Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So is there a difference between singing up for StraightTalk AT&T and StraightTalk TMobile? And is StraightTalk + Nexus 4 basically the best Android way possible?

Looking at my usage right now I'm at about 700 MB for this month, but pasts months have been 500, 250, and 250, so I don't think I'd have to worry about being bugged for going over. Would I be able to setup the Nexus 4 as a Wifi hotspot (to use a tablet while I'm on a cross country train journey)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ok, some questions on Straight Talk. The OP mentions a separate Tmobile Straight Talk and an AT&T Straight Talk. Can you choose which one you get? Are they any different?

And since Only Tmobile has the HSPA+42 that the Nexus 4 can use, how does that work with Straight Talk?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And to be clear with AT&T there's no roaming onto Tmobile towers?

Ugh, there's just so much space without coverage, but then again I hardly ever go to those places.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What's up with the differences in the AT&T map in the OP and the StraightTalk coverage map (http://www.straighttalksim.com/coverage.php)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Even with only one number for Google Voice right now, I get a huge number of missed calls or voicemails in Google Voice when my phone never rings. That may be the Sprint integration being terrible though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Zero VGS posted:

They let you buy an "add-on pack" of 150MB for $10. If you just allowed it as an overage it would be $9. Guys, basic math is a reason some of us aren't on post-paid, you know.

When they reference "most reliable network", they're implying they're only an AT&T SIM, correct?

No, they're on Verizon. It says so in their BYOP section. Also, the fact that their coverage map shows south western Wisconsin, which nobody covers with GSM for some reason.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Mister Fister posted:

Page plus has a good prepaid card for $80 where it lasts 1 year and gives you 2000 minutes i think.

Edit: Although, i think it'd be easy to forget to reload every year

I was going to suggest Tracfone, they have the same deal, but it's more expensive ($100 for 400 minutes per year).

Your business process might be good enough that a yearly renewal wouldn't slip through the cracks, or it might be possible to be notified before your airtime expires or something?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, it's only Speed Test?

From what I've read, it's the proxy that breaks that app. You'll have to remove the proxy to get that to run, it seems.

Though uploading and downloading are prohibited on ST's service, I'd say downloading an app or two should be okay as long as it's not some HUGE game or something.

Wait what? Using data is technically prohibited?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just activated my AT&T Straight Talk card on my Nexus 4. Speeds are way better than Sprint (lol Sprint) but I can't get a good reading with the Speedtest App. It says I've got 5kbps down 1200kbps down, even though downloads are snappy. Oh well, it's still awesome.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there any problem with taking out the proxy in the APN settings for Straight Talk? I kept getting proxy timeouts and generally terrible data connection, and now that I removed it everything seems fine.

And can ATT ST roam in Canada (Vancouver specifically)?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a Nexus 4 with ATT ST and Google Voice for my voicemail. I also use my GV number as my primary number. GV gets most of my voicemails, but sometimes my phone gets a voicemail that's the GV menu, and every time I get a GV text message, I get a voicemail notification. Can I completely turn off the VM service on my phone or with ST?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I ditched my actual cell number for GV so I don't even know what my phone's current number is, so I've got no problem jumping from ST to AIO. However the wife takes her number with her, so that could be a problem. ST has been fine because we don't use a lot of data, but I just got a new car and it has all sorts of fancy built in bluetooth stuff and I'd like to be able to stream Pandora or Google Music or something while I'm on the road, which we of course can't do now with ST.

So if anybody figures out how to port from ST that would be great. Also AIO trip reports on a Nexus 4 would be great as well, because that's what we've both got.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Getting a Nexus 4 or one of the Google Play editions would be my recomendation, then you don't have to deal with all the manufacturer/carrier crapware.

I just use Facebook chat for all my messaging. I find it to be way easier for all involved. Thankfully I don't have many friends with iPhones so the iMessaging thing has never been a problem. I know why Steve made iMessaging the way it is, but I really wish he'd designed something open that everybody could use to replace SMS. Or that Google would finally get around to using GV or other things to destroy SMS, because I know they'd do their best to make it cross platform.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I did the math, and as a regular Target shopper who already has a Target Card, the cost comes out to $43.33 a month (5% off the $50 and $25/6 subtracted each month, since I'm gonna spend that money anyway).

Maybe we're seeing the downfall of the 2 year contract in front of our very eyes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Leap doesn't have any infrastructure, they're an MVNO. AT&T is a GSM company, worst case scenario they kick all the CDMA people off of cricket and move everything to AT&T, but they'll probably just operate two products, just like Straight Talk does.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm confused about this MMS stuff. Doesn't GV just ignore MMS messages? Does it only work if Hangouts is the default SMS app?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah I've also given up on MMS. When someone asks me about a picture they sent me I'm like "are you from the past?"

E: And I don't have any friends with iPhones so I don't even know what "group messaging" is.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ShaneB posted:

You guys must not have girlfriends/wives/kids... every girl I've dated in the past year+ wants to send photos of cute poo poo from time to time. Pets, nieces/nephews, whatever.

MMS is just a thing that still exists and the fact that GV hasn't made it work shows how little they loving care about GV.

My wife and I use Facebook Messanger, and send plenty of cat pictures to each other. Ever since I discovered an app called Beluga, that then got bought by Facebook and basically became Facebook messanger, and also since I work underground with no cell service, I've put a much higher priority on messaging not being tied to my physical phone than anything else. Also the fact that it's a group chat system that doesn't make Android users feel like second class citizens is nice too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I do auto refill with ST on the $45, and with local taxes and fees based on my local zip code it ends up being a few cents over $50. So with AIO there's no local taxes or fees whatsoever? And the $35 AIO plan is equivalent to the $45 ST plan? And people have been able to port their numbers from ST to AIO?

This is perfect.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just got my first AIO SIM card, and will be ordering another soon for the Mrs, so how can I save even more money with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How do I know if I'm getting the $5 Autopay discount? Will it just say $40 until 5 days before my bill is due?

• Locked thread