Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I like my triumph.

Has a good community of ROMs behind it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Mister Fister posted:

I haven't checked out the ROM's yet though, is there a good stable ICS ROM that has everything working yet?

No camera support; the only working camera software is the froyo blob from the stock image, which is what all the existing ROMs are using. People have been loving with it, but that's been going on for a while, so it's a little hard to say if someone's going to have a eureka moment or not. There's a 'froyocream sandwich' rom (what I'm running now, actually) which is 2.x + ICS launcher + various other pieces of ICS + ICS theme.

The CM9/ICS rom is pretty nice other than that, but obviously camera support is a dealbreaker for a lot of people.

http://androidforums.com/triumph-all-things-root/

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

but will the HTC EVO V 4G still have a 3d screen?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I wonder what WiMAX speeds are like around here. If I'm going to drop $300 on a phone and lose my Triumph (which I probably will), I feel very conflicted about sticking with VM vs just getting a Razr Maxx and selling my soul to Verizon for 2 years. $70 a month still feels too steep to me for what I do, though.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

It's the same gimmick the 3DS uses, I just don't think it's especially practical for a phone. I'm a 3d nerd, though, so it's a slight value-add for me.

I'm going to be tempted to snap up one of these pretty quickly; if the speeds are significantly better that could keep me on VM, and I can toss my Triumph to my wife who is currently using a dumbphone.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

It sounds like posturing to me, but who knows. If they start banning rooted devices, I will switch carriers quickly, though. Where is the part about tethering? Tethering with EasyTether doesn't require root.

hotsauce posted:

Wait, do other providers "own" your content as well? That sounds pretty sketchy to me.
Welcome to the 2010s, this kind of thing is widespread.

Lowtax probably owns this post.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Rastor posted:

The EVO 3D has been made available on Virgin Mobile USA with a different name.

However, he said that "signal and 3G speed on VM leaves much to be desired", so my assumption is he wasn't looking for a VM recommendation.

the Evo 3D is 4g on the WiMax network though, no? Is there anywhere (BBY, etc) that I can get a device and return it 48h later if the speed sucks? I've been okay with the service on VM where I am, but it's mostly pretty slow. If the new phones were significantly faster, it's probably enough to keep me on VM for another generation.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I'm thinking hard about an HTC Evo V on virgin. What's the best phone I can get for $300 for t-mobile prepaid?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

My wife is currently on a tmobile pay-by-the-minute plan with a dumbphone. We're looking at smartphones and plans; I think the $30/month tmobile plan makes sense for her. I was hoping that I'd be able to just switch plans and pop the sim into a new phone, but the website won't let me select that plan.

Does anyone know what the easiest way to get an existing number w/tmobile onto the $30/mo unlimited data plan is?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I just failed to activate a t-mobile line on a new galaxy S multiple times. My guess is that the area code I wanted isn't actually available, but I had to go through two people (and the website) before I found someone who told me to try another one.

The 4G speed (3.5mbit by 2mbit) seems a lot better than what I'm used to from VM 3G (~1mbit). I'd been thinking about jumping to VZ, but I'm going to hold off on that until I see how the speed is in other areas I spend time in.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Aug 17, 2012

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

What model of phone do you have exactly? If by new Galaxy S on T-Mobile you mean a Vibrant (and yes, T-Mobile does still sell them new in retail stores), then that phone doesn't have full "4G" capabilities on the T-Mobile network. If you mean an S2 or S3, 3.5 is a little on the low end for metro area speeds (I get 12mb up/2down). Still, it's fast enough for Netflix or whatever else you're doing. Why on earth would you jump to Verizon if you're getting reasonable T-Mobile speeds?

Yes, it's a Vibrant, I think - "Galaxy S 4G" -- this was for my wife, and she wasn't concerned about being stuck on 2.2 or the speed (and was concerned about the camera, which is better than the exhibit.

If I go to VZ, it's because of overall better coverage. Speed is a lot less of a concern (though I've seen VZ 4g phones get upwards of 20mbit around here).

Other benchmarks show that phone as capable of more like 7mbit: http://phandroid.com/2011/02/10/4g-speed-tests-show-samsung-galaxy-s-4g-as-winner/

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I can buy an unsubsidized t-mo S III at BestBuy and activate it on the wal-mart plans with an activation kit from the t-mo site, right?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Goodbuy, VM Triumph, hello T-Mo Nexus.

Is it worth RMAing and then trying to resell my Triumph, or should I just shoot it?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

T-Mo's 4g in DC is a little spotty, but my service in NoVA is really good and overall I'm very happy that I decided to trial another pre-paid service before jumping back into the maw of Verizon. Grabbed a galaxy nexus off the play store, activation and setup was just as easy as this thread promised.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

I had no problem activating my nexus on t-mo with an activation kit, but I'm in some spooky status wasteland at this point. The phone works, but I have no account on t-mobile.com. As of a few days ago when I tried to create an account I got an error that said "your phone is in a status that prohibits this action, contact customer support". I did contact customer support and they assured me this would be taken care of promptly and that I'd get a txt. I never got a txt, so I just tried again, and now get an error that says "sorry, we don't recognize this as a t-mobile number".

Given that I can make & receive calls and use 4g, I'm not too fazed. Who knows, maybe I won't get billed! :v:

I've been having trouble getting the bittorrent protocol to work at all, either through easy tether or through the android uTorrent app. Not a big deal to me, but is that to be expected?

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 10, 2012

• Locked thread