Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Funk posted:

I am now officially considering the switch to android with this

https://play.google.com/store/devic...laxy_nexus_hspa

That's freaking awesome, wish I had seen this a few weeks ago. That should work great with the $30 T-mobile plan and save you about $1000 over 2 years. There are options for a warranty but I don't think any are worth it. Most cost almost $75 and have around a $75 deductible. Personally I'll take a 50-50 that I won't break it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

That's what I figured when I got my Galaxy Nexus and switched to the T-Mobile $30 plan, and I'm very pleased with my decision.
Definitely I think more and more people will start doing the same math. If this direct sale of an unlocked phone takes off it might really shake up the mobile game in the USA.

Also a happy GSM Galaxy Nexus T-Mobile user and would strongly recommend it for anyone that uses few minutes. Overcoming prepaid = poor will take quite awhile. Also people are very hesitant to spend more than $200 on cell phones so I think postpaid is here for at least a couple more years. Prepaid has no marketing, because no one has a monetary reason to support it. It's kind of like google sites vs all those "website for $10 a month" products. Google sites might be a great product but no one is marketing it.

I'm just happy that T-Mobile didn't get bought up and is supportive of premium prepaid.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 26, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hog Obituary posted:

If I jump on the StraightTalk bandwagon with an unlocked Galaxy Nexus, will I be on the AT&T network or the T-mobile network? (or both? is that possible?)

You can choose either carrier and congrats the Galaxy Nexus one of VERY few phones that does both AT&T and T-mobile 3G.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 16, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lblitzer posted:

Well it's weird because I have $3 in my account left over every month after the $30. I got one text at 9:18am saying "thanks for payment!" and then one at 9:54am that said, "Your pymnt is past due and ur plan is inactive" despite it being active. WHAT THE HECK TMOBILE

For a couple months T-Mobile has thrown out those same incorrect messages for me too. It seems to mean nothing.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

edit: Nevermind, according to the first post Simple Mobile throttles more than the t-mobile plans.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 13, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

the kawaiiest posted:

Form factor really is a big deal to a lot of people for a lot of different reasons, and I'm surprised that Google doesn't seem to realize that. Give me a Nexus that's the size of an iPhone and has good hardware and I will not even consider buying something else.

If rumors are to be believed, Google has realized that form factor matters and will have many Nexus devices available before the end of the year. I figure that there will be an iPhone sized Nexus alongside a new supersized hero Nexus.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

MrMoose posted:

Just learned about the $30 T-Mobile 100min/Unlimited Text and Data plan. According to their coverage map, my apartment is in an Excellent area and my workplace in a Strong. Granted, when I drive to most places I'll only be on 2G, but I really don't care as I'm mostly texting at that point anyways. Went ahead and ordered a Sim and a HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus from Google. Going to give this a shot and see if it works out for me.

There are about a dozen of us in this thread, the T-Mobile thread, and the Android thread who have done that and really love the service and phone. I suggest you keep a couple extra bucks in your account so if you go over your 100 minutes you can still make phone calls. Also on the T-Mobile site you can set up an auto bill to draw $30 out of your account before your refill date. I suggest you do the auto bill a couple days ahead of your due date.

Some of us use the Free Groove IP (Wi-Fi only) for extra minutes, I've recently been using Talkatone recently.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

So I ran out of minutes on my TMobile plan. I have a balance and that's cool, but it seems like every time I call, I have to first listen to a message warning me that it will cost $0.10/minute, which is annoying. Does the message go away? Can I turn it off?

Easy way is have more money in your account. I think it only triggers when you are low on cash.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mister Snips posted:

The nexus S is pretty much the recommended "not-gnex" phone and while I have it and quite like it, it's still almost two years old. It's small and one of few phones you should spend your money on but, well, it came out in late 2010. It speaks for itself.

Nexus S isn't much smaller than Nexus. I don't think you'll have an issue (small hands) with the Google Play gNex and would suggest trying a VZ version at a Bestbuy. Rumors are that Google will have several Nexus phones shortly. I would guess one will be almost exactly iPhone sized. Hopefully the new Nexus phones will debut at $399 or less. It's also possible at least one will start a run to the bottom with gNex type specs but smaller and lower quality screen at $199 off contract.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Deciding between the Galaxy Nexus and S3. Anyone have any thoughts on either on what would be better?

GNex has a very similar screen and runs everything except super-top end games amazingly. S3 has better hardware (2Gb of RAM) and should stay a superphone for awhile. GNex at $350 is a steal but if S3 was the same price I'd suggest the S3.

It might be silly but I really prefer that the GNex doesn't have a Giant Silver Word "SAMSUNG" constantly looking at you. Also one thing to keep in mind is when video goes full screen in ICS/JB the soft keys will go away. This leaves the screen as just the image with nothing else, no buttons, colored shell, or branding. The GNex gives a great viewing experience and would suggest the Nexus 7 for the same reason.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 23, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Long Francesco posted:

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone has a pay what you use bucket of data plan. They wouldn't be able to charge you for 2gb a month when all you've done is watch a few youtube videos. Why not just tether it to your phone if you're not going to use much data?

I believe Ting has pay exactly what you use, but you have to use the Sprint network.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LiquidRain posted:

We can't go any lower on the per-device fee.

That's really too bad. I'd like to switch over as the two users I pay for are extremely light users and we are getting by with the 1 on the $30 100Min/Data TMo and one as a no data $.10/Min TMo and Ting would work well so I didn't have to worry about minutes but the built in $12/Mo is pretty sharp.

When will the Ting BYODevice policy go in effect? I could def. see switching out my Gal. Nexus/iPhone 3G for 2 Galaxy S.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

For those using T-Mobile's prepaid service, what phone are you currently using? I bought the Samsung S2 prepaid phone for $299 at Walmart, and flashed it to CM9 but not sure if I'm going to keep it. I know the GNexus for $350 is a popular choice, but from what I'm reading its not that different from the S2 and has issues all its own.

Maybe I'm just getting bored with Android. Anyone using a Windows phone with their prepaid?

GSM GNexus, No issues at all extremely happy with it. I did run the Lumia 710 on T-Mo prepaid. The screen is small the performance is decent if you don't do anything except check email, make phone calls and text. GNexus as long as I don't install the Amazon app store I can get a full days use and my work load is very heavy. I stream audio for about 6 hours, check email and other apps occasionally. Every other phone including the Lumia 710 required a mid day charge.

Not having apps is either a big deal for you or not. The 350 GSM GNexus from Google play is by and far away the best option out there for TMO. If you don't like it you can sell it for almost face price later. Also keep in mind you might have 1900 in your market so you might be able to use a iPhone at full speed.

http://www.airportal.de/

If you have 1900 mhz 3G you can use (nearly) any unlocked GSM phone at full speed. I haven't checked my market yet, but apparently there have been 1900 spottings.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

What does the Amazon App Store do to kill your battery? I've never noticed an issue on mine.

I take my phone off the charger in the morning, use it lightly for 4 hours or so, then go to work where I stream music for a few hours, check email and text, check the web, and stream some video. Nine hours later and I have 35-40% battery life left. The only time I run out is if I'm streaming video for hours.

Voice calls do drain the battery more than most things, I've found.

I don't know what it is about amazon app store, but I think the authentication calls it makes in the background cause significant wake events. Even if I did not open the amazon app store app I would find it was using about 3% of my battery, but if I uninstall it I get roughly an extra 30% battery life and now get a full day charge without midday charge. You can uninstall the app and keep amazon app store installed apps on your phone.

It is possible to only use %3 of battery, but still take 30% battery life if it's making background calls (like long polling internet requests) that end up getting counted under something else like Android OS. I should probably take this discussion to the Android app thread. But the point was the GNexus gets great battery life if you keep your extra apps light.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 17, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ilkhan posted:

It will work fine for voice, but until the refarm is complete in your area it will run at 2G data speeds.

It looks like they are making great progress. http://www.airportal.de/ I havn't confirmed but it looks like my market is already done.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BlackFrost posted:

So anyone looking to buy a Galaxy Nexus and switch over to T-Mobile (if you haven't already), you might want to hold off for just a bit.

Regardless, we'll find out for sure at the end of the month. It might be worth it to hold out til then just in case it's real.

The rumor for awhile has been google will release multiple Nexus devices this year (looks like at least this LG and GNex 2 GT-i9260). I'm just hoping for one with a 4in or smaller screen made by HTC as much as I move the GNex it's just too big for some people. I'd love a Nexus 1 form factor with GNex hardware.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

So, I can enable Wifi hot spot on my GNex. Are there any repercussions for doing so on the $30/month TMobile plan? I may only have need of it once or twice a year, but would like to be aware of any issues before I go to use it.

I've tethered quite a bit and there have been no repercussions on the $30/month Tmobile plan.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Quick question, what's the best prepaid plan if I need tethering? All the information I see sort of excludes that.

I would have said the $30 tmo plan but I tethered yesterday and after 400 mb they cut me off and told me to pay to get tethering. It looks like it costs another $15 to add tethering to it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I've done it several times in fairly short periods torrenting and never got a notice. I say T-Mobile's $30 plan is great for tethering.

Did you use hotspot blue tooth tethering. I got cut off on Monday after about 350mb of tethering download in a Microsoft installer, and then 90mb of a direct file download (chrome downing a big exe). Laptop got cut off with an upsell request, but the phone kept right on going. I can tether again after two days.

So it probably means that if you do something really obvious like downloading a large file directly to the PC you might get caught and asked to stop tethering, but most everything else is fine.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 31, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Mr. Blastaway posted:

I never experienced this, but I would never recommend blowing through you 5gb anywhere near as fast as I did. It's certainly can get you noticed I'm sure, but I never heard anything from T-Mobile. Better safe than screwed out of your number, though.

It wasn't fast, it was a total of 400 mb over around 2 hours. The down speed was pretty sad.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I save 300 every two years. Not really that good, but it's something.
Although to be fair 300 is going to be enough to buy a new Nexus this time as it seems Google seems intent get down to a $200 unlocked no contract Nexus. They have worked from from $650 (3 Gens ago) to $400 (Last Gen) which in cycle dropped to $350 to $300 (Current Generation Nexus).

Given that history I wouldn't be shocked for the current Nexus 4 to drop to $250 next google I/O and maybe down to $200 when they announce the Nexus 5.

To be fair a hidden downside of TMO prepaid, is that you can't roam on AT&T like TMO postpaid, so to save $150 a year that might be worth sticking with postpaid.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Nov 1, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Long Francesco posted:

I'm on tmobile prepaid and roaming on att works just fine, there's no data obviously but it's always worked for me.

Apologies, I had read that in the past that TMO prepaid did not roam voice to ATT. Upon research can not I find conclusive support for that position.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I pay, roughly, 100$ a month for ATT. I don't really want to give them my money but I also don't want to rely on my iPhone 5 that I got for work (I don't want to be tethered to my work phone).

I thought about just ditching my personal phone and getting a cheapo go phone.

Is there adequate competition to ATT that's not 100$ a month that will have the new WP8 phones?

Your question is very confusing.

What do you wish your future use case to be on the phone you will be paying for.

[Carrier]
[Monthly Minutes]
[Monthly Texts]
[Monthly Data in GB, or description of data use]
[OS preferences]
[Desire to have capacity to use your old number or sim card]

There is very adequate competition to ATT.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

The lowest I can get my ATT bill to go is approximately $100. I don't use the phone, texting or data, nearly enough to justify $100 a month, but I do like my WP7 phone. I'd like to keep that extra number.

Basically I'm looking for a cheap carrier that will have WP8 phones. Was thinking Virgin or especially T Mobile but don't know if T Mobile will get a Windows 8 Phone.

T Mobile will be getting several windows phone 8. If you use a bunch of minutes and have no reliance on data then the $30 prepaid 1500 minutes, 50mb no warning full cut off of data might work for you. If you use a bunch of data the $30 5 Gb of data 100 minutes plan is great. If you don't use any data at all, and few minutes then the straight 10 cents per minute prepaid is a good way to go. You can pay $100 (plus sales tax) per YEAR if you do the Pay as you Go plan (and use less than 1000 minutes in a year).

http://explore.t-mobile.com/htc-windows-phone-8

TMO will be getting several Win8 phones including the top of the line HTC 8X.

You can also use an GSM phone (including the upcoming Lumia 920) on Tmobile although you might have very slow data speeds if they don't have the right radios.

Look at the OP of the thread and ask more specific questions and I'll be happy to help.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 2, 2012

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

No, no it is not great. It's 50mb and then data is straight shut the hell off, no throttling or anything.

Yeah I could have worded that better, but the poster I was responding to gave effectively no information on his usage scenario so I was just trying to outline a couple TMO options before telling him to go read the OP. I'll go change my post.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Thanks!

Any heavy lifting/browsing/Pandora is gonna happen on my iPhone for work.

Does the TMobile high data/low voice a contract free plan?

Yes, in the Prepaid plans thread we are generally talking about prepaid and therefore contract free plans unless noted.

From the OP. Note Nexus 4 will work on TMO and TMO is getting (will have 3G radios that work with their freq) several Win 8 devices.

T-Mobile

Unlike Sprint, T-Mobile isnít too proud to put their own name on prepaid service on their network.

Phones:
T-Mobile sells some of their phones (generally mid- and low-range ones) in retail boxes which include a prepaid service activation kit. Of these, the current recommendation seems to be the Samsung Galaxy Exhibit (formerly Exhibit II) 4G ($180).
You can also use any unlocked (or T-Mobile locked) GSM phone which is compatible with T-Mobileís frequencies. Note that this includes high-end Google Nexus Android devices such as the Nexus S (i9020T) and the Galaxy Nexus (Google is selling the GSM/HSPA+ Galaxy Nexus on the Play store for $349 w/ warranty:
https://play.google.com/store/devic...laxy_nexus_hspa)

Plans:
Monthly Price/Voice Minutes/Text Messages/Data Allowance
$30/100/Unlimited/Unlimited (throttled after 5GB)
$60/Unlimited/Unlimited/Unlimited (throttled after 2GB)
$70/Unlimited/Unlimited/Unlimited (throttled after 5GB)

How it works:
Either buy a T-Mobile packaged prepaid phone, or buy your phone from wherever and buy an activation kit ($1) from http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/...-Activation-Kit, then when you receive it activate it online or over the phone.
You can arrange for automatic payments or buy refill cards anywhere prepaid refill cards are sold.

Summary:
$30/month for unlimited texts and 5GB data is an amazing deal for anybody who either has such poor social skills they have no friends to call (i.e. goons), or is so young they donít even understand the concept of using a phone to talk instead of texting.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ZShakespeare posted:

I'm going to be vacationing in San Francisco for a week next year and it would be really nice to have data for my unlocked Canadian iPhone 5 for navigating around the city etc. What are my best options? Bonus points if I can get a nano sim, and not have to bring a cutter with me.

I'd wait for others but I think getting a Nano TMO sim then signing up for the $30 100 minute 5 GB plan probably makes sense. I don't see an easy way to order a Nano online. I'm guessing you could just walk into a TMo store, say you have an unlocked iPhone and you want to buy a Sim. Then get online and activate it. Maybe the TMobile thread would better answer that. Other options are the two straight talks, and red rocket.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

In my experience, you can't just walk into a T-Mobile store and buy a SIM/activation kit unless you want one of the more expensive plans. Yes, it's stupid.

Ok then it looks like you'll have to order a Micro Sim and cut it then activate over the internet/phone.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does anyone know of a good cheap (preferably free) GSM AT&T phone I can use for Straight Talk to test out their service for a month? It doesn't have to be Android or even a touchscreen but I'd prefer something that has internet access so I can test that as well. MMS is also preferred.

I hate to sound silly, what you described is every single GSM phone that has 1900 MHz frequency made in the last 6 years.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I figured, I have never used a GSM phone though. I'm kinda new to it, really.

I'm not sure if I want to leave CDMA though because I'm not sure how good AT&T's service here is. I asked some Best Buy employee and he did his best to push me away from AT&T's prepaid stuff (Straight Talk included) because, according to him, it's bad coverage due to no roaming.

I don't really want to throw down $100 on a GSM phone that may or may not work though so I don't know a good one to try.

Ask a coworker with AT&T if they have an old phone you can borrow for a couple days. Or just ask in this thread/the AT&T thread about your market. TMo prepaid has worked great for many in this thread. There are a couple who have used Straight Talk ATT and seem to only have issues if you use too much data but besides that like the service.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'll probably check out the at&t thread here. T-Mobile doesn't really work in the Midwest so much.

E: and since I'm here, anyone using straight talk at&t in Nebraska? Speifically in Omaha. How is it?

I'm in the first Major metro directly south of Omaha, and TMo, ATT, and Verizon works great, Sprint not so much.

Take a look at this map:
http://opensignal.com/

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Choicecut posted:

It's funny, when I tell people about prepaid plans now, I realize how stupid I was. I would justify postpaid just like they do. "What about phone insurance, I gotta have that", "What if something goes wrong, who do I call?", "What if my phone needs work, where do I go?", "I am afraid of not having good cell reception!".. On & On.

Welcome to the prepaid family. But no matter what you say everyone will still look at you like you are crazy. The telecoms have the whole country locked into the thought process of contracts and $60-100 (with taxes) bills. It would take a large marketing campaign to break that and I don't think it will happen.

It's like pregnancy tests, Walgreen sells then for $7, grocery store sells them for $15, and the dollar store sells then for $1. They are all the same thing with the same process and the same chemicals but marketing seems to win.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

A question - how safe would it be to turn on tethering with a T-Mobile device without paying for the tethering plan? What would happen if they caught me? I have a Galaxy Nexus and an iPad, and I just figure it'd be nice to do browsing and email from the iPad when it's convenient.

It's safe, you might get hit with a pay wall after a hundred or so mb, but even then if you wait a couple hours it will reset and you can tether again. Or you can just change your mobile agent and continue.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

That shouldn't be too bad since AT&T's coverage isn't too bad here supposedly.

I don't know though.

I've had so many mixed reactions from people I've asked so I'll probably see if I can pick up a GSM phone to test. If Walmart has them, I can grab them sometime this week.

Does anyone know of a cheap GSM phone to start out with to test the sms/mms (not required)/data?

You could always walk into Walmart and buy the cheapest phone for the one you want to test.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Long story short, your best bet would be to buy a new micro SIM from T-Mobile's site (I think it's 99 cents shipped)

I looked a couple days ago and only saw full and mini online. So you might have to carve/buy a tool. I used a full to mini punch tool and it worked well and came with adapters so I could return to android after 2 months of insanity with wp7.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ilkhan posted:

"mini"-SIM = standard size
"micro"-SIM = iPhone4 / Nexus4 / OneX/OneS / etc sized SIM
"nano"-SIM = iPhone5

Pretty sure, anyway. The original SIM standard was credit card sized I think.
fake edit: yup. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscr..._Module#Formats

Ah ok, I bought a mini-micro punch tool with inserts. So I can use the same sim cards in Iphone 4, Lumia, and the Galaxy Nexus as I slip it into and out of a little holder.

$5.57 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Noosy-Cutter-...e/dp/B00419V4L0

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

yoyomama posted:

I got an iphone 4, and I'm trying to choose between Net10 and Tmobile prepaid for service. I don't plan to use data all that often, so either one ($50/mo Net10 vs. $60/mo Tmobile) would be fine. My only concern is about the customer service/experience, or any particular pros/cons for each one. Is any one company between than the other to deal with, or has better service? I saw it was mentioned that tmobile roams on att for prepaid, and call quality is actually my biggest concern. Does net10 do the same? Would anyone highly recommend either service, or is it pretty much the same either way?

Be careful of Net10. Last I used them they worked great on their own phones only. Why are you considering Net10? TMo has great customer service in that you will never need to use it. Also check airportal.de to see if you have 1900Mhz in your area before considering TMo prepaid.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

MC Hawking posted:

My only issue with this largely correct statement is that you can locally cache Maps these days which do away with the whole data need thing.

I believe local maps will find locations but will not do turn by turn without data. I'm interested to hear I'm wrong.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tigerdirect has $5 Tracfones today only. Does anyone know if these are unlocked and can be used on T-Mobile Pre-Paid?

Cross posted in the TMO Thread.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...&sku=TPN10-1002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Ariza posted:

Are there any hidden caveats that I'm missing in going prepaid?

1. Virgin Mobile is Sprint service ONLY. If you have a sprint Post paid you will roam on Verizon. Sprint service is not as good as Verizon but as always your use area matter only. Virgin Mobile's data is Sprint 3G only and the speeds are terrible compared to any other 3G or heaven help you Verizon LTE comparison.

So if you are OK with the service being super slow and not always working (if you are out of reach of Sprint Towers) then by all means join us prepaid and enjoy saving buckets of money. I sound negative, but I'm not, myself and many others run prepaid of various formats (I'm on the $30 TMO plan, and love it). I have another household user on TMO pay by the minute ($100 for 1 year but only 1000 minutes all year) because they have no interest in data.

Also porting can be difficult with prepaid, most of us just ported to GV or got a new GV number and then pointed it at the new numbers. Depending on your chosen service you generally can't get visual voicemail (not a problem for you as you are not looking at iPhones).

When you make a port request with the new service your old service dies immediately so one day out of contract would work fine, but might take a while for the number to point to the new phone. This among other reasons is why many suggest porting to GV (or getting a new GV number) and then handling number assignment yourself.

You might also want to look at the HTC Evo V 4G. It's $150 instead of $100 but might be a better phone. Also having two of the same phones is nice but sometimes results in them getting confused for each other. You might consider the HTC for yourself and the Reverb for the lady.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 24, 2012

• Locked thread