Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
So it seems like if I want to get my AT&T number ported over to the T-mobile prepaid $30/month plan, I'll need to call them up? I can't just port it as part of the online activation? That's pants. I was hoping to do the port online, late at night, so the limbo period would be restricted to the times when I'm not getting phone calls anyway. But if I have to call them and that's restricted to business hours, well, blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
So it's definitely possible to port to t-mobile prepaid solely online? Awesome. Don't know where in the thread I got the impression otherwise.

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
Well, here goes nothing. Just signed up for the goon-approved $30 T-Mobile you-can-only-do-this-once plan. I guess it would be a little too much to ask for everything to go perfectly with a phone carrier; when I got to the last page in the activation process I kept getting an error message:

T-Mobile's broke-rear end prepaid activation page posted:

No auto pay calendar date selected
The following field is required:
Auto pay amount

Which would be helpful if there actually WAS an auto-pay option on the page. There isn't, just a thing where you can tell it what you want the first payment to be.

Eventually I tried going to the plain old regular refill page (the one not part of the guided signup process) and was able to put my T-Mobile number in there (even though the port hasn't finished yet) and put in some money. This was in a different browser, so I can't say whether it was the different web page or the different browser that made it work. In any case, I never completed the guided activation process, but since I got four of the five steps done, and the last step was payment, I'm hoping this will be okay. Going to bed now, hopefully everything will have sorted itself out with the number porting by this morning.

Suspense!

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
Is there a way to disable these ridiculous "Free T-Mo Msg" texts I keep getting with their prepaid? They just sent me one telling me that "renewing your Monthly4G plan is easy" from the same drat number that they used to inform me my auto-pay was about to happen two days ago. Why is it not smart enough to know not to bug me when the payment has ALREADY gone through?!

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
So I have an iPhone 4 that was originally locked to AT&T, and then unlocked the official kosher way through iTunes. It's now on the T-Mobile $30 nerd plan. Ever since I switched over to this, I've been seeing weird behavior with my reception. I can be looking at the phone, and it's registering plenty of signal, and then it'll just randomly drop to one bar, or sometimes even go to 'searching' mode. When it goes to one bar, the E and/or 3G icon disappears for a few seconds too. Then, service goes back to normal, usually within ten seconds or so. All this can happen when the phone is completely stationary.

I'm hoping I just got a bad SIM card and my phone itself isn't what's broken. I feel like it's a somewhat reasonable thing to hope for since I never saw anything like this on AT&T. What's the easiest way to get it swapped out? Will a T-Mo retail store be able to take care of it, or will I need to do it online/over the phone since it's prepaid and not 'regular' T-Mo?

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
http://news.walmart.com/news-archive/2013/01/08/walmart-straight-talk-to-offer-the-iphone-on-its-45-no-contract-unlimited-plan

So, presumably this means they'll have sorted things out with apple to give them a carrier profile, and people will no longer need to mess around with weird stuff to get MMS to work. At least, you would hope...

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
So Straight Talk starts directly selling the iPhone...and they put it on Verizon. And they still have no nano-SIM cards available.

This is bananas.

Edit: holy wow, if you get the ST iPhone 5, it's apparently Verizon without LTE service. I feel like anybody who doesn't read the fine print on this is going to be very disappointed.

nougatmachine fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 13, 2013

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
Decided to give Straight Talk a try since I'm usually blowing past the 100 minutes in the T-Mobile Goon Plan. Ordered a SIM and a $45 plan card yesterday. Today, I got my shipment notification email.

The tracking number is for a package that shipped last year and was signed for by "SMACK".

I called customer service, and after a fairly brief hold, got on the phone with a guy who I explained the problem to. After a few minutes of him typing, he confirmed that yes, indeed, they gave me a tracking number for a package that shipped last year. He offered to transfer me to another department who might be able to figure out what's going on. This was nearly twenty minutes ago.

Things haven't gotten off to the most impressive start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nougatmachine
May 19, 2011
Yeah, that's what my eventual answer was on the phone. I guess I just live a sheltered existence with tracking numbers because I have never once seen this happen with any online retailer but there it is.

• Locked thread