Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I picked up an Exhibit II 4G over the weekend and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, for a $200 phone this is probably the best cheap phone I've ever had. It's a bit quicker, the screen is larger and more clear, camera is better, and battery life is better than the 2 Optimus V's I went through.

T-Mobile's coverage in the Minneapolis/St. Paul is pretty good, have had a few weird spots where it seemed to slip in and out but I'm getting 2.6mbps down and 1.6mbps up about in the NW suburbs. Nothing on Verizon's 4G but still adequate for most things.

I was worried when I purchased it at WalMart the employee said they don't do activations there but when I called T-Mobile to set up my account I told them I purchased it from WalMart and asked for the plan and they put it on no problem.

Will be rooting it and installing a new rom onto it, it does experience some issues with lag if you're jumping from app to app but that's to be expected.

For a $200 phone and a $30 pre paid plan I'm really liking this loads better than Virgin Mobile. Might have to try and find a Nexus S.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

http://pocketnow.com/android/htc-evo-v-4g-an-evo-3d-for-virgin-mobile

Rumor is that the HTC EVO 3D is coming to virgin mobile... is it a good phone?

If by good you mean spec-wise then yeah, it can still hold it's own against even high end models with other carriers. 1.5ghz dual core is pretty beefy. qHD isn't the best display out there but it'll easily be VM's top phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So after having the Exhibit II for a week or now, this phone isn't really up to snuff on what I'd like. I'm trying to find a Sensation for less than $300 but it's a little tough.

I honestly wouldn't mind the Nexus S, but 1. they're hard to find for T-Mobile's frequencies AND under $250, and 2. They don't use 4G. Can I still use 3G if I'm on T-Mobile's Walmart monthly 4G plan? I was stuck on Edge for most of the weekend and that was incredibly slow, would like to avoid that if possible.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 17, 2012

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

Bleh, i think i'm going to jump to t-mobile's $30 plan and galaxy nexus.

Not a bad choice at all. I've been on it for over a month now and really like it. 3G and Edge both are slow, but HSPA is quick enough to stream music and youtube videos just fine.

Really wouldn't mind a Galaxy Nexus but the Sensation is turning out to be a fantastic web device.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Looks like VM members got what they deserved. The Evo V looks awesome! 1.2ghz Dual-core, 1gb ram, and 12gb storage (4gb internal, 8gb microsd), 4.3-inch qHD display, and dual 5mp rear cameras & 1.3mp front facing camera.

This is what they've needed for a year now. http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/08/evo-v-4g-hands-on/

spengler posted:

but will the HTC EVO V 4G still have a 3d screen?

Nope, although it looks like it might be able to take pictures in 3D? Not sure why that's on there with a 2D display.

VVVVVVVV $299 off-contract

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 8, 2012

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
After having the Sensation and the $30/4G plan on T-Mobile for two months now I don't even care that I have two phones (I was actually given another work phone today too). I'm spending half as much as some of my friends who have worse constraints on their cell phone plans. Between my two phones I have more than double what they do, just at the added inconvenience of carrying around more than one phone.

This thread rocks. Thank you all for opening me up to pre-paid cell phone service.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Re: T-Mobile monthly 4G
For my 2nd month in a row, I've got a text message the day before my account is auto-renewed that I used up all my minutes and they disconnected my service. I used 4 minutes this month. Wish I could call customer support right now, but has anyone else had this happen?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Capt. Morgan posted:

Yes, I just got that text this morning. I used maybe 15 minutes this month.

I have no idea why but my plan finally auto-renewed about a half hour ago. Works fine now and my account online says paid.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Porkchop Express posted:

I have never got that message, except for the one time I actually did use all of my minutes. However I keep a balance of $25 on my account so it just switches over to .10 cents a minute if I ever go over again.

Well it's weird because I have $3 in my account left over every month after the $30. I got one text at 9:18am saying "thanks for payment!" and then one at 9:54am that said, "Your pymnt is past due and ur plan is inactive" despite it being active. WHAT THE HECK TMOBILE

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm wondering if you'll be able to use unlocked versions of the iPhone for VM. Are the CDMA versions even able to be "unlocked" to either Verizon or Sprint? $649 is a huge price to pay for a year old phone, considering you can get a Galaxy Nexus for $400 unlocked from Google themselves.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So you get 2.5gb of 3G and then it knocks it down to 1X or something?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

Picked up the phone for $250 and with a new SIM and activation kit, everything came to $310.
That seems like a heck of a lot for a 3GS.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

cheese eats mouse posted:

That wasn't a 3GS. It was an iPhone 4.

I lost my 3GS a few weeks ago. :(

Oh well this retina screen is pretty sweet.

Ah I misunderstood your post. The retina display is one of the few reasons why I wish T-Mobile had better iphone support.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

DEO3 posted:

How big of a deal is this? I was planning on ordering a Galaxy Nexus next month when my current contract is up and going with Straight Talk (thanks thread!), but since it will be my first smart phone I don't really know if 'local search function' is something that's important or not.

Unless you've got a lot of poo poo thrown around your disk space that you want to look for on a whim it's really not handy. I've never used the feature on both iPhone and Android because I usually know how to find something pretty easily. It's handy if you have a bad memory or you're searching for old poo poo on your phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Tommy Wiseau posted:

When they throttle my data after 5 gig, how slow will it go?

It'll run at Edge speeds, which is pretty loving slow but still enough to pull up emails and small stuff.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Quad posted:

Ehh, I had a good run at $25, $35 is still better than, what, like $80/month for an unlimited iPhone contract?

For 2 year commitments:

Verizon is $100 month for unlimited minutes and messages + 2gb data.

AT&T is $89 month for 450 minutes, unlimited messages + 3gb data.

Anyone who still has unlimited data CAN still retain it, they just can't upgrade their phone or to the new plans so basically they have to buy their phone for unsubsidized prices or used/refurbished.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

Huh. I'm in the Twin Cities, could any other TC goons post their results? Maybe there is something wrong with my phone, but only on T-Mobile's frequencies? I also tried a different speed test (the one you guys are posting) than the one I'd been using and it's reporting better speeds (2-4 Mbps down/1.5 Mbps up) but they're not consistent and depend heavily on whether it can keep a "4G" signal for the entire speed test or if it drops down to "3G" during it. I'll do more testing when I get home.

To quote myself from the first page:

Lblitzer posted:

T-Mobile's coverage in the Minneapolis/St. Paul is pretty good, have had a few weird spots where it seemed to slip in and out but I'm getting 2.6mbps down and 1.6mbps up about in the NW suburbs. Nothing on Verizon's 4G but still adequate for most things.

This was with the Exhibit 4G

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

How is Red Pocket in terms of service? I've heard that they warn if you go over 10,000 text messages as that's all AT&T allows them. However, they're not that stingy on data like Straight Talk.

They're not that stingy because they specify that they only have a 1gb data plan.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

FranklinPCombs posted:

Haha, ok. You've got me on the hook, would you care to go into this just a bit more?

It uses a very old version of Android, the processor and memory was considered middle of the road back in 2010 and for your money you can get a lot more than that. Check out cowboom.com, people have had pretty good success and it's got a lot better hardware than that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Any idea if Tmobile's value unlimited plan pegs people for using the hot spot feature on the phone? Wouldn't mind paying a bit more a month than I am currently with Verizon to help replace my shifty ISP service.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So with Verizon's latest debacle with re-locking the Galaxy Note 2's bootloader I am confident I'm leaving them once my contract is up and going with Straight Talk or T-Mobile. Looking at unlocked phones, anyone ever buy anything made by Huawei? I see them mentioned all the time on sites like Engadget but I haven't heard much. Looking at their prices for unlocked phones seems very reasonable for the specs. Perhaps I'll crosspost this in the phone thread as well.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Last question would be when I switch, will T-Mobile end my account with AT&T or do I have to do it myself, and if so when should I do that?

If you're concerned with keeping your number then activate service with your new provider and have them port your number over, which will automagically cancel service on your current/previous provider. If you were to cancel it yourself you run the high risk of losing your number to the abyss.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
That Ting ETF credit deal looks awesome, just wish it was more of a guaranteed thing. Do I have to port my number over in order to try and get in on the credit or can I hold my spot in line, get picked, then decide if I'm going to jump ship?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Lblitzer posted:

Just looking for a second opinion, I recently bought a Note 2 off contract and was looking to maybe hop over to Ting or Tmobile. My upgrade comes in a few days and my contract and I'm wondering if the iPhone 5 is worth it to use the upgrade, sell the device and pay the ETF or just pay the ETF now?

Posted this in the Verizon thread, maybe someone here can offer an opinion for me?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SB35 posted:

$60/month isn't exactly cheap... and $70 you're getting into contract territory.

$45/month on ST T-mo is a much better deal in my opinion

While I mostly agree with this, their 500 minute unlimited plan is rather enticing. It is much higher than most pre-paid options but considering theirs is truly unlimited now it's worth a look if you absolutely need more than 2gb.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

johnny sack posted:

Quick question because I haven't seen the answer on TMobiles webpage:

The $50 plan with 100mb @ 4G speeds, what happens after 100mb? Does it drop to 3G? Does it drop to something worse than 3G?

Check out their value plans. Pretty sure they have one around $60 for 500 minutes, unlimited messages, and unlimited 4G data.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Quick question, I'm using a Note 2 on Verizon but looking to jump to T-Mobile. Not sure how coverage is here but I'd like to try it out as sim cards are a buck on their site. Is it possible to use their SIM card to test out and then swap back to my Verizon one when I want to use my main number?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

z06ck posted:

You can't use a tmobile sim on your Verizon note 2...

Everything that I've been reading has lead me to believe that you can. Most Verizon phones that are LTE capable also have GSM radios in them for international use, which are also used domestically here in the states.

Here is the CDMA Note 2 specs:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_cdma-5152.php

And here is the GSM variant used in the states for AT&T and T-Mobile:
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_n7100-4854.php

Notice the GSM frequencies are similar. With that, many roms available for the Note 2 allow you to edit APN settings, thus adding in a GSM carrier should make it work. I mean it's worth a shot and it'll save me the hassle of having to get a different phone but worst case scenario I'll just get an unlocked phone or Nexus 4.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

plester1 posted:

The TMo Note 2 is the SGH-T889, not the N7100. You need 1700mhz support unless you want to render it a dumbphone on their data network.

I'm not finding out much about that model and I'm surprised it's not listed on GSMarena. In any event it's looking to be more of a task than I'd prefer and may just end up selling it and jumping ship to a new phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So T-Mobile's prepaid data coverage is pretty spotty in my area, wondering thought if Straight Talk or Net10 utilize their prepaid data network or their postpaid ones? Comparing T-Mobile's 3G/4G coverage maps (pre-paid vs post) it's a pretty clear which is better in my area.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

point of return posted:

I'd be surprised if Tracfone's brands used T-Mobile's postpaid data network.

As would I upon further research. The caveat I'm dealing with is either buckle down to Straight Talk or Net10 on AT&T and face a cap of 1.5gb, or T-Mobile with no cap but poo poo coverage. Makes me wish CDMA had better options for data users. Also the whole AT&T sim card debacle.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

There's no hard cap on Straight Talk, only Net10. Straight Talk's cap is a soft cap around 2-5gb per month depending where you live.

Oh really? I figured it'd be both but hey that's better news. Think it's possible to purchase a Straight Talk phone from walmart, cut the sim down and fit into a Nexus 4?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

SB35 posted:

Yeah, of course this is possible. Some walmarts actually have SIM cards to be sold seperately (though I, personally, have never seen them).

Now only if there was a way to tell what radios these phones had so I know if they're using Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T sims...

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

NJD2005 posted:

Bottom left corner of each box they will say it (GSM is T-Mobile, GSM-A is ATT, CDMA is Sprint, CDMA-V is Verizon).

Awesome, thank you!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Nabbed the last AT&T Straight Talk phone from Walmart tonight, I'm assuming I can port my number to it by starting a new account and freely swap the sim from phone to phone, I've got a Nexus 4 coming tomorrow and wouldn't mind getting service set up beforehand.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Athenry posted:

Net10 was only showing Tmobile SIMs for a while but now has ATT again. So hopefully give it some more time.

It's still showing T-Mobile for me and I'm not seeing AT&T's name anywhere on the site.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Think it's possible to buy a Net10 one and activate it on StraightTalk? I'm thinking not but StraightTalk got me off to a pretty rotten start. Their site has been hit or miss for me lately and when I signed up a few nights ago with a phone kit I bought I chose to port my number in but was never given the screen to enter my previous account info, so instead they gave me a new number... Not sure if they'll be able to do it anymore and I feel like I wasted $45.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I'm wondering with T-Mobile LTE probably coming at the end of the month if this will extend their prepaid coverage a bit. With this whole Straight Talk AT&T ordeal I would be happy to get on the T-Mobile bangwagon if it expanded their coverage.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

It's one of their standard plans, I'd bet on the $30 4G plan going away sooner.
I'm willing to bet this too as there isn't a link to their Monthly 4G Plans anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

hotsauce posted:

Potentially silly question, but do the "iPhone" advertised Straight Talk AT&T micro-SIM kits work with the Nexus 4? I would think so, but making sure before I drop a rapey price on the SIM.

Looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300886905562

I have the $30 T-Mo plan, but man the coverage where I am for the next few months is terrible. EDGE almost immediately after driving out of town for 5 minutes. It's worth the $15 premium to have a usable phone.

Yeah, there is no difference between an iphone's micro-sim slot and the Nexus 4's. They use the same sim card and you can swap them just fine, just have to edit APN settings to get MMS and/or data working on Straight Talk. That's also the cheapest price I've found on AT&T sims.

• Locked thread