Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Apparently Nebraska murdered GSM's family, friends, and pets, then burned their houses down and danced on the ashes. No GSM carriers have service here in any appreciable quality, not even in Omaha where a good half the state lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

Can the Nexus 4 do international texting on ST GSM? My friend has ST CDMA with the LG Optimus Q and he can do it (as the website states) but I don't know if they allow it on GSM ST because it doesn't say much at all about their GSM side.

I would assume it's kosher. What would prevent texting to international numbers?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

I don't know but apparently ST has an active block on it that only two CDMA phones can do it for free. He has a friend that moved to Australia and can text him freely on ST CDMA.

That's odd. I wonder if you can get around that with GV integration, if need be. Not entirely sure, though, since I don't know if Voice replaces your SMS with sending data to Google, who then sends the SMS, or if it's something where it still gets routed through ST when outbound and GV when inbound, with the app just serving as record keeping. That's assuming you can even integrate GV on ST.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

GV only seems to integrate completely on Sprint's postpaid. I'm sad about this, but to save $40/mo, I will live.

Another problem is, I don't think GV does international anything because it doesn't even recognize Puerto Rico. I can text my friend from PR all I want on the stock messaging app on Android on my NS4G and due to the integration, it'll show up on the GV app/website, but I can never respond. GV will claim it can't send to international numbers.

I think, with GV integration, it replaces your SMS with data and sends the SMS as the SMS you sent never shows up in the official Messaging app. I'm not sure how it'll work without integration...never tried that.

Bah. Oh well. I ported my number from Sprint to GV a while back, it's just one of those kinds of phone numbers that's easy to remember. Sure, I never get MMS and people are bewildered when I send them because it comes from my Sprint number, but it's nice.

Sprint's still headed for the shitter for me, though. Maybe in like 2 years when they remember Omaha exists and light the place up with LTE I'll return but it'll still be an issue of Nexuses not being Sprint phones due to fuckery.

On the other hand, if T-Mo makes an effort to expand coverage here I'd be on them in a heartbeat. They have HSPA+ 42, but from everything I see on maps, I'd end up roaming the vast majority of the time because it's so spotty.

E: if you look at the top cities by population in the US, Omaha's ahead of a bunch of markets they've rolled LTE out to already, like both M&SP in MSP, Miami, Wichita etc.

It's frustrating. Why Omaha gotta be the redheaded stepchild?

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 13, 2012

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

I noticed that, if you change the APN name, the phone will display it as your carrier.

I was wondering, if I don't want "Straight Talk" as my APN name, could I just put whatever I want? I've noticed some ST users around the net having "Home". I wouldn't mind just putting AT&T or Sprint or whatever to freak people out.

I'm just not sure if it has to 100% match with what ST has on their site (which is "Straight Talk").

How is your service with ST, anyway?

My father turns out to have had ATT on his ipad last time he visited and said he was able to get a decent signal and decent speeds whenever he needed.

I'm currently visiting him in FL right now (went to the beach today ) and Sprint is absolute poo poo. I mean, loving terrible. This exurb sprawl poo poo is for the birds, it's goddamn 20 minutes drive to anywhere of importance and my phone turns into a handwarmer en route.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Sprint does not actually have 4G in Tampa. Was strolling around downtown (around the university/river/park near the police building) earlier and never once picked up 4G.

Visiting family down here is really pushing me towards jumping ship to prepaid+N4 on an ATT/TMo MVNO (Likely Straight Talk). Both my father and his wife have T-Mo phones, and my father's got an iPad with an ATT SIM in it, none of which drop signal. Sprint's coverage is just so loving bad here. I have the extended battery in my GNex, and the god damned thing loving dies in 6-8 hours from a full loving charge. I mean, I can't fault Sprint too much for having this weird desire to stick to civilized areas (he lives in the sprawl way North of Tampa where we have to take a loving toll road to go anywhere worth going) but I have never seen them fail to provide at least workable service. Here I've repeatedly gotten an empty triangle in the signal indicator. Not the grey no-bars symbol, but a line drawing of a triangle indicating absolutely no signal whatsoever, as though I might as well have been deep in goddamn NORAD or a loving mineshaft somewhere. I could see weak/thin/sluggish coverage in this exurb sprawl bullshitland, but nothing whatsoever? Sprint, you're better than this, but if you're getting out-covered by T-Mo, maybe we need a heart-to-heart.

I often wonder if there's an unpursued antitrust violation where the Big 4 have been colluding to stay out of each others' way across the CDMA/GSM divide in the boonies. Sprint covers the Omaha suburbs pretty well, whereas ATT/T-Mo don't, yet it's reversed down here in Spring Hill (FL) with Sprint being non-existent and ATT/T-Mo running the table. Considering they get paid regardless due to roaming agreements, it's feasible. Despite it being as all hell as it is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Stick100 posted:

One thing that's too bad is every time you get a new prepaid sim you get a bunch of calls and texts for the old owner for a couple months.

That part I'm concerned about if only because of how prepaid has a higher incidence of people who would have folks like collections agencies and whatnot calling. But I imagine that's an unlikely situation given that prepaid's becoming a little more high-profile, they wouldn't be so prevalent if people weren't flocking to them like office fatties to free pastries. You've still got people who hit a rough patch, but you also get people who just got sick and tired of carriers acting like a bunch of Jersey preschoolers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Stick100 posted:

Yup! Every time you get a new Sim you get a decent amount of collections calls/angry ex boyfriends. I swear every prepaid Sim is owned by an Allison or Andrea with finance/boy issues. As I said you can just switch to never answering unrecognized numbers and then calling back based on the voice mail/adding the contact.

Well the boy stuff isn't always a function of financial stability (unless you're looking at someone whose whole life is a disaster and they have problems in general) but yep, I'm slightly concerned. On the other hand, a lot of fun can be had in the relationship by texting the offending caller about just finding out you're HIV positive or how the police came looking for them.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

TLG James posted:

Any of the Omaha Sprint refugees actually switch to ST?

Not yet. ThermoPhysical is in possession of a ST ATT SIM, but is pending an N4 for actual use. I am waiting for said trip report.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

hotsauce posted:

Tinfoil hat time.

I use GV for my calls on the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan. I was taking with my wife today (called her on my GV line) and didn't touch the phone. It was sitting in my car console and I was on bluetooth (connected to my car).

About 3 minutes into the conversation, I mentioned an assault rifle I was thinking about buying. An AK-47 (hysteria purchase pending the "ban"). A few seconds after saying this, I heard "Your call is now being recorded" or something like that.

I know you can record calls with GV, but I also know you have to press a key on your phone to turn it on. I didn't press anything, it automatically started recording.

The wife asked "why are you recording this?" and I didn't have an answer.

I know this isn't necessarily prepaid chat, but since many prepaid TMo users use GV, I thought I'd post it here. Anyone else ever had their conversation recorded automatically, without pressing a single button? I mean it really felt like I said a magic word (assault rifle?) and the NSA or some poo poo started recording...again, tinfoil hat and all, but what the christ?

The NSA might act outside the law very often but they sure as hell wouldn't compromise wiretapping paranoid gunbunnies.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Cromlech posted:

Would there be any goons in Sterling, IL on AT&T towers posting up here? My friend lives way out there, and his workplace is literally 3 blocks out of the range of 3g on the coverage map. Are the maps rough estimates, or could are they that cut and dry?

He really wants the Nexus 4, and he gets 3g everywhere but his workplace so it's a major decision for him.

Forgot to clarify, he's on Straight Talk. He can't really switch to a CDMA provider that has guaranteed coverage because good Android phones cost an arm and a leg unsubsidized. Come on, Google, make a CDMA Nexus 4!!! (yeah right)

CDMA phones do not work outside the US because other countries sat around and decided it was best for the private development of telecommunication services that they skip the balkanized, pre-ATT-breakup method of locking the hardware to the service provider.

Here in the US it was seen as a good idea to give it another try just to make sure they make a good try at discrediting universal interoperability requirements.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

I've heard many things about AT&T's Straight Talk proxy.

I've heard that, if you remove it, they won't be so quick to throttle or boot you because they can't track you as well, I've heard it actually makes SpeedTest.net's app work on Straight Talk if you remove it, I've heard that removing it speeds up your speeds quite a bit and ST won't/can't do anything about it.

I'm not sure what's true and what isn't about it though.

Whatever it is, it's miles better than Sprint. I'm halfway to just saying gently caress it and making the switch without looking. Between Sprint taking a massive nosedive in speeds the past couple/few months and my work wifi getting clamped down on by Google (turns out because a good part of what many of us do involves searching the internet Google thinks we're a bunch of DDoS scripters or some poo poo, meaning whenever I'm on wifi poo poo like push notifications don't work and any searches have a captcha) the $90-ish monthly for unlimited dialup that only works outdoors and thinly at that is not really being the bargain it was originally.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.wowt.com/factfinders/hea...-183711171.html

This story just came on WOWT in actual news form (I think they recycled it, to be honest ).

Anyway, according to Consumer Reports (and some Omaha people, I suppose), Straight Talk is the most popular prepaid service in Omaha.

Honestly, I'd say switch. It may be cheaper to pay your ETF rather than your actual bill. When I move my phone to Google Voice, my ETF will be $50 but my bill will be $80.

Eh, it'll pay itself off without a doubt, but my ETF is under the new rules and my contract is up in early 2014. I'm sort of stuck with a big ETF for a while. I'm moving (within midtown) in the summer so hopefully I'm not moving somewhere where the only signal I have is roaming and I only find out when Sprint breaks my contract for excessive roaming because I updated my podcasts over 3G while waiting for Cocks to migrate my cable over. I wouldn't get charged an ETF that way but I sure wouldn't want that to happen so suddenly or cause such a persistent battery drain.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Nexus 4 works like a charm. However, I'm unable to get data working for some reason.

I had to use these settings for MMS as the normal ones didn't work.

http://wirevalley.com/ultimate-apn-...k-with-android/

Anyone know how to get data to work?

I fixed it! Use the instructions provided by ChazzMatt here:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthr...t-program/page4

I'll post a report in a few days for the Omaha goons after I get used to the phone. Still loving it so far!

Oh poo poo oh poo poo ohshit. Can't wait to hear the trip report on this. Q4 bonuses coming down the pike and Sprint is more embarrassing by the day (it has trouble loading my Starbucks app data. As in I open the app and it just shows a blank card like it wants me to link a new card number. Took a couple minutes of looking like a jackass in the drive-through waiting to pay this morning, thanks Sprint) so I'm dying to jump ship.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just finished a call but I wasn't able to stay connected to HSPA+ until I disconnected. Is Straight Talk able to do this while on AT&T or is that a postpaid only feature?

Eh, it may be. It would seem more like a phone thing or an HSPA+ thing, though. Would they be able to make sure from their end a phone can't use both at once?

Also I think I may be roaming now, like all the time nonstop. I sure hope Sprint doesn't think poorly of it, because it seems like all of my 3G use is roaming.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

I pay $90 a month for Sprint's 'everything data 450' plan. What I get is 450 minutes talk (with Sprint's generous rules on what doesn't count I use like 20 mins a month) with unlimited SMS and unlimited data that's probably on par with the throttled data T-Mo gives you after you use up your allotment. Ninety loving bucks monthly for that, that's after a 19% discount through work.

Even if I pay $60 monthly after taxes for straight talk I'm saving some $360 yearly, which is a little more than the cost of a N4 16gb from Google, sans shipping/tax.

So yeah, save enough to get a drat good phone, new, yearly, or get strapped down over a barrel and sodomized by Contract Satan.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

You'll be pretty loving happy on HSPA/HSPA+, to be honest. I tried N4/ST out on Saturday at the Kmart on 50th and L, that place is a black hole for signal on Sprint. The Nexus 4 and Straight Talk (AT&T) handled it like a pro. I only saw EDGE once and that was when it was disconnecting from the call I made.

I browsed websites that had no mobile version, websites with a mobile version, the Awful Betamax app, and messed with Google Now on both devices. I ended up using 33.22MB of HSPA+ on the Nexus 4 but 5.96MB on the Nexus S 4G.

Both the Nexus S 4G and Nexus 4 were at full battery (NS4G can only go to 95% but the N4 can do 100%) and the battery for both due to signal was pretty telling. The Nexus S came back home with 50% left after struggling to find and keep a signal while walking around, the Nexus 4 still had 70% left. However, the 4 ran out of battery quicker at home because I then had a bunch of calls

I think that SpeedTest.net's app is bugged on 4.2.x though. It claims I have no data at home or anywhere else but I can prove that wrong just by loading up Chrome or some internet-based app. I blame the fact that their stupid app looks REALLY ugly on the Nexus 4's screen.

A note, the phone doesn't look like it's on HSPA+ unless you're actually using data, then it'll jump to HSPA+15. As far as I'm concerned, HSPA+ = LTE. Omaha has never had WiMAX or LTE from Sprint so, to me, this is like LTE and I like it a lot.

I have yet to try midtown Omaha though but I'll probably get around to trying that sometime.

You're awesome and this is awesome. Hopefully midtown has good coverage as well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

powderific posted:

Really trippy coming into this thread and finding Omaha chat. When I first got my iPhone I was on Sprint and it was so painfully slow I couldn't even stream Spotify. Wound up returning it and switching to ATT, which has been great other than the price. I'm thinking about jumping ship from to Straight Talk at some point, but I'm worried about the data cap since I've been consistently encroaching on my 2gb over the past few months.

I'm not sure if there are any stated caps for data use on ST. I mean, it's well known that they do cap, but it's a weird kind of thing where it's secret. Maybe it's higher than 2gb, but I know I'd go over 2gb (on sprint right now) if I wasn't using wifi at work because I'd just be syncing podcasts over 3G back before Sprint went full retard.

Can't really stream over 3G on Sprint, so I feel your past pain. At least you switched. I know there are areas where I go on roaming and it's like someone flips a switch and I go from bad dialup to decent speeds.

It's pretty bad when you want to use nothing but roaming data because your domestic speeds are just so horrifically bad. It's even worse when you are close enough to the HQ of your carrier to make a day trip out of visiting, but have no ETA on the LTE rollout more specific than "by the end of 2013."

I wish they used Omaha as a test market. It's close, a manageable size, and a good enough combo of flatland, hills, and buildings to test signal characteristics. Alas.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

AT&T doesn't work at Creighton University Medical Center (aka St. Joe Hospital). Then again, neither did Sprint.

HOWEVER, I get perfect service in the lobby and outside, something Sprint couldn't do.

last time I was there I was only using my phone in the lobby, but I think it was on their wifi. Once I went upstairs I put my phone away and got knocked out, so I don't remember much outside of the billing lady telling me I didn't have to pay anything because my insurance is really good.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

I haven't used their wifi in years. Mostly because I rarely ever use public wifi. I need to set up my college's VPN again so maybe.

I was only there for an eye appointment and the 3G didn't work too well up on the 3rd floor. That was okay because I watched a movie instead. I got three hours of screen on-time at FULL BRIGHTNESS. Holy poo poo I love LCD screens. I even had a full day's worth of battery too.

Fuuuuuck. Three hours of screen time would kill a Gnex.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is good to know! Thanks for clearing it up!

Yeah, I'm thinking the language barrier would be a pretty big thing. They haven't called again though.

Unless it's honestly impossible to get GV set up with straight talk you could just block'em.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

LiquidRain posted:

Sorry, only Sprint branded phones are allowed. We're restricted: we sure don't care where the device comes from, but Sprint wants to protect the other MVNOs.

Are y'all looking at expanding into agreements with other carriers? I love the idea of your business model, but god drat am I totally through with Sprint

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

I wonder if anyone looking at jumping from, say, T-Mo to Ting would be willing to trade their unlocked GSM GNex for a Sprint one. Why anyone would go from T-Mobile's to Sprint's network is beyond me unless they've got LTE in their area.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

I have a family member who is vaguely considering the possibility of incurring over $1300 in ETFs from an 8-month old Sprint contract on 5 lines to bring them to Ting in February. Doing my best to temper this with "They might run out of money and then you'll be on the hook for those fees, even though you'd be paying close to $120 less monthly and it would be made up over the course of the year" but I think her main issue is that Sprint has no ETA on LTE arriving in Omaha and she's becoming increasingly disappointed in the slower-and-slower 3G speeds. On the other hand, paying less might make it more tolerable.

Stick100 posted:

I might be interested in that trade sometime in the short future.

That's awesome. I may be shifting off Sprint in the near future as I find I used almost 400MB of roaming data this month so they may not want me around so much.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 21, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

LiquidRain posted:

Yeah I don't think there's any guarantee she'll get that ETF pay-out before she cuts over, but on the other hand she might find it worthwhile to switch anyway depending on how quickly the switch works. Especially with 5 lines, there's a lot of opportunity for saving, since our billing model rewards that.

As for LTE, when a market lights up with LTE, we get it day and date with Sprint as well.

Yep, that's why I'm looking at switching to Ting if Sprint boots me over roaming. It's just easier that way. Paying $90 for lovely coverage/speeds or paying $50 for lovely coverage/speeds? JEEPERS MISTER CLEAVER THAT'S A DOOZY. As far as she's concerned, she likes the flexibility - no overages, just paying for the next bracket up, and on the flip you get credited for using less data than your bracket. I think she looked at it and was figuring under $90 monthly, versus well over $200 monthly currently on Sprint. She'd make up the ETF in a year even if none of her lines got into the giveaway.

5 phones, but a gigabyte of data would be a good 25% over their current combined usage. I haven't a clue how they do it since I use up more than that on my one phone every month.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

You're not going with the Nexus 4? Aw. Was hoping I wouldn't be the only person in Omaha with one.

Ah well.

Does Ting allow ALL Sprint phones and do they allow people to sell their Sprint phones? Looking to possibly unload my NS4G.

Think of Ting as a no-contract stepping stone to a Nexus 4 with me not having to finagle timing of receiving the phone, quitting Sprint, and starting ST. I can get off Sprint, go on Ting, and then wait for the N4 to get back in stock. When it does, I buy one and then move to ST.

I just don't want to pay Sprint an ETF if I'm already having issues with constantly using roaming data and they're going to drop me anyway. My ETF is rather large considering I renewed to get this GNex in April, and waiting a couple of months paying $90 to Sprint vs. 40-50 to Ting is better than paying the $200+ in ETF by just quitting now.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, that is true. I owe Sprint $50 + tax/Sprint fees (ugh) in ETF.

I'd say try it that way since Ting would pay the ETF.

Eh, I can just get out ETF free if this roaming issue keeps up. I sync podcasts and stream music and stuff over it while roaming and that's going to use up a lot of data

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

Play some YouTube videos at HD quality and roam around Chrome and Chrome Beta for about 2 minutes. That'll rack up TONS of data.

Back when I synced podcasts over 3G I rung up several GB of data per month. That would almost certainly get someone's attention

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

Bahaha. It should. I've only consumed 109MB of data on ST in one day so far. I blame Chrome and horrible websites not coded for mobile in ANY way.

I had a minor freakout but haven't been contacted or throttled or anything so far.

That's good. I mean, with 'normal' usage and WiFi at work (despite no push notifications ) I am right around a gig, maybe two if it's a heavy month. I can easily take the brakes off and guzzle several gigs. Right now I'm, I don't know, testing the response speed of push notifications on 3G versus WiFi, so I'm basically using nothing but 3G while at home, maybe something can come of it.

(Rooted means tethering so gently caress it, hog wild etc)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

Got a Cox outage. Have to use cellar data to connect and had to call Cox. Nice to see that the data and voice work at the same time unlike before at Kmart.

This is a pretty useful thing. The data is still pretty fast too.

Oddly enough, cable is still on but I'm in a complete service outage.

Oh hey sup cox outage buddy.

I get outages like this once every 1-2 weeks. I don't know what they do, but I honestly wish they'd stop being cocks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

3 days into the billing cycle and I've almost hit 700 megs of roaming data Sprint may hustle me out before the month is through.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Mr Newsman posted:

I don't think there's any MVNO that does LTE no matter which phone you have.

e: Looks like I misread the question.

Fairly sure Ting does.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

I honestly wonder how well T-Mo operates around Omaha. Coverage maps like sensorly leave much to be desired but it's probably due to them not actually offering service here (as in not taking on customers, they seem to have towers) and the signal data looks like it may be rather old.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

It doesn't operate at all. They only have a grand total of three towers; no more, no less.

I'm only getting a T-Mobile sim as they work better than AT&T where I'm going in Arizona.

Looks like I can pay about $42 or so to T-Mo and use their $3/day service and just stop paying then instead of paying ST $45 + a SIM card (which would round out to about $50+) for my vacation.

Well, poo poo. Was hoping for an alternative to paying ATT by proxy but I'm still fed up with Sprint more than enough to make the switch.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

It doesn't operate at all. They only have a grand total of three towers; no more, no less.

I'm only getting a T-Mobile sim as they work better than AT&T where I'm going in Arizona.

Looks like I can pay about $42 or so to T-Mo and use their $3/day service and just stop paying then instead of paying ST $45 + a SIM card (which would round out to about $50+) for my vacation.

Looks like they have t-mo prepaid cards at the 51st/center hyvee. Don't think its a SIM, but clearly a t-mo refill card.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Hence the name 'Straight Talk!'

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Bought non-N4 things with my bonus from work. Maybe Sprint will give me the ol' heave-ho by the time tax returns come in.

(On that topic, a misunderstanding of 'cost basis' has resulted in over-reporting my income by thousands and thousands of dollars in gains due to thinking it was cost per-share considering I was also reporting the number of shares. Consequently reporting the total cost this year has given me a much bigger return. )

E: I wonder if I call them and ask about my roaming use they'd start asking questions about how it's 3GB of roaming and only like 60MB domestic halfway through the month instead of just letting me out.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 13, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Long Francesco posted:

Of course it's hspa but it is throttled which is unfortunate. $45/mo for unlimited/unlimited/5gigs is still pretty good though.

Searching around it looks like people are only getting ~1mbps.

3-5x as fast as Sprint's 3G for half the price.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

I am the guy who's always roaming on my Sprint phone. It's maybe slightly faster than Sprint but it has odd moments where it just drops to zero bars and then creeps back up to 2, 3, 4, whatever it was before. Data doesn't drop out during that, though. It's weird, like a bad tower handoff (and given the fact that it's constantly roaming I would not be surprised if it was just a shaky handoff but I'm not a radio engineer).

The upside is that eventually (a few months, I've heard 3, 6, 5, etc) Sprint notices and lets you out sans-ETF. My phone says I used 5.8GB of roaming data this month, but that's from what the data usage thingie on my Galaxy Nexus tells me. It's probably around there, maybe as much as 6 GB. I can't really stream Netflix - it isn't quite fast enough, but browsing isn't a hassle, and downloading podcasts goes by pretty smoothly.

I would say if you're looking for faster 3G speeds you're probably not going to find it roaming. You do, however, get good coverage. There are spots where Sprint's down to 0/1 bars that get a steady 2-3 now.

e: huh, seems you can stream Netflix over it. just looks like butts after a few minutes buffering.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Feb 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Cuttlefish Party posted:

Ting says they are now able to activate LTE-capable Sprint-branded phones as part of their "bring your own Sprint device" program. Even if you don't have LTE coverage yet, this is nice because it lets you use a more up-to-date phone (e.g. SGSIII, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Note II) on Ting without having to buy the device directly from Ting at the unsubsidized price.

http://ting.com/blog/lte-sprint-dev...ow-come-to-ting

They ought to be goddamn allowing people to take those phones with them sans-ETF if they're in a 'eh, when we get around to it, what's an ETA?' area for network vision. The fact that I pay $90 monthly for the same horseshit service Ting resells at half the price is infuriating.

I know there isn't any roaming, and yes I know roaming a bunch gets you dropped from Sprint but I want that to happen faster.

• Locked thread