Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

Sorry, should have said I have an Android (GNex.) Not iPhone. That wiki seems to be for iPhone only.

But thanks for the info that SpeedTest uses proxies...so even though the Android APN settings for StraightTalk have a proxy, it's not correct?

I think that if you put the ST proxy into your APN settings it screws with the speed test. That being said, I'm still having trouble with my Gnex + StraightTalk and I've never used the proxy (except when troubleshooting). Very rarely can I complete the speed test, most of the time it has a connection error when it attempts the upload or download portion. My phone will jump from HSDPA+ to 3G and drop connection even with a strong signal. I tried my SIM in my brother's Gnex and it had the same issue. My connection was great until a week ago.

I was trying to make this post from my phone, outside, with 4 bars and it kept timing out so I had to hop on my desktop. I'm going to see if I can get a new SIM from ST and then I'll explore my other options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

DEO3 posted:

What exactly does an APN proxy server do, and what does it mean for me now that I've deleted it?

From what I've read the proxy server is used to measure data and block things like Youtube and stream media that Straight Talk doesn't allow on their service. I've never used it and I've never had connection problems relating to a proxy server, but I have had connection problems like you described.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have straight talk with an ATT sim and I've never used their proxy. I fill in the port (80) but never the info for the server. Speed tests, YouTube and streaming apps work fine.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was also spammed with those ST refill texts but then I was never charged and my phone was deactivated. I've been on auto-refill for months and I just reactivated and "re-enrolled" in autopay with the same credit card it should have charged yesterday. If the service wasn't so cheap I'd go else where because everything else they do seems to be trash.

• Locked thread