Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

DEO3 posted:

Kind of a follow up to Jota's question, when choosing a Straight Talk SIM for the GNex you have the choice of "AT&T Compatible Phone", "T-Mobile Compatible Phone", and "Unlocked GSM Phone." I was just going to pick AT&T since they have better coverage than T-Mobile, but what network does "Unlocked GSM Phone" put you on?

EDIT: Looks like it's the same as choosing the AT&T option, as it just puts an AT&T SIM in your cart.

I was wondering this too. Moving back to the US from overseas and seeing as I have an unlocked Nexus S I-9023, which doesn't have the at&t frequencies. Guess I'm stuck with T-Mo coverage until I get a new phone. Any Chicagoons care to comment on T-Mo service on StraightTalk in the Chicago area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

whatever7 posted:

Btw Apple still has to make a special version of iPhone for China Mobile, the largest carrier inthe wprld anyway. The unified hardware thing is a gimmick.

Apple never has made a special phone for China mobile. Only China Telecom (CDMA), and China Unicom (GSM/WCDMA) offer the iPhone. China mobile users use unlocked iPhones on 2G data.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

sanchez posted:

Google voice does not work like that, you'd need to look at something like grooveip which is not great if you actually depend on your phone for work etc. I'd get the $50 (on contract) or $60 plan instead in your case...

Or you could go with the $45/mo unlimited everything SIM from StraightTalkSim.com available for Tmo or att coverage.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

I wonder how fast these prepaid companies (specifically Tmo & straight talk) are going to be about getting out nano-SIMs.

The new iPhone is rumored to use them (Vodafone UK posted about having 500k of them stock piled for the big day so it's all but confirmed) and my girlfriend is intent on buying an unlocked one on day one. She's going to be rather disappointed if she can't put it to use right away.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 12, 2012

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

Take old SIM card, cut plastic off old SIM card, job done.

http://www.solutios.com/simcutting/

May not be that easy, the nano-SIM is even smaller and thinner therefore to make it fit one may have to take it to a piece of sandpaper or something to get it to fit. see here

e: am I being dense here? I'm talking about a new, even smaller than the iPhone 4 sized SIM here. Nano SIM

SB35 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 12, 2012

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

I contacted StraightTalk regarding availability of Nano-SIMs and they called me back almost immediately to say "we don't know".

Then emailed me just to reiterate

StraightTalk Customer Service posted:

Dear SB35,

Thank you for your interest in Straight Talk Wireless. We are
responding to your recent inquiry.

Our customers are of great value to us. We understand that you want to
know if Straight Talk will be releasing Nano SIM cards soon.

As per the conversation with one of our customer service representatives today, September 12, 2012, at exactly 3:49 PM EST through the phone number [xxx-xxx-xxxx], we were able to answer your inquiry. We have informed you that there is no update yet whether or not Straight Talk will be releasing Nano SIM cards soon.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-888-251-8164. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.

Thank you for being a Straight Talk Wireless customer. We appreciate
your business.

Sincerely,

Straight Talk Wireles

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I found Straight Talk online, they sell SIMs at Walmart, is this a good option?

If it's cheaper to get a CDMA prepaid phone that supports rudimentary android stuff like Whatsapp that's fine too, but I'd like to use my own phone if at all possible.

Your only problem is going to be that StraightTalk doesn't sell SIMs at Walmart. They only sell them online RIGHT HERE. So I guess order one and have it shipped to a place you know you can pick it up at, and you're good to go.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Well poop, I'm gonna be on the move a lot, so that won't work. Thanks anyway.

At least you should be able to pick up a Tmobile activation kit (SIM kit) at any Tmo store and activate it online with whatever plan you prefer. If you absolutely must buy the SIM in-store, that's an option.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

CaptMorgan posted:

They actually do sell a SIM card packaged with a 30-day card for $60 inside Walmart. But I had to go to 4 different Walmarts before I found one which carried it or had it in stock. The one I purchased contained an AT&T SIM, AT&T micro SIM, and a TMo SIM.

Wow, I've never seen such a thing. Thought they just sold them online. Wish I could find one of those.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ShaneB posted:

Just a little report. I use StraightTalk and in the past week streamed about 400MB from my subsonic server, 32MB from pandora (comedy station is efficient!), and used about 150mb from google voice, facebook, browser, etc. I got a call today saying my data usage is excessive. I know this is a thing that can happen, so I was just mentioning that it does!

That seems quick. I did much worse during my first month on ST, due to moving house and having no internet for a week or so. I really racked up 1+ GB in a week, with a particularly heavy 450mb worth of tethering in one day. Never got a call. Barely using more than 500mb/month recently though, got enough WiFi around.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

Oh hey, here's a question - in the T-Mobile SIM kit, what size SIM do they give you? Old-style? Micro? Nano (which I doubt)?

When I ordered the kit online I got the old style, big SIM. But if I recall, you could get that or a micro SIM.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

I ordered online last Saturday. Man, don't tell me I'm going to have to cut my SIM down, I've never had to do that before...

Unless you indicated somewhere, or made a choice somewhere; you'll be getting the big SIM. They aren't tough to cut down though. There's guides all over the internets. Maybe practice on your old sim first just so you don't gently caress up the new one and have to wait without any service.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Xeom posted:

Ok, so i was just gifted an iphone 4s(att locked). And I am just about ready to order my att micro sim from straight talk.

Before I do, I just wanted to know do i need to do anything special to the phone to make things like text and data work?

It's pretty simple. This video on youtube should get you there.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Long Francesco posted:

Is there a way to start a new month early on the tmo 30/mo plan without screwing anything up? I've got 6 days left, I'm out of minutes and hit the data cap a couple days ago. Having throttled data feels like I'm back on vm all over again

My gf had the same problem a week ago. We just put like $35 in the account so she could use the extra $5 for the 10 minutes of voice she'd need before the month reset. I too thought it would be as easy as add $30 and select the choice to restart the plan now. I was sorely mistaken.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

I am thinking about doing exactly this with the Nexus 4 once it comes out. This will be my first smartphone! Can any goons in the great lakes region (Indiana specifically) vouch for the coverage of T-Mo prepaid? I'm on verizon right now and the coverage is excellent but I'm tired of overpaying for contract plans.

Do it. Unless you routinely use more than 100 min per month, then go with straight talk $45 per month plan. Tmo is decent over here in NWI and closer to Chicago but judging by their maps, it's not so great everywhere.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

How much data does Maps use? Would it cause me to go over Straight Talk's hidden limit?

Straight Talk's "hidden limit" is up there around 2GB. Google Maps wouldn't use nearly that much with normal usage. I use GMaps quite often and the navigation as well, I think maps has consumed as much as 150mb in a month, that's it.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, I have an AT&T iPhone 4 and seriously gently caress this $80/month plan.

What do I need to do to go about using this phone for the T-Mobile pre-paid network? I don't use voice for anything more than emergencies, and I don't care that my data will be slower than hell.

Can I just get my phone unlocked and order one of the micro-sim starter kits? Does anyone have them in stock?

Alternatively, are there any T-mobile phones that I should look into buying to replace mine, if that is easier/better? $35/month plan is incredibly inciting, and I am not in a contract currently.

You know you can use straight talk and continue to get AT&T service for only $45 /month right? Then you won't have to worry about whether or not 3G works in your area

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Truman Sticks posted:

Thanks for the quick reply. Would porting my number to Google Voice and back count as becoming a "new customer?" And if so, is porting your number to Google Voice instantaneous enough that I could switch my number to it, then to my new sim card? I just want to minimize how long I'll be out of service/without my old number.

Porting your number from GV and back to TMo probably would count as becoming a new customer. But why would you? You can keep your number and GV and have it forward all calls to your phone, and you can call out using your original number (now GV) making use of the GV app. It makes things easy if it turns out that Tmo sucks for you, or you want to switch to AT&T or some other MVNO that comes along with a better deal.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Jeratain posted:

My family has taken in a married couple from another country who are in the US on refugee status. I'd like to get them setup with mobile phones so they can get around easier. Budget is obviously a consideration but here's the criteria I'm trying to help them meet.

1) Two lines
2) Two cheap smartphones
3) Ideally unlimited text + data
4) They will do international calling, but this can be done through Google Voice or through a phone card, so no need for an international plan.

Is there an ideal setup for two people, or should I get them setup on Straight Talk for $45/mo *2 or Virgin Mobile's $35/mo plan?

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving, all!

I think the straight talk setup would work out week for them. After setup it's very easy to pick up refill cards at Wal-Mart and that may be important for a foreigner without a credit card to pay online

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also still wondering about having custom APN names.

There's an app called Carrier Name that will allow you to change it to pretty much anything. On straight talk I don't know about at&t Sims but the Tmo SIM shows "home" as the carrier name.

Changing it is of course aesthetics only as changing the carrier name displayed won't change anything with your data settings

SB35 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 25, 2012

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Ok, so my T-Mobile micro SIM just arrived. It was only a $1.05 shipped from T-Mobile, so I figured I'd give it a try.

How should I go about porting my AT&T number over to them? I'd like to use the $30/month 100/unlimited/unlimited plan. It seems like I have two options:

1.) Port my current number over to Google Voice, and activate a new number with T-Mobile. Forward my incoming GV calls to my phone, and just tell everyone I text or call frequently to recognize my T-Mobile number.

2.) Port over my current number to T-Mobile, take my chances with not having service for a few days and having it be a pain in the rear end if I decide to switch carriers.

What would be easiest?

Do you have a smartphone? Because using the Google voice app you can send messages and make calls that all look like they come from your GV number. (No MMS)

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does Straight Talk allow you to disable voicemail as well?

Haven't tried recently, but as far as I can tell on StraightTalk (Tmo) no, I still get the random voice mail on occasion that somehow misses getting picked up by GV

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hmm.. how often does that happen?

Rare. Maybe once a month or less. It's always blank three second messages too.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

The SIM card just sits there forever until you pay to start it up, or punch in a credit code from a prepaid card. It's like that for ST and T-Mo. The only weird thing that ST does is if you're porting a number in, you have to call them to do it before you create the account, not after.

For ST you can port the number in the online account setup actually.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Naffer posted:

T-Mobile launched a new Prepaid carrier today:
https://www.gosmartmobile.com/compa...ell-phone-plans
(Article here: http://www.tmonews.com/2012/12/t-mo...gosmart-mobile/)

They have a $45/mo plan with unlimited talk, text and 5GB of "3G" data before throttling. That's undercutting their own $70 self branded monthly plan by $25. It's unclear what exactly constitutes 3G speeds though.

Nice! This is pretty competitive and will work well for me if I ever start going over the 2GB/month on straighttalk.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

There is a new T-Mobile prepaid option that looks really good: https://www.gosmartmobile.com/

They have a $45 Unlimited plan that has 5GB of 3G before throttling. So basically it's Straight Talk + an extra three gigs of fast speed data.

What are the downsides to this compared to the $30 plan? They aren't advertising 4G anywhere, but if T-Mobile doesn't actually have a difference in 3G/4G I'd still get faux 4G on this plan, right?

Judging by the service maps, it looks like GoSmart Mobile won't allow Voice/2G roaming on at&t towers, so that's something to consider. Puts me out of the market

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Sub Rosa posted:

Neither does the $30 plan though, I thought?

You may be right.

But, I do know that the Tmo compatible SIM card on StraightTalk does roam onto AT&T towers (voice/2G) in my experience. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to make/receive calls at my parents house.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

i barely GNU her! posted:

How easy it is to switch between AT&T and T-Mobile with Straight Talk? Can I just order and activate a new SIM or is it more complex?

As long as your phone supports it, sure.

Although I think new SIM = new number and a different account and another month of pay.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Can you text from the texting app instead of the Google Voice app?

Also, my favorite feature of Google Voice is being able to text from the GV page on my desktop browser. I don't have great cell service at work, so its really convenient.

You can text from the texting app, but it will appear as if coming from your "real number", not your GV number.

You should totally install the Chrome extension, then you can just text from that and not even bother having the page open. Super convenient.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

I was wondering about this, so here is my charges for my first month of Straight Talk:

Unlimited $45.00
Discounts and Credits $0.00
Tax1 $4.28
E911 Fee2 $0.95
Federal Universal Service3 $0.68
Regulatory Cost Recovery4 $0.09

Final Purchase Amount $51.00

Not quite $45 in the end

Maybe it's because my number is based in Indiana but I just buy the StraightTalk cards off walmart.com with an Oregon shipping address (so sales tax is 0%) and pay exactly $45 every month.

e: according to this page Indiana tax is 15.1% but as far as I can tell, I'm not paying it.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 17, 2012

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I was hoping for under $300 if possible. I saw a lot of $150 phones. Are they as terrible as I'm thinking they are? Is the Nexus 4 really that much better?

Are they used? Buying off contract nothing is really cheaper than the N4 unless it's an older model or a hunk of poo poo

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

blargle posted:

I definitely don't have that option in my GV app. Maybe "this phone's number" does the same thing (it's set to my GV number).

Which version of the app are you running? (bottom of the settings screen)

The Making Calls setting should be right there under Do Not Disturb, I'm not sure why it isn't.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

^^^^^ I'd guess it'll be on at&t GSM and they'll be selling unlocked iPhones. But that's just my assumption.

nougatmachine posted:

http://news.walmart.com/news-archiv...-unlimited-plan

So, presumably this means they'll have sorted things out with apple to give them a carrier profile, and people will no longer need to mess around with weird stuff to get MMS to work. At least, you would hope...

At least StraightTalk will finally offer nano-SIM cards.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

nougatmachine posted:

So Straight Talk starts directly selling the iPhone...and they put it on Verizon. And they still have no nano-SIM cards available.

This is bananas.

Edit: holy wow, if you get the ST iPhone 5, it's apparently Verizon without LTE service. I feel like anybody who doesn't read the fine print on this is going to be very disappointed.

This article claims it's on at&t. But whichever it is, doesn't really matter. The VZW and at&t models of the iPhone 5 both have unlocked SIM slots for 3G. Also StraightTalk doesn't sell LTE access, so I don't think anyone expected that to change.

The StraightTalk iPhones must come with a nano-SIM or the Walmart employees trim SIMs in store, though I'd guess they'll start selling nano-SIMs soon (they should, they've had 4 months already to figure it out)

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

I've got the $30/100min/5GB Tmo prepaid plan and I accidentally cut my SIM too small to fit inside the Micro-SIM slot of my N4. Can I get another SIM from Tmo or should I just cut it down to Nano size and use an adapter?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Quine Connoisseur posted:

Does anyone know if the iPhone 5 that Straight Talk offers through Walmart does LTE? I'm already on Straight Talk with an iPhone 4 and want to upgrade, but from what I've read it seems like it would just be easier to get an unlocked iPhone 5 from Apple and cut down my old SIM (I know the Straight Talk iPhone 5 is on Verizon so that wouldn't be an option if I went that route). Suggestions?

Straight talk iPhone doesn't do LTE (on ST at least). Probably just as well off buying an iPhone directly from Apple and cutting your card.

If you buy from Apple the at&t or Verizon version are both okay. Both have unlocked SIM slots for 3G, whichever you get just depends who you might wanna go with in the future of you decide to get LTE

SB35 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 27, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

BoyBlunder posted:

I set up my T-Mo # to ring on GV. If someone calls my GV #, it'll route to my phone (with my prepaid T-Mo SIM), and if I don't pick up, GV will handle the voicemail.

If you're checking the voicemail on your phone using the Gvoice app, it'll only use data to download the voicemail message, no minutes are used.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Baby Proof posted:

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you put a non-data sim card in a smart phone? If I put a T-mobile no-data prepaid sim in an older iPhone, would I end up with an iPod that can make phone calls, or would it be unusable as a phone?

It should work fine, but it may have pop ups occasionally complaining about no data connection.

Has anyone taken their straight talk (at&t) phone to Puerto Rico? Girlfriend is going for spring break and I'm wondering if she'll have decent signal and data.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Holy poo poo. I'll just do that.

I was on hold for like 10 minutes before I gave up, just called em back and it's been another 10 minutes.

Lesson learned.

Straight Talk has no phone support. At all.

e: How do you get to the live chat?

I thought ST phone support was pretty decent, they even offer to call you back if the hold line is too long.

Does this $2.50 off for enrolling in the auto service get you $2.50 off for every month? With taxes and such it may still be a good deal, but that cuts it down to like an actual $1 off as opposed to buying it on walmart.com with a CA address (no tax)

FFStudios posted:

T-mo praise
$60/month isn't exactly cheap... and $70 you're getting into contract territory.

$45/month on ST T-mo is a much better deal in my opinion

SB35 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Feb 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Does the ST Tmobile have issues with iPhone mms like the AT&T does? About to switch my wife over to the Tmobile $50 plan and if its basically the same to go to the $45 I'm all over that.

I use Google Voice (thus no MMS) so I have no idea. Sorry.

• Locked thread