Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

Yep. They started rolling the service out a few weeks ago. There's an unofficial map of PCS-band HSPA "sightings" here.

Is this for real? Makes me want to dump AT&T postpaid and switch to the $30 t-mobile plan on my SGS3. Is there an official time table for the rollout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

hypersober posted:

My sim card is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I'm kind of anxious about jailbreaking my iphone4 for MMS. I hope AT&T doesn't give me a run around when I cancel my plan with them.

If you port your # somewhere (google voice), the plan automatically cancels and you never have to talk to them.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is anyone using the $30/month T-Mobile plan on a Nexus 4? What kind of speeds are you seeing?

Also, I noticed the OP recommends porting your # to GV for use with prepaid plans. Is there a risk of losing my phone # if I port it over to the T-Mobile $30 plan? (i.e. if I forget to pay or something at some point)

tonic fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 30, 2012

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Getting consistently between 6-12 mbps. This was from today. I have the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan and am using a Nexus 4.

That's awesome! Faster speeds than I see on my current AT&T plan, so I'll definitely make the switch. GV sounds nice too, but the lack of MMS is kind of a non-starter for me.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

T-Mobile HSPA+ is about 3x as fast as AT&T HSPA+ here. Should have switched sooner!

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Finally dumped my ~$95/month AT&T plan (this was with 15% FAN discount) for the $30/month T-Mobile plan last week. Couldn't be happier.

For $95/month on AT&T: 450 minutes ($39.99), Unlimited Texts ($20), Unlimited Data [not really] ($30)

Really a no-brainer to switch to the $30/month T-Mobile since i use maybe 30-40 minutes/month. T-Mobile's HSPA+ network is much faster here (AT&T didn't have LTE anyway). Service isn't quite as robust (in terms of # of bars) as AT&T, but I really only use it for data and for that I haven't noticed any difference thus far. Stream radio/music all the way to/from work without any more hiccups than on AT&T.

Easily $700+ in savings/year.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Anyone have much experience with using an iPhone with the new T-Mobile 1900mhz rollout?

According to a t-mobile press release, our city supposedly has been switched over to 1900Mhz. My wife's iPhone (testing out t-mobile prepaid), on the other hand, thinks differently. In certain locations it will get great 3G service (10mbit+ download), but it most places it just sits on EDGE. Strangely, at home it is usually on EDGE, but will randomly jump to 3G, generally after making/receiving a call. Are there APN settings I need to use to force it to go on 3G? Or does T-mobile just not have their poo poo together yet?

Seems like they've got a ways to go if they're really going to attempt an iPhone launch this year.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So LTE capable phones (eg iPhone 5) on T-mobile prepaid won't get LTE access once the T-Mobile rollout begins?

It looks like 1 of the 4 main towers in my town was upgraded to 1900Mhz, while the other 3 I've seen are 3G (I get full HSPA+ on an Android phone with them), but not switched over to the 1900Mhz band. I wonder if they even plan on switching all of their towers to 1900 or if they are just going to wait for LTE to rollout.

Seems like there will be some pretty disappointed iPhone customers when they find out their phones are on EDGE 1/2 the time. Or maybe they won't be offering the iPhone at all until they make LTE happen.

tonic fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 28, 2013

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

How do you make T-Mobile APN settings sticky in iOS6? Mine seem to disappear at random and I never realize until trying to send a picture message.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Do any of the AT&T MVNOs allow LTE? For example, Red Pocket claims it offers "4G data", but it's unclear whether or not this is just HSPA+ or LTE.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

With T-Mobile's LTE network now live in a few cities, anyone tested if they get LTE service over prepaid?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="413854464"]
Apparently people on Tmo prepaid are able to access LTE. No guarantee of that continuing, but who knows.

Confirming this. Was in the San Jose area yesterday and hopped on some LTE with the $30 T-Mobile plan. Honestly, their HSPA+ is fast enough that there isn't really a noticeable difference. Speed test showed a faster upload but download speed was similar.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

gariig posted:

No you get HSPA+ just like a normal plan. The biggest difference between T-Mobile pre-paid and post-paid plans is data roaming because pre-paid has no data roaming at all but post-paid does roam. You can roam for voice and SMS on a pre-paid account.

You get LTE too where it's available. My iPhone 5 picks up LTE in the San Jose area on the $30/month plan. If a tmobile rep told you it's only 2g data, he's probably just trying to upsell one of their new uncarrier plans.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is there any way to re-up the T-mobile $30/plan before the month is up? I've been flying through data and am close to hitting the 5GB wall with around 10 days left.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="415305640"]
How do you never pay more than $27 for the tmobile plan?

http://www.refillmobi.net/

tonic fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 10, 2013

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Or you could pony up an extra $15/month, effectively doubling your data to 10 gigs and allows for full unrestricted tethering. For $45/month (assuming you have the $30 plan) this is a pretty good deal.

Wait so you can use the additional 5gb on your phone or only for tethering? Is this an add on you can cancel at any time?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Where does everyone buy their discounted prepaid $$ these days? there was a site mentioned a while back that worked great, but scrolling through 20pgs of thread I don't see it.

Edit: Found refillmobi but they're sold out of T mobile. Other suggestions?

tonic fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 15, 2013

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Can anyone make a recommendation on good European prepaid providers? Heading to France/Switzerland next month and I'm hoping I can just buy a SIM (either online here or once I get there) that I can pop into my unlocked HTC One. I'm mostly interested in data, minutes/SMS aren't really necessary.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So is AIO supporting LTE on AT&Ts network now? All the reviews I've read say that they don't, but they were from a few months back..

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

It's a speed capped version of their LTE.

What kind of speed caps?

7GB of AIO vs Unlimited T-Mobile for $70/month. Guess I'll stick with T-Mobile for now as their service is great and fast (20mbit+) here, but I feel like outside of metro areas the AIO might be the better choice.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Pulled the trigger and ordered an AIO sim for my HTC One. Kind of strange that you have to pay for a month of service (+ the $10 sim fee) even though it's prepaid service. I ordered my SIM early in the morning yesterday and it already shipped out. Will post trip report here in Nor Cal.

Also noticed on the site that they're offering a 3rd free month of service, but I didn't see anything about this when I went through the check out. Anyone been able to get the free month added to their account?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

teardrop posted:

I see a bunch of people switching to AIO in the last few pages. I'm going to be getting an iphone 5 and the OP recommends Straight Talk. AIO is more expensive and uses the same towers, so what is the AIO advantage?

Straight Talk's data limits are undefined. "Unlimited" isn't really unlimited. Some users can get away with using up to 100MB/day, some get throttled or kicked off of ST for using far less than this.

If you don't plan on using much data, ST is probably the way to go because it's less expesnive, but I tend to use 4-5GB/month.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

That is what every prepaid service is. You pay for the upcoming month that you'll use.

I get that. It's just that I should be able to activate the service and pay the month in advance at my own discretion. With T-Mobile, you pay $10 for the SIM and then can activate it down the road, whenever. I guess it just feels more "contracty".

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

hotsauce posted:

AIO is kind of tempting, but I have an unlocked HTC One (T-Mobile). I don't believe it has the proper bands for AT&T's HSPA+ and LTE.

Does anyone know if it will work on AIO?

Yes, it should work perfectly. I am making the switch with the exact same setup so I'll post nonce I get everything setup.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

TLG James posted:

Your AIO month doesn't start till you "activate it, right?

Yes. I waited a couple days after receiving the SIM to let my credit on T-Mo run out and still ended up with 30 days of service.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

hotsauce posted:

Not to stalk you, but your unlocked T-Mo One works fine (LTE and all) on AIO, right?

Yeah, haven't seen anything but LTE and HSPA+ so far.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Is there any way on Aio wireless to determine exactly how much data you've used? With the little graph they show it's basically impossible to tell.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

hotsauce posted:

I really don't want to buy an AT&T HTC One and sell my T-Mo One. Anything I'm missing here or will tethering just never work?

It works out of the box on my T-Mobile HTC One on Aio even though they state they don't allow tethering. Both via bluetooth and Wi-Fi. Strange.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Aio trip report (coming from T-Mobile $30 plan):

Activation: My number ported from T-mobile instantly. I activated the SIM online. It arrived within 2 days of shipping. No hassle at all.

Service: Generally excellent. I had AT&T here a while back and the coverage seems basically on par with that, except that there is LTE here now, so data is noticeably faster. AT&T has HSPA+ here in lots of places where T-Mobile is still EDGE or no service, so that's nice. Speed tests on LTE generally showed around 8mbit download, HSPA+ was considerably slower at around 2-3mbit. Upload may be capped on LTE at 1mbit? I couldn't get a test result to show better than that.

Support: Used the webchat serveral times and it never took long to get to a rep and they helped me out (somehow my voicemail was initially setup in Spanish). They refused to give me the 3rd month of service free (a promo on their website) because I activated a day too late which kind of pissed me off.

Apps: Visual voicemail (Android app from Aio) worked as expected, pretty minimal. My Aio app can be used to pay your bill or get a data usage estimate. They also have a Wi-Fi app that connects your phone automatically to their hotspots, actually noticed that I was using one at some point, I think near a Kinkos?

Conclusion: Overall, I recommend their service, especially if you are in an area where T-Mobile doesn't have great coverage.

I will likely switch back to T-Mobile in the next couple of months, however, for a couple of reasons:

1) Price. For 5gb of data on Aio, you're going to be shelling out more than twice as much as on TMo.

2) Tmo LTE here is much, much faster than Aio.

3) Tmo service is actually better in my apartment than AT&T. Weird.

tonic fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 9, 2013

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

Also, concerning T-Mobile and AIO, which (or both) will work with a unlocked, carrier free HTC One? I am reading totally contradicting reports about its ability to carry T-Mobile's HSPA+ on 1700mhz ASW (I dont even know what I just typed).

The Google Play edition of the HTC One doesn't have the 1700 band for T-Mobile. If you're planning on using the HTC One on T-Mobile, I'd just buy it from T-Mobile. They unlocked mine immediately (I paid in full). I guess the only downside is that you get a bit of T-Mobile bloatware on the phone.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Gozinbulx posted:

So the T-Mobile HTC One has more frequency capability than the regular one? I could take it to AT&T, for instance, if I wanted to? Also, can't I just root it to get rid of the bloatware?

Yes, the T-Mobile one has all of the bands that the Google Play Edition does with the addition of the 1700 (AWS) band. And yes, I use my T-Mobile HTC One on AiO currently (AT&T company) and it works beautifully. Sounds like I may have to switch here soon though.

And yes, you can root and remove the software, just haven't taken the time to do that myself.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

sweart gliwere posted:

Went into T-Mobile today to do a SIM swap, from normal to micro for the N5. Booya, turns out the prepaid $30 dork plan is LTE-friendly. I don't think they're capping it, but if they are it's pretty generous. Ran two speed tests out of curiosity and it's reliably >9Mbps down and >5Mbps up at 3/4 bars.

Just confirming, since I haven't seen it posted that their prepaid allows LTE.

Definitely not capped. I've seen 40+mbit in the Bay area.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

TraderStav posted:

These work in iPads, correct? I may grab an extra one to swap out for occasional usage for when I go through my free 200mb.

Wondering this too. Anyone know if these will work for data only plans?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Dradien posted:

I'm switching to AIO from the $30 month T-Mo plan because being on EDGE all the time really sucks. Is there anything about AIO specifically that I should be worried about? Not being able to use SMS Short codes doesn't really bother me, but from what I could tell,it otherwise seems good.

I'll be using a N5 if that matters much.

Very happy with Aio here still on the $55/month plan. No downsides that I've noticed so far. Even tether occasionally on my HTC One and haven't had any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

So does cricket currently not offer any sort of data only (tablet) service or am I blind?

• Locked thread