Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm gonna be in the US for a month and want to get a prepaid plan to use for that month (I really just need/want mobile Internet). I have a(n unlocked European) GSM iPhone 5. Just saying it's European because I understand the iPhone 5s in America have different radios or whatever? Anyway I'll be splitting time between Las Vegas and Phoenix. The $45 straight talk plan seems perfect for me but I'm not sure which towers I need to go with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ddogflex posted:

100% use AT&T towers with an iPhone. TMobile supports 3G on iPhones in SOME areas, but extremely spotty even in the ones it does.

Ok, looks like that's what I'll do. Can I order nano SIM cards from them or will I need to cut my own?

Fake edit: it seems the two gsm versions of the iPhone only really matter for LTE if I'm reading this right, and it doesn't look like I can get LTE from a prepaid service anyway.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I placed an order with the Straight Talk website and the order page gave me an error about certificates when I submitted my credit card info :psyduck: and the next page was an error page.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just got an email from StraightTalk saying my order was canceled without a specified reason. Half an hour later of calling and getting the wrong department and people who couldn't help me, I finally found someone who told me that my order was canceled because the billing and shipping address (both in the US) were different and that there was nothing he could do about it. His suggestion? Use the same address. Well, gee, no I can't do that. So gently caress StraightTalk I guess.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MondayHotDog posted:

What's the deal with T Mobile's $30 plan? It says on their website that it's online only, but then it says if you want to switch your existing phone number to a prepaid plan you have to visit their store.

Is it possible to pick up/buy a SIM card in a store and then take it home to activate online for the $30 plan? I dropped into a store today to try to pick one up but they told me I can't get a SIM card without also signing up for a plan. I told them fine, sign me up for the $30 plan and they said they've never heard of a $30 plan before cause the lowest one they had was $50.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I see on the T-Mobile website they have this prepaid plan:

quote:

$30 per month - Unlimited web and text with 100 minutes talk

100 minutes talk | Unlimited text | First 5GB at up to 4G speeds
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

This is cheaper than Straight Talk and would be perfect for me for my two week trip to the US but I don't know how to buy it. Do I just go to a store or can I do it online?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Got my Straight Talk (AT&T) SIM Card and put it into my (factory unlocked) iPhone 5 after trimming it down. Connects to 4G and I can make calls just fine. Just noticed that imessage and FaceTime are not activating though. This seems to be a common problem? So I've tried resetting my network settings, turning the phone and iMessages/FT on off, etc. I'm still stuck trying to activate.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SaNChEzZ posted:

Try it with airplane mode on, and wifi on. Dunno why, that's what I read. I've got a 4s that I've been trying to jailbreak/unlock using a netersim, but it just tries to call to the polish activation servers, which sucks.

Trying this right now (after rebooting the phone) and it's still waiting to be activated. Does anyone even here have an AT&T straight talk sim in their iPhone and have iMessages activated?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Weird, I just turned on my MacBook Pro (I'm signed into FaceTime/iMessages on there too) and suddenly it just activated. Got a small popup on my computer that I'm now registered with iMessages/FaceTime with the new number and it works on my iPhone now too.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

sweart gliwere posted:

Went into T-Mobile today to do a SIM swap, from normal to micro for the N5. Booya, turns out the prepaid $30 dork plan is LTE-friendly. I don't think they're capping it, but if they are it's pretty generous. Ran two speed tests out of curiosity and it's reliably >9Mbps down and >5Mbps up at 3/4 bars.

Just confirming, since I haven't seen it posted that their prepaid allows LTE.

Is that $30 "dork plan" this one?

That's a pretty sweet deal since I mostly text but I already have a phone. If I buy their cheapest phone can I just swap that SIM card into my iPhone? (Or wait, if I buy a 5s does that count?)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can I port my ST number over if I do that?

And what happens if I go over 100 minutes, does it just start charging me by the minute?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That seems like a pretty sweet deal then. I already prepaid for next month of my ST service but I'll definitely keep an eye out for that SIM card to drop to $0 again (a few posts up suggests it was $0) and :getin:.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That seems like a lot of work and incredibly confusing for something that could be shut down at any time without notice and my phone lets me block numbers locally so I'll just use my phone like normal.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Awesome! Ordered one.

If I puy in a port request on a Saturday, can I reasonably expect it to be ready by the end of Sunday evening? Does the $30/month plan let me use Visual Voicemail on my iPhone? Straight Talk doesn't do that and I really miss having it. Are they cool with tethering? Does MMS work? Yes MMS is old ancient technology but some of my friends without iPhones still use it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Allaniis posted:

It's currently free, but it's a sale. Usually, they go for $10 online with random $1 sales every other month.

Feel free to stock up, but they limit you to 2 per purchase order and 4 SIMS every two months or something to that effect.

The one I ordered last month has an "activate by" date on it, so I don't think you can stock up.

e: I want to port my ST number over to T-Mobile. What do I put in for my "current account number" and "PIN/password on current account"? I can't find an account number on the ST website and I don't know which password they are asking for.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 8, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SB35 posted:

Search posts by me in here, I posted about it awhile ago but can't remember off hand. Your SIM card number is the account number if I recall.

Went back to page 85 or so and didn't find anything and I think I already passed your posts where you talked about porting over from ST already.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

SB35 posted:

Here's what I was talking about. Sorry I didn't link it before, tough to do on the phone.

Looks like this might be for CDMA phones.

Whereas the last 15 digits on your SIM card might be your account number for those on the BYOP plans.
[/quote]

Thanks! I don't really remember creating a 5 digit PIN though…

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Finally got around to porting my ST number over to T-Mobile this morning. Process required a little bit of work. Thanks for the help SB35.

For the "current account number" you need to log into ST and click on "add nickname" to the SIM card you have, and then just copy/paste that long serial number. The password/PIN can be found by clicking on "update personal profile" and it'll be listed under security PIN. Neither of this is very intuitive at all.

I initiated the transfer and then immediately called the number posted above me. The guy I talked to said he'd expedite the request and took an number to reach me back at cause he had to hang up. Few minutes later my iPhone got a text message saying I'm now with T-Mobile now and then the rep called me back and told me it was finished.

Unfortunately my plan doesn't seem to be active yet because my payment hasn't been processed so I'm on the phone with customer support again trying to see if this can be expedited as well. Need to leave the house real soon.

(As an aside, I asked about visual voicemail and nobody answered but yes visual voicemail does indeed work with iPhones.)

Edit: Just realized I called customer support from my phone by dialing 611. I've been on hold for ~10 minutes. I hope this isn't eating up my 100 minutes :/.

Edit 2: Finally got through to a payments guy. Had to verify some questions about my background for some reason but the guy said it was totally normal. He asked which state I lived in in 1990 which was when I was 3.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 11, 2013

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have an iPhone with the Tmo nerd plan. How do I tether my internet? It's saying I need to add a 15/mo option to be able to do that but I'm hoping it's bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

hotsauce posted:

No bullshit. You have to pay to tether unless you want to jailbreak and other tomfoolery to bypass the fee.

Well that sucks. Does TMo do a prepaid SIM card that's data only for iPads? I have the nerd plan and ideally I'd like to just get another SIM card for my (future) iPad and pay an additional $10 or so a month but I can't really find information on this on their website.

dentata posted:

Dork plan = best plan*. :colbert:

*except when roaming on AT&T with no mobile data :cripes:

I haven't looked into using CallingMart or any of those other sites yet but for now my workaround regarding sales tax is to refill using the T-Mobile My Account app. No taxes ever! Yet when I do it online thru mytmobile.com or whatever the site is I get charged sales tax. :iiam:

Has anyone tried doing this with the iOS app to get tax-free reloads?

• Locked thread