Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FranklinPCombs
Jan 27, 2005

Maybe your old man’s just a little bit cooler than you thought he was
I'm not a heavy talker, texter, or web browser on my phone, but I would like the option, I like freedom from contracts, am cheap as hell and like the coverage I get from AT&T.

I want to try the $30/mo. 1,000 minutes/1,000 text/30MB plan from StraightTalk, with this phone: http://www.jr.com/lg/pe/LG_P509BK/ . I like the idea of being able to get a SIM card from StraightTalk, and if it doesn't work out, I could use this phone with T-Mobile as well (right...?). I really just want the most basic I can get, and seeing as how I haven't gone over 1,000 minutes OR 1,000 texts ever since having a phone, and am going to be in a place most of the time that has WiFi, I don't see too much wrong with this idea.

I just wanted to run it buy the collective wisdom of others first who might have any words of warning, &c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FranklinPCombs
Jan 27, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

It's easier to work around the 100 minutes of the other $30 plan than it is to try the 30mb poo poo.

Ah ok. This is why I liked the option though, because there's the flexibility to switch between plans if I don't like what I have. Sure it would be a waste of activation fees or SIM card fees or whatever I'd have to pay, but the fact that I can get a new plan without having to worry about ETFs and contracts...

The way I'm seeing it is that it's an upgrade in phones over what I have now, the cheap-o plan is probably all I'd need, and even if it's not, the ST $45/mo. plan would still save me a couple hundred dollars over 2 years (including the price of the phone) and I don't even have data right now!

The beauty of no contracts!

edit: On second reading what I took from your post was that maybe I should go with the T-Mobile plan to start (limit my voice minutes, not my data) and work from there. This makes sense, and is duly noted.

FranklinPCombs fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 15, 2012

FranklinPCombs
Jan 27, 2005

Long Francesco posted:

Whatever it is that you decide to do, do not buy that phone. Find a cheap used nexus s or something. Anything but that phone.

Haha, ok. You've got me on the hook, would you care to go into this just a bit more?

• Locked thread