Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

gariig posted:

This might be a really dumb question but do you have to pay any taxes or fees with these plans?

On Virgin Mobile I have to pay my state's sales tax (10%, screw you Washington) on top of the listed price but that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

taiyoko posted:

Does this mean that they won't allow custom firmware anymore? Or is this saying that their VM-specific apps and such aren't allowed to be distributed?

The update is here for anyone who wants to read it for themselves. Also looks like they're making tethering against their terms of service, as well as rooting.

They *might* go after VM-based ROMs, but completely custom ones, like CM variants should be fine I think. Well, they're rooted, so they'd be against that part but yeah. Also, who knows if they'll actually enforce any of this stuff, they could just be putting it in to go after big abusers.

Good thing I'm planning to go to TMo soon, just in case!

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm wondering how the plans offering "unlimited" data (like the StraightTalk plans) get away with advertising it as such when according to this thread and all the info out there, that's not the case. People saying they've gotten warnings from downloading as little as two gigs, and getting cut off entirely for not much more than that. Obviously it's not any kind of 'breach of contract', like if Sprint cut you off suddenly for downloading 5 gigs, but surely it has to be some kind of false advertising?

"Unlimited" means that your accesss to it is unlimited - i.e. you can use it any time you want - not that you get an unlimited amount of it :downs:

I'm not kidding, it's seriously that retarded.

Edit: Or it's unlimited "within reasonable use" which is comepletely up to the cell phone company to define.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Rastor posted:

Rumors about the iPhone coming to Boost Mobile / Virgin Mobile USA have been bubbling for the last week. Sounds like ETA is sometime between Cricket Wireless getting it on June 22 and September.

Hmm, I was going to get a GNex and switch to TMo soon, but I was wishing there was some way to get an iPhone. Is an iPhone 4s worth $100 more and $5 more per month? Hmmm....

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Pricing on the iphone 4 on VM revealed:

Hahahaha an extra $250 on top of the GNex? No thank you, I'll be switching to TMo as soon as I get the first paycheck from my new job.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

Are the delays and non-deliveries of texts as bad as people make it out to be?

On Virgin Mobile, I get a delay of a couple hours every so once a week, give or take, it's really annoying. Boost might be better than VM though.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

OliverObtuse posted:

The only thing I will really be doing outside of wifi is using Spotify sometimes. What do you suggest that will have HSPA+ speeds?

Galaxy Nexus, do not buy any other Android phone.

Edit: The "same plan" he's referring to is one of their Value plans, which are non-contract plans just like SIMple.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 28, 2012

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

OliverObtuse posted:

Ok so my number has finally ported all the way over to Google Voice. So here is my question: I know when someone texts my GV number it goes to my phone and I can reply to it. But can I initiate a text from my Droid X that will send from my GV number instead of my PagePlus number without using the Google Voice app? Does this question make sense?

Use the Google Voice app to send the first text, then when you get a reply add that number to your contacts and use a standard texting app. Unfortunately I don't think there's another way to do it.

Rastor posted:

Why not just use the Google Voice app as your texting app?

Because the GV app sucks really hard compared to other texting apps. No character count, no canned replies, etc.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

LiquidRain posted:

You have to get the cheapest phone from Virgin and then modify the IMEI of your Evo 3D to your crap phone's IMEI. That's how folks bring in their own phones to Ting.

Don't buy straight from Virgin, buy a used Samsung Intercept. It's literally garbage so they're dirt cheap but they have good IMEIs which is all that matters in this case.

Also you have to activate a phone on VMo & get some account info off it to tranfer onto your new one, which you can only do on an Android afaik.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mister Fister posted:

Wait, you can change the IMEI on your phone? So you could get a galaxy nexus and change the IMEI to a VM IMEI and use it on VM??

In theory, although you'd have to use as Verizon or Sprint one since the radio still has to be compatible. Also, IMEI swapping is something that phone makers try pretty hard to keep you from doing, and you'd better make sure you either zero out the IMEI on the donor phone or never let it turn on it's radio ever because bad things happen when two phones with the same IMEI try to connect to the cell network at the same time and it's really obvious to the network operator so if that happens you'll get kicked off.

And like I said, you also need some info associated with your account to use data on VM, which is like 20 extra hoops to jump through and involves rooting both phones and using a bunch of utilities that you can only get from extra sketchy download sites. Oh, and pray your drivers work the first time or else that's several more hours of loving around. It's not really worth it, if you really want a GNex get a GSM one and go to TMo.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Selenite posted:

I have a hilariously stupid question. So the a couple of iPhone models are available on Virgin Mobile. Does anyone wonder if the new iPhone will be eventually available with them too (admittedly only with low gig and at full price)?

Probably eventually. Given that they haven't actually announced the new iPhone yet though, it's anyone's guess. The i4s being on Virgin is probably Sprint trying to get rid of their stock of them before the new one comes out, though, just at a guess.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
I watched an episode of Dr. Who on Netflix (~40 min of relatively high quality video) over the cell network because my bus was stuck, that used about 500 MB, so if you plan on doing that a bunch you'll go over 5GB, but otherwise it's pretty hard.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 14, 2012

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

whatever7 posted:

Lol, dont know why you want to pat Apple on the back in this case. You unlock an Att iPhone, it runs on slow rear end 2g speed on Tmobile. You can't use a a verizpn or Sprint iPhone on neither Att nor Tmobile. So what has Apple achieved with unified hardware? Nothing!

Btw Apple still has to make a special version of iPhone for China Mobile, the largest carrier inthe wprld anyway. The unified hardware thing is a gimmick.

Unified hardware is a pretty cool thing for Apple to do. It would be really nice to be able to take your phone to any of the carriers in the US (even just 3 of the big 4), but that hasn't been possible on most phones up until recently, hardware-wise. Apple has no control over the carriers being mind-numbingly awful and making GBS threads all over everything like they always do. Hell, they had a hard enough time just getting carriers to allow direct software updates.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

rear end Catchcum posted:

My iPhone is an AT&T iPhone but I had it unlocked by AT&T so if I'm ordering from StraightTalk do I need an Unlocked GSM SimCard or do I need an AT&T Compatible Phone SimCard? Sorry! Last stupid question.

They should be the same thing, but get the AT&T one just to make sure you don't get a TMobile one.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

I've been with Sprint forever so I'm a bit unfamiliar with how SIMs work. I have a phone that had a line on a family plan, but they dropped that line so now that phone no longer has service. It has a SIM card still in it. Can I use this sim card and sign up for one of T-mobile's prepaid plans? I think I won't be about to get on the $30/mo plan because its not a new activation.

By "new activation" they mean that a current customer can't just change their plan to that one while keeping their phone number. You do need a special activation code that comes with the prepaid SIMs, but TMo might give you one if you call them up. They had to do that for a bunch of prepaid SIMs that accidentally got sent out with bunk activation codes I guess, so there is a system in place for it.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

MrMoose posted:

Phone activated on T-Mobile for the lofty sum of $28.70 from Callingmart. 3 bars of signal at my apartment and a data connection that bounces between HSPA and 3G. But faster 3G than verizon.

I think this might be normal - my GNex will display 3G most of the time, and only show "H" when I'm actually using the data connection. Hopefully somebody else can confirm...

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I suppose, but for that you might as well drop $25-30 for Bad ESN Optimus or OG Droid phones on eBay. Having a $30 device that you can use as camcorder, wifi security webcam, standalone GPS (preload cached Google Maps), and a poor man's iPod Touch, that's a lot more utility for the money than trying to rough that stuff with a dumbphone.

But you also can't toss your SIM into a bad ESN CDMA phone & still get calls & texts if you accidentally drop your shiny GNex into a pool or something.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

What is the current best ROM for an Optimus V? I've had mine for about a year and it's starting to bug out; hoping a flash will help.

There's an ICS port that ran really smoothly on my OpV when I still used it. It's called Quattrimus, although a few things are broken it ran smoothly for what I needed it to do (calls, texts, a few fairly basic apps & web browsing).

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Tommy Wiseau posted:

I've run out of minutes on my the T-Mobile $30/mo. 100min/unlimited/unlimited plan. Is there a way to add more minutes without paying the full 30 a week before the end of the billing cycle?

Just put more money in your account and it'll charge $0.10/minute from that balance.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

chunkey posted:

I have no idea where to post this but in case anyone is interested: I used the Virgin Mobile Overdrive Pro 4G broadband thing to good results. As far as I can tell, the 4G is unthrottled at the moment, but I think they do throttle all non-web traffic (I base this on the fact that downloading some stuff from the internet was faster than my DSL at home, but my ping in counter strike was poo poo). If I didn't play online games on a regular basis I would continue using this instead of real internet.

Your ping was poo poo because while cell networks might be getting to good throughput speeds, latency is still pretty crap. So it might be a limit of the tech rather than throttling, since data speed doesn't have much effect on latency.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I keep forgetting, does that mean in a few months I can maybe have 4G from the T-mo $30 plan work on an unlocked, plain AT&T band phone? If I can use that Xiaomi Mi2 at full speeds I'd cream my pants.

Or is it 3G only, or is it LTE? T-Mo is like the best thing that ever happened to me but drat if it isn't hard to plan around their antics.

HSPA is T-Mobile's "4G" and ATT's "3G". Because "#G" is basically a meaningless term.

But yes, you will get HSPA speeds on T-Mobile with an phone that only uses ATT bands IF you're in an area where they've completed their rollout of 1900MHz HSPA, which like 2 cities in California or something last I heard.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lrigwoc posted:

So with T-Mobile moving to 1900 on 3g, I take it I would be getting the HSPA+ speeds (fake 4g) on an unlocked iPhone 4s. Thus, I could do the prepaid 100 minute/$30 per month plan. Or am I missing something?

If you are in one of the few areas that they have rolled out 1900MHz HSPA+, yes, that should be how it works. You'll have to either get a MicroSIM or clip your standard SIM, but that's not too hard.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

I'm going to be spending two weeks in Florida soon. I'd like to walk into a shop in Florida and get a sim card for my iphone 4s that will give me as much data as possible. This is so I can use skype and whatnot. My iPhone is a UK one and not locked to a carrier. I don't want any sort of contract obviously. The ability to do tethering would be a bonus but not essential.

So...what do I want and which network should I go with?

Not really bothered about cost just ease of acquisition, coverage in that part of the world and how easy it is to activate and prepay just for a month's worth of service. (I'm saying a month because I expect that's the minimum unit of time available).

The only US carrier that you'll get 3G on using a UK iPhone is AT&T. No idea about coverage. I think you can just walk into an AT&T store & buy a prepaid SIM but I don't know what their data rates are like.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

GrooveIP does free calls over WiFi, using Google Voice, paid version does data calls. Talkatone does both free.

Both apps seem about the same, but if you only need WiFi calls you could compare them for free.

If you want to get technical, supposedly integrating the phone with a SIP server gets you less call lag versus using apps.

Skype will also do calls over wifi or HSPA for $3/mo and requires effectively no effort to set up.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

GrooveIP and Talkatone are both "Hey, can I use your Google Voice account? OK", and that's usually all the setup you need. Faster than giving Skype your credit card at least. Unless Skype is promising better call quality/stability I don't think the fee is justified.

Huh, must have been a while since I tried GrooveIP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

IuniusBrutus posted:

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not...but the pre-paid services DO allow me to transfer my number to them, correct?

Yes, but you will have to jump through hoops with most of them. Expect to call their customer service at least once, possibly more.

• Locked thread