Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

hotsauce posted:

Thanks. Just ordered one. I am under the assumption that even though Straight Talk/AT&T are in a tiff, I can still activate this and maintain it for as long as I want? I guess with prepaid, AT&T can pull the plug at any moment...but I hope not.

Yeah people are still currently able to activate their sims no problems, it's just finding them is the tough part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

z16bitsega posted:

My Sprint contract will be thankfully be expiring in about a month and a half and I'm looking at my options. I average about 180 minutes a month, 3-400 texts a month, and 300mb of data most months, but up to a couple gigabytes on months when I travel a lot. Right now I'm comparing between Virgin, T-mo, and Voyager.

On the T-mo $30 a month plan (100/unlimited/unlimited), does anyone know what the overage rate is for minutes over 100? I looked but couldn't find it on their website.

Does anyone here use Voyager? I like that I won't have to buy a new phone, but can't find any reviews of them by people who use it.

I apologize if any of this has already been covered in the thread- I looked, but it's a big thread.

What about Ting? You basically pay for what you use and in your case around $27 tops (based on your usage). I really like their model and am going to stick with it for a while.

Edit: Oh and you can most likely bring your current phone over there if you still like using it.

cage-free egghead fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 3, 2013

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

I've been with Ting for over a month now and unless something similar for AT&T or Verizon comes out, I don't think I'll be leaving them anytime soon. I wish more companies would make a more competitive usage-based service like these guys.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

Abu Dave posted:

I really wish ST would get AT&T Micro sims back. Literally no other MVNO works at my house or area. I can make calls fine on T Mobile, but they don't allow mobile data roaming, which sucks. Perhaps this new AT&T GoPhone will work but who knows.

Just use Net10, same exact service as ST except they tell you right off the bat that you have 2.5gb of data, where as ST doesn't tell you that.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

Athenry posted:

Note its 1.5gb of data on net10 with an ATT sim. I just activated mine on a nexus 4. I'm getting better reception on ATT than I was on a verizon gnex. I'm pretty happy (and saving $40 a month)

Errrr yeah 1.5gb. Even so, for $45/month it's a pretty good deal unless you want to try out GIVmobile or Ptel (2gb at high speeds) for $50/month.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

So, AT&T launches their new revamped prepaid plans. $60 gets you unlimited minutes and messages and 2gb of LTE-capable data. Pretty solid deal. I can't remember if it uses standard roaming or what that deal is.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

Duckman2008 posted:

They very likely use GoPhone coverage.

Which honestly isn't that bad after taking a look at it on their website. I'm going to jump on it and give it a whirl as Net10 left a sour taste in my mouth.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

So apparently Net10 removed their 1.5gb cap for AT&T sims, changing back to unlimited (no tethering of course). Refillmobi has the $50 refill card for $40 so I might hop back on there and save $20 from the AT&T GoPhone plan I'm on.

https://www.google.com/search?q=net...chrome&ie=UTF-8

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

TLG James posted:

Anyone know if you've lapsed, can you do this? Or do I need to active my account again, then pay the 50 bucks for a month... then this?

That's what I was wondering, also pissed they don't accept anything other than Paypal.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?p...apcode=consumer|financial

AIO Wireless will be nationwide mid-September 2013. If you sign up before Step 29, 2013, your third month will be free.

Unlimited talk+text with 7gb of data for $70 with LTE? drat, that's a pretty solid deal.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

Republic Wireless (the Sprint MVNO that has the hybrid Wifi calling) is going to be selling the Moto X starting in November at $299 off contract.

http://www.republicwireless.com/moto-x-faqs

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

Uthor posted:

Very interesting. I don't have WiFi at work: how are they about streaming videos (Netflix and YouTube)? Yes, it says unlimited data on WiFi, but what about on 3G/4G?

They go off the honor system and ask that you use wifi whenever possible, they obviously don't want you to abuse the unlimited data but will take action if you repeatedly do.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

tonic posted:

Pulled the trigger and ordered an AIO sim for my HTC One. Kind of strange that you have to pay for a month of service (+ the $10 sim fee) even though it's prepaid service. I ordered my SIM early in the morning yesterday and it already shipped out. Will post trip report here in Nor Cal.

That is what every prepaid service is. You pay for the upcoming month that you'll use.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

FISHMANPET posted:

Maybe we're seeing the downfall of the 2 year contract in front of our very eyes.

With T-Mobile's Uncarrier plans and the introduction of Jump, Next, Edge, etc I do believe we are starting to see this more. Plus with some awesome new MVNOs, I think this is what it will finally take to get Verizon and AT&T to lower their plans.

Also, FreedomPop (Sprint MVNO who was popular with the hotspots a while back) introduced a free-for-life plan if buy their lovely Evo Design, or $11/month for unlimited calls and text.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

So depending on this AT&T acquisition of Leap, AIO may shut down haha

http://www.channelpartnersonline.co...to-cricket.aspx

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

The Entire Universe posted:

Is it Sprint's 3G only as the fallback? Or will it use LTE as well?

If you go for their $45 plan you can use 4G when you're in coverage.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

goku chewbacca posted:

My only concern is that the Wifi calling modifications (just to the baseband?) and the locked bootloader will mean delays for getting the KitKat and subsequent OS upgrades.

I guess it's good that they're only supporting 3 devices atm. Hopefully that can mean faster updates.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

Ordered the Republic Wireless Moto X just now, super pumped to get it. I've been on AT&T GoPhone for the last 6 months but money is tight and their $10/month plan is perfect for me. If anyone is in the market for a AT&T Note 2, I've got one in great condition.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

hotsauce posted:

Is the Moto X on Republic Wireless a completely terrible idea? I ordered one fully expecting to return it within 30 days. Just want to try it out as I may be able to live with the cheap plan since I have my work paid for Verizon iPad with me at all times. Free LTE and hotspot may equal an epic cost savings as it's essentially Verizon coverage for the price of a hamburger/month.

Even though I live in a bad area for Sprint data coverage, it really depends on what you need for data while you're outside of WiFi. I believe their voice and messaging coverage is sufficient to most people, but data coverage and speeds are the reasons why Sprint is bad. I went with the $10/month plan and honestly for that price I can forgive quite a bit. I don't need data when I'm out and about and 90% of my time is spent on WiFi anyways so my usage on their network will be next to minimal.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

So, I've been using Republic Wireless for the last month. I've been wanting to save a bit of money and thought the hybrid Wifi calling deal was awesome, as I'm on wifi 95% of my time as it is.

A month later and if things stay this way I'll be with them for a long while, especially if an easy root method comes out for the Moto X (which is a loving fantastic phone).

I'm on the $10 Calling+texting plan, calls sound great, Sprint coverage is good enough for that and I don't need internet when I'm out and about usually, but you can change up your plan on the fly.

Overall I am extremely satisfied for the value of this plan, even the $25 or $40 plan are awesome deals if you get decent Sprint data coverage.

I've got a referral link if anyone wants $19 off their first bill.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

Venkmanologist posted:

I've been toying with this idea since they started carrying the Moto X. I have massive debt I'm trying to clear out and looking to minimize costs in all areas of my life, so it seems to be a good fit.

On the other hand, I was on Sprint way back in the day and it was loving terrible reception everywhere.

Is the Moto X on Republic Wireless up to 4.4 yet?

4.4 is slated for early 2014, keep in mind they have a custom rom built in to the phone for their hybrid service, so updates will be a bit behind everyone else unfortunately. Also, you should check Sprint's voice coverage, as it's worlds better than their data.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

NNick posted:

For Straight Talk, can I buy a AT&T Sim Card from a AT&T store and set up the phone online? Or do I need to order their starter kit with their specific sim card?

IS AIO any different?

It needs to be a Straight Talk sim card, either from WalMart or from their website.

AIO is owned underneath AT&T and has a few different roaming privileges IIRC but otherwise is a similar service.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

Venkmanologist posted:

For those of you using the Moto X on Republic Wireless, what version of Android is it running now?

My house has become a black hole of cell service for the past month (currently on Aio). Also, my friends absolutely refuse to join the modern age and use something other than SMS/MMS to text. So it looks like I'm gonna have to depend on my wifi for communicating at home.

4.2 still

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

FAUXTON posted:

I wouldn't touch straight talk with a ten foot pole. I got hosed out of my old phone number by Net10 and Straight Talk is the same crowd of motherfuckers under a different name.

I ported my number into ST, then out to AT&T, then into Net10 and then to GoPhone, and then to Verizon without issue. Now I will say their CS was awful, but they didn't do anything that ridiculous.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

Nevvy Z posted:

Crossposting from recommend thread because I hadn't found this one-

Has anyone tried republic wireless, scratch, or other "buy one phone, use wifi mostly" plans? I feel like the phone is a big investment if it sucks.

I had the Moto X on Republic for 3 months and loved it. For $10 you really can't go wrong if you don't need internet on the go. Sprint's voice coverage is fine and the handoff from Wifi went just fine. They do run a modified version of android so you're not going to be able to do custom roms and such, and you're missing out on 4.4 still. I had no issues porting over my number and the community is pretty quick to help out on the forums. The only downside imo is that they don't have reactivations yet so my X is just a paperweight until they turn that feature on.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

I'll see if I can whip something up this week or the next.

Edit: May need some help from some of the more common posters in this thread but I don't think it'll be too daunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Ready to eat me, sir!

You should upload that to a public googledoc

• Locked thread