Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My wife and I decided to cancel our Sprint plan ($200 bucks to get out and it's still worth it) and to use 2 Ipod Touches since Wifi is everywhere these days along with 2 cheap cheap cheap prepaid phones for emergencies.

I was told that either Net10 or Tracfone are the best bets for the prepaid phones/refills so I just wanted to confirm that with this thread before I settled on a carrier.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm still looking for the best phone/plan just for prepaid emergency calls. I just found out that AT&T has a 10c per minute go phone plan without a monthly fee. Anyone have any experience with AT&T? Seems too good to be true for me since I just want to use the phone for the rarest of occasions.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

edit: Looks like T-mobiles plan is similar but it seems better to get a phone where you just pay for the minutes you use instead of buying them all up front.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-as-you-go-plans

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

gariig posted:

That's not how Prepaid works. With both AT&T and T-Mobile you need to have cash in your account to use your phone. Also, both wireless carriers will have the money on your phone "expire" after so many days.

T-Mobile gets suggested because once you put $100 on a phone you become a preferred/VIP/special customer. If you put money on the phone within 365 days (before it expires) the total amount renews even if it's just $10. Unfortunately, I think everyone uses the money expires after a certain amount of time model (checked Tracphone and Net10)

If it's literally a 911 emergency and that it then you can keep any old phone. The FCC requires 911 calls to go through but you won't have a call back number if there are problems if the phone is not active.
EDIT: Grammar

Thanks, I figured there was a catch to the whole thing and yeah Tracfone and Net10 do the same thing. Basically by emergency phone I mean when I have to make a really important call and I don't have time (most likely in the car) to find wifi I can use the prepaid phone.

I remember with tracfone I could just use the phone to add airtime if I needed to, I'm guessing it's the same way with AT&T/T-Mobile or do I have to do everything up front/online? I figure I could probably go months without having to use the emergency phones at all so buying minutes only when I need them might make more sense.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ugh I really hate navigating websites for phone companies. I get the impression T-Mobile wants me to go to one of their stores so they can try and talk me into buying something more expensive instead of allowing me to get the plan/phone I want online. Why can't I just select plan > buy phone > checkout?

I just want to get the $100 pay as you go plan which includes 1000 minutes and 365 days of service. I don't have to go to a T-mobile store to get this do I?

Or do I just need to find a T-mobile phone with sim that I can activate/refill?

edit: Ahhh OK:

https://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/ActivateCodes.aspx

Looks like I have to get the phone/sim first and then activate online.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jan 26, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
As someone that doesn't need data I just went to:
http://www.prepaidwireless.com/products/airtime/refill_details.cfm?type_id=23

and purchased 365 days of service, 2000 minutes for $80 bucks. I don't think I'm going to find anything cheaper than that but it's been a year so who knows.

• Locked thread