Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dentata
Mar 29, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

I just started my second month of the t-mobile dork plan and what a deal. I use callingmart.com and I dont have to pay tax, I even get a 30 cent discount. Charged me $29.70 for a month of service. Pretty convenient and cheap.

Can we use referral links?
http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/wirelesscards.aspx?rf=8847b1ba-5229-41ca-be7f-07ef535bfb94

Dork plan = best plan*. :colbert:

*except when roaming on AT&T with no mobile data :cripes:

I haven't looked into using CallingMart or any of those other sites yet but for now my workaround regarding sales tax is to refill using the T-Mobile My Account app. No taxes ever! Yet when I do it online thru mytmobile.com or whatever the site is I get charged sales tax. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentata
Mar 29, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

Hey guys, sorry if this has been posted a bunch. I think I even asked once but don't think I got a response:

What's the best, most cost effective way to have high speed mobile hotspot service that is pay as you go/pre paid?

It almost HAS to be on AT&T network, because its the only network in my city (Miami) which LTE speeds almost everywhere. Sprint/Wi-Max is horrible (so no Karma) and Verizon is an unknown entity to me but I am open to it.

Can I stick a Straight Talk AT&T sim into a hotspot? I know ST sells their own hotspots but they look cheap and their plans for hotspots are weird, I buy a certain number of gigs for a certain number of days (3o or 60) and I don't use them, they disappear, and if I go OVER the gigs, I have to refill or something before I can continue.

Any other options?

OK I know you said it has to be at&t but have you looked at T-Mobile at all? Coverage looks good for Miami and they do have data only plans... I think their prices are pretty reasonable: http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/mobile-internet.html#tab-navigation

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
This must be some sort of fluke.

I am on T-Mobile's $30 nerd plan and hit my 5GB 4G limit earlier today around 7 PM EST (I was torrenting some shows :ssh:) and within seconds of hitting the cap my speeds were throttled from a sweet, sweet ~3Mbps to an ungodly slow <20Kbps...when trying to browse the Play Store I frequently had timeouts and problems getting data at all. Ugh. Torture. Ran some speed tests and max speed I was getting was around 60Kbps.

Now it is 4:22 AM EST and I can't sleep so I opened my bittorrent app again to resume downloads and for some reason I am able to reach speeds of 2-3Mbps again... :iiam:

Does throttling only occur during peak times or am I just some sort of special snowflake?

If it's the latter, :ssh: don't tell T-Mobile.

Edit: Should maybe add that my plan resets in about 18 hours and I only have $0.04 in my account so I know I haven't been reset early or anything. And before anyone gets preachy about me torrenting via mobile data instead of WiFi, I am in the process of moving out of my apartment and in with my SO and my internet has been disconnected already, OK? Typically I use WiFi, haters. :colbert: And screenshots added for funsies.

My T-Mobile Account App:

Speedtest.net from last night a couple of hours after I hit my cap (it literally took 2 hours to download the app from the Play Store due to the throttling:

Speedtest.net from this morning:

God drat that is some loving fast internet. I love you T-Mobile.

dentata fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Feb 24, 2014

dentata
Mar 29, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

If you're going to go AT&T, AIO Wireless is pretty much your best bet.

Your speeds are lowered to around 2-4Mbps (from up to 9Mbps) when you use your given data bucket.

:stare: Whoa, is this really accurate? Or documented somewhere on AIO's website? My GoogleFu is failing me. Everything I just saw on HowardForums and general Google results say the throttle speed is 256kbps. If it is really 2-4Mbps that is amazing and definitely want to give that a shot.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
Oh. :(

Users of AIO on HowardForums are saying based on their experience they are getting Edge speeds around 100-200kbps once they hit their "soft" data cap...however this was most recently as last month so maybe things have changed? Maybe someone here with AIO can hit their soft cap and then do a speed test? :shobon:

2-4Mbps after hitting the soft cap would make AIO a seriously killer deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
Nothing. You won't get any data at all. If you try to web browse you'll be redirected to a T-Mobile upsell page.

Any apps that require internet connection won't load.

• Locked thread