Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

After being able to make a call in places where Sprint wouldn't work and being able to switch carriers and take my phone with me, I don't think I'd go back to Sprint.

Well, that and Omaha, NE won't see Sprint LTE until 2014 at the earliest.

:lol: Oh drat that's a good one, like Omaha will ever see LTE. We're like coffee Dan Hesse made and forgot on the counter - by the time he remembers it's already cold and it's too late to drink coffee so it just gets dumped like it never happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

E: Speaking of T-Mobile...

I doubt it'd work well but I am awaiting your trip report on this :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What's up with Ting taking so long to port my Sprint number over? I'm stuck here with a non-working phone (well, I can use wifi) and no way to get an answer from Ting for the next 3+ hours.

e: It's been almost 13 hours.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 3, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

johnny sack posted:

So they have started to port your number, rendering your old phone useless, and leaving you with nothing until they complete the port? Cuz that sounds brutal.

When I ported my number to Google Voice, it took the better part of 2 full days. Granted, my phone still worked with Sprint during the port.

How the gently caress do you provision a device with two MSID's? I don't know either but Ting found a way! :stonk:

In the activation email and on the website, my phone is listed as having an MSID (Let's call it MSID 1) that can't even pull a profile update. However, when I do a carrier wipe/hands-free activation it pulls a second MSID (MSID 2) that only allows voice service and not data. After some hours with support (for which I will be staying with Ting even though this has been a nightmare - holy poo poo their phone support is SO loving GOOD. Maybe not elite phone hack0rz or anything but god drat are they diligent.) it turns out MSID 2 was enrolled 3 seconds prior to MSID 1, which was supposed to replace MSID 2 but didn't fully do so. So now, MSID 2 will get me voice service and will properly pull profile updates and PRL updates, but MSID 1 (which is on the website as being the MSID for my phone mind you) does not work with anything.

E: I guess that MSID sort of works with data. It'll indicate a 3G signal in the notification bar (on the RSSI icon) but it fails DNS lookups, a different error from 'no connection.' Also, I had a notification on the website that they suspended my device. Which is still active and which I used to call my work about an hour ago. :wtc: if it wasn't for the fact that I can feasibly blame Sprint and expect to effectively spammed with help I'd be livid. Instead I'm just rolling with it, so good job Ting, you made a frustrating situation something less frustrating despite increasing the complexity of the problem.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Apr 4, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ting fixed the problem with my phone, unironically best CS ever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tedronai66 posted:

Ordered me a Nexus 4. Even with Tmo's new unlimited everything as opposed to the 30$ plan (I need call forwarding and such), it'll still be 5-10 bucks cheaper than sprint was (providing coverage is actually good, I don't trust the maps much).

You could check out Sensorly, they have signal data collected from people who use their app.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Man, I hope that 'X Phone' Motorola and Google are apparently coming out with is worth skipping the N4 for. I'm just burning time on Ting, but leapfrogging the N4 since I/O is coming up.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

If the rumors are true, it's nothing but a smaller N4 built by Motorola. Even then, the new phones won't come out until around September at the earliest.

The date is actually a confirmation from Eric Schmidt himself. He actually said "the second half of 2013" but if it was anywhere near July or June, they wouldn't say the second half of the year. We'll most likely see it around the time of the new Nexus.

That's fine with me - I've had this unrequited love for moto's angular design since the Droid. Like hell I'd ever join Comcast Mobile Verizon.

E: given the likely price point I may as well just spring for the N4 and then flip it later. $600 phones these ain't.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, due to the price of the phone, honestly, I'd just go for the N4. There's no guarantee that Motorola will keep the price of the 4 for every single phone that launches with Google. Especially since they want these to go to the US carriers. They would never allow an unlocked phone to be cheaper than their on-contracts.

T-Mobile doesn't really count since they don't have contracts anymore. :v: I don't see Sprint, AT&T, or Verizon doing it however.

Now, the Nexus line may stay cheap but that's because it'll be GSM only until LTE matters in all countries.

Well, T-Mo did offer the N4 for something over $500 off-contract, so there's that :v:

Speaking of, how'd their service/coverage turn out to be? Nonexistent as expected?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tedronai66 posted:

Good news for sprints network: you get about double that speed now! (Non LTE)

*Not applicable to all areas.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="415182280"]
Tmobile
Pro: tmobile

Ting
Con: sprint

I haven't had T-Mo in years so their CS may have changed, but it was good circa 2006. Ting's CS is loving incredible, no joke. They're amazingly good.

Ting
PRO: Customer Service, innovative billing structure if you fluctuate in usage, LTE (where available), selling the HTC One.

CON: Spr---...data loading, please wait...---int. Low max data plan size(2GB) and depending on usage may be as expensive as a postpaid plan or more. Incoming call minutes are counted against your total. Is not sprint when it comes to google voice. No Roaming.

T-Mobile
PRO: T-Mobile speeds blast Sprint out of the water even on a good day. After throttling it's still as fast as an average Sprint 3G connection, according to users. Sim Card means higher resale value as you're selling a phone typically to a market of 2+ carriers versus one with a Sprint or VZW phone. This is where you can use international versions of phones (more or less) and thus get decent software update intervals (not really an iOS thing).

CON: I have heard their CS is so-so. Their speeds are not LTE fast, but you can expect at least a few Mb/s at all times. No Roaming.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 7, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boris Galerkin posted:

I see on the T-Mobile website they have this prepaid plan:

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

This is cheaper than Straight Talk and would be perfect for me for my two week trip to the US but I don't know how to buy it. Do I just go to a store or can I do it online?

drat, I wish t-mobile worked well in my area. Well, I wish I knew more about their coverage, that is. Their map shows my apartment in "Very Strong," my commute in mostly "Excellent" and "Very Strong" with a few blips of "Good." Work is in a big ol' fat "Excellent/Very Strong" area, and I'd have to make an effort to hit a place that's "Satisfactory," let alone 2G/no service.

How well does their service measure up to their map, if anyone's had much experience with them?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

God drat, they're a massive shitshow. They could have done the cool thing and not crippled the service but instead they decide it's better to sell less for more. gently caress you ATT indeed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If you're considering purchasing a Nexus 4 in the next couple days/week, hold off. Google I/O begins on the 15th and may have an announcement. It may simply be a Nexus 4 for carrier branding, it may be something better. It's worth waiting 5 days to find out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Because my N4 is arriving tomorrow (I decided gently caress it, they're $350 anyway and an appreciable amount comes back when I sell it) I should start looking into what carrier to go with. ST-ATT is tweaking out and probably not having ATT sims anytime soon, ATT's Aio ain't coming out to Omaha at any point on a human-perceptible timescale, T-Mobile in Omaha is apparently poop.

However, there's Red Pocket. If anyone has/had them, how are they?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Don Lapre posted:

AT&T ST sims should continue to work so just get one off ebay.

holy poo poo these are ripoff prices.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

It looks like Net10 and ST both use postpaid AT&T/T-Mobile. They also both roam.

I went with Net10's $50 plan. Bought the whole shebang at the target on 72nd. Dude there let me use his iPad to activate it and all. So far my only complaints are lag (holy poo poo its like Hitler runs their QoS prioritizing) and that there is fuckall for coverage in Dundee.

E: correction, the lag seems to clear up with signal strength. gently caress, I was able to stream Google music. Anyone who has dealt with Sprint's 3G can tell you how monumental it is to just be able to stream a loving song without making a goddamn day out of it. Downside to Net10: 1.5gb cap. Upside: That pack came with T-Mo and ATT SIMs.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 23, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

That might've been an issue with AT&T and not Straight Talk then. AT&T's not the best with signal all the time. That being said, it honestly sounds like you got hit by ST's random throttling for no reason.

Also, ST still uses AT&T cards, they just don't sell them anymore. The business deal going south doesn't have anything to do with any random speed issue, however. It was mostly due to how ST advertises unlimited data and AT&T isn't happy with it. They also are cheating AT&T on the selling of the iPhone, there's also the problem with AT&T just up and forcing Net10 to change their policy without telling America Movil why.

It's so surreal to hear local places mentioned on here. :v: Dundee has poo poo AT&T coverage, yeah. But the coverage is a LOT better than Sprint, I've noticed. Even out on the highways to Nebraska City.

The thing about the Target on 72nd is it's in a weird rear end spot. The data almost doesn't work and you might think you're being throttled but you wouldn't be. It's just...weird. As soon as you leave that area, it'd get a lot better. Even with full bars, I'd have odd data issues in that area.

I have yet to do any type of streaming on ST though. Hell, I rarely streamed on Sprint. I blame Sprint for this. I have downloaded and updated apps though and they go through just fine. The worst thing that uses the most data is Chrome, but otherwise it's all good.

Try the T-Mo SIM! :v:

Using the T-Mo Sim right now.

(On WiFi, waiting for the port to finish :v:)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

delfin posted:

Pennsylvania goons: I'm currently on T-Mobile and looked around at their data coverage should I choose to get a less-than-seven-year-old phone. Outside of little green blips around a handful of cities, PA data coverage between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia is a sea of 2G yellow. Any prepaid carriers likely to improve on that, as I spend a fair amount of time around Williamsport?

Also, I saw a previous pick-of-the-thread (Samsung Exhibit II) went down to $157 on clearance. Is it still a reasonable pick for that T-Mobile $30 plan or is it quite outdated by now?

You're probably looking at having either an ATT carrier (ST with a ripoff-price SIM from eBay, Net10, Red Pocket, ATT's Aio) or a Verizon one (I think ST carries Verizon, and Verizon has prepaid service but it seems pretty lovely)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lblitzer posted:

I've been with Ting for over a month now and unless something similar for AT&T or Verizon comes out, I don't think I'll be leaving them anytime soon. I wish more companies would make a more competitive usage-based service like these guys.

I'd leave Delorean-style fire skidmarks if someone made something like Ting on GSM.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

From what I've noticed about AIO, it's operating on postpaid AT&T coverage and the throttle doesn't hit me much since I only get 3 down on ST AT&T anyway so 4 down would be even better. :v:

I'm hoping it comes to Omaha at least.

It'll come to Omaha. It'll be the universe's very last pinch of energy and disorder succumbing to entropy as it arrives, but it will, as advertised, make it here.

So be sure to save the date.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

At least I'll maybe have a decent wireless carrier before oblivion. :v:

Also, we have AT&T LTE so maybe they'll give us this too (even though this has no LTE...but GoPhone does...what the gently caress).

I can only assume they'll bend and throw in LTE at some point. VZW may be holding their breath, but with Sprint's NV creeping along and T-Mobile's surprisingly competitive LTE-inclusive pricing, ATT's got fuckall for value soon if they want people to just toddle along on H+ for more money and lower caps than T-Mo. Coverage is about all they've got right now and that's not an unassailable position by any measure.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Last week I bought a Net10 SIM pack for $15 from Target, which included full size SIMs for both ATT and T-Mo, as well as an ATT micro Sim.

So far I used the micro Sim, decided to try cutting switching to the T-Mo one, found out it was OK except for the fatlands out in the suburbs where I conveniently have a weekly doctor appointment for the next few weeks, plus some weird call dropping, so I cut the ATT one and ported back.

Cliff notes: check your local Target.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is starting to sound like I should buy a bunch of those sim packs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

What happened with the number port is what is supposed to happen. If your account is canceled or disconnected in any way, you will not be able to port your number over.

In all honesty, you were lucky to be able to port it at all. But its probably why they had to charge you for the extra month.

I ported my number out and Sprint has apparently attempted to gently caress me out of the ETF plus a months service.

I didn't scan it but I took a picture of the letter regarding cancellation. I wonder if they noticed me going to Ting for a month. I have to wait until Monday to talk to someone other than a billing agent who has no idea what I am talking about.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Carriers seriously hate porting numbers. They hate doing the work it requires to do so.

When I worked for Virgin Mobile (and when they sucked less), we had to do port outs and port ins all the time. Sprint and AT&T were the biggest offenders. All the user has to do is give the username, password, and account over to the other carrier and the carrier will initiate the port out / port in. The other carrier just has to let go of the number and give it to the other carrier and that's that. But carriers like to drag their feet or gently caress people out of doing it. Unfortunately for them (and fortunately for the customers), it's against the law to NOT allow porting numbers...but the carriers will still find a way.

When I left Sprint, I didn't have an issues. I ported my number to Google Voice a week before my final bill with Sprint. They waited a good 3 weeks before they actually billed me for the ETF though.

That is what happened with me - I got the letter on 4/1 and ported to Ting within the week. Looks like I got the ETF applied in late April or early May, but no notice from Sprint, just the "hey your bill is past due" email.

Great, now I have to fight that bullshit again.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What kind of sick joke is that, VOIP over Sprint 3G?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

TEU and I both live in Omaha, NE. We won't see NV here until well into 2014, if at all. We were promised Wi-Max too but never got it. Sprint 3G is just going to be 100% awful for many cities for quite a while.

:ssh: word has it they put up a tower in Valley.

Of all loving places they put it up in the goddamn sticks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

goku chewbacca posted:

From what I can tell on Net10's and StraightTalk's SIM sales sites, their SIMs use the same Carrier IDs as the network the run on. An AT&T locked phone will work with an AT&T Net10 SIM, a T-Mobile locked phone will work with a T-Mobile Net10 SIM.

I am fairly sure this is the case. The 3-SIM pack they sell for $15 here says "<carrier> compatible or unlocked phone" for each. On that note, I mildly hosed up cutting my SIM and it's so small that it will fall through the SIM holder in my Nexus 4 unless I finagle it to just rest on the very edges of the little lip in there. However, it works just fine. Lined it up properly so the pins made contact and I've had no problems.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

To put Sprint in perspective: T-Mobile was better, and they don't even allow sim cards to be sold in Omaha, nor do they apparently allow for area code 402 numbers to be ported in. There were several dead spots but they were out in the SWO sprawl where I don't normally go and were thus less intrusive. Sprint on the other hand will just drop a loving call while pulling off the interstate into midtown. Which is the best time to drop a call if you're getting directions or something.

Yes, Sprint is worse than a company that does not even consider itself as being present in the same market region.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 15, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

Did you eventually settle on anyone? I ended up going with Net10 with no complaints right now. Maybe in a year or so I'll try out the AT&T prepaid if I ever get a LTE phone. For now, HSPA seems more than enough. Have good to great coverage in most of omaha.

Yeah, net10 with ATT. T-mo wouldn't let me port my number in and wanted to assign me a 660 area code one, which is Missouri.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berzerkmonkey posted:

Will any unlocked phone work? I see "international phone" a lot, but I'm not really sure what that means, exactly... Also, looking at the TMo coverage map, and comparing it to Sprint's map, Sprint actually (supposedly) has better coverage and signal strength - which is phenomenally depressing. I really don't want to buy a phone then find out that my Ting/Sprint service was just as good...

I really don't know if my problem is my phone or Sprint service. I've got an E4GT - I know the phone is reviled, but I also know that Sprint's signal through buildings is pretty terrible. I don't know if upgrading my phone and staying on Ting is the answer, or if going to TMo is the way to go. Either way, I have to buy a new phone, and money is tight. I'd really hate to buy a phone for TMo and find out that I get an equal (or lesser) quality of service and wind up paying more for the plan.

I don't know what to do... :ohdear:

Generally any unlocked modern GSM (non-Sprint/Verizon) phone will work on both T-Mo and ATT. The exceptions if I recall are few and far between as long as you're not looking for a phone older than a couple years old. Specifically you're looking for AWS bands 2 and 4, aka 1900 and paired 1700/2100 respectively. I am fairly sure those numbers are still up to date. There are some PCS frequencies that I think may work in some areas due to the MetroPCS acquisition but those AWS ones are the ones you definitely need.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Net10 sim packs are like 15-20 bucks at target and carry a micro ATT sim, a full ATT sim, and a full T-Mo sim. Cutting them with scissors is not hard as I did it with the two big ones without issue, as well as a replacement SIM that came in the mail when I switched back to ATT and ported my old number back in after finding out T-Mobile's official policy is that Omaha does not exist.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

T-Mobile barely works in ANY part of Nebraska or Iowa.

Seriously, I traversed the entire state of Iowa and had absolutely NO signal from T-Mobile.

I had AT&T signal right up until I got to Vinton, IA.

T-Mobile just sucks.

It's mainly the lack of coverage/refusal to expand in the region at all. T-Mo actually refused to allow the port-in of the 402 area code number I was assigned by Net10 and I had to have a 660 number (I guess it was something nearby but also within the KC market) assigned. It wasn't a big loss because I hadn't ported in my Sprint number but yeah they won't even let you port your number over if you're from the area. I have family with T-Mobile and N4s and can attest they most certainly do not suck when there's coverage :colbert: but unless you live in a CITY and not just a City or city you're SOL.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FCC website appears to list the Douglas/Sarpy/Pottawatamie counties under a market area in which T-Mo acquired 20 (maybe 10, can't remember) MHz from ATT. It was in the 1700/2100 AWS band. There was some activity on it in May/June but I think it was just some docs. It's listed as consummated which means we get hosed it's completed. I will have to try and get a link. I sort of want to ask specifically about plans to build out the area or if they're just going to hold the allocation in a speculative manner.

E: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/licenseMarketSum.jsp?licKey=3375989

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 25, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Net10 with ATT has been giving me some problems with latency (or what appears to be latency - taking for. e. ver. to start loading a page) - has anyone had this same issue?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Now I just need to ask a family member in Florida to forward a Sim card to me from Aio. I have lots of friends and family in the 727 :whatup:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rabble posted:

Just FYI with AIO, the only way to port your number is to physically go to their store. If you have a SIM shipped to you it will be pre-activated with a phone number already on it.

That's fine. I have Google voice with a number I like ported to it. My number can be a 727, 904, 407, 813, 321 area code, I given't a poo poo. I mean on a continuum of shits given I guess you could say I think it would be neat to have something like an 813 number but its like having a low steam ID, sperg candy is all it is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wonder if it's actually unlimited and if it's any better than Net10. Considering they're both Tracfone/Åméríçä Mövîl companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

While that's true, it's still better than Sprint, it's MVNOs, and anything that uses it's towers so...yeah. :v:

Not in the small handful of intersections across the country rocking the NV LTE.

Then it's "at least as good as Sprint." :smug:

There's a reason why the Sprint logo looks like a fountain of piss.

• Locked thread