Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I posted this in the plans thread but this is the place to ask. From reading the OP I think my best bet will be Straight Talk AT&T but here's the post I made anyway, if you guys could weight in and hold my insecure hand while I make this life changing decision that would be much appreciated.

I'll be traveling to the US next week for three weeks, and I was thinking of getting a pre-paid sim to put in my eurotrash GSM phone.

Current plan: None (well an EU one)
Budget: Depends, for the sim itself $20 seems reasonable? $50 of data for the whole package of data and sim for the three weeks, is that reasonable?

Current phone: HTC One X, EU/Intl. version. Has quad-band GSM and Tri-Band UMTS, but doesn't support 1700MHz UMTS AFAIK. (So I'm stuck with EDGE? Can anyone confirm this?)

Needs:
-Has to be GSM, so that restricts me to AT&T and T-Mobile correct?
-Has to be a micro-SIM
-No plan, no contracts, no ID. Has to be completely free of any commitments.

What I want to use it for: Mostly I want to be able to use some data to Google stuff on the road, read emails and to Whatsapp my family at home. (And possibly Skype, but I think I'll do that on Wifi)

I'll be traveling in the southwest region, so CA, AZ, UT and NV.

I found Straight Talk online, they sell SIMs at Walmart, is this a good option?

If it's cheaper to get a CDMA prepaid phone that supports rudimentary android stuff like Whatsapp that's fine too, but I'd like to use my own phone if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SB35 posted:

Your only problem is going to be that StraightTalk doesn't sell SIMs at Walmart. They only sell them online RIGHT HERE. So I guess order one and have it shipped to a place you know you can pick it up at, and you're good to go.

Well poop, I'm gonna be on the move a lot, so that won't work. Thanks anyway.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I might skip it, I've been able to manage with free WiFi so far. Thanks for the info anyway. :)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nihiliste posted:

I ordered online last Saturday. Man, don't tell me I'm going to have to cut my SIM down, I've never had to do that before...

Eh, it's not too bad.

• Locked thread