Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am really glad I got this thread, as Virgin Mobile has been the only service I have heard about with this type of non-contract payment plan, but a lot of their current phones looked pretty crappy. I didn't know the service type was actually called pre-paid, but I am glad for this thread's info now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Wasn't the Evo 3D the one that all of the Sprint fans were jizzing about while waiting for it to come out a year ago or such?

Didn't it turn out to be a dud or something? Or did the new Iphone steal its thunder?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

hotsauce posted:

My guess is 3D is a gimmick. I tried one in the store and had a headache after a minute of staring at the 3D screen...

Yeah, I know about the 3d thing being a stupid gimmick, but I was under the impression people were looking forward to it due to it being one of the highest-horsepower phones available or something. I am curious about what happened with that-- I don't know if people were disappointed with the final product or if I just didn't pay attention to follow peoples reactions.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
So I take it the only real way to get in VM is to use one of their phones you buy from them? I couldn't port an unlocked sprint phone that I buy on my own, like a Nexus?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

swarthmeister posted:

Another VM to T-Mobile + gPlay Galaxy Nexus convert here. Anyone on the verge should make the switch, unless they're heavily invested in the iOS ecosystem.

RDU area of NC (with rural family), and both speed and coverage are better with T-Mobile. Those VM iPhone prices are ridiculous for carrier-locked phones.

Ridiculous especially since like half of that 600+ cost is straight profit to Apple.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I just got bill-raped by ATT and I am finally getting off that loving service. I have been waiting due to not having a lot of money, but honestly a huge EVO purchase upfront is better than continuing to pay 80$ a month for the privileged of having the cheapest unlimited text message plan on ATT.

I've been putting this off since I want an actual decent phone, which looks like the EVO. However, you guys are intriguing me with the whole VM IMEI swapperoo, as I don't really like the idea of plopping down the VM-mandated list price for the phone. Is there anywhere I can read more on this?

Even on Amazon a sprint Evo 4G is only like $220. I just don't know if that $80 difference is worth the hassle, if it is a headache to do the whole IMEI thing.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Rastor posted:

Guys getting a non-VM phone onto VM is extremely difficult, either borderline or fully illegal, and unlikely to work well due to the fact that VM uses different servers for data/mms than Sprint uses.

Besides all those above reasons, the whole discussion is kind of :filez:, please drop it.
Ah, I didn't know about the legality of the procedure, but yeah it sounds like a pain if it is illegal.

quote:

Have you considered getting on Straight Talk, thus using AT&T's towers without giving them (much) money?

I'm on a lovely E71 that crashes at the drop of a hat, so I might as well just buy a new phone and saving an extra 10$ a month on VM than Straight Talk. Plus gently caress ATT forever.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does StraightTalk charge per activation of sim? I was looking into VM but don't really like their phones, I figure if I have to pay 250-350 for a new phone I might as well get the Nexus as I don't really like how clunky/big the Evo feels.

Does anyone know a good app for bandwidth monitoring when not on wireless for when I do upgrade to Straighttalk?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Syrinxx posted:

So once I'm out of contract I can just pick up a Straight Talk SIM at Walmart, put it in my AT&T phone and port my number/cancel service and cut my bill in half? I can't wait to do this but I can't help wondering why any cell company would actually allow this to happen? These are the most notoriously lovely and customer-abusive companies in the country. :confused:

Also, do the ATT straight talk SIMs support HSPA+ or just 3G?

Because they gently caress you over for data usage, and you already pay 45$ a month which is what a standard non-data contract was for ATT anyhow a few years back.

Also 99% of people buy their phones on contract since they can't do math and think a 200$ Iphone at 95$ a month for 2 years is cheaper than a ~300-450$ phone at 50$ a month.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I switched to StraightTalk so that I didn't have to pay for a new phone, as I want to wait until Win8 phones come out before giving serious thought to upgrading off of my old E71.

The ST upgrade was super painless, except the E71 doesn't have anywhere to set the MMSC info that they give, and now multimedia text messages don't send or receive, only text ones.

Not that big of a deal, but just annoying.

Edit - nevermind, just made a second APN for MMS settings, and that worked.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 27, 2012

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'm sorry if this is asked every few pages, but I haven't kept up with this thread since I switched to StraightTalk for my beloved (but decreptid) E71.

My fiance is upgrading from a terrible Blackberry Curve or something, and her mom paid for her to be put on her T-Mobile plan and get an Android Samsung Galaxy S. She hates both, as there is absolutely no coverage at her work and school (she says "what is the point of having a phone even if I don't have to pay for it") and she hates Android as she says she might as well use an iphone or such.

My question is, how hard is it to port an iphone 5 to StraightTalk? The OP mentioned instructions which seem to have been removed from Howardforums, and that the phone would need to be unlocked for MMS to work? I am thinking of getting her a used AT&T iphone 5, which would be unlocked already. Would I still need to jailbreak it? She's okay with not using a lot of data when not on wifi and such that goes along with StraightTalk.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Carrier unlock (using it on a different provider) is different from jailbreaking (being able to run unsigned code). Make sure it's a former AT&T phone and you should just be able to pop in the new sim and go.

Awesome, I'll let her know.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Does anyone know if there is a wait time on transferring a phone number again? My fiance transferred to T-mobile, absolutely hates the coverage in her work/school, and now needs to get on StraightTalk asap. Is there a mandatory wait involved if just porting the number (not unlocking a phone or anything)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

SB35 posted:

I think Jeeves means a wait time from port to port. I don't think there is. At least I haven't heard of such a thing.

Yeah I meant she went from Verizon -> T-Mobile (about 3-4 days ago) and now wants to StraightTalk since she gets poo poo coverage at places she spends half of the day.

• Locked thread