Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

spengler posted:

I like my triumph.

Has a good community of ROMs behind it, too.

Me too, i guess i was lucky in that i've had no problems with mine...

I haven't checked out the ROM's yet though, is there a good stable ICS ROM that has everything working yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

http://pocketnow.com/android/htc-ev...r-virgin-mobile

Rumor is that the HTC EVO 3D is coming to virgin mobile... is it a good phone?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

cycowolf posted:

My wife and I are grandfathered on the 25 dollar plan with our Optimus V's but I am leaving. The issue we are having with the network is getting old. I have talked to the foreign call center one too many times now. They tried to convince me that its not the network its that my wife's phone and mine broke in the same way at exactly the same time.

Sprint has a map of planned network improvements, might want to see if there's any improvements going on in your areas. My data speeds of improved recently.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Naffer posted:

The plan is only available to new signups, so here's the series of steps you need to take:
1) Buy new T-mobile SIM card. There is at least one amazon seller who ships them for a dollar or two.
2) Sign up for the $30 ONLINE. Not in store, not on the phone, online. Pick the correct plan. Don't sign up for any other since it's only available for new activations.
3) Once activated, call T-mobile and ask for a number port. They'll need your temp Tmobile number (given when you activated in step 2), the number you're porting, plus the account number and password/PIN from your sprint plan.

If your $30 plan ever lapses because you didn't have money in the account for a renewal or if you switch plans you can't get it back, so you have to make sure to always have money in your account when the billing date comes around.

Even if it lapses one day you lose it???

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Stupid question, but for the T-mobile/Walmart $30 plan, can you also add the $100/1000 minute plan on top of that to add additional minutes to the paltry 100 minutes/month?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Rastor posted:

i think you are maybe confusing the plans with the prepaid account refills.

So the plan costs $30/month (30 days) which gives you unlimited texts and data (first 5GB unthrottled), and 100 minutes. Additional minutes cost $0.10 each, deducted from your account.

You put money into your prepaid account either with a credit card or a refill card, with the $100 refill cards being popular. So at $0.10/minute, a $100 refill is good for 1000 minutes.

If you actually used 1000 minutes in a month, you would have $30 + (900 * $0.10) = $120 deducted from your prepaid account. Which would mean you would have been better off with the $70/month unlimited minutes plan.

Ahhhhhhhh ok, drat that sucks, so i guess those 1000 minutes from the refill cards don't last a full year?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

berzerker posted:

Right, on contract plans it's common for received calls not to count against your minutes, so people get used to that and think of Google Voice calls as free (they always count as received calls because of the way GV works). However, prepaid plans count incoming and outgoing minutes the same.

With GrooveIP/Talkatone, though, you're bypassing that entirely and calling entirely through data. I know that doesn't take minutes because while I'm out of the country I'm using my phone without any sim card at all exclusively over wifi via Talkatone, and haven't had any problems with that (aside from finding wifi, obviously).

Really? I swear when i had AT&T it would count incoming calls against my minutes, unless it was nights/weekends.

Never heard of such a thing on other carriers

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 26, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Stupid question, but which cell towers does republic wireless use again?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Encor3 posted:

Sprint towers

Ah ok... guess it was wishful thinking that it'd be verizon.

Anyone know if the phones can be modded with existing mods like cyanogen? Or would that basically break the cell tower/wifi switching capability?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

I was wondering how groove IP handles having your google voice pointing to both your phone and to groove ip? If someone calls you, does it ring both somehow? Or does it only ring groove ip if it's running? Thanks.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Rastor posted:

Today Sprint made it official that Virgin Mobile USA (edit: and Boost Mobile) will get the HTC EVO V 4G. It seems to be a tweaked Evo 3D (no 3D screen)? It will run Android 4.0 and HTC Sense 3.6, and get WiMax 4G data. Even with 4G the plans/prices will remain the same.

But it would mean i'd have to give up my grandfathered $25 plan, right?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Bleh, i think i'm going to jump to t-mobile's $30 plan and galaxy nexus.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Pricing on the iphone 4 on VM revealed:

quote:

First rumors, then fact. From Friday June 29th, Virgin Mobile customers in the US can have an iPhone to call their own. Both the iPhone 4 and 4S will be up for grabs on the Beyond Talk data and messaging plans from $35 per month or $30 when registering for automatic payments. The price you pay for not having a contract? That'll be $649 for the 16GB 4S or save $100 by going for the 8GB iPhone 4.

Hahaha, that's insane.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Edit: Looks like i got a connection... 2 and a half hours later.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 26, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Did you buy the Nexus retail? If you bought it used, you might have been scammed with a bad ESN phone. Those will show a full signal but get no service.

Also make sure your SIM card isn't installed backwards. I've seen it happen.

I bought directly from google. I think the sim is installed correctly (the metal contact is facing down into the phone). I called t-mobile help support and they said it can take 2 to 24 hours for it to activate after we went through a whole bunch of troubleshooting steps. Not sure if that's true or not. Anyone else had to wait for a long time for their phone to activate on their network?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Is it possible to get a refund on the T-mobile $30 prepaid? I only used a little bit of data and a couple minutes of calling. I think i'm going to try straight talk (AT&T), at least my co-worker says she gets signals.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Glimm posted:

Is there anything crazy I need to do to get a Sprint branded Evo 3D working on Virgin Mobile? I'd like to set the Evo up for a friend but I've never dealt with CDMA oddities and switching carriers.

(The phone is rooted/flashable, but I haven't flashed anything on it in awhile - was hoping to put an ICS build on it)

I don't think you can because it's based on the IMEI serial number and only VM authorized serial numbers work.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Arcsech posted:

Don't buy straight from Virgin, buy a used Samsung Intercept. It's literally garbage so they're dirt cheap but they have good IMEIs which is all that matters in this case.

Also you have to activate a phone on VMo & get some account info off it to tranfer onto your new one, which you can only do on an Android afaik.

Wait, you can change the IMEI on your phone? So you could get a galaxy nexus and change the IMEI to a VM IMEI and use it on VM??

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

Going to pimp Ting a little, but we're taking pre-orders for the Galaxy S3 LTE at $529 for the 16GB model. Phones will ship in 3-6 weeks, but hopefully sooner.

It feels like we're graduating, over here - we're no longer fighting device scraps and bottom-rung devices like MVNOs usually do. A bona fide top tier, brand new phone. Not only that, but it means we're now an MVNO for Sprint's LTE service, not just their old network. I think Sprint's friendliness to MVNOs in this manner will make them (and their army of MVNOs!) a force to be reckoned with in pretty short order.

And a "thank you" to the thread - a friend of mine in the States switched to the $30 T-Mo prepaid deal and purchased his own GNex. (his #1 priority was getting a Nexus, he didn't want to be chained to Samsung's updates like he was with Motorola)

I might look you guys up when 4G LTE gets turned on, hopefully i get better service with the sprint towers (currently on virgin mobile). Sounds like you're going to have better phones than whatever VM ever has.

What's the challenge of MVNO's getting those high end phones anyway?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

I'm interested in possibly getting the HTC Evo V from Virgin Mobile. I don't see any dedicated ROM development forums for this phone. Is it because you can load normal HTC Evo roms on it or something?

Edit: Wait, the HTC Evo V is the same phone as the HTC EVO 3d?

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 8, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

sethsez posted:

Exact same phone, yeah. To the point that some people were actually getting Sprint branded phones rather than Virgin Mobile branded ones.

Ah ok... i was reading a review back in june 2011 that the phone had very bad battery life (due to firmware or something). Was that fixed?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

Good news, Mr Trifecta! Here's your official reply:

Woah, does this mean it'll work with Verizon's LTE as well? I would definitely consider signing up for Ting if i can sell the phone to verizon and sprint customers after i'm done with it.

Edit: Also, another question about Ting's service on Sprint's network. I'm on Virgin Mobile and it's my understanding that virgin mobile data doesn't go through Sprint's network normally like normal sprint customers do. It goes through a proxy in Kansas City first before being routed anywhere else. I imagine this decreases performance. Does Ting have anything like this?

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 8, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Quad posted:

I put my Virgin Mobile Optimus V in the washer today.
It's sitting in a bowl of rice, but I'm thinking it's not gonna magically heal itself, and it's been a few years, so I'm out of warranty. Time for a new phone!
The HTC One V looks pretty badass, and with a comparable price to the Optimus Elite and Optimus Slider, I'm wondering if there's any reason NOT to get it?
I've been really happy with VM the last 2 years or so, it's been my first smartphone and I'm sad to see her die.

If you're on a grandfathered $25 plan, you'll be upped to $35 going with that phone, just FYI.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

My wife's Optimus V bricked - what's the goon recommended Virgin Mobile android of the moment? Cheaper is better.

My Optimus V $30 shipped with free case? :P

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

ShaneB posted:

I just recently moved from T-Mobile $30 to Straight Talk AT&T. I was tired of the lack of service in nearly any rural area on T-Mobile, and kept running out of minutes as well. Even though I wasn't spending $45 a month, I figured the increased service area for Straight Talk would be worth the upgrade.

I'm pretty annoyed with Straight Talk's use of the mvno proxy, which seems to be the cause of a lot of pages/apps not loading correctly without refreshing a few times from time to time, and also causes some apps to simply NOT WORK, like Subsonic (won't connect to servers through a proxy, apparently) and SpeedTest (not mission critical, but whatever). I understand you used to formerly be able to just not put the proxy in the APN settings, but both times I have done that the data simply stops working after a bit.

Is this something that is just part of the deal of using Straight Talk, or are my issues not very common? The same issues were happening on both an old iPhone 3G that I was using until I snagged an HTC One X from a buddy, which I am using until my GNex comes back from Samsung repair.

I'd like to know as well, i'm considering going over to straight talk. I'd be annoyed if my data has to go through a proxy. I have enough of that with virgin mobile.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but Ting has a new BYODish policy:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...-phone-network/

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

I've been trying not to be a total shill for my company, but yes - we will be offering bring your own (Sprint) device. Between that and carrying the S3 it feels like we suck a lot less when it comes to device choices.

We offer pay-what-you-use in bucket format, but maybe not exactly what he's looking for, plus our data rates are admittedly not that good. (we also won't be able to give him a micro SIM, since we're a Sprint MVNO)

I'm heading down to the States this weekend and picked up one of our in-company loaner phones, an Optimus S. Coming from my Cyanogenmod 9 T-Mo G2, this is . Yeah, yeah, it's $100, but still, I have to turn off animations to make this thing feel usable.

You would be the perfect MVNO if you didn't have that $6 per device fee. Or at least have it reduced for multiple devices on one account. I'm on the fence about you guys. Having device freedom compared to VM is tempting.

Also, do you guys have a per minute voice charge if you go over your minutes?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Actually i do like this a lot about TING:

quote:

Credits on light months.
Itís funny to us that this is considered so revolutionary. We think it just makes sense.

You choose your plans for minutes, messages and megabytes. If you go over on any of them, we will reconcile in the next pay period so you pay for what you actually used (without penalty). Likewise, if you go under on any of them, we will credit you in the next pay period so you pay for what you actually used. Again, we will credit you.

LiquidRain, tell your bosses to cut the per device fee to $3 :P

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

Have you seen exactly how we work? Yes, we charge you $6 per device, but your minutes/megs/messages are shared across all devices. And if you go over your planned minutes, we simply bump you into the next bucket. If you're close to your limit we won't bother with that, though. To be charged per minute, you have to exceed 3000 minutes, after which you are then charged 2 cents per minute. Our real ace in the hole is what happens if you use less than the plan you configured - you get dropped down to a lower bucket. You can actually setup an account with us and select 0 minutes, 0 texts, and 0 messages, and we'll simply bill you for the appropriate bucket you used at the end of the month.

It's not perfect - we're not for everyone. Our buckets aren't very granular (if you use 100 minutes you get charged $3, if you use 150 minutes you get charged $9), our data isn't cheap, and if you call/text someone on the same account you get double-billed (it's 1 minute/1 text on both devices, so it counts as 2 minutes/2 texts on the account), but if you're not a heavy user or you have multiple devices you can save some significant cash.

Do the math, check your usage, try our savings calculator, see if we're right for you. Some folks use the calculator and get told they'd lose money switching to us, other people sign up and wind up saving $100+/month.

If we suck for you, go the Straight Talk/T-Mo $30 route.

We can't go any lower on the per-device fee.

That's actually pretty good. Didn't know you could share devices on a plan.

Is it possible to block text messaging on the phones? I don't plan on using ANY text messaging (and for the few i do get, it would be over google voice).

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

God drat, i wonder how much in taxes my VM $25 plan is. It's all inclusive.

I might give Ting a try in a couple months though, since i might have one, possibly two other people on a plan with me.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Oh wow, i just read on Ting's blog that Google won't allow the galaxy nexus on Ting's network. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, those devices are supposed to be 'open'. Been a while since i've criticized Google on anything, but this is a dumb move on their part.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

This comes as an absolute surprise to me, as well. So we can buy a carrier-less GNex from Google, but not bring our own Sprint GNex? I'm on vacation right now, but I am definitely going to be asking more about that when I get back. It sounds more like Sprint wanting to keep the device unique (like an iPhone) rather than Google stopping us directly.

Yeah, i was thinking of buying 2 used Gnexus phones when your BYOSD thing went into effect.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

The $25 VM plan somehow made a comeback:

Don't know if it applies to new post-triumph phones though.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

So with Google voice...my old number i ported means anyone can call my old number and it forwards to my new number...but if I call them, it shows up as my new number, right?

You can set up Google voice to call using your old number as well

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

What are the chances that Google decides to sell their next flagship phone on their playstore again, at release and without a contract?

Like 100%? In fact, it'll be anywhere from 3-5 phones at or near the same time.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

LiquidRain,

I have another question about Ting. Is it possible to split a bill between another person? My wife is on a subsidized phone, and the rest of my family is on verizon and won't budge from them. I'd like to find some stranger (maybe a goon?) to maybe share a line and just get 2 separate bills, and just split usage in half. Is that possible?

And going back to the thing you said about 'blocking' stuff on the account:

Is it possible to set a hard cap on how many voice minutes/data is used so it doesn't go over? Also, is it possible to split those minutes/data evenly between 2 people so nobody goes over their portion?

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 7, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

A big "sorry" on all fronts. Billing is to a singular credit card, and our alert system only alerts you, it cannot stop you from going over. You have to go in manually and turn off a phone's functionality in the control panel. There is a feature in our open beta to *suspend* a phone at a certain point, but that renders the device useless - all text, voice, and data operations. The only thing you can do at that point is call us. (similar to what happens if you simply stop paying us)

We also cannot detect how many minutes you're using while on call, so if you're sitting at 90 minutes and make a 30 minute call we can't stop that call. You'll wind up going over into our medium voice bucket. Sprint only reports that call when it's done. (and there are delays in that as well, usually negligible but we cannot promise immediacy, so a follow-up call right afterwards can still happen) Data works in similar bunches as well, a video near your threshold will push you over without us knowing until it's too late.

drat, ok thanks. *coughthat'safeatureyoushouldimplementcough*

Gourd of Taste posted:

Friend splitting a cell bill with a stranger with the promise of only using half is basically the worst idea short of the same arrangement with your bank account

Well if there were hard stops, it would work. I split my amazon prime with 4 other people i don't know

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

Hi LiquidRain,

I'm 95% sure i'm going to jump on Ting.

I have a question though. 30 minutes ago, i just bought a 32 GB Samsung Galaxy S3 from cowboom, Sprint version. It's slightly used so i got a good deal at $349. Do you know a) When BYOSD goes into effect and b) whether or not the Sprint version of the SGS3 is part of the BYOSD program? I think i have about 30-40 days to return this if i can't use the phone. Or i guess i could also sell it too.

Edit: oh one more question, would i pay tax on the phone if i bought it through TING instead? Just want to compare how much i would have saved. If you guys don't charge tax, i might cancel my order and order a brand new SGS3 from you guys.

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 11, 2012

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

Send me your email in a PM and I'll forward you along to hopefully make you a part of the BYOSD beta program. Once you're in contact with a guy who can help you with that he should give you a better idea of when.

I don't believe the SGS3 is excluded. The main exclusions are the iPhone and Galaxy Nexus. The guy I'll put you in contact with will know for sure, though.

Sent you my email, thanks...

And i guess i didn't get my edit in fast enough, but could you also answer this as well:

quote:

oh one more question, would i pay tax on the phone if i bought it through TING instead? Just want to compare how much i would have saved. If you guys don't charge tax, i might cancel my order and order a brand new SGS3 from you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

We charge tax.

Ah ok... guess i got a pretty darn good deal then. Thanks again.

• Locked thread