Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Zero VGS posted:

No. It will be VM exclusive. It's a CDMA phone, not a GSM, which means it will never work with T Mobile or AT&T antennas. With an elaborate hack it could maybe work on Verizon. You'd better be sure you like VM first.

This is incorrect information, sir. All 4S handsets are exactly the same physically and have the same antenas, etc. They are all CDMA/GSM and just software locked. You have a snowflake's chance in hell VM would ever unlock it, but the phone itself would work on any carrier that supports a 4S at all.

PS: buying an unsub'd/unlocked iPhone from Apple and activating it on Straighttalk is the best bet for a prepaid iPhone. Or buy a used AT&T locked iPhone and use it on Straighttalk, that works too. The whole VM iPhone deal is hosed. Buy a locked phone for full unlocked price! Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

rear end Catchcum posted:

How does the porting process work on Straight Talk anyway.

You give them your phone number, account number, and PIN. Like any other port...

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

rear end Catchcum posted:

which is better in case you two ever separate anyway.

hahah

This actually happened to me. I was married and my wife and I had a shared plan. We switched carriers and it was cheaper at the time to have two separate accounts. WE DIVORCED WITHIN A YEAR. DON'T DO IT. (do it your wife is terrible)

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

LiquidRain posted:

And yes - you can indeed sell your phone when you're done with it to a Verizon or Sprint customer, as long as you disassociate the phone with your account first. :)

How is that possible? Sprint owns Virgin mobile and doesn't even allow their phones. Sprint and Verizon have never allowed each others phones. I realize you work for the company, but I think you're misinformed.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Tommy Wiseau posted:

Does T-Mo count data in a different way than Verizon? I was using 3.5 gig/mo. tops while w/ verizon, yet I've used 4.2 gig w/ T-Mo in just 3 weeks. I can't imagine how my data use has changed that much, maybe downloading my apps from Play Store, but would 100 apps really add up to 1 gig? :iiam:

I have single apps that are about a gig, games obviously, but still. 10MB each isn't that much for apps, you probably used more than a gig on those if it was all over 3G.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Schubalts posted:

You can look at Wal-Mart, but I think they only sell SIMs online.

It's definitely only online. As of a month ago anyway.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Ordinaire posted:

Is there any update on the BYOD deal for Ting? The website says phase 1 of beta testing should begin soon, but I'm getting very eager to switch. I'm tired of having basically no data connection from T-mobile. (GPRS only! :suicide:)

It only works with Sprint phones.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
My girlfriend tethers on ST and they have never said poo poo. She also only uses ~1GB total a month so there is that. She just uses the built in tethering on her Galaxy Nexus too, not some poo poo that hides it. She only ever tethers her iPad to it though, so maybe that's why they don't notice. Still looks mobile? Who knows. Anyway, they won't cut you off just for the sake of it. They do make money off you if you aren't being a cock.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm gonna be in the US for a month and want to get a prepaid plan to use for that month (I really just need/want mobile Internet). I have a(n unlocked European) GSM iPhone 5. Just saying it's European because I understand the iPhone 5s in America have different radios or whatever? Anyway I'll be splitting time between Las Vegas and Phoenix. The $45 straight talk plan seems perfect for me but I'm not sure which towers I need to go with.

100% use AT&T towers with an iPhone. TMobile supports 3G on iPhones in SOME areas, but extremely spotty even in the ones it does.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

ThermoPhysical posted:

According to the TOS section I posted, you can't tether to laptops or desktops (??).

...Maybe they just don't want people tethering to traditional computers as they potentially pull more bandwidth than mobile devices?

I don't know because that rep on YouTube (who also posts on ST's Facebook) states that tethering of ANY kind is prohibited...but the TOS kind of dances around it.

I'm saying it's against their TOS, they just don't care if you aren't abusing it. Why would they not want to make money?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Boris Galerkin posted:

Ok, looks like that's what I'll do. Can I order nano SIM cards from them or will I need to cut my own?

Fake edit: it seems the two gsm versions of the iPhone only really matter for LTE if I'm reading this right, and it doesn't look like I can get LTE from a prepaid service anyway.

No idea why no one else is responding to you, but you'll have to cut your own. They only offer mini (regular) and micro (like the 4S) sim cards currently.

Yeah, no LTE so it doesn't really matter what 5 you get. They should all work on AT&T HSPA+. If I were you I would probably try to get the AT&T 5 just because who knows maybe someday they'll have prepaid LTE, but that is an incredibly unimportant reason. There is also the fact the AT&T one will work on ST even if it's locked though. So either an AT&T, Verizon, or completely unlocked one should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

blargle posted:

Anyone with Straight Talk able to forward calls from their SIM card number to their Google Voice number? I could then use GV to filter out all the crazy people who call the SIM number.

None of the prepaid carriers allow forwarding really. ST doesn't anyway.

• Locked thread