Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I plan on buying an unlocked Galaxy Nexus and doing the StraightTalk/AT&T plan...I'd like to do T-Mobile's plan, since it's a better value (100 minutes is plenty for me), but they have terrible coverage here...according to their map, there is only 2G data service here...:/

AT&T has "4G"..I mean...not real 4G (LTE), but whatever their previous 4G was (HSPA+)? Either way, certainly faster than T-Mobile's 2G.

But since I'm paying ~$80 on Sprint, even paying ~$50 on StraightTalk after taxes and fees will save me $30 a month, which means the Nexus pays for itself after ~9 months compared to buying it subsidized and staying with Sprint.

My big question is what happens to my phone number when I ditch Sprint? I have the GV integration, so my GV number IS my Sprint number...so will I still get to keep that and have perfect GV integration? Or will I have to get a new phone number, AND/OR new GV number and then pay the $$ to forward it?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I wish I could use the T-Mo plan, but they only have 2G roaming here.

I think I'll wait until my Sprint contract is up in July before I get the GNex with a StraightTalk plan. No reason to pay a $100 ETF fee.

Though it's annoying that the Sprint GNex can now be had for $150, AND it comes with a $50 Google Wallet credit...so that's essentially $100 for the phone...gah, I know it's not a "deal" because I will save ~$40 a month, so a non-subsidized phone will pay for itself in 8 months, and after that I'm saving money...but it's hard to think long term.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I'm wondering how the plans offering "unlimited" data (like the StraightTalk plans) get away with advertising it as such when according to this thread and all the info out there, that's not the case. People saying they've gotten warnings from downloading as little as two gigs, and getting cut off entirely for not much more than that. Obviously it's not any kind of 'breach of contract', like if Sprint cut you off suddenly for downloading 5 gigs, but surely it has to be some kind of false advertising?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

Wouldn't the new evo fit your bill? It has ics, sprint 4g network, and $300.

If it's a Sprint phone, then it's not unlocked.

VV Ahhh, E3D...I was assuming the newer Evo, the Evo 4G LTE or whatever extra letters and numbers they added on.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 4, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Slopehead posted:

The throttle brings you down to EDGE speeds, which is roughly dialup speeds. Enough to sync google voice texts and that's about it. This goes for all Tmobile plans. It's a soft cap, not true unlimited but seriously 5gb is very generous when you consider the cost for that same amount of data on other carriers and their overage charges.

Overage charges? I'm not familiar with such a thing (:smug: <--- Sprint customer.)

Just don't talk to us about things like signal quality or speeds. All the GB you could want at a blazing 50 kb/s!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Biting the prepaid bullet...just ordered a Galaxy Nexus from The Play Store, and going to StraightTalk's website now to get a SIM. Once that arrives, I'll port my Sprint number to GV, then forward that to the SIM number.

I wish I could do TMo's $30 plan, but they don't have any presence in VT, any TMo phone here just roams on AT&T towers.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ignore this whole post.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 6, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

According to UPS, my Galaxy Nexus will be here today! :woop:

Too bad UPS never gets to my place before 6 PM.

Also, I don't think my StraightTalk SIM will be here until tomorrow.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Schubalts posted:

My Nexus got here yesterday, and this thing owns so hard (and fits perfectly in my hand). Too bad my last minute plan indecision means I can't use the phone part of it yet :negative:

StraightTalk's slow as poo poo shipping means I can't use mine until tomorrow, despite having it yesterday!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Edit: I'm stupid...thought they didn't send a service plan card, they did, I just don't know how to look for things. :downs:

Double edit: Ok, I must be doing something wrong somewhere in the mobile settings...I'm getting a whopping 13 kbps download speed. That's if the Speedtest app can even finish, usually it says "network communication issues" and quits.

AT&T's coverage map says I should be blanketed in HSPA+ service right here...I don't know if that's what my phone sees...I think it is, but the speeds are lying. I have one bar with a little 'H' above it.

I changed my APN settings to what the straighttalk website said:

quote:

APN Name: Straight Talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
Port: 80
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS Port: 80

That left me with several unused options, is that normal?

Also, in 'Mobile Network Settings,' I have data roaming checked...yes/no?

Under Network Operators, two show up...Home and Home. I just selected "Choose automatically."

Later I'll take my phone "out and about," I suppose it's possible my house is just in the deadest of dead spots, but 13 kbps is just absurd...I thought my 200-300 kbps with Sprint was bad.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 10, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, a day and a half later and still nothing. Can't use data at ALL (aside from maybe five second to load a quick google search, but that's it) on my phone. That includes both at home, where I accept no data because of no bars (which is STILL bs, since AT&T coverage says I should be fine,) and out around town where I was showing full bars, but still had no data connection.

I'm losing it, here. This is ended up being just a big money sink for me...and I apologize already for putting this in multiple threads, but God-drat-it, I'm just trying to maybe have some slim hope of an answer that will "fix" everything. So far, the only theory is maybe AT&T's network is hosed in the New England right now, but that's anecdotal from a couple other goons. And if it was so hosed that there was NO data for anyone, then surely when I called StraightTalk support they would have said that when they checked for outages/problems.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, probably going to have to abandon StraightTalk. I'm at work right now, and as at home, zero bars. Earlier it was 0 bars of anything, my "About Phone" said GPRS, I think? Not even 2G, so no data AT ALL. Now it still has no bars, but flip flops between 3G and HSDPA. I did get a webpage to load...slowly...

gently caress me...I'll try StraightTalk again, but I doubt that the customer service reps in India who are following a script will really be of any help. Can I just demand to get a new SIM card? I'm also contacting Samsung to get a warranty replacement, on the off chance it's the phone, which I doubt.

Yesterday I found one spot I could get service...less than two miles from my house, I had four bars, though it was still flip flopping between 3G and HSDPA. But I could download apps and browse the net just fine. Here at work I'm about two miles from home in another direction, and the idea of no bars is absurd. I work for a big university, and there's also a nice big hospital essentially on campus...if there's one spot in town that has great service from ALL carriers, it's right here, but I have nothing. It's not the service/towers, it's the phone, SIM, or something wrong on their end.

Someone suggested that maybe my IMEI is messed up in the system, and it's not being seen as a 4G device...well, maybe. Except like I said sometimes it DOES say it's connected to 4G, and that still wouldn't explain why I have NO SERVICE AT ALL in places that are supposed to be smack dab in the middle of 4G coverage, according to AT&T.

Looks like I'm probably heading back to Sprint*...so long, money, nice knowing you.

*The worst part is I really, really like some of the JB features, and the Sprint GNex still doesn't have the JB update.

Edit: Yeah, I have 0 bars, "Network" is unknown, "Signal Strength" is -89 dMb, 12 asu, and "Mobile network type" is GPRS:1 (though like I said, sometimes it goes to 3G...or HSDPA...and jsut as I was typing this it went to -105 dBm of EDGE.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Yea, he's said that T-mobile basically doesn't cover his state.

Yup...ironically enough, T-Mobile works here, but it's just from roaming on AT&T towers, so part of me wonders if it would actually work better than the poo poo StraightTalk service I'm getting...though that means I DEFINITELY wouldn't get 4G, since they don't have 4G roaming...not even sure if I would get 3G, might only be EDGE. But I don't think they even let you get a plan if you live outside service area...naturally they don't want 99% of your calls, texts, and data to be on someone else's network.

I just checked with a couple coworkers who have AT&T and yeah, they have service here (both have iPhones, though, so I can't try to swap SIMs.) At least I'll have more info to give StraightTalk when I call them, maybe they'll send another SIM.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Get one of their sims, put it in your phone. You've been told this 80 times.

Did you miss the part where I said they have iPhones? Those use micro (mini?) SIMs that don't fit in other phones.

Tough I guess I can just make a small little "adapter" out of some old piece of plastic, according to this.

I think the hardest part will be convincing them to let me borrow their SIMs...they're not the most "tech savvy" people, so they probably barely understand what a SIM is, let alone understand that no, I won't break their phone, or their SIM if I borrow it, and no, AT&T won't "find out" and cancel their service, or anything. But it's worth a shot.

Edit: A fellow Goon is being awesome and letting me try his SIM card. I'll stop mucking up these threads with my woes no one cares about...

SECOND EDIT: Ok, so it looks like StraightTalk won't be working out for me...when I tried an AT&T SIM card, I got great speeds, so it's not the phone. It's a combo of AT&T throttling, and no service either at home or work, the two places I spend the most time (even though StraigtTalk and AT&T both say both areas should have 4G service.)

I'm guessing I'm poo poo out of luck for GSM pre-paids, then? I mean...since there's no T-Mo service here, any of the others that work here (TracFone, Net10) will most likely be the same service, right? The only thing I think might work is AT&T GoPhone, since there's a chance that being an actual AT&T customer will get me better coverage, but I really wouldn't be saving much money compared to sticking with Sprint, the only advantage is I get to still use my GSM GNex. But if I went back to Sprint, I'm due for my upgrade, so I'd still get a GNex, just one that isn't as good and might not get JB for another month or so.

Time to see if I can convince StraightTalk to give me my money back (HA!, Yeah, I know, fat chance, they don't guarantee service, go to Hell, etc...). Does anyone know if I can at least try out GoPhone for a few days and get a refund if it doesn't work? I'm guessing also no.

V V V Ooh, I didn't think of that. Yeah, I used an actual credit card, not just a debit, so I'll keep that route in mind if StraightTalk gives me the shaft. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 14, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Xeom posted:

I really wan't to do the whole galaxy nexus thing on straight talk, the thing is i am not sure how the service is in my area. I looked it up online and at&t seems to have the most towers in my area(tallahassee,fl). Does that mean i should have good service in my area then?

Right now I'm the shining example of "what the coverage maps says doesn't mean poo poo."

According to AT&T, I should be covered in 4G service at my house, and I get no 4G, no 3G, sometimes 2 bars of EDGE, and failing that, I'm back down to GPRS, which I'm guessing is some sort of 2G service worse than EDGE.

There's really no way to know what coverage will be until you get a phone on that service in that spot. Ask your friends/co-workers what they get around your area.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Has anyone else on StraightTalk had problems getting SpeedTest to work right? One of the reasons I thought my StaightTalk plan was having problems was because I couldn't get good results from SpeedTest. It would get an ok ping, then sort of time out and either quit saying the network had problems, or get one tiny bit of download at either 7 or 8 kbps (always 7 or 8) in the last second of the download.

The upload would then frequently be good, around 1-1.5 Mbps. When I tried someone's AT&T SIM card, SpeedTest works fine, and it works fine on wifi.

Only about once or twice have I ever had SpeedTest connect properly while on StraightTalk.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

While reading the wiki last night (Linked in the OP), under the getting data via non-jailbreak, it mentions if you set your APN setting to Straight Talk, it can gently caress with Speedtest because it uses proxies. Check the wiki in the OP.

Sorry, should have said I have an Android (GNex.) Not iPhone. That wiki seems to be for iPhone only.

But thanks for the info that SpeedTest uses proxies...so even though the Android APN settings for StraightTalk have a proxy, it's not correct?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Smeed posted:

I think that if you put the ST proxy into your APN settings it screws with the speed test. That being said, I'm still having trouble with my Gnex + StraightTalk and I've never used the proxy (except when troubleshooting). Very rarely can I complete the speed test, most of the time it has a connection error when it attempts the upload or download portion. My phone will jump from HSDPA+ to 3G and drop connection even with a strong signal. I tried my SIM in my brother's Gnex and it had the same issue. My connection was great until a week ago.

I was trying to make this post from my phone, outside, with 4 bars and it kept timing out so I had to hop on my desktop. I'm going to see if I can get a new SIM from ST and then I'll explore my other options.

I tried deleting the proxy setting in the APN and after I did that I couldn't get ANY data connection to work, so I put it back in. I do frequently have to reload pages 2 or 3 times before they actually load, Chrome says "proxy error." So there clearly is a problem with the proxy StraightTalk uses, but I was worse without it, so...V:shobon:V

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I must be stupid... how do I check my voicemail on a gnex with Straight Talk? The help page says to hit the voicemail button in the phone app...there is no voicemail button in stock JB it seems.

So I tried dialing *86 like it says for other phones...nope, get a message saying the call can't be completed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So, am I right in thinking that by using the whole "port your number to GV, then just forward all calls to your ST #" thing, I basically can't get MMSes?

If people text my old number, to goes to GV, and GV doesn't do MMS...or maybe it just sends it to my gmail account?

I just can't send an MMS using my old number...I'd have to email it if I want it to show up as being "from me" if they don't also have my new #?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

drat you, StraightTalk! I know you re-use phone numbers, but did you have to make mine both:

1) Re-used from someone who had it fairly recently.?

And 2) From someone who was a deadbeat and has creditors calling him all the time? :mad:

No, Larry's not here...Larry will never be here, this isn't his phone number anymore, please stop calling, no I'm not just Larry pretending to be someone else.

At least two calls a day. Can I just request a new phone number?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

God drat, these calls for Larry are getting absurd...now its averaging 3 times a day, even weekends...a couple collection agencies but mostly run of the mill telemarketers.

If I get a new SIM from ST (for the new #), I'll have to pay for another whole activation kit, right? So over $60 instead of just $45+tax?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

So with Google voice...my old number i ported means anyone can call my old number and it forwards to my new number...but if I call them, it shows up as my new number, right?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

If I have a regular StraightTalk SIM, will it work in Canada? I'm headed up there tonight for a bachelor party, and it would be nice to be able to communicate with people if we get separated.

It looks like i'll have to shell out some money beforehand (one place says the min. is $5, the other says the min. is $10) to "enable international calling at $0.XX cents per minute?

How does data work? I only see info on minutes, not data or even regular texting. I have all my texts go through Google Voice...I might find wi-fi, I might not (what are the odds a strip club has wi-fi?)

Edit: Oh, that plan is for calling to international places from the US.

What about calling while IN those places? Near as I can tell, I'm screwed unless I want to actually shell out money for a pre-paid Canadian SIM, which isn't worth it for the one night I'm there.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 8, 2012

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Man, all this recent ST on AT&T crap has made me seriously consider going back to a regular carrier. It'd probably be AT&T, since I'd have a little more freedom with the phone I use. I'd like T-Mobile's pre-paid service, but, well...here's their coverage map where I live:

So...yeah, that's happening.

It's just going to such going from ~$50/month to almost $100.

Edit: Oh, well I just found out there isn't any AT&T LTE here, so that sucks. Verizon's the only one with LTE, but obviously the problem there is they have the most locked-down phones.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 17, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Xeom posted:

So my data on straight talk stopped working like 3 weeks ago for no reason, my iphone 4 just says I have no data plan. Kinda happened around my plan auto-payed itself.

Has this happened to anybody else, know what to do to fix it?

Huh...I think this just happened to me today. I just made a post about it in the Android thread. I'm in the same boat as you, ST with auto-pay.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...I think this just happened to me today. I just made a post about it in the Android thread. I'm in the same boat as you, ST with auto-pay.

Well, I figured out what it was in my case. I did a factory reset on my phone the other night, and I forgot to change the APN settings. I'm an idiot.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Has anyone else been experiencing issues with receiving MMS messages on StraightTalk/AT&T recently? Can't seem to receive them anymore from my girlfriend who's on the west coast right now while I'm on the east coast. She's on regular AT&T service. It worked fine yesterday but today it seems to be failing.

Are you using the "APN" settings that StraightTalk told you to?

Because don't.

Use these instead:
Name: straight talk
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: None
Port: 80
Username: none
Password: none
Server: not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: none
APN type: not set

The boldest parts are (I think) what's changed from what ST tells you to do. It's what I've used since I got on ST last fall, and I've never had a problem...though to be fair, I don't ever use MMS because I use Google Voice...so what do I know? But that's what I've found on a couple other forums, and I know my data doesn't work with ST's default settings (it's the proxy,) and these settings have never given me an issue.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Straight Talk now supports LTE... i can't get this to work though with the new APN:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1810094-ST-now-supports-LTE?p=15229037#post15229037

I tried the settings here: http://www.straighttalkbyop.com/program.php

and it didn't work for me at all. No data connection (and why are there two sets listed, with no indication of which one to use? (No, I don't mean the smartphone vs dumbphone ones, if you scroll down, there's another set of APN settings for a smartphone.)

I tried both, at any rate, neither worked. Of course, I don't think AT&T has LTE coverage here...I tried to look at their coverage map, but their map's color scheme is terrible.

HSPA coverage is orange, and LTE coverage is a slightly darker shade of orange that 90% of the population won't be able to really distinguish between.

Edit: V V V Mine's through AT&T, T-Mo has no coverage at all where I live. V V V

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 13, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Is it a special SIM that costs more, or is it just that all their new SIMS now have LTE enabled on them?

I was planning on getting a new SIM anyway...I went from a GNex to an HTC One, and had to cut down a regular SIM to microSIM, and I didn't do a great job so sometimes it says it can't find the SIM card and I have to kind of push on the outside of it a bit.

I use GV for all my calls/texts, so switching numbers on a new SIM is no biggie.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

You can do one or the other.

You sure about that? I thought that for any text to appear to be from your GV number, they HAD to be sent from the Voice app.

Otherwise, I've been using that crummy app for over a year instead of a 3rd party one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ugh, I think I did something to piss StraightTalk off. All day today I have been either unable to download, or it does so at a loving crawl.

Guess I'll pop into Wal Mart tomorrow and get a new SIM.

And I just moved into a new place, and don't have a wireless router (was my roommate's at my last place, so my phone is...only a phone! :gonk: :negative:

Edit: Just so I do this correctly...I get a new SIM, activate it, and pop it in and I'm good to go? Do I have to completely cancel my current account that's on auto-debit and make a new one, or do I just change the SIM/number in my account details?

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 23, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Someone recently posted all of the downsides to AIO (no short codes, etc), would someone mind posting a similar pros/cons (more focused on the cons) for GoPhone? I'm very interested in seeing what the tradeoffs would be. I'm willing to do eBay vendor gymnastics to cut the cost.

I'm also curious about GoPhone.

ST seems to enjoy dicking me around constantly. After several months of good service, I'm now getting random speed drops, no data connection some days, etc...and I don't know why.

It shouldn't be any kind of nebulous "data cap," my download graph shows I only downloaded 150 MB on cell data this month, and never more than 30 in one day.

If I can pay $10-$15 more a month for more reliable service, and potentially LTE, I will. (I think AT&T has LTE here. I tried to check their coverage map, but like all the other providers, they use very similar shades of the same loving color to differentiate between 4G and 3G so it's really loving hard to tell.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Just a sort of warning/heads up for anyone with an HTC One on a pre-paid service:

I updated to 4.3 yesterday, and it completely wiped out my APN settings. So make sure to set those back after updating so you can use data and MMS.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

How the gently caress do I cancel my Straight Talk plan?

I've got a recurring payment, and there doesn't seem to be a "cancel" option.

I can't just remove the CC info, either, because of this:

quote:

NOTE: You may remove any payment method not associated to a recurring payment plan. If it's associated with a recurring payment plan, first change the assigned phones to another credit card.

So I add another payment option, remove the first CC, but then I'm in the same boat as before!

gently caress, I hate when companies make you call them to cancel service, because it takes ten loving minutes of saying,
"No, I don't want any offers, yes, I really want to cancel, just cancel it...no, just cancel...for the love of God, cancel my loving service right the gently caress now!"

And ST is even worse than most companies, since I know from the couple of times I've called them it's a mess of automated menus and holding until you get to a call center in Asia.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

SB35 posted:

Straight talk and net 10 are essentially the same, they don't want you streaming and will throttle or turn off your data if you do. That said, i stream the occasional YouTube video or Pandora and I've never had it happen to me. Then again I'm not streaming 2 hours a day on my commute or anything.

I think that's why my ST is all hosed up. I get random speeds...sometimes it's fine, other times it's like being on EDGE, and sometimes I get no service at all. I've canceled my auto-debit CC I had on file with them and not manually renewing for December, and instead getting an AIO account. It's the combo of hopefully less account/speed fuckery, and getting LTE (I'm aware I could potentially get that from ST, but there's no point since I hate their TOS and customer service...seriously, it took two calls, each one transferring me two or three times to actually get my CC to no longer be on auto-debit. I was this close to just calling my CC company and telling them to stop all payments to ST.)

I'm currently getting the AIO service...since I use GV for all my calls,texts, I assume I shouldn't bother porting my number? My ST is paid up until Dec 4th, I figure if I port it, there's the chance it could port "too soon" and I'd be without any service until the SIM from AIO arrived.

I'd love to use the T-Mobile $30 plan, since I actually use very few minutes, but, well...

:suicide:

EDIT: Ok, I decided to get AT&T GoPhone, because ST completely stopped working for me entirely yesterday. Maybe they got pissy [=because I canceled my recurring charge or something. But I needed something right away so I could, you know...have a phone. So fine, I'll pay $5 more a month for AT&T, if nothing else I should get faster LTE speeds, right?

But right now, only on HSPA/HSDPA/whatever, but I knew there were only one or two LTE towers in town, so I'm just not near them at home or work. Fine, I had HSDPA entirely when I was on StraightTalk.

Only...it's slow as death. Slower than my ST connection was (well...when it decided to connect properly and not be a whiny bitch.) Anyone else have a speed problem with GoPhone? I'm getting less than 2 Mbps download, and like 0.3 Mbps upload. I've tried it in three places:

1) When I first activated the service in the downtown area, which should be the fastest and, in theory, if there's LTE I wold expect it there.
2) My home, which is maybe a half mile from the downtown area.
3) Work, which is a few miles from the big downtown hub, but still in a well populated "commercial" area that I got 5-8 Mbps on ST.

Oh, and sometimes it just loses all service intermittently. Just now, I looked at my phone and it had no bars with a little "x" near them for a minute or so.

Before I go back to the AT&T store (for all the good that'll do, since they will probably just pull the "well, the advertised speed is the maximum, no guarantee! bullshit) I was just wondering if maybe there's some better APN setting I could use. I was skeptical of the one the guy in the store gave me, since it only had, like, three things for me to input...a lot of blanks in the APN settings fields.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 26, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Re-posting this since I'm still experiencing this problem:

I decided to get AT&T GoPhone.

Right now, I'm only on HSDPA...in theory, there's LTE in this town, but it's brand new and probably just in a coupel small areas I haven't been to yet...that's fine.

Except...the HSDPA is slow as death. It seems like it's going at whatever the just call "3G" (despite the H logo near the bars always being there.)

Slower than my ST connection was. Anyone else have a speed problem with GoPhone? I'm getting less than 2 Mbps download, and like 0.3-0.5 Mbps upload. I've tried it in multiple places around town, and only once was it faster than 2 Mbps, and even then it was a tad slower than what i was expecting/what I had on ST (it was about 5 Mbps in the heart of the "downtown" area.)

And sometimes it just loses all service entirely. I'd say 1/4 to 1/3 of the time when I try to use my phone, it shows no bars with an 'x', and I have to wait a couple minutes for it to re-connect.

Before I go back to the AT&T store (for all the good that'll do, since they will probably just pull the "well, the advertised speed is the maximum, no guarantee!" bullshit) I was just wondering if other GoPhone users know of a better APN setting, or something else I can do myself to fix this.

But what could AT&T actually do? If their service is lovely, it will be lovely on another SIM card, right? At best, all that could do is solve my connection issue. I wonder if GoPhone is intentionally lovely service to get you to "upgrade" to a real plan...which maybe I'll have to do. If nothing else, I can sell the phone I get by getting a new plan, right? Looks like their version of the HTC One and Moto X are free with a plan right now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Complaints about GoPhone speed/connection

Update:

For anyone that cares (or who is thinking about GoPhone,) I did some searching and the problem was with the APN. Even though it's the one they tell you to use/have you set up in the AT&T store, it's terrible. It does NOT allow you to connect to LTE, despite GoPhone being advertised as having LTE speeds. And on top of that, it possibly limits your H+ connection to less than 2 Mbps...it certainly seemed to be doing that for me. I was out with a couple coworkers last night, and I was flip flopping between no data connection at all, and really slow H+, while two other people also with AT&T were getting great LTE speeds.

I changed to a better APN described here:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1799376-Gophone-with-LTE-Speeds!!!!-My-experience/page3

Now I get both faster H+ (around 5 Mbps,) and LTE (it averaged ~ 9Mbps, but it peaked at 14 Mbps, and I only had one bar of LTE.)

Seems like it would be some sort of false advertising on the part of AT&T to say that GoPhone users can use their LTE service, but then deliberately cripple their connection by giving them bad settings that 90% of users will never know about/think to change.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The rear end Stooge posted:

I guess Virgin just implemented some kind of image compression system because all JPGs loaded in web browsers while not connected to Wifi look like dogshit now.

Were you just reading the forums in a browser as a way to show us the image compression, or do you not actually use the Awful app?

Though I've heard the iOS version isn't as great as the Android one, so maybe that's why.

But either way, yeah, that looks like hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Has anyone else here had problems with MMS on AT&T GoPhone?

I have tried two different APN settings:
Name: ATT
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: none
Port: none
Username and password are blank
Server: none
Mmsc: http://mmsc.cingular.com
Mms proxy: wireless.cingular.com
Mms port: 80
Mcc: 310
Mnc: 410
Authentication type: none
APN type: default

and:
APN: pta
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: internet

And also a third that just uses "Phone" for the APN, but is otherwise identical to the second one.

My data connection works fine on LTE for either of those APNs, I just can't send or receive MMS messages to save my life...most of the time. Sometimes, out of the blue, it will just work. The last successful one i sent was Sunday night. Since then, the ones I try to send fail, and the ones people send me have a notice saying they failed, and to click to download, and even if I wait till I'm an an area with full LTE, it will just hang at downloading and then after several minutes, repeat the message that the MMS failed to download.

• Locked thread