Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Afterlith
Jun 22, 2011

Non Omnis Moriar
I can't seem to find a clear answer to this after days of Googling:

I'm switching my aunt over to Net10 (T-Mobile SIM) from T-Mobile because she's tired of paying so much. The caveat is, she wants to tether and Net10's TOS prohibit it.

She's buying a Nexus 4, which puts the usual suggestion of FoxFi/PDANet+ out of the question for masking her when she wirelessly tethers. She could tunnel her traffic but that's too complicated for her. So, my question is: if she sets up her tablet and laptop with an Android user agent and uses something like Open Garden to network all the devices together, is she safe from packet inspection? Does Open Garden provide any added obfuscation over the N4's built in hotspot?

Hotspots like FreedomPop offer too little for too much (she streams both Spotify and Netflix).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afterlith
Jun 22, 2011

Non Omnis Moriar

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="413676315"]
Instead of tethering for Netflix, could she get a SlimPort cable for her N4 and use that to display Netflix directly on her TV/monitor?

She could do that but that still leaves her laptop out in the cold for internet.

Afterlith fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 22, 2013

Afterlith
Jun 22, 2011

Non Omnis Moriar

Stick100 posted:

You want both a phone and something to stream Spotify and Netflix to multiple devices? Why not get a cheap phone plan and get a normal broadband like DSL/Cable then use WIFI? Anything else seems like madness for a non-techie to deal with.

I agree but if she gets a phone plan cheaper than $45 without 3G, she's going to be handicapped when she's out and wants to stream some tunes or navigate. Broadband in Seattle starts at $50 for the first 6 months and gets more expensive from there. God forbid she picks Clear(wire).

That's at least $100 a month versus figuring out a tether solution that saves her $55 a month.

Honestly, I think the best choice is just to get her 2 gigs a month on the side with FreedomPop for $18 a month and have her stream Netflix in SD. Based on my bullshit calculations, that's like 600 minutes of streaming a month.

Afterlith fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 22, 2013

Afterlith
Jun 22, 2011

Non Omnis Moriar
Will someone send me a referral to Cricket?

• Locked thread