Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

Naffer posted:

This might not be helpful, but I've had pretty great luck with outgoing Skype calls on my 3G phone. You can set skype to show your cell phone's callerID to people receiving your call and get unlimited skype to phone calls for about ~$3 per month. It's decidedly less free than grooveIP though. Note: I have a windows phone so I can't directly compare Skype's quality to GrooveIP.

I downloaded skype and put some credit on to my account to test it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to show my cell number as the outgoing number. I looked through every option in the settings menu a bunch of times and I am not seeing it all, of course I have the Android version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I have the same problem with the prepaid T-mobile plans, when you try to set that step up it always fails.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I have never got that message, except for the one time I actually did use all of my minutes. However I keep a balance of $25 on my account so it just switches over to .10 cents a minute if I ever go over again.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

It still seems a little crazy to me that the iPhone will roll out on all of these pre-paid carriers and some tiny regional carriers before it gets to T-Mobile.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Well now that I think of it, I suppose they could put in different radios for T-Mobiles network, but maybe they haven't because it runs at a faster speed and they are worried about battery life, or don't want it to appear that there is only one model of the iPhone that is "4g".

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

MrBond posted:

Plus, Sprint coverage always seems to be a wildcard. They're used to verizon-level coverage.

When I had VM everywhere I went had terrible coverage. I would drop calls, the data speeds were god awful, and a lot of times texts wouldn't come through until hours later, prompting a lot of "DIDN'T YOU GET MY TEXT!?!?!?" questions.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Xeom posted:

Would it be possible for me to get a Nokia 800 and put it on straight talk with att?

It does not seem to work very well with t-mobiles apparently it only gets g2 on t-mobiles waves or whatever.

Those are sweet phones and if it supported the 1700 MHz band I would have considered getting it over my amaze. Its a shame that T-Mobile uses these funky frequencies because I love their service and prices.

Also you should be able to use it on Straight Talk from what I understand, you can change the APN settings somewhere, though I couldn't tell you where exactly.

Priz posted:

At home I can get 3-4 bars and signal/data seem solid. When I travel, such as the local convention center two weeks ago or when I went to SoCal last August, I'm usually 0-2 bars at most places on my Triumph and data seems like it takes a while to kickstart.

I couldn't even get that, I would be perpetually at 0-2 bars everywhere. My town isn't the biggest around but even when I would go to the bay area and it would crazy bad. My sister lives in Seattle and had it for a while and she had the same problems with terrible signal.

Priz posted:

Sometimes when I'm at zero bars the auto-update of an app will kick in, but it's getting no data so it'll struggle to connect (and I can't access the app store to cancel the download as I have no data) and this will make the back of the Triumph run hot and then the battery will shoot from ~80% to 15% in less than an hour.

I had this happen a lot too, usually I would either have to throw it in airplane mode or reboot the phone. That was my biggest problem with it, I would always have to be worrying if the service was actually working or not and if it was interfering with someone getting a hold of me.

Priz posted:

I'm really tempted to go back to T-Mobile as I never had bizarre issues like this ever... it wasn't the greatest, but it was overall pretty solid, especially compared to Virgin. I love the $25/month rate and wished there was something/ANYTHING even close to it but the struggles just to make the phone solid and work normally... and then the lack of signal/use of the phone... urgh... so annoying.

The signal isn't always the strongest, but I have never had a problem with it dropping calls or texts not going/coming through. If I am in a spotty area the data speeds can get slower, but its still faster than Virgin Mobile was. Plus for an extra $5 bucks a month if you get the Walmart $30 a month plan you get way faster data speeds, although the low minutes may be an issue for some.

Porkchop Express fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Naffer posted:

I'd bet a lot that Sprint won't allow their own postpaid CDMA iphones to be used on VM. You'll probably have to buy this particular version to use it on VM.

I thought that VM would only allow phones on their network with approved IMEI's? So wouldn't that mean that you can't use a Sprint iPhone on VM and you can't use a VM phone on Sprint.

• Locked thread