Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used Walmart's T Mobile Family Mobile setup?

Getting extremely annoyed at Virgin Mobile right now, because my Reverb lost data on Friday and so far nothing. Tech support has been a big :confused: and it kinda defeats the point of having a smartphone when data doesn't work.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.myfamilymobile.com is the link from the pamphlet I got at the store yesterday.

Didn't see anything about a 30$ Tmo plan though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Can't really decide between the 30$ tmobile plan (some months I do go above 100 mins, but not often), and something like ting.

Hopefully I can sell my HTC One V and my Samsung Reverb for enough cash to grab a new phone with minimal irritation though.

Has anyone compiled a pros/cons list? I live in La so I know I won't be getting 4g service, but I'd like to know if something has roaming or something extra that charges for when I am out and about.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wow, tmobile phones are expensive.

drat, I might just go the straight talk route, hell I dunno. Virgin just has me so pissed off at the moment with the data being off for 3 days and poo poo customer service that I'm ready to lob the drat thing into the street.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a plan around 30$ or so, and a decent phone (current one is a samsung reverb) meaning android 4.0, and that's pretty much it. Phone limit price is around 150.

Looks like I've got a bigger chunk of research to do that originally thought.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know of a good place online to get the virgin mobile refills?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know a good place to buy the codes for the top ups for virgin mobile?

I'm on the 35$ plan, but refillmobi.net is out of stock of pretty much everything.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've used em before, but they don't have virgin anymore :(

Just gonna bite the bullet and use the top up on VM's site.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to tell what service (at&t vs tmobile or straighttalk) would work better in a given area?

I am on virgin mobile at the moment, and while the phone service is pretty good, the data service is pretty terrible. I'm seriously thinking of moving to another network, but have no idea which one to roll with.

The coverage maps all look the same, so no idea why I have pooptastic data service.

Also, if someone could recommend a good android phone to use, I'd appreciate it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 9, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, small town in Louisiana. Right between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Thinking T-Mobile might be the way to go (I dig the 30$ plan, cause I am cheap), but I'd like to get a phone that does 4g since it's apparently available in my area.

What's the go to AT&T plan that is best/most cost effective?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Normally I'm an android phone guy, but the Nokia 521 is kinda calling my name.

Anyone move from an android phone to a windows phone? Worth it?

Seems kinda cool, but I'm a little worried about things like viruses and spyware and all that jazz. Seems like it'd be more widespread across a wide os platform like windows than a smaller platform like android.

Yes, weird worry, but it's there.

Only real downside I can see so far is the horrible color scheme the phone apparently defaults to.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ok, potential retard question here, but just checking before I do something stupid.

Microsoft has the nokia 521 on sale for 69$. I want to get it to use it with tmobile.

I'd LIKE to transfer my number from virgin mobile to tmobile.

HOWEVER

I'd also like to get the cheapy plan from walmart for 30$ a month since I barely use the damned thing as is.

SO... I have a tmobile sim I got from tmobile.com when they were free, and I want to buy the phone from microsoft. I'm assuming that kills any chance of getting the 30$ plan from tmobile.

Is it possible to go to wal mart and buy a sim card for the phone?

Just wondering the best route to go about getting the phone and the cheap plan.

Edit - What's confusing me is the "Or activated on tmobile.com" part of the plan description.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 11, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, took the plunge and ordered the 521. Will post a trip report when it comes in and I attempt to transfer my # from virgin mobile to t-mobile.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, got the nokia 521 in today.

Had to call VM to get my account number, and learned if you want to port out they will TOTALLY THROW A FREE MONTH AT YOU, but anyway, got the phone in and got it set up and activated online.

Things that suck (so far)
1: This is my first sim card, so some kinda diagram saying BABBYS FIRST SIM and how to set it in there would be awesome. I figured it out, but it was kinda weird.

2: The screen is cluttered as gently caress.

3: No idea how to just move my contacts in without sucking in everyone I have ever emailed in my life.

4: Windows/MS wants you to send loving EVERYTHING through their data servers. Text inputs, urls, etc. They say it's safe but I still opted out cause that just seems like I'll read about a massive hack in a month and worry about my cards and passwords and whatnot.

5: The UI is just kinda... I dunno if clumsy is the right word but it's not set out like android where poo poo is just THERE and you tap what you want. It literally gives you a list of the programs you have installed and you just swipe down the screen till you find it. Weird. It just not intuitive like android.

6: I don't like the white case on the back. Makes it look like some kinda mexican iphone ripoff you'd buy at the flea market.

7: Plastic switches/buttons.

8: The usb cord is loving TINY. Seriously, it's like 6 inches long.

Things I like (so far)
1: loving 4G OH SWEET GOD I HAVE ACTUAL ACCESS OH HOLY JESUS I HAVE SIGNALS AND poo poo.

2: The main screen, while being incredibly cluttered, is actually pretty easy to follow once you figure out the pattern.

3: The lock screen is nifty, literally swipe up or swipe down.

4: Wifi connects pretty fast. Dunno if it was a problem with my old phone but it seemed like it took forever to connect.

5: It's a nokia so I have a feeling if I need to, I could club a puma to death with it and it'd still make calls.

Things about T-Mobile that I don't like :
1: The activation/sign up seemed to go off without a hitch, but when I went to add money to the account, the website poo poo itself and told me about how auto pay wasn't a valid date when there was poo poo all about auto pay on the screen. I finally went to callingmart.com and got a pin # there to add money to my account.

So far, (4 hours into owning this thing) I'm not peeved about swapping phones. Carriers... no idea yet. Haven't got the number ported yet so I dunno about voice quality, etc. Gonna try netflix later on and see how the screen looks.

All the things I didn't like/don't like are just little piddly poo poo. I will fully admit that. So far, pretty solid phone.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 18, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SB35 posted:

Either of you guys using the Awful forums viewer on your 521? How is it?

Just downloaded it. Works pretty well, except I can't figure out how to go to the last post read instead of a page number when looking at a thread.

Also, had to turn the content filter off, because everything I looked at had ***** ********** ** ***** in it, because we apparently talk rather salty on here :allears:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

You didn't ask for a response, but as a fellow 521 owner I'm jumping in anyway.

1. I guess if you've never put in a SIM card before it could be strange. They usually have an embossed diagram that makes it pretty quick how it's supposed to be orientated.

2. Main screen can be however you want it. I assume you've figured out how to customize tiles and tile size. Out of the box it's always full of carrier BS and huge tiles, but it takes like 30 seconds to get rid of that poo poo and another couple minutes to make it what you want.

3. This may be gmail or whoever you use for email's fault for saving everyone as a contact.

4. Not sure I even know what you're referring to, but I probably opted in.

5. Once you get the main screen customized it's pretty elegant. Everything that you need all the time is on the top page, secondary stuff is below. Everything you only need every once in a while stays on the app list. Way, way better than Android's wall-of-icons in my opinion, but to each their own. I don't have enough iOS experience to give an opinion.

6. I've never been a fan of white, but mine has grown on me a bit. The 520 has other colored back plates you can swap in for like $10, but they apparently don't fit the 521 for some dumb reason.

7. Considering they need to be part of the snap on case I can't complain too much, but they do feel cheap and thin compared to other phones.

8. I'm not sure why they went with the 1-piece charger + 6" USB cable rather than doing the USB charger and using that cable. I have tons of micro USB cables, but the short one they provide is really nice for keeping in my laptop bag, so I can't complain.

I guess I'm just used to android. I've used em ever since I got a smartphone that wasn't a palm. It was nice having a page for social stuff, another page for reading stuff, another page for internet stuff, home screen for home/email stuff. this just sorta lobs everything together.

Like I said, all the complaints are all piddly poo poo basically. It's just style vs style when it comes to an operating system, and I'm more used to the other guys. I'll get used to this one.

Haven't had a chance to really DO anything though, cause apparently my port is taking more than 24 hours :argh:

Still, battery life is loving amazing considering I charged it when I got it, and it's still going now, even with wifi on and weather updates and whatnot. Can't wait to see how it works when I actually tie into a cellular network and can make calls and stuff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, got my number ported.

Finally called tmobile and asked em wtf was up (it was day 3 of nothing happening), they said "Invalid account number!" and I was like "NUH UH" and they were like "TOTES" and I was like "gently caress".

So, I called VM and asked em, and they told me the account number which the first dude I talked to hosed up, so I got the actual real account number and called tmobile back, and told them the new account number, and about 15 seconds later I got a txt on the new phone saying "OMG TOTES PORTED" and a warning to stay on the phone if I call 911 cause it'll be a day or so before the phone/data/etc is all matched up to where it should be.

So, my plans for calling 911 and yelling "CATCH ME IF YA CAN YA BASTARDS" has been shot in the foot, but other than that it's all good.

Speed is about 3-4x what it was on VM, still trying to get used to the whole windows phone experience, and I'm kinda sad I can't figure out how to move my phone's sms and mms over to the windows phone but I guess I'll live.

So, basically, the lesson to take from this is triple check your account info when you leave VM because they will probably gently caress it up, and also call the porting # for tmobile cause they can get that poo poo straightened out asap.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if the nokia 521 supports tethering on the dork plan from tmobile?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thinking of upgrading from the nokia 521 to the lg black optimus f6, but kinda thinking "enh... I dunno".

Pros -
Newer phone
better camera
flash
android
will presumably be able to get emojis again, which makes sexually harassing the girlfriend with text messages more entertaining

cons -
will lose nokia radio (which is awesome)
battery life is probably shittacular compared to the nokia
less memory than the nokia

Newegg has a sale on it this weekend, where it's on sale for 105$.

I have a budget of about 200$ and use tmobile (on the dork plan), so if someone knows of a better/more awesome phone, lemme know.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah. Moto g lte seems to be the choice. Apparently the moto g doesn't have an expandable memory card slot, which just boggles the mind.

Now I just gotta decide if it's worth spending the 220$~ for the moto lte version...

Appreciate the help guys :)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 23, 2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just as a heads up, talked with Harbor about moving from tmobile's dork plan to their 40$ plan but they DO NOT port from tmobile.

Rep suggested going from tmobile to google voice, and then porting it over from there to Harbor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking of porting to GV because I wanted to go with a new carrier, but there's a :20bux: fee. That kinda sucks, but to be honest that's about what I'd pay for a cheapy at&t phone to port from, so enh.

• Locked thread