Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

oxsnard posted:

Was gonna do the T-Mobile monthly 4g but ended up on my inlaws family plan. I have an extra new T-Mobile sim card that is free to the first goon who quotes this (and will actually use it)

Thank ya

pryorwins at gmail dot com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What's the cheapest unlimited everything T-Mobile plan and cheapest unlimited everything straight talk plan?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
What is the cheapest tmobile unlimited everything plan?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I am on Virgin Mobile. I will probably be getting an iPhone 4 or 4s soon and want to use it on StaightTalk. Will I be able to port my number over OK?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I have an iPhone 4S unlocked by AT&T. What do I need to get from Straight Talk to use their service?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
My iPhone is an AT&T iPhone but I had it unlocked by AT&T so if I'm ordering from StraightTalk do I need an Unlocked GSM SimCard or do I need an AT&T Compatible Phone SimCard? Sorry! Last stupid question.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
How does the porting process work on Straight Talk anyway.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
You just get two individual $45 plans, which is better in case you two ever separate anyway.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
picked up a mint at&t unlocked (by at&t) iPhone 4s 16g on here for $300 shipped. Got my straight talk sim today and just waiting for the port to go through. painless so far.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
In case anyone was curious, the process of switching to Straight Talk was incredibly easy. I was using an unlocked AT&T iPhone 4S.

1) Order a straight talk sim kit + plan card ($15 for Sim $45 for monthly unlimited everything plan)

2) Call up straight talk to activate sim once it arrives. Tell them you want to port your number. Give them current phone account info such as number, account number, pass code, etc.

3) Stick sim in iphone. Your current phone will still work, until the port is complete, which, for me, took 2 hours. Then my iPhone was working and your old phone is dead and your plan is auto-canceled with that provider.

4) Data is not yet working on your iPhone. You connect to wifi, go to a website, click create APN, pick USA, pick Straight Talk, hit proceed, creates a data profile and then you have data.

5) Last thing is to get MMS working. You need to download a free program called ibackup, back up your iPhone, then it lets you change two pieces of code, basically a cut and paste job, hit save, restore phone, and you're done.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

DrBouvenstein posted:

Has anyone else on StraightTalk had problems getting SpeedTest to work right? One of the reasons I thought my StaightTalk plan was having problems was because I couldn't get good results from SpeedTest. It would get an ok ping, then sort of time out and either quit saying the network had problems, or get one tiny bit of download at either 7 or 8 kbps (always 7 or 8) in the last second of the download.

The upload would then frequently be good, around 1-1.5 Mbps. When I tried someone's AT&T SIM card, SpeedTest works fine, and it works fine on wifi.

Only about once or twice have I ever had SpeedTest connect properly while on StraightTalk.

While reading the wiki last night (Linked in the OP), under the getting data via non-jailbreak, it mentions if you set your APN setting to Straight Talk, it can gently caress with Speedtest because it uses proxies. Check the wiki in the OP.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I might be totally wrong, but at least from what I've read on that wiki (i know it's for iPhone but I'm sure there are similar things for the droid) you're not totally removing the proxy script line you're replacing it with an other.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

There isn't just the mystery 2gb limit. There is also the mystery hundreds of mbs per day limit. Some say if you're on pace to go well over 2gb for several days in a row, you will get throttled. A call to Straight Talk usually clears this up. Some also say removing the proxy from the APN will avoid being throttled.

How do you remove the proxy? AT&T Straight Talk user here on (unlocked) iPhone 5.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I have straight talk on my AT&T (apple unlocked) iphone. Everything has been great, except it seems certain people I can't MMS. Mainly, my mother & sister who are on Verizon. Any reason for this? To be clear, I can MMS most people, and I doubt its SOLEY limited to my mother and sister, but is there is any reason MMS wouldn't be going through to certain people?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

savesthedayrocks posted:

Jailbreak does not equal unlocked

Not sure if you're talking to me, but I already followed that procedure on the iPhone 5 and got MMS working, but it doesn't let me send MMS to everyone.

Is there a reason I can only send MMS to people on AT&T or something?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there any problem with taking out the proxy in the APN settings for Straight Talk? I kept getting proxy timeouts and generally terrible data connection, and now that I removed it everything seems fine.

How do you do this, by the way?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Trying to help my mother out.

Right now she pays an absurd amount a month for her and my sister on Verizon. They both have iPhones. She wants to move to a prepaid service with unlimited everything. Considering she has a Verizon iPhone, what is the best/cheapest provider to switch to? I have StraightTalk and love it but I don't think she could take her iPhone to them. Is she better off selling her iPhone and buying an unlocked one?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

If you want unlimited everything it's going to be expensive where you go. What is their actual usage (minutes, texts, amount of data used). What carrier seem to work at least OK in the area they need service? Those two things change what we suggest from spending $10 per year to $200 per month.

Are they still under contract, and what iPhone version 4/4s/5 are we talking?

I'm on Straight Talk and pay $45 for "unlimited" everything and was hoping she could get something like that.

From what I've used, sprint, ATT, Verizon, etc all work in the area (NH/MA).

They are not under contract and they have an iPhone 4.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I bought a year of AT&T ST time about 3 months ago, so I have a while (and hopefully nothing breaks bad before then).

But, I am looking towards the future and see that T-Mobile has a plan for $70 that is truly unlimited. That is cool, and I'm thinking of getting that and getting rid of my home internet and just tethering that. Would that work?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

Not sure about the unlocking thing, but you will have to get an AT&T ST SIM off of eBay as they're no longer selling them for the foreseeable future.

However, those who still use AT&T on ST still have service...for now. There's talk of ST no longer supporting it. Even if that happens, you can jump to another MVNO carrier with AT&T (that AT&T isn't currently going after).

If that happens I wonder what will happen for those of us that have paid for a year's worth of service in advance :(

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Is this $70 4G T-Mo deal likely to be around for a while or is it a special offer I should jump on?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Mr.Radar posted:

It's one of their standard plans, I'd bet on the $30 4G plan going away sooner. However, if you're thinking of the $70 prepaid plan then you would probably be better off with their $70 no-contract postpaid plan instead. The main advantages are US-based customer support (vs. India-outsourced), limited AT&T data roaming (vs. none with prepaid), and 500 megs of tethering (vs. none with prepaid). If you're buying a new phone you can also get 0% financing for up to 24 months through T-Mobile when you sign up for their postpaid plans.

I have to wait until my year card with ST runs out, but thanks!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

ThermoPhysical posted:

You even will receive AT&T postpaid features such as Visual Voicemail (which I've tried and it works). You also won't get LTE but that's to be expected as well.

How do I get this to work? I have AT&T Straight Talk on an iPhone 5 and Visual Voicemail is not there. The tab for voicemail just calls my voicemail and I have to enter a password. Any info you can provide would be much appreciated.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I wish I had not bought a year card for my ST plan. I want to pull out and jump to TMO but I don't want to lose any money :-/

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
can anyone post or PM a link example of the cheap unlock services ebay has for iPhone 5s? I am getting an AT&T iPhone 5 and want to use it on TMO.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Is T-Mobile $70 Unlimited 4G TRULY unlimited? Like no matter how much I do on my phone, they won't throttle me down or cut me off?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Or you can tether unlimited if you change your user agent to be Android and deal with mobile pages.

Details, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I'm switching over to TMO from ST Friday. Can someone post the deals/discount codes for TMO? I know there was a PTA thing. I'm looking for things like that.

Also, is JUMP worth it if I just want to upgrade my iPhone every year? I know it includes insurance which would prolly let me forego Applecare.

• Locked thread