Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I am seriously considering canceling my Sprint service and switching to Straight Talk with a Galaxy Nexus HSPA+. What would the process be to port my number to Straight Talk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Actually I think my plan now is going to be buy the Galaxy Nexus HSPA, buy a month from Straight Talk with a new number. Then port my Sprint number to Google Voice, and forward that to my Straight Talk.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

This is my plan once my Verizon plan runs out. There is a likely chance that I will be buying the Nexus a month or two in advance, buy the $30 monthly plan from TMobile for the data, and once my contract is up with Verizon I'll port my number into Google Voice.

Has anybody else had success / horror stories with doing this? Am I going the wrong way with it, or is this a perfect acceptable and easy thing to do?

The worst I've been reading is people getting throttled for using too much data. Something unofficial like over 100mb a day repeatedly, or 2gb a month. Also it's in the license agreement with Straight Talk that you're not allowed to stream, but many people do anyway with no issue. I am fine with that because they are throttled down to 200kbps or so, which is way faster than what I'm currently getting on Sprint with full speed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I know a few people are doing the Google voice number forwarding to the prepaid number. Is anyone having issues with this? I don't know if its storm related - no one can call me at my Google voice number, texts are working fine though.

Edit - From the Google Voice product forums

quote:

The east coast power outages are affecting some coverage including inbound calls.

We appreciate your patience.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 30, 2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Does anyone know of a good cheap (preferably free) GSM AT&T phone I can use for Straight Talk to test out their service for a month? It doesn't have to be Android or even a touchscreen but I'd prefer something that has internet access so I can test that as well. MMS is also preferred.

Straight Talk phones are sold at Walmart.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are they the GSM ones though?

I don't know for sure

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

ShaneB posted:

OK, my plan just re-upped for the month and my speeds are back. My data usage last month, according to CM (which I don't know if it splits wi-fi out from 3/4g or not), was 1.7GB. I never streamed or tethered. If this happens again during this month I'm done with Straight Talk. I had 2G speeds for about a week, which is just dumb.

There isn't just the mystery 2gb limit. There is also the mystery hundreds of mbs per day limit. Some say if you're on pace to go well over 2gb for several days in a row, you will get throttled. A call to Straight Talk usually clears this up. Some also say removing the proxy from the APN will avoid being throttled.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

plester1 posted:

When you text from Google Voice it comes from your GV number. You are correct that MMS does not work. However, I've discovered that I don't miss MMS at all because there are literally dozens of other ways to share pictures with people.

Can you text from the texting app instead of the Google Voice app?

Also, my favorite feature of Google Voice is being able to text from the GV page on my desktop browser. I don't have great cell service at work, so its really convenient.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is it reasonable to use the TMO low minutes plan with GrooveIP to avoid using minutes?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Settings - More - Mobile Networks - Access Point Names

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

MondayHotDog posted:

Did everyone else pay :20bux: to port their number over to Google Voice? Everyone recommends it but nobody ever said you had to pay for it.

I did. They offer (or used to) a free number, but it's a new number.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do texts with Google Voice count as texts? They don't seem to send without a good data connection. I thought regular texts went over the voice line.

I'm currently on Straight Talk $45 unlimited talk, text, mysterious data limit plan. I don't use more than 10-20 minutes of talk per month. Is there an even cheaper plan that will fit my usage?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If I switch to the TMobile plan from Straight Talk, what happens to my Straight Talk when it runs out? If after a month , or 3 months, I decide I want to go back to Straight Talk, do I need a new sim? Or can I reactivate the sim I have?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I think Google voice doesn't have 911. I'm not sure how this works if you're dialing out from your phone - if you have to switch to your SIM number or not.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What is the process to get an iPhone 4 working on T-Mobile? Will it work at full network speed?

Alternatively, what is the best <$100 Android phone (used included) for use on T-Mobile?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Stick100 posted:

There isn't much. I'd suggest not going back farther than the Galaxy S2 and those seem to be running around $200.

Standard advice you'll get, Get a Nexus 4 for $299, in which case you get to skip forward a full 2 years for only $100 more than the S2. It's tied with the best devices currently available for less than 1/2 the cost of all of the other flagships. I actually like the N4 better than an S3 or Optimus G.

Alternative answer, It's WP7 but solid phone Lumia 710 will do calls, texts, email, browse, and HSPA+ (fast), but has piss poor app selection for around $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOKIA-LUMIA...=item4ac2e7d287

Problem with going too cheap on Android is you will likely end up with a laggy difficult to use device with battery life that lasts 5 hours.

To get an iPhone 4 working on T-Mobile just get it unlocked and drop in a TMo sim. It may or may not work at full network speed, it depend on your local market. Look here to determine:

http://www.airportal.de/

Well this question was for my sister, I'm already on T-Mobile with a Galaxy Nexus. She's been struggling with iffy connection issues on AT&T Straight Talk. And what you just said is literally everything I told her. She doesn't have money for a Nexus 4, and is ambivalent about unlocking the iPhone. But from that map, it should work okay.

I remember reading something somewhere about the iPhone not working well with Straight Talk. Is this true in most cases?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I just got a Moto X. I didn't know it came with a nano sim, so I bought a sim cutter. Can I register this new sim with my existing TMobile prepaid account? Or should I just cut the old one down to fit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

gariig posted:

You'll need to call T-Mobile. I couldn't get it done online. It takes about 30 minutes to get the new SIM activated.

Actually, it was instant. I was on the phone with "Dave," and he said "Hold on while I enter that information..." and click. My phone went dead, service was gone. Only took about 30 seconds for the other phone to get a signal.

• Locked thread