile's website and all I got within 30 minutes of me is Walmarts.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bobulus posted:

Can you get that tmobile prepaid sim at walmart? Looks like online ordering is down right now.

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, I did a store locator search at tmobile's website and all I got within 30 minutes of me is Walmarts.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

Just to follow up on this, Walmart does not sell the activation kit. And all the employees looked at me like I was crazy. So I just waited a day for the website to come back up and ordered there.

Out of curiosity, what's with the credit-check style identity verification on the tmobile site? Are stolen SIMs really that big of a deal?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Just making sure I have this right... If I have my real number on Google voice forwarded to a crappy number on TMobile, if I just call with the phone, won't the receiver's caller id see the crappy number? They will only see the real number if I use something like groove IP?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't think I'm going to case my gnex... I grabbed one of those pogo pin charging docks and the thing is so loving slick.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

gariig posted:

Where at and how much? A dock would be nice for around my computer instead of a micro USB cable

I grabbed this one, which seems to be the same one that is sold out in the Google Store.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/samsung-google-galaxy-nexus-desk-stand-226695/

The website I never heard of before, but some XDA guys reported reasonable results, so I took a chance. They never gave me a shipping tracking number, but the thing showed up quickly, so I can't really complain.

It only does charging through the pogo pins, not data, so it wouldn't work if you're trying to connect your phone to your PC.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I, too, just bought a Galaxy Nexus and I'm not sweating the new hardware. There will always be something newer, and I guess I'd rather use something tested by a year of users than something brand new with unknown quality.

Am I insane or does the T-mobile website not let you use the letter v in your password? I was just trying to change mine, and every letter works but V. Tried with two browsers. And it's not my keyboard, checked that, too. What a weird bug.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Got some Google Voice / tmobile plan interaction questions, so this seems to be the right thread to ask this stuff...

- Unfortunately, my throwaway tmobile number seems to get way more telemarketing calls than my GVoice number ever did. And I'm not planning on giving the number to anyone. Essentially, I can assume that anyone that calls the tmobile number, I don't want to talk to. Is there a way to set the phone to ring only for google voice calls and not tmobile calls? Or just block all calls except whatever number gvoice forwards from?

- If that doesn't work, is there a way to tell, when the phone is ringing, if the call is coming from GVoice or tmobile?

- "Call Screening" in GVoice is the option that has, after I "answer" on my phone, a second prompt that's like "Press 1 to answer, Press 2 to send to voicemail", right? That's annoying.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

How much data does Maps use? Would it cause me to go over Straight Talk's hidden limit?

The only way I could see it happening is if you manually cached a huge map area.

Depending on what OS version your phone is running, you might be able to go into Settings and look at your data connection to see a breakdown of which apps have used how much data in the past month.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

If I cache the map area, it'll use 3G instead of GPS?

Caching the map involves using a lot of bandwidth when it's convenient to save a smaller amount of bandwidth when it's not.

So at home on WiFi, you store the map for the area you drive around in, and it uses less 3g on the road.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I've been doing the $30/100/Unlimited/Unlimited T-mobile plan for a while now, but the town I've moved to has terrible t-mobile coverage (2G at best, no data in some parts of town) so I've been meaning to switch to AT&T, the only other alternative without buying a new phone. And now, for the last two days, I haven't been able to get a data signal anywhere in town, so it's probably time to do something. Several questions:

1) Anyone know if the tmobile thing is some new policy change? I'm pretty sure the problem isn't on my end and there were some rumblings about changing the way that plan worked?

2) The Op hasn't been updated since 2012. Is my best bet just to go right with straight-talk, or has something better come along? I've already got my number on GV, so I don't give a gently caress about number transferring.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, so forgive my ignorance:

I have an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus, which means that the best I can get on AIO is HSPA+ and not LTE? My phone is too old? My whole area is marked as LTE, so I'm presuming it also has 'normal' 4G. I mean, anything's better than the 2G I'm getting now, but still.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 7, 2014

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Thanks to those that suggested AIO. Here's my before and after data speeds for an area of good reception in town when I switched from tmobile prepaid to AIO.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, the first number is my old T-mobile service, which was labeled Edge (2G) and is roughly equivalent to a 56k dialup connection. The second number is my new AIO service, HSPA+, and is basically comparable to the cable land connection I can get in town. 3.6 Mbps is nothing to sneeze at in a lovely little town like this.

(My phone is too old for LTE, so HSPA+ is the best I can do. Considering I've never used more than 50 mb in a month until now, I'm not complaining)

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Anyone know of any reason my Aio/Cricket data would suddenly get worse over the last five or so days? They didn't change the APN with the name change or anything?

I still get a high signal strength, but really horrible timeouts on my data. It's most noticeable in an online android game I play, in which things that used to respond instantly can take 10 to 20 seconds now. I checked, I haven't used more than 700 mb of data in the last month, so it's not like they capped me or something.

• Locked thread