Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

enthe0s posted:

So if I port before my contract expires, I'm forced to eat a early termination fee? Somehow this doesn't really seem right to me.

When your contract is up with verizon you'll go month to month until you cancel or port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

enthe0s posted:

I was talking to a friend of mine who said he did this recently, and he suggested that since I'll be switched to a month to month plan, I could try to just downgrade my plan to the cheapest they provide and pay for the 1st month and then go ahead and port my number to GV. I don't know if this possible, but I guess I'll call Verizon tomorrow and see if I can do that. From what I've gathered on Google, it's 375 - (# of months in contract * 10) for a smartphone early termination fee, so I would be at 145 since it's my 23rd month.

Makes much more sense to just go ahead and pay the 1st month to month fee and then cancel.

Verizon also shouldn't make you pay for service you're not receiving. If your contract is up on the 5th, you'll get billed as usual. If you then port out on the 7th, you should be refunded the remainder (whatever you paid - the 2 days you were still on contract).

At least that's how I understand it working. I'm planning on doing something very similar when my contract is up in July.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

Posted this in the Verizon thread, maybe someone here can offer an opinion for me?

$200 for the iphone + $350 for the ETF is $550. A quick glance at ebay shows the low end around $575 for a new iphone 5. If waiting and small profit from flipping it are worth it for you go ahead.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

MrBond posted:

edit: Does straighttalk even plan on restocking att sims? Their website makes zero mention of it and only presents the tmobile one now.

Net10 was only showing Tmobile SIMs for a while but now has ATT again. So hopefully give it some more time.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

It's still showing T-Mobile for me and I'm not seeing AT&T's name anywhere on the site.

Must depend on your zipcode then:

That's from net10sim.com

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

TLG James posted:

So ST and AT&T looks dead for the foreseeable future. Even the ST sims are selling for 80 bucks or so on Amazon. Net10 AT&T sims seem very plentiful. What's the catch?

Costs more and is capped at 1.5GB a month of data.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Still a valid question why they are still sold out and haven't restocked. We were told they would be restocked by now, it's starting to get a little concerning.

They went away and came back on Net10. StraightTalk is a partnership with Wal-Mart though, so I'm guessing that ATT wants more data caps; Wal-Mart doesn't and neither side wants to back down.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

gariig posted:

No you get HSPA+ just like a normal plan. The biggest difference between T-Mobile pre-paid and post-paid plans is data roaming because pre-paid has no data roaming at all but post-paid does roam. You can roam for voice and SMS on a pre-paid account.

So if I went to T-Mobile post paid, I'd roam on ATT and get 3g data?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Oh AT&T launched their prepaid service:

http://phandroid.com/2013/05/09/att-aio-wireless/?utm_source=feedly

Hahahaha gently caress you AT&T

Edit: This is the only place reporting the throttling so far though.

From the terms and conditions on the aio website.

http://www.aiowireless.com/legal-info/plan-terms.html posted:

High speed access with download speeds up to a maximum of 4 Mbps for compatible devices. Maximum data download speeds are reduced when usage exceeds high speed allotment.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'd do what Don Lapre said. Red Pocket is good but it's only on Go Phone levels of service. ST's AT&T is using post-paid coverage (only because America Movil can afford that). Also, you roam into T-Mobile and I can 100% confirm that. I went to Nebraska City and roamed the whole way there.

Also, yay I won't be the only person in Omaha with a Nexus 4 anymore. :v:

Does that apply to all of America Movil's MVNOs? I'm not real interested in getting gouged by ebay for a ST sim and was considering net10. I can live with the data cap.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

Just use Net10, same exact service as ST except they tell you right off the bat that you have 2.5gb of data, where as ST doesn't tell you that.

Note its 1.5gb of data on net10 with an ATT sim. I just activated mine on a nexus 4. I'm getting better reception on ATT than I was on a verizon gnex. I'm pretty happy (and saving $40 a month)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Lblitzer posted:

Errrr yeah 1.5gb. Even so, for $45/month it's a pretty good deal unless you want to try out GIVmobile or Ptel (2gb at high speeds) for $50/month.

Its the best deal if you need AT&T coverage, and don't want to pay for a straight talk sim. Its really better than straight talk as you know upfront what your limitations are.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Well apparently I can't port my number into google voice. Super.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

dik-dik posted:

poo poo. What provider are you trying to port from?

Verizon. Says " This number appears to be from an area we don't currently support for porting."

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

I got the same error when trying to port from Sprint to Google Voice in the Bowling Green Kentucky area. I had to get a new number from a nearby area.

I'm in southern Indiana. I already ported over to Net10. Now to wait on them to send me a new sim card. Hopefully it will fit.

EDIT: Just got a text, apparently they were able to just apply my ported number over to my current SIM. So long Verizon!

Rap Game Goku fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 7, 2013

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I have a friend that wants to move to prepaid, and she lives in an area that only gets good coverage from AT&T and Verizon. Since StraightTalk no longer sells AT&T sim cards, is Net10 her only option at this point? Can you still buy AT&T sim cards on Net10? She wants it for voice/data/text and probably uses less than 2GB of data at this point.

You can buy an ATT Straight Talk SIM off ebay. If you want to start from scratch, you can get an ATT Net10 SIM, but they don't always offer them from the website.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Jensen posted:

I was having this issue with net10 as well. I found a huge post on Howard forums about it. It made the service unusable so I just dropped it for aio wireless and couldn't be happier with this new service.

Doesn't Aio throttle you?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Safe and Secure! posted:

Are there any plans that beat the T-Mobile $30/mo 100minutes/unlimited text/unlimited data?

If you don't need more minutes and have Tmobile coverage? Not really.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

berzerker posted:

How vigorously are the rules against streaming music enforced? Are they going to cut me off early for using Google music all access at the gym an hour per day?

There's a hidden clause of 100MB per day as well, I'm not sure if an hour of google music would bypass that. The worst part is that it takes a couple days for them to cut you off. So it stops working and you have to back track to see where you went over.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Venkmanologist posted:

Is this going to be unlimited in the same way that Straight Talk is "unlimited", i.e. severely limited?

Terms of service didn't look that different. You're still prohibited from streaming and tethering.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Jensen posted:

I have AIO right now and it's postpaid. All ATT towers.

Keep in mind the LTE is hard capped at 8Mbps down.

But there's also no restrictions on what you do with your data like StraightTalk has. Might be worth the :5bux: extra.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Also isn't AIO the only prepaid to support LTE so far?

*Nevermind, looks like AT&T GoPhone does too. Speaking of which, is there any difference between the GoPhone and AIO other than a $5 price difference for similiar plans?

AIO lets you bring your own device, and has better data packages. The $70 for 7GB of LTE is pretty good considering your other options.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Can any one with AIO mention what speeds you get when you're on 3G only (with and without having spent your data). I have a Nexus 4 right now, so LTE doesn't do much for me.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Straight Talk/Net 10 is supposedly adopting a more 'transparent' data use policy:

http://www.phonenews.com/straighttalk-and-net10-officially-adopt-more-transparent-data-policies-24027/

Hope this isn't bullshit, because that'd be awesome if true.

Their ToS still says:

The NET10 Unlimited Plan MAY NOT be used for certain unauthorized uses that adversely impact our service. Examples of unauthorized uses include, without limitation, the following:
(i) continuous uninterrupted mobile to mobile or mobile to landline voice calls;
(ii) automated text or picture messaging to another mobile device or e-mail address;
(iii) uploading, downloading or streaming of uninterrupted continuous video;
(iv) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (“P2P”) file sharing; or
(v) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. A customer engaged in unauthorized uses may have his/her Service throttled and/or terminated .

If this means they're getting rid of the 100MB a day, then super. But you're still restricted otherwise.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm on AIO and it's pretty drat good.

Compared to Straight Talk, it's like a cheap postpaid with no roaming.

Straight talk or AIO is a cheap postpaid?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

SB35 posted:

Motorola Moto G is on sale now!
$179 8 GB or $199 16 GB
Currently only black, but swappable color backplates are "coming soon"

Note: if you plan to use T-Mobile US, get the US GSM version as it supports AWS. If you plan to use AT&T or do any traveling, get the Global GSM version as it supports 2100 MHz.

It seriously doesn't come with a charger?

Motorola posted:

In the box
Moto G in black
USB cable
Quick start guide

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Has anyone here ported from Straight Talk/Net10 to AIO using the website. If so, how? I keep getting an error, and so far am not impressed with AIO's customer service.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

SB35 posted:

Please keep us updated as I plan to do this next week. Do you have your ST account number correct? That's the number found on your sim or in your online account.

yes, tried that and the IMEI that the phone spits out after dialing *#06# same error each time. And AIO's dedicated port number just goes to voice mail...

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

The Entire Universe posted:

It's because ST/Net10 is a cavern of dicks who lie to you about porting information just to punish you for leaving.

That's what I've gathered. It appears the easiest way is to port from ST to go phone or T-Mobile or something then into aio.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

I know, it's only 450kB/s, which is considerably slower than what I get:

HSPA+ is capped at 4mb/s LTE is capped at 8.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

SB35 posted:

I am unfortunately getting dicked around right now porting from ST to AIO and currently without a working phone. I read online that it was much easier to port ST > GoPhone > AIO than ST > AIO but of course that was after the ball got rolling. If by any stroke of luck any of you goons work for AIO or ST, please help me get this poo poo situated via PM.

Yeah, I had to go from Net10 to Gophone to Aio. But Aio is working pretty well so far. Haven't had any "you're connected to the tower, but your data isn't working" moments like I constantly got on Net10.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

SB35 posted:

From a couple of anecdotal posts, you should be able to port ST>Tmo>AIO within a day, maybe two. So, almost immediately.

Yeah, going from net10 to go phone took like an hour for me. Then a couple days to get the aio Sim, and that port took about the same.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

It's important to note that APN settings are going to be the same no matter what model phone you have. It's just that if you're bringing your own phone; you'll need to enter them yourself.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Well then, there's the catch!

Anyone able to address my previous question? Who has ported from GoPhone?

I have and I didn't have any problems with the port. You did get the right account number from AT&T? I want to say that mine was 15 digits and I think its specific per phone (may be wrong on that second point.)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Anyone know if its possible to swap SIMs between phones? Currently using Straighttalk BYoD GSM pre paid plan with a generic Chinese smart phone that is acting up and needs to be warrantied. I was hoping to be able to just pull the SIM and put it in another phone so I can use the same number while I wait for replacement.

Yes, that's the whole point. Some phones get locked to a specific carrier, but generally, if the phone will take the SIM it should work.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

carb0nex posted:

Is it still difficult to switch from StraightTalk to AIO? I remember reading a post where a guy couldn't use his phone because it was taking so long. I planned on going to an AIO store and having them do it there. I just don't want to lose my number nor do I want it to take a week.

I haven't had any problems with StraightTalk, but it seems if I do in the future, their support won't be helping me.

There's a special "porting team" at AIO/Cricket that can get you transferred, but you have to call them at a number that isn't published (it shows up if porting fails on the website) and they don't always answer. When I switched, I went Net10 -> GoPhone -> AIO. GoPhone to AIO was easy, it just took a couple days longer than it needed to cause ST is dicks.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

SB35 posted:

I could stand to pick up a device and flip it every year. Or keep it in a box until it can be unlocked and then flip it. Hm.

Fifty bucks off full price of an iphone isn't going to get you very far unfortunately.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

carb0nex posted:

Is it really limited to that speed when a Speedtest is performed? If actual speeds are more than that, I'll probably just end up switching.

I used to get 20+ on HSPA+ in speedtests on Net10 (so Straight talk). I only get 4 on Cricket, but web browsing feels much faster since I'm not waiting so long for data and there aren't random times where my data just wouldn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Loucks posted:

My wife needs a phone for the next week for reasons (FedEx sucks). All she needs is text and voice, no data. We do need to get the phone in person this weekend. Is a Go Phone from Walmart on the $25 unlimited voice/SMS plan with no data the most part economical way to do this? Are any of the low end handsets worth a drat? Is there a better way? Buying a used phone is basically a non starter because I won't be around to troubleshoot, and we have no old handsets to activate.

How many days is it? You can get a goPhone flip phone for like $15 and then its $2 a day for unlimited phone/text.

• Locked thread