Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

So, in 6 months my new job is going to give me an iphone. So now I'm thinking of getting rid of the iphone I have, and the $90+tax bill with it. I'm looooonnngg out of contract so I don't have to worry about ETF or whatever.

The two options I'm looking at are:
Straight talk + Galaxy Nexus
or
Boost + Evo Design 4G

And I'm leaning toward Boost. It has WiMax and I have a tower right next to me, plus it seems like it's pretty much the same HTC Evo, which I've had before and it wasn't bad. I also like how the bill goes down as you make payments on time. Just reading this last page, looks like StraighTalk might suck, so just go with Boost then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

hotsauce posted:

I say port your current iPhone number to Google Voice, get the T-Mobile plan ($30/unlimited text/data/100 mins) and use the GV app on your iPhone for your ported number. That way you can have all the data you want on the GNEX (5gigs at 4G, slower after) and all the texting you can handle. If you approach the 100 minute voice limit on your T-Mo line, just use the GV app on your iPhone and let your company pay for you calls. You never lose your number either.
Well I'll be porting into GV regardless of who I go with. I have a concerns with T-Mo though; no-one I've known that uses them here has ever had anything nice to say, and I doubt their pre-paid will be any better. The data seems good (if it works well here), but 100 minutes just won't cut it, I'd blow through that in a couple days. I know there's VOIP apps and whatnot but I'd rather not need to mess with all that...I've tried it before and was quickly frustrated.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

So I've had my Evo Design with Boost for a couple days now, and I'm really happy with it. Coming from an iPhone 3GS, I'm liking the larger screen and the faster processsor. I've had android phones before and didn't like the OS, but this one has 4.0 and I've been pretty surprised at how solid it is. Not getting crashes, and even with lots of apps open the performance is OK. Battery life has been decent too. Yes, it has Sense, but it doesn't bother me.

As for boost, happy with it as well. The 3G speeds actually seem a little faster than it did with my iphone/at&t, coverage is fine, and having 4g is nice, even though its "only" wimax.

Prepaid sure has come a long way...I just cut my monthly expenditures by $50 and its awesome :)

• Locked thread