Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

nougatmachine posted:

So it seems like if I want to get my AT&T number ported over to the T-mobile prepaid $30/month plan, I'll need to call them up? I can't just port it as part of the online activation? That's pants. I was hoping to do the port online, late at night, so the limbo period would be restricted to the times when I'm not getting phone calls anyway. But if I have to call them and that's restricted to business hours, well, blah.

Also very interested in this, currently I am using an old, off-contract dumb-phone with an AT&T plan and I was planning on either ordering a Tmobile phone online or grabbing one at Walmart for the $30/month plan provided I can just do the online activation and porting of my number over. Then I can just cancel my AT&T plan and throw my old phone away, at least thats what I was planning.

Any reason this won't work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

nougatmachine posted:

So it's definitely possible to port to t-mobile prepaid solely online? Awesome. Don't know where in the thread I got the impression otherwise.

It sounds that way. I went to a few different Walmart stores near my house yesterday in search of one of those $330 Galaxy S2's(which appear to be quite hard to find, the employees at each location told me they only get one or two units in stock at a time) and when I asked the employees how I would go about porting my number over, they said you can do it online when you create your account/activate your prepaid plan. One thing to note is that your old plan/the phone number has to be active at the time when you port it over, once its ported you can then cancel your old plan.

Think I'm going to end up grabbing one of those $179 Exhibit 4Gs(/w $50 Prepaid) since the $330 Galaxy S2 is going to be so hard to come by. I figure I will probably just be able to buy a Galaxy S2 or something better after 6 months or so with the $170 I'm saving by getting the Exhibit.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

fack you posted:

So I received the T-Mobile SIM card activation kit and attempted to activate online twice and select the spergy $30 unlimited text and data plan, but the last step gives me the following bizarre error right before the last step:

"We’re sorry, we’re still working to process your activation. Please wait a few moments and then try navigating to another web page. You should receive a text message to your device when your activation is processed."

I called Customer Service and they said because I have an existing current T-Mobile number (I am long out of contract though) I have to get the activation kit at Walmart for that promotional plan. Does that sound right? I guess I'm glad the activation kit was only a dollar...

When I just activated my $30 plan and ported my number over there was a little asterisk under the $30 plan button that said something like *New activations only. Maybe its because you're trying to port over an old Tmobile number? I think someone mentioned something about that in this thread earlier, where if you have an old Tmobile number you have to port it to another carrier and then port it back when you activate the $30 plan. Although if the customer service rep told you that you would with the activation kit from Walmart that might work as well and probably be easier/cheaper.

The number does have to be currently active/working as well, you mentioned being out of contract but the number is still active correct?

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 19, 2012

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
I also recently just activated/set up my $30 unlimited plan via the website with absolutely no issues at all. Maybe it has something to do with the autopay option because I did mine with one of the prepaid cards and it worked great, only took 8hours or so for my number to be ported over from my old at&t plan as well.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

Rascyc posted:

Is there a trick to the t-mobile refill page? I haven't had to do this in awhile but trying to pay by credit or e-check has pretty much failed at every corner I've turned. I don't remember it being this broken before.

[e]Erk, just read the previous page. Looks like I'll just have to call them and get prepared for some hazing.

There website/store/refill service seems to have lots of issues, one day its working perfect then its down completely the next or one part of it is functioning while the others are not. I had to go to a 24hour Walmart last night at 2am to buy a refill card because their debit/credit refill service was not functioning at all, but the refill card redemption part was working just fine.

Think that's just something we have to deal with/work around for now, hopefully they get it consistently working eventually.

Edit: VVVVV Which one are you guys buying from Callingmart to use with the prepaid plans? Thats the only reason I didn't try buying from them yet is because they have like 3 different cards listed on the site and I cannot tell which one(s) are meant for the prepaid plans or if it even matters?

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Callingmart releases codes everymonth for at least 5% off their already slightly dicounted refill cards if you want to try and save some more money. They just posted the codes for this month on their FB and twitter as well I believe, snagged myself two $50 T-Mobile refills for $93.50.

• Locked thread