Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I (regrettably?) bought the Motorola Triumph back in august and it's been fine ever since, but i guess it's going to inevitably be be brought up by someone. I'm laying it out so someone doesn't have to watch a 15 minute long review made by someone in denial - it's probably not going to make you want to kill yourself but i don't suggest purchasing it.

One problem - it's bad at doing mobile data and therefore bad at battery life. 3g speeds are ok but even blazing 3g speeds aren't fast enough to do anything with but the real problem is battery life, which lasts a day if you're willing to spend minimal effort managing it and lasts like 10 hours if you are retarded but for android that's honestly just middlin' tier.

Screen is crisp and good, Game/movie battery life is good, camera is good but won't replace a real one(good at macro but probably not compared to other phone cameras), processor/gpu is powerful enough to do pretty much everything you will ever need (yes that includes n64 emulation), and even though its only got 512mb of ram its never a problem (i'm not being apologetic). Also the speakers are really good for phone speakers and the haptic feedback is less tinny than other phones

The real question - If you're gonna spend $300 on a phone why not buy a real phone without problems on a real carrier? If for some reason (NOT BEING CHEAP) you can't buy a smartphone on contract but you absolutely must have the best android experience you can get for the cheapest price then i guess this phone does that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mister Fister posted:

Me too, i guess i was lucky in that i've had no problems with mine...

I haven't checked out the ROM's yet though, is there a good stable ICS ROM that has everything working yet?

The cm7 rom greatly improves the phone and I'm really not in support of blindly flashing custom firmwares. It's got some minor problems (not being apologetic here either) but it makes the phone more stable and perform a lot better.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I got a nexus s to use on tmobile and i'm pretty happy that i won't have to gently caress with lovely roms and workaround bullshit to just have a working phone. And ICS owns pretty hard.

I dont know why i didn't do it in the first place and instead had to deal with a lovely chinese crapphone for 10 months

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

spengler posted:

I'm thinking hard about an HTC Evo V on virgin. What's the best phone I can get for $300 for t-mobile prepaid?

Let me put it to you this way, I could have bought an evo 3d for $100 and I bought a Nexus S for $230 instead.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The $30 monthly 4g t-mobile plan has 5 gigs of data at 4g speeds, Does that mean that they're going to throttle you down to some awful, vaguely 3g speed after 5 gigs of data or do they just cut off your 4g access? The Nexus S doesn't even have a 4g radio in it, so if it's the later I'm not concerned and I get to use even more sweet, sweet faster-than-dsl 3g internet :smith:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

kalibar posted:

Will Ting get full access to Sprint's LTE network, or is that still up in the air?

I'm hesitant about Sprint MVNOs after my buddy's experience with Virgin. He went from an Optimus S on postpaid Sprint service to an Optimus V on Virgin (who uses Sprint's network) just to save money, and he immediately noticed reduced data speeds along with intermittent "outages" that proper Sprint customers weren't experiencing. Does your guys' traffic have any kind of lower priority than Sprint's? I'm not referring to roaming, just native coverage -- like, if you carried two Optimus S phones around with you with one attached to an $80/month Sprint plan and one attached to Ting, could you expect an identical level of service?

Virgin has their own datacenters (?) or at least infrastructure that most MVNO's don't have.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
There's been multiple text and data outages for only virgin, though.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

the kawaiiest posted:

What is so bad about Android 2.x anyway? I mean, I understand that eventually some apps won't be compatible with it anymore and that these phones won't get OS updates, but is there something else in addition to these things? Are they going to eventually just not be compatible with anything anymore or something like that?

I have a 2.x phone and I'm perfectly happy with it, it would be nice to get ICS or JB on it but I really don't think it's that important as long as the phone does what I need it to do... am I missing something?

The difference in usability, stability, and smoothness on ICS makes older versions of android just terrible in comparison. It's like the difference between XP and windows 7 - XP does everything 7 does and it's not like XP is any less usable, but you really should go out of your way to get 7/ics. I was of the impression that gingerbread was fine on my triumph and didn't really care about ICS but after using Nexus S ICS for a month gingerbread is just terrible outdated poo poo. It's not just a numerical upgrade.

And installing unstable and questionable cm9 builds on your phone is technically running ICS, but with a fraction of the stability and smoothness that well supported ICS has. People swear by their hacked cm9 installs and for a lot of phones it's still the best rom avaliable but you shouldn't spend $200 on a phone that only has unofficial cobbled-together ICS builds and runs an outdated OS stock. Especially when the nexus S sells for close to that and it's probably still the best smartphone deal next to the gNex

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I used to worry about data but last month i used 1.5 gigs - 900mb was about 4 days of tethering because my internet died and 200mb was when I accidentally downloaded shadowgun over 3g

I don't even bother turning wifi on anymore.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tremors posted:

Being the lazy person that I am, I let my motorola triumph sit on my desk for a couple months before deciding to list it on ebay today. The thing is, when I tried to charge it up to wipe/reset it, it won't turn on. The charge light doesn't even come on. I've tried different chargers too. I'm wondering if it is the battery. Should the phone turn on when plugged into a charger with no battery installed? If so, then it's something wrong with the phone and I'm sol. Any thoughts from triumph owning goons?

I have mine sitting on my desk because the three times i've tried to pawn it off on ebay, the buyers dodged and responded weeks later with "sry no interested"

But yeah I just tried it out and if you take the battery out the phone won't turn on.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

The charger port on the triumph sucks dick and is the only reason i don't like this phone (besides the gps hardware)

Also the piss poor signal, battery life, build quality, data speeds, and android version.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Roulette posted:

After doing some research the past few days I think I'm leaning towards TMob prepaid for the $30 100/U/U plan. Currently I'm with Sprint and my contract is set to expire 11/26 (I was told if I cancel 10/26 I won't have an ETF) and I'm currently paying $80 a month for service. I was told that if I cancel now it would be $50 for my ETF so in my head it makes sense to just do that since it's either pay $160 for Sept/Oct or just pay $50 to cancel. Maybe I'm missing something?

I'm not sure what phone I want to use yet since I am another one of those weird "tiny hands" people and as much as I love the Nexus that thing is huge. Are there any comparable but smaller phones that will work on TMob? The main features I want are front and rear cameras, WiFi, Exchange mail access, and good navigation. I stream Pandora during my commute but I never watch videos or anything on my phone so a big fancy screen doesn't matter to me.

I ordered a SIM card from the T-Mobile site so once I pick my phone and get it will the situation basically be:

1. Insert SIM into new phone
2. Activate on the TMob website and request they port my number
3. Have a $50 a month cheaper phone bill and still have same phone number?

I keep reading all this stuff about Google Voice porting to keep your number but is it necessary? I'd rather just pay my ETF and get my phone number on a new prepaid phone. Also, once I get my phone number ported will it then be locked to that SIM card? I've never had a phone with a SIM so I have no idea how they work...Basically I'm wondering if I can just get a lovely phone now and port and then just pop this SIM into whatever phone I want to upgrade to later?

You can pop a sim card into any phone as long as it's unlocked and it will work, yeah (3g and 4g only work on compatible phones though). And I bothered with google voice but to be perfectly honest I would rather have saved the $20 because the voicemail doesn't work on tmobile, if it doesn't seem like something you would want to do then don't bother.

The nexus S is pretty much the recommended "not-gnex" phone and while I have it and quite like it, it's still almost two years old. It's small and one of few phones you should spend your money on but, well, it came out in late 2010. It speaks for itself.

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 16, 2012

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Even though the Nexus S is 3g, it's the same speed as my home DSL so I don't even notice a difference

4 mbit down :negative:

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I've played games of league of legends over Tmobile 3g and not had any problems. TF2 was a bit iffy because my ping was around 120 though.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yesterday night two dudes had a table set up in front of the student center on campus and they were pitching a cell phone service called Solavei and nets you unlimited everything for $50 a month and lets you refer people for bonus cash (So basically it's a ponzi scheme)

The dudes were poorly informed and really poorly chosen college students and did a piss poor job of not sounding incredibly sketchy, the actual website is less back-of-an-alley sketchy and more 80s-used-car-salesman sketchy

http://www.solavei.com/

I'm not dumb enough to fall for it but it's weird because $50 a month for service isn't underhanded or that bad of a price (even assuming really low hidden caps) and unlike most pyramid scams the product is something people would actually want

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It's going to fail pretty spectacularly because nobody has tmobile compatible phones and few people are going to jump ship to a carrier because of contractual obligations.

Unless they expect idiots to buy a plan to not use and just to refer people (likely option tbh)

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Hughmoris posted:

For those using T-Mobile's prepaid service, what phone are you currently using? I bought the Samsung S2 prepaid phone for $299 at Walmart, and flashed it to CM9 but not sure if I'm going to keep it. I know the GNexus for $350 is a popular choice, but from what I'm reading its not that different from the S2 and has issues all its own.

Maybe I'm just getting bored with Android. Anyone using a Windows phone with their prepaid?

How is android a thing you get bored with?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

spengler posted:

Goodbuy, VM Triumph, hello T-Mo Nexus.

Is it worth RMAing and then trying to resell my Triumph, or should I just shoot it?

You can't even sell it if you tried

I tried to sell mine for parts and three separate people won the auction on ebay and they just didn't send payment

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Long Francesco posted:

Is there a way to start a new month early on the tmo 30/mo plan without screwing anything up? I've got 6 days left, I'm out of minutes and hit the data cap a couple days ago. Having throttled data feels like I'm back on vm all over again :(

How did you manage to use five gigs in three weeks?

I don't try to limit my data usage and i never use wifi and I've only gone over 2gb when I downloaded a game loft game over 3g

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Radbot posted:

What's wrong with a sidegrade if she barely uses her phone?

If you're gonna spend 100 clams on A Thing you might as well make that thing better than whatever you got two years ago

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ThermoPhysical posted:

You'll be pretty loving happy on HSPA/HSPA+, to be honest. I tried N4/ST out on Saturday at the Kmart on 50th and L, that place is a black hole for signal on Sprint. The Nexus 4 and Straight Talk (AT&T) handled it like a pro. I only saw EDGE once and that was when it was disconnecting from the call I made.

I browsed websites that had no mobile version, websites with a mobile version, the Awful Betamax app, and messed with Google Now on both devices. I ended up using 33.22MB of HSPA+ on the Nexus 4 but 5.96MB on the Nexus S 4G.

Both the Nexus S 4G and Nexus 4 were at full battery (NS4G can only go to 95% but the N4 can do 100%) and the battery for both due to signal was pretty telling. The Nexus S came back home with 50% left after struggling to find and keep a signal while walking around, the Nexus 4 still had 70% left. However, the 4 ran out of battery quicker at home because I then had a bunch of calls

I think that SpeedTest.net's app is bugged on 4.2.x though. It claims I have no data at home or anywhere else but I can prove that wrong just by loading up Chrome or some internet-based app. I blame the fact that their stupid app looks REALLY ugly on the Nexus 4's screen.

A note, the phone doesn't look like it's on HSPA+ unless you're actually using data, then it'll jump to HSPA+15. As far as I'm concerned, HSPA+ = LTE. :colbert: Omaha has never had WiMAX or LTE from Sprint so, to me, this is like LTE and I like it a lot.

I have yet to try midtown Omaha though but I'll probably get around to trying that sometime.

Straight talk uses a proxy (or something) and speedtest doesn't work on ST without getting rid of it

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

1karus posted:

For anyone who is still using a Motorola Triumph, there is news of a partially working camera on CM9. Shouldn't be long before we have a fully working CM9 ROM.

http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/632984-dev-wip-cm9-camera-updated-1-1-2013-9-26am-mst.html

Jesus christ people still use the triumph? I gave up on it like may of last year when i bought a nexus s

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

1karus posted:

Yeah, I still have mine. I never had any of the crazy problems most of the people in this thread did.

I didn't have any crazy problems, the thing just died after an hour of 3g use. And took a couple minutes to lock onto gps. on a good day. Going from the triumph to the S was like "wow this is what a smartphone is actually supposed to be like" because i never had to turn off 3g or go on wifi or watch my battery life on the S.

The triumph is straight up one of the worst android phones ever made

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

ilkhan posted:

You should be able to go into a T-Mo store and request a microSIM. Thats what I did when I got my N4. No cost, but that seems to be variable.

blargle: The 100min/5GB Monthly4G plan includes unlimited texting. You don't need GV for that.

I went and asked for one and gave it to me for free. But while the rep was doing computer bullshit she made small talk and asked what new phone I got. I said i got the nexus 4 and she did the "this person has no idea what they're talking about i'm just gonna let them keep talking" nod and smile. I guess they hadn't gotten the memo that tmobile is getting it on contrct :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Long Francesco posted:

It really depends on what carrier you're on and your budget, but you'd probably be happy with any high end popular phone from the last generation or the current one if you can swing the bucks for it. The sgs2 is still a great phone for most things and there's the nexus phones if you want to sperg out about software. And people seem to be happy with the razr and it's variants if you're looking Verizon.

It's just really not worth saving what's relatively not all that much on a new low end phone when spending a little more can save you from suffering in crap phone hell.

For a low end phone you really can't beat the nexus s

At around $100 you're lucky to get a mediocre phone running gingerbread used let alone a phone that's pretty stable with great battery life that also runs 4.1. It's low end but it's actually usable.

• Locked thread