Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
The 3D was indeed a gimmick, however that's the only thing Sprint advertised for it, so a lot of people figured it was the same as the original Evo but with a 3D screen, so sales were pretty abysmal. It also had very strong initial support from community devs, but most of them dropped it or don't really release anything public, so the aftermarket support is also quite poor.

It sucks because the hardware was actually very good, but the software side of things just sucked. It might end up in a better situation once an official ICS build is available, but I personally jumped ship to a Galaxy Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

• affordable
  • decent
  • AT&T service

Pick (at most) two.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Does anybody know what the prepaid offerings are like in the UK? It looks like I'm going to need to head to there for a few days to a couple weeks. Ideally, I'd like to get a SIM with a couple hundred minutes (including calls back to the US since it's a work trip and I'll probably have to call a few people back here) and a few gigs of data, but I know almost nothing about what's available over there. Does anybody know offhand what my options might be?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

TLG James posted:

Email? I just email my fiance.

Everybody I know (women included) either uses Google+ or Facebook for pictures. I know a lot of nerds, though. If it weren't for people complaining about Google Voice still not supporting it, I wouldn't even know MMS was still a thing. Hell, most of my friends don't even use SMS any more and just use Hangouts instead.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Parker Lewis posted:

Ah, that's too bad about the Nexus 5 camera.

I think I actually could just take my iPhone to T-Mobile, although it might end up being more expensive than if I paid my ETF, sold the 5S, and bought a ~$300-350 Android phone. It's looking like that might be my best option, although I would like to figure out a way to test the T-Mobile network ahead of time.

edit: In case it helps anyone else, it seems like the custom Republic Wireless firmware on the Moto X predates the changes that were made to fix the camera:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7353/moto-x-update-dramatically-improves-camera-quality

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-x-update-coming-t-mobile-version-improves-camera-quality

It looks like it was version 139.12.57 that included the camera fixes, and my Moto X is running 139.4.17.

Well, if you'd be willing to give the Moto X another shot, they'll be having them on sale in a couple days for $150 off the off-contract price. The T-Mobile version is basically the same thing as the GSM developer edition (except you don't get to keep your warranty if you unlock the bootloader), so if you get that off of Motomaker, you could take it to any GSM carrier.

https://plus.google.com/+Motorola/posts/7pBuo1GaxKu

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Geoj posted:

Are you actually on 3G or their non-LTE "4G" network (which is actually 3G HSDPA+)?

I know Sprint is bad but I didn't think they were that bad...

Up around Seattle, I get better speeds in the few areas where T-Mobile's service drops to EDGE than I did on Sprint's LTE. Sprint's service was tolerable for a while here, but it got really bad over the last year as they've started doing upgrades and just abandoned them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like it'll remain CDMA for a while as AT&T is required to honor all CDMA roaming that Leap had.

This isn't the actual text from the FCC (at least I don't think it is), but the exact phrasing is:

The article posted:

Honor existing CDMA roaming agreements that AT&T is assuming from Leap so long as it operates the CDMA network.

That makes it sound to me like they can turn off the CDMA network the day the transaction's finalized. They just have to honor roaming agreements until they do.

• Locked thread