Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

After using Cricket for about 5 years before moving to Virgin Mobile and finally to Sprint, I can tell you that Cricket's internet is absolutely the worst I have ever encountered. It's slow, even before throttling.

The service is nice...only if you don't plan on leaving where you are. You won't get much help at their stores (which will usually have a really long wait) if your phone breaks down. In Omaha, they're the "ghetto" phone service.

Even with the iPhone, I wouldn't recommend my family to go to them. Most of them have moved to Boost Mobile or Virgin Mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Has anyone ever ordered something off of the VM website?

I tried ordering the HTC V, and got to the page with the confirmation number but... nothing in my e-mail.

Should I just wait around and see if it's shipping sometime this week or something? It's odd they wouldn't provide a receipt of some kind.

I ordered the LG Optimus V off of their site when it was new, I didn't get a receipt either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Those ByteNow rumors are pretty much rumors but the LG Nexus is kind of confirmed at this point. There's a real prototype floating around, the leak of the 4.2 Gmail app signed by Google has been posted online, and a number of other things have come to pop up over the past week.

A Russian site has done a sort of review on the prototype device (including press-release style photos of the device and photos from the 8MP camera).

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-s-nexus-here-s-what-we-know-so-far

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/1...earchive-video/

http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/10/12/exclusive-download-the-unreleased-gmail-4-2-apk-with-pinch-to-zoom-and-more/

http://translate.google.com/transla...xus-4-review%2F

The GT-i9260 is not the Galaxy Nexus 2 but the Samsung Galaxy Premier. As of right now, no one knows if the Galaxy Nexus 2 exists.

All that's known is that there IS an LG Nexus (with no LTE and 8GB of space), but most of what that ByteNow link is seems pretty bogus.

Also, it's not penta-band according to the FCC notes on it, it's tri-band. It'll only really work on AT&T and T-Mobile right now according to the radios in it.

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/10/05/lg-optimus-nexus-passes-through-fcc-with-att-bands-and-nfc-as-the-lg-e960/

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...=278241&fcc_id='ZNFE960'

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LiquidRain posted:

Let me check on the Nexus S 4G for you - the Galaxy Nexus is blacklisted from the BYO(Sprint)D program for *cough* "reasons" *cough*. Don't want you buying a phone you can't bring in.

A few notes about the Nexus S 4G in particular, if it can be a part of the program. First, those other folks who've gotten it over on Ting pick up a cheap-rear end Ting phone and then reprogram the ESN (may have my acronym wrong there) from the cheap-rear end phone onto the Nexus. It's kind of like duping a MAC address of a PC network adapter, or the IMEI of a GSM phone. Those people weren't porting, they were modifying their Nexus S 4G and never turning on the crap phone they bought from us.

Second note about that phone - it's not 4G LTE. I'm not sure when Sprint's old 4G WiMAX service ends, they've never said, but the lack of LTE will hurt the capabilities and speed of that phone in the long run. (I'd give it 2-3 years, that's a personal guess, not a statement on behalf of Ting or Sprint) Without that WiMAX coverage you're stuck in just-as-bad-if-not-worse-than-T-Mo EVDO speeds.

Sprint's WiMAX is supposed to end around the end of 2013. Probably this time next year. Maybe even faster now that SoftBank owns part of them, who knows.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Since the LG Nexus 4 won't come to Sprint any time soon, I was wondering exactly how Straight Talk GSM works. I've been to their site but I wouldn't know what's CDMA and what isn't.

Are there some caveats I should be aware of?

I'm currently a Sprint customer and I'd like to keep my number as it's thoroughly tied to Google Voice and I like using Voice to be able to text from my computer. Will this type of integration be possible with Straight Talk?

How about Google Wallet, does that work pretty well? I don't use Wallet much, but I'd like to use it if I have the chance.

For data, is it actually "unlimited" at the $45/mo plan or is there a catch? Looking at my current month on Sprint, I'm using 128,146KB of data as I mostly spend my time on wifi. I've heard ST is really REALLY strict with their data, would this be a problem for me?

I tend to use Google Music at times when I'm out and about. Would this be a problem on Straight Talk? How about YouTube or Skype?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

1) Straight Talk GSM, you choose whether you want the AT&T or the T-Mobile SIM from them. It's the same price, so choose the one with better service in your area. (Though if you have good T-Mobile service, get the much better T-Mo $30 plan)

2) You can port your number to Straight Talk. Unlike most ports, you have to do it after you receive their sim but before you activate the account. There's instructions on the site. If it is critical that you keep your number forever, port it to Google Voice instead of Straight Talk.

3) A quick Google of Wallet for Straight Talk suggests it works fine for some people and not others, so I wouldn't bank on it.

4) The data is not unlimited on the $45 plan. They will cock-slap you if you go over 2gb or try to stream music or netflix for any substantial amount of time. They're infamous for cancelling accounts without warning if you go overboard (and with it, your number, so see #2). If you don't stream music or video and stick to just apps and browsing, it should be really hard to go over the 2gb.

Is Straight Talk a really good choice for Nexus phones, however? I mean with Google Now and the new Voice Search.. are there other GSM prepaid alternatives (preferably something that uses AT&T's spectrum as T-Mobile is just flat out broken here).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

We're talking about the LG Nexus in the USA. So scroll back to the OP and the "AT&T" and "T-Mo" towers lists are the only value players in town. There's that one other AT&T MVNO, H20, with a higher price and lower set data cap instead of ST's nebulous "unlimited* *but we might murder you, randomly".

Google Now and Voice Search still don't use much bandwidth in the grand scheme of things. 2gb is hilariously easy to exceed if you stream music/movies, and virtually impossible if you don't. The only edge cases would be if you hosed up and downloaded a giant game without wifi, or set your Dropbox photos to upload without wifi.

That is true. I'll keep it in mind, I have until March to decide what I want to do anyway. Thanks for the answers! I may have more questions in the future as March draws closer.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How is Red Pocket in terms of service? I've heard that they warn if you go over 10,000 text messages as that's all AT&T allows them. However, they're not that stingy on data like Straight Talk.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

They're not that stingy because they specify that they only have a 1gb data plan.

I barely use 100MB a month on Sprint so I could get by easily on 1GB. I'm mostly concerned with the text message limits that they seem to have (though I don't think I could hit 10,000 a month).

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is there something on Straight Talk GSM's site that will show you your data usage?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How much data does Maps use? Would it cause me to go over Straight Talk's hidden limit?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

Straight Talk's "hidden limit" is up there around 2GB. Google Maps wouldn't use nearly that much with normal usage. I use GMaps quite often and the navigation as well, I think maps has consumed as much as 150mb in a month, that's it.

Bobulus posted:

The only way I could see it happening is if you manually cached a huge map area.

Depending on what OS version your phone is running, you might be able to go into Settings and look at your data connection to see a breakdown of which apps have used how much data in the past month.

If I cache the map area, it'll use 3G instead of GPS?

Also, Straight Talk is kind of starting to seem like a big hassle. Is there any other AT&T MNVO that would have a defined cap other than Red Pocket (which I may use instead). I think I'd rather have a cap than something that'll randomly throttle me.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone in Omaha, NE on Straight Talk AT&T? How is it?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone know of a good cheap (preferably free) GSM AT&T phone I can use for Straight Talk to test out their service for a month? It doesn't have to be Android or even a touchscreen but I'd prefer something that has internet access so I can test that as well. MMS is also preferred.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

I hate to sound silly, what you described is every single GSM phone that has 1900 MHz frequency made in the last 6 years.

I figured, I have never used a GSM phone though. I'm kinda new to it, really.

I'm not sure if I want to leave CDMA though because I'm not sure how good AT&T's service here is. I asked some Best Buy employee and he did his best to push me away from AT&T's prepaid stuff (Straight Talk included) because, according to him, it's bad coverage due to no roaming.

I don't really want to throw down $100 on a GSM phone that may or may not work though so I don't know a good one to try.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Ask a coworker with AT&T if they have an old phone you can borrow for a couple days. Or just ask in this thread/the AT&T thread about your market. TMo prepaid has worked great for many in this thread. There are a couple who have used Straight Talk ATT and seem to only have issues if you use too much data but besides that like the service.

I'll probably check out the at&t thread here. T-Mobile doesn't really work in the Midwest so much.

Is it true that the service would be worse than postpaid Sprint just because of no roaming?

The data doesn't bother me too much, I only used 5mb of data yesterday and I was out for 5 hours.

From the 21st of October through yesterday, I've only used 13mb.

E: and since I'm here, anyone using straight talk at&t in Nebraska? Speifically in Omaha. How is it?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 5, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

I'm in the first Major metro directly south of Omaha, and TMo, ATT, and Verizon works great, Sprint not so much.

Take a look at this map:
http://opensignal.com/

T-Mobile? It doesn't work at all in Omaha. In fact, they have towers here, used to sell service, but now they no longer do.

AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint are the only big carriers here. The rest are all US Cellular, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, and Cricket.

Good to hear that AT&T works well just outside of Omaha though. I sometimes head to Council Bluffs too.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Straight Talk phones are sold at Walmart.

Are they the GSM ones though?

Choicecut posted:

I just gotta chime in and say that I ditched TMO and got another ST ATT SIM for my phone and now both my wife and I are on ATT. I cannot believe how good the service is. It completely destroys the postpaid Sprint plan I had before as well as TMO. I have 3 to full bars on HSDPA EVERYWHERE I go. Even at my house I have full bars where Sprint had none, and I live out in the sticks of Southeastern Ohio. I never lose service on my 40 hour commute where I would lose signal in 2 different spots on Sprint. I just can't believe how awesome it is and wish I would have did this years ago.

It's funny, when I tell people about prepaid plans now, I realize how stupid I was. I would justify postpaid just like they do. "What about phone insurance, I gotta have that", "What if something goes wrong, who do I call?", "What if my phone needs work, where do I go?", "I am afraid of not having good cell reception!".. On & On.

This is really awesome news. It should work fine for me in Omaha, hopefully.

I asked around on ST's Facebook and one customer told me to leave roaming on or my signal would die when I left an ATT area. Is this true? On Sprint, I leave roaming OFF because it just costs me money.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Long Francesco posted:

If there's no tmobile where you live you're not going to be roaming on anything when not in att's range.

That shouldn't be too bad since AT&T's coverage isn't too bad here supposedly.

I don't know though.

I've had so many mixed reactions from people I've asked so I'll probably see if I can pick up a GSM phone to test. If Walmart has them, I can grab them sometime this week.

Does anyone know of a cheap GSM phone to start out with to test the sms/mms (not required)/data?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 6, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

You could always walk into Walmart and buy the cheapest phone for the one you want to test.

I'll probably grab some Samsung Galaxy thing. It's only about $120 or so.

I figure I should stick with an Android phone so it's easy to port over to a Nexus 4.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

You said you didn't have that much money...

Here's a decent condition Galaxy Captivate off eBay for $90: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gal...=item2324e312f2

It'll run CM10, and I'm sure you can resell it on Craigslist for $100 whenever.

Didn't see that one, I'll check it out.

Thanks!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Should I buy the SIM + plan now and wait for the phone or does it really matter? It won't activate anything until I actually insert the SIM, right?

I ask because I've never done GSM before so I don't know.

E: Also, can you text Puerto Rico with the $45 plan or do you need the international $60 plan?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 7, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Planning on buying a SIM + plan today but still looking for a phone (stupid me didn't buy the one Zero VGS posted in time last night).

I can do this, right? There's no obligation to use the plan immediately when I get the card?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is it possible to buy a SIM + $45 plan from Straight Talk and just hold on to it? It won't take efffect until I actually plug in the SIM and all that, right?

I still can't find a test phone that'd use MicroSIM so I'll probably just buy the Nexus 4 and go with that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Yep that's what I'm doing. Got my MicroSIM sat here chilling until my Nexus 4 arrives.

Sweet! I'll order it now then. Thanks for the confirmation.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

Remember to use the code SIMSAVE if it's still valid and get $10 off the SIM and plan together.

Very first thing I did, actually. Apparently, the stuff was still in my cart from last time. Huh.

Walmart around here claims to sell GSM phones but I didn't see any SIM cards.

e: Can the Nexus 4 do international texting on ST GSM? My friend has ST CDMA with the LG Optimus Q and he can do it (as the website states) but I don't know if they allow it on GSM ST because it doesn't say much at all about their GSM side.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 11, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

I would assume it's kosher. What would prevent texting to international numbers?

I don't know but apparently ST has an active block on it that only two CDMA phones can do it for free. He has a friend that moved to Australia and can text him freely on ST CDMA.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

That's odd. I wonder if you can get around that with GV integration, if need be. Not entirely sure, though, since I don't know if Voice replaces your SMS with sending data to Google, who then sends the SMS, or if it's something where it still gets routed through ST when outbound and GV when inbound, with the app just serving as record keeping. That's assuming you can even integrate GV on ST.

GV only seems to integrate completely on Sprint's postpaid. I'm sad about this, but to save $40/mo, I will live.

Another problem is, I don't think GV does international anything because it doesn't even recognize Puerto Rico. I can text my friend from PR all I want on the stock messaging app on Android on my NS4G and due to the integration, it'll show up on the GV app/website, but I can never respond. GV will claim it can't send to international numbers.

I think, with GV integration, it replaces your SMS with data and sends the SMS as the SMS you sent never shows up in the official Messaging app. I'm not sure how it'll work without integration...never tried that.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

If I travel somewhere where AT&T sucks, can I buy a T-Mobile SIM card ahead of time and cut it to microSIM and use it while still on Straight Talk or am I permanently stuck on AT&T?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

gariig posted:

Your phone number is tied to a sim card so you could swap sim but not have your phone number on it. I've done the opposite way in that I have T-Mobile but I had to travel to no-where Kentucky that didn't have T-Mobile service. So I purchased a Straight Talk AT&T sim and activated it and used Google Voice as my main phone number.

I will say if you have AT&T you won't need to use T-Mobile's network. If there is T-Mobile service 99% of the time you'll have AT&T service.

AT&T doesn't work in Flagstaff, AZ but T-Mobile does (sort of). I'll probably buy a T-Mo SIM and use Google Voice if I need to.

Thanks though!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

Sigh.

Are there any that won't give me a bunch of poo poo if I try to do it? Looking more at the Straight Talk (ATT) service, it seems like I could handle $45/month as well. My iPhone is unlocked, so will I have to worry about loving with it to get MMS to work?

Also, are there any stores that will have the Straight Talk SIM cards? Or will I have to order one?

You'll have to order a SIM card from straighttalksim.com but, from what I've noticed, the iPhone may need a bit of messing with to get MMS to work...but, then again, so does Android sometimes. Apparently, it has to do with you need two APNs. One for cellular service, SMS, and data and the other specifically for MMS.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Would turn-by-turn work okay with ST's $45/plan? Would it really pull THAT much data?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Turn by turn should be fine, really without streaming things you should be fine with straight talk. 2GB is a lot different than 30MB. But again, you could use Android's ICS and beyond data controls to make sure you don't raise ST's ire.

Yah, I can do without streaming, I've gotten so used to never streaming on Sprint due to slow data, I just offline mode any music I want and ignore videos.

Thanks for the quick response!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How long can you keep your Straight Talk SIM / $45 plan card before it expires? It looks like I'll have a bit of a wait for the Nexus 4.

lazer_chicken posted:

The worst problem with those super-low end phones is the tiny storage space. See how it only has 170mb of internal storage? Well you're going to install 5 apps and boom it's going to be low on space and then you can't do poo poo. Don't be fooled by the fact that you can add sd cards. Unless you root the phone you often can't move apps to the sd card. You'll have gigs upon gigs free on the sd card but 7MB free on the phone and it's a constant battle to keep clearing the app caches and jesus christ it's so annoying. I used to have the Optimus V and it was the same way.

Plus they are stuck on an already-outdated version of android and will not ever be updated, ever.

The weirdest problem I ran into with the Optimus V's low space was when I ran out of space, I also ran out of the ability to receive texts.

I'd also stay away from any phone that doesn't have a sort of good development community. At least then you could root/ROM a sort of updated OS on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jeratain posted:

My family has taken in a married couple from another country who are in the US on refugee status. I'd like to get them setup with mobile phones so they can get around easier. Budget is obviously a consideration but here's the criteria I'm trying to help them meet.

1) Two lines
2) Two cheap smartphones
3) Ideally unlimited text + data
4) They will do international calling, but this can be done through Google Voice or through a phone card, so no need for an international plan.

Is there an ideal setup for two people, or should I get them setup on Straight Talk for $45/mo *2 or Virgin Mobile's $35/mo plan?

Thanks and happy Thanksgiving, all!

Unfortunately, Google Voice cannot do international calling/text. It won't even text to Puerto Rico.

The only one I can think of that does international anything is Straight Talk's International plan.

My mother uses Boost Mobile and I believe they have international as well.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I noticed that, if you change the APN name, the phone will display it as your carrier.

I was wondering, if I don't want "Straight Talk" as my APN name, could I just put whatever I want? I've noticed some ST users around the net having "Home". I wouldn't mind just putting AT&T or Sprint or whatever to freak people out.

I'm just not sure if it has to 100% match with what ST has on their site (which is "Straight Talk").

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How is your service with ST, anyway?

My father turns out to have had ATT on his ipad last time he visited and said he was able to get a decent signal and decent speeds whenever he needed.

I'm currently visiting him in FL right now (went to the beach today :v:) and Sprint is absolute poo poo. I mean, loving terrible. This exurb sprawl poo poo is for the birds, it's goddamn 20 minutes drive to anywhere of importance and my phone turns into a handwarmer en route.

I have yet to actually use the service or the SIM card because I'm waiting on the Nexus 4. I'm $50 away from being able to get it so I figure I'll just wait it out.

I talked to a few friends with AT&T and they all said that its much better than Sprint. However, I haven't been able to test it myself just yet.

I'll have the Nexus S 4G and Nexus 4 in service at about the same time since I anticipate I'll be able to buy a Nexus 4 in a week or so, so we'll see how they compare.

Surprised to hear about your problems with Sprint in Florida, though. I have a friend who's in Texas but moved from Florida, he says his phone wasn't so bad there. Then again, maybe it was because he got an iPhone now and I don't think he's on Sprint anymore. :v:

Also, you're lucky about the beach. It's loving freezing here.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 24, 2012

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've heard that removing the proxy for Straight Talk's AT&T will help stop them from throttling you randomly. Is this true?

Also still wondering about having custom APN names.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Even with only one number for Google Voice right now, I get a huge number of missed calls or voicemails in Google Voice when my phone never rings. That may be the Sprint integration being terrible though.

I've found that removing and readding the number fixes this. Sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SB35 posted:

There's an app called Carrier Name that will allow you to change it to pretty much anything. On straight talk I don't know about at&t Sims but the Tmo SIM shows "home" as the carrier name.

Changing it is of course aesthetics only as changing the carrier name displayed won't change anything with your data settings

Yah, I know it'd be cosmetic only. Just something that'd be interesting. Thanks for this though!

Sprint does not actually have 4G in Tampa. Was strolling around downtown (around the university/river/park near the police building) earlier and never once picked up 4G.

Visiting family down here is really pushing me towards jumping ship to prepaid+N4 on an ATT/TMo MVNO (Likely Straight Talk). Both my father and his wife have T-Mo phones, and my father's got an iPad with an ATT SIM in it, none of which drop signal. Sprint's coverage is just so loving bad here. I have the extended battery in my GNex, and the god damned thing loving dies in 6-8 hours from a full loving charge. I mean, I can't fault Sprint too much for having this weird desire to stick to civilized areas (he lives in the sprawl way North of Tampa where we have to take a loving toll road to go anywhere worth going) but I have never seen them fail to provide at least workable service. Here I've repeatedly gotten an empty triangle in the signal indicator. Not the grey no-bars symbol, but a line drawing of a triangle indicating absolutely no signal whatsoever, as though I might as well have been deep in goddamn NORAD or a loving mineshaft somewhere. I could see weak/thin/sluggish coverage in this exurb sprawl bullshitland, but nothing whatsoever? :cmon: Sprint, you're better than this, but if you're getting out-covered by T-Mo, maybe we need a heart-to-heart.

I often wonder if there's an unpursued antitrust violation where the Big 4 have been colluding to stay out of each others' way across the CDMA/GSM divide in the boonies. Sprint covers the Omaha suburbs pretty well, whereas ATT/T-Mo don't, yet it's reversed down here in Spring Hill (FL) with Sprint being non-existent and ATT/T-Mo running the table. Considering they get paid regardless due to roaming agreements, it's feasible. Despite it being :tinfoil: as all hell as it is.

T-Mobile actually has towers here in Omaha but they don't legally need to sell the service from them. They used to have service here a few years ago (my research shows as far back as 2003) but it's gone now. They still have towers, however. My cousin has i-Wireless, a T-Mobile MVNO and it worked perfectly fine while he was here. T-Mobile just doesn't want to sell service here.

As for AT&T not working, I've heard that they work fine and actually fair better than Sprint does (when I checked one of those sites that shows the best carrier for your area, it showed that AT&T was #2 and Sprint was #4. Verizon was #1, so who knows? Either way, I'm not anticipating having a bad signal here. Can't be as bad as Sprint where the signal is so awful, it ruins my Nexus S 4G's battery in mere hours (four hours and it's dead if I'm on 3G).

If I can't get 100% perfect service, I can always borrow my mom's Boost Mobile for a quick call. :v:

• Locked thread