Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

In the next week or so I'm moving my wife to t-mobile when a friend upgrades his phone to a note 3 (I'm buying out the ~$230 outstanding balance he has on his GS4.) Does t-mobile do number porting for prepaid or when they say "If you are interested in a prepaid phone and transferring your number to T-Mobile please visit your nearest T-Mobile retail store" in the FAQ is it just a polite way of telling you to go pound sand and offloading it onto their retail store employees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Just got my friends GS4 that I'm going to activate as a BYOD on T-Mobile prepaid. They left the SIM card in the phone so I took it to a tmobile retail store to see if they could activate it tonight (I haven't received my starter kit in the mail yet and don't have the activation code to do it online.)

I explained to the guy at the store what I wanted to do, and he said the 100 minutes/unlimited texting/5 GB plan for $30/month is only available on phones purchased from Walmart. Has anyone else run into this or did I just get someone who wanted to sell me a post-paid plan (which is what he suggested)?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SB35 posted:

If the coverage maps don't help, then ask around for at&t or Tmo subscribers and ask their opinion of coverage.

Word of warning on coverage maps; take them with a huge grain of salt. Carriers tend to draw them using the most liberal of estimates (and if you read the wall of text fine print at the bottom of the page they're just that - estimates) - according to Verizon's coverage map I should have strong signal at home with LTE coverage, but in reality I have to walk out to the end of my driveway to make a voice call and I might get 1X for data connectivity depending on magnetosphere conditions and what direction the wind is coming from. And I live in the fifth largest city in my state so its not like I live in the middle of nowhere.

I'd definitely ask around.

r0ck0 posted:

I get LTE most places and even when I don't get LTE the "3g" is still faster than sprint's LTE. And only $30 a month, you can't beat it!

Are you actually on 3G or their non-LTE "4G" network (which is actually 3G HSDPA+)?

I know Sprint is bad but I didn't think they were that bad...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 9, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geoj posted:

GS4 activate as a BYOD on T-Mobile prepaid

So I got my activation kit today and went online to set it up. Everything went fine until I got to the final page to set up funding for my account, filled in my data and clicked continue - the website gave me an error that I didn't select an autopay calendar date, yet there was no form on the website to select a date from - apparently this has been a problem with their website since 2010 based on posts on T-Mobile's support forum.

Had to call customer support and got bounced around between support and billing for the better part of an hour, finally talked to someone who knew what the gently caress and they were able to confirm everything went through online and they just needed to take my payment information over the phone for my first months' service

Last issue - since I'm porting a number my service will not start until the port goes through, 24-72 hours from now. Has anyone else experienced this? I was expecting a temporary number so the phone would work until the port went through, but I guess being on prepaid doesn't give you that option...? The friend I bought the phone from said his number porting went through in about three hours so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will go through sometime tonight.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 9, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

OTOH if you need uninterrupted service that might be the only way to do it; if you port with new service your phone doesn't work until the port goes through. I'm now on day two of waiting for my wife's number to go through on her phone. So far T-Mobile's customer support isn't inspiring much confidence on my end...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
I called them back today and gave them the account number (again) and online password (my father-in-law wasn't 100% on his PIN), they told me it came back confirmed from Verizon. Still waiting for service...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

My wife's (T-Mobile) phone went live early this morning.

If anyone else needs it, the number the customer support representative on 611 gave me for number porting was 1-877-789-3106, not sure if this is specifically for prepaid or if it's the general porting line but her number was ported within 12 hours of talking with them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Boris Galerkin posted:

Edit: Just realized I called customer support from my phone by dialing 611. I've been on hold for ~10 minutes. I hope this isn't eating up my 100 minutes :/.

I placed a few calls on my wife's phone to 611 before it went active, probably totaling 30 minutes (it was in some kind of limbo state where it had signal but any number dialed would go to customer support) and as of right now her account shows 1 minute out of 100 used (I made a test call to our landline when we woke up to the confirmation text message.)

Not sure if this is because I technically didn't have service yet or if they don't count calls to 611 against your monthly total...

e: apparently Verizon doesn't release your number until midnight. My wife's phone was in a weird 3/4 working state, data worked and she could place calls and send texts but it wouldn't receive calls (went to a "verizon wireless: this number has been disconnected or is out of service") or receive texts. Checked it about 45 minutes ago and its now fully functional.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 12, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

T-Mobile unlimited text/data 100 minutes/$30 month plan question - if you hit your monthly minute limit do they cut you off or start charging you by the minute? My wife is using Vonage extensions for outgoing calls (we have a 400 minute home phone plan that we barely use) but I'm starting to think I need to set her up with something that can handle incoming calls with data...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
Tmobile has a prepaid unlimited voice/text with 50 MB of data plan for $35/month. Only thing I'm not 100% sure of is if MMS is included in the unlimited texts or if it would count against the 50 MB of data.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I saw on the apple website that there is a special financing deal for the 5c/s for T-Mobile only: up to 24 mo no interest. Good credit isn't an issue at all.

Was this a deal through Apple? Because that sounds like the way T-Mobile does their phones on post-paid plans (you make a down payment and pay off the balance over 24 months, interest free, assuming your credit isn't pockmarked with chargeoffs and sent to collections) which is definitely NOT available for prepaid plans.

As far as T-Mobile goes, my wife is coming up on the end of her first month of service on the $30/100 minutes/unlimited text & data plan. We found she uses more voice that we initially anticipated (she's at 97 minutes with 8 days left on the billing cycle), and that's counting using vonage extensions for most of her outgoing calls. OTOH apparently they will star charging you .10/minute after your allotted 100 is up if you have a balance sitting on your account, which isn't terrible. Service has been about equal with my Verizon phone, to the point of I wonder if they lease tower space from Verizon as signal strength is typically the same on both phones, but of course YMMV unless you also happen to live in NE Ohio...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 1, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

d[-.-]b" post="423881908 posted:

They use completely different technologies, so no.

I meant that as in "they literally rent physical tower space to put their own hardware on."

d[-.-]b" post="423881908 posted:

Also, your question implies that the towers are the reason Verizon has good service. The real reason is the frequencies they use (700Mhz spectrum has very good penetration and range but gives up the ability to handle lots of people using it, compared to higher frequency spectrum).

Thanks, I really needed a casual observation to be dissected to the nth degree. My assumption is based on the fact that practically everywhere I go our phones have literally identical signal strength.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 2, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

d[-.-]b" post="423885345 posted:

I'm not sure what you're basing your assumption on.

Geoj posted:

Thanks, I really needed a casual observation to be dissected to the nth degree.

It was a casual observation in response to someone asking questions about a service provider. As in, not to be taken as literal fact - just "curiously, our phones always have the same signal strength, its almost like verizon and tmobile share towers!" Maybe stop derailing the thread with your LOL LOOK AT HOW STUPID YOU ARE bullshit?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 2, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Toilet Clam posted:

I tried activating my new T-Mobile Sim last night for the nerd plan. Everything went fine until I got to the "fund your phone" part, when I ran into the calendar bug. Even though i have $30 in my account that came with my activation kit, it won't let me activate. Couldn't pay with a card or e-check, so I bought a T-Mobile card off Walmart.com, but by the time they emailed me the code and i went back to put it in, my session had timed out and I had no way to start a new one. I look forward to hours on the phone with T-Mobile support tonight.

I ran into this same exact problem. It took me about two hours to get my plan funded (I was using a starter kit ordered on the tmobile prepaid website), and then since I was porting my number in from the get-go I wasn't assigned a temporary number so my phone was in a limbo state for two days before they moved the number over - it had signal, but couldn't use data and any number dialed went to customer support.

Expect to bounce between agents for a while before you get someone who knows what the gently caress. I went from the new service people to billing and back a few times until I got someone in billing who was able to take my debit card number over the phone, then to get my number ported correctly I had to call another number (1-877-789-3106 if you're porting a number and have the same problem) supplied by customer support, and I had data and the ability call out within 12 hours of talking to them, and full functionality shortly after midnight that night when Verizon finally released my number.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Anyone have experience going from T-mobile prepaid to postpaid?

Long story short, I'm thinking about buying a cell signal booster to make my employer-provided Verizon phone work at home, drop my $18/month Vonage landline and convert my wife's phone from the $30 T-mobile nerd plan (that's actually more like $35-40 after she goes over her minute limit) to an unlimited everything T-mobile plan (that I'd get a 15% discount on through work) for $59/month.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
According to the specifications:

Amazon product page posted:

Dual-band device works with 800/1900 MHz frequencies from all major carriers

I should have added that my wife routinely has 3-4 bars in our basement and full strength upstairs (there's a T-Mobile tower less than a block away) vs the no signal downstairs/one bar upstairs with a bunch of dead spots I get, so I only really need the booster to work for Verizon.

And to clear up any further questions, I don't really need it to boost Verizon LTE as I have my own broadband connection with whole-house wifi. e: and I can't use the Verizon IP based booster because I don't have my own Verizon account and my employer's mobile services group won't even help me provision one if I pay for it out of pocket.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 6, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ribsauce posted:

For something like T-mobile, how much does data get slowed when you go over your "high speed data" Can I control when I use high speed data? Or is the first 2.5gig automatically high speed? Can I still listen to a streaming podcast on low speed data?

According to this T-Mobile throttles you pretty severely after going over your limit - from 4G speeds down to .07 mbps, which is about 70 kB/s. That *might* be enough to stream a podcast.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

a retard posted:

And looking at the sim card section, I get this:

Nthing the "T-Mobile phone compatability guide is worthless" sentiment. My wife is using a GS4 that came from a T-Mobile store and it didn't show up in their database. You'll find out that their web services are somewhat lacking.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

...do I just buy the kit, pop the sim in, activate it on their site (do they give me the option to select the dork plan at this step?), then go? Can I do automatic refilling with this plan, do I have to buy a new kit/sim every month?

Basically yes. Caveat; you'll probably have to spend at least an hour on the phone when their website glitches and you get bounced from one agent to another until you finally get someone who knows what they're doing.

And no, once you have a sim activated you're set, you don't need a new one every month.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Entire Universe posted:

Probably the cost of trying to give tax breaks away to everything they can.

Or a backwards/technophobic state whose legislature is stuck in the 80s and still thinks that mobile phones are a luxury item only enjoyed by the top 5%.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ThermoPhysical posted:

I guess it's cool for companies to own colors now.

Maybe they figured since Apple owns geometric shapes why not get in on the crazy vague trademark/paten bandwagon?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Even then, given T-Mobile's predilection to having website problems it could take 2-3 days to activate even after he has his hands on the sim. It took me the better part of 4 days to get my wife's phone working on the dork plan after receiving my starter kit.

If he really just needs it for navigation I'd second the previous suggestion of installing a navigation app that stores map data locally. This is the kind of thing where if you had a month of lead time you could have the starter kit shipped over by friends/family in the US and jump through the hoops to have it activated in time for the trip, but he'd likely get his phone working just in time to leave again.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 9, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BeastOfExmoor posted:

My understanding is that the prepaid T-Mobile plans do not allow tethering. There's not a way that I know of to try hack around this like there is/was on Android.

My wife's GS4 is running on CM 10.2 and somehow they know when she is tethering. She has the My T-Mobile app installed and on her last billing cycle it showed 8/100 MB of Hotspot data used (she's on the prepaid dork plan, not sure if this changes tethering.)

e: did some digging, apparently this is (yet another) bug in their system, the dork plan isn't supposed to have any tethering and other people have reported getting random amounts of data (usually <10 MB) reported as tethering when they've either used the majority of their monthly limit to tether, or haven't tethered at all.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 18, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

Two questions:
1) Can an iPhone (say, a 4s) be used as a dumbphone with T-Mobiles $30 1000 minutes or texts plan (that doesn't seem to exist anymore)? What about a Windows Phone?

Can't see why not - and when I look at other plans on my wife's prepaid account it shows as unlimited talk/text for $35/month:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

What are the consequences of doing this on the TMobile nerd plan?

According to the T-Mobile prepaid website...

T-Mobile prepaid fine print posted:

Data roaming only available for the $50, $60, $70 & $80 monthly plans.

...you shouldn't be able to data roam at all on the dork plan.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
Probably a Sprint network issue. I remember having issues like that when I was on Sprint, although it was usually in the other direction.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

Speaking of, time to top up. Going on vacation with the family makes me use my phone more than normal...

You can set up the autopay system to keep $X floating on the account month to month. I have my wife's T-Mobile account set up to perpetually have an extra $10 in reserve for going over her 100 minutes. She usually only uses an extra 30ish past 100 so when the bill is due I get charged $30 for the plan and whatever amount has been subtracted from the $10.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Uthor posted:

Oh, is that new? I'll have to check that out.

From your my T-Mobile account main page go to view/edit autopay settings, then edit extra services > add extra funds (minimum $10.)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Anyone with T-Mobile prepaid ever get their SIM card replaced? My wife's GS4 has been having SIM errors lately and from discussion on Android forums it's either a problem with the SIM itself or the SD/SIM tray. Depending on how many hoops T-Mobile makes you jump through to replace the SIM will determine my next course of action...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sweart gliwere posted:

In my experience, completely painless and hassle-free. There's supposedly a difference between corporate-owned retail joints and contractor sites, but I've only ever found corporate ones. I've never paid for a new SIM, and replacements were handled within minutes in person. Apologies, if you live in North Dakota etc.

e: this has all been on prepaid, so if you're on postpaid you ought to expect even better service

Ah - I had assumed that since you had to get the SIM & starter kit online when starting service that the retail stores wouldn't be able to help at all. I'll swing by the T-Mobile corporate owned store tomorrow and see if they'll give me a new SIM.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

ilkhan posted:

cross posting from t-mobile thread.

Confirming this.
Nexus 5, up to date, nerd plan. Same setup that got a paywall prompt a month ago works fine now.

Thirding this, but granted my wife's phone is rooted & running a custom 4.4 ROM.

I've noticed there's a "mobile hotspot" category in the T-Mobile app with a 100 MB cap, but it doesn't reflect actual use of your mobile hotspot. I've read reports of it being wildly off - either displaying a vast majority of normal data usage as tethered, or people using a sizeable chunk of their data for tethering only seeing a few MB counted against the hotspot "cap."

IuniusBrutus posted:

I've never had a port take more than a few hours before.

It took my wife's port from Verizon to T-Mobile a couple of days to go through.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

koahi posted:

Make sure you call their number transfer specialist line, and not their general customer service line.

Geoj posted:

If anyone else needs it, the number the customer support representative on 611 gave me for number porting was 1-877-789-3106

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

d[-.-]b" post="431362461 posted:

Moto G LTE?

Anyone have a trip report on these? My wife's GS4 is having SIM card disconnect issues that have persisted after changing out the SIM/SD tray and we're starting to look for affordable replacement options.

Her concern is the camera will be lovely at 5 MP vs the 13 on the GS4.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Allaniis posted:

The camera is not great, if it's anything similar to the regular Moto G's camera.

That's what I figured. Crisis averted though, a friend's wife upgraded to a GS5 and gave me her old GS4. Hopefully it won't have the same problem...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Rastor posted:

* A new brand, Harbor Mobile. T-Mobile network, all plans also include hotspot.

Anyone have experience on a T-Mobile MVNO? Their $40/month for unlimited talk/text & 3 GB plan sounds appealing considering its about $5 more than I'm paying for the dork plan + extra minutes directly with T-Mobile now.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Looks like T-Mobile modified their prepaid plans -

Also can't tell if they've axed the dork plan or if its just not available on the list because I already have it. It used to be it showed the plan you were already on with "current plan" noted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

^
It looked like this as recently as March of this year:

• Locked thread