Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Go for it. With regards to texting, yes, you'll need data to text through GV. Though in a pinch, you'll still have unlimited texting with the native number T-Mobile gives you. In practice people tend to reply back to whatever number they're texted from, provided you're identifying yourself. GV will hold a text until it has a split second of data to send it out and receive an acknowledgement back, likewise your T-Mo texts work the same but with more widely available voice signal.

Also what Hotsauce said; there might be an app that can latch you on to any open Wifi point, so using something like that as you're driving with no voice signal could nab a hotspot for the second it takes to send a text.

Has GV implemented MMS yet? Or is it still SMS only?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I'm in a pretty similar boat to Mr Moose. I haven't yet ported my number because I wanted to make sure I got good enough service and I think I'm content. I only get 1-2 bars in the house but I have wifi there. In the house I only get like 1-1.2Mb down/0.5Mb up, if I step outside it jumps to 4.5Mb/1.5Mb. Which is still better than my old carrier.

I've found the delay on GrooveIP to be annoying, I'm considering trying Skype - anyone found Skype to work well (or better than Gvoice) over Wifi?

• Locked thread