Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

At least when you can't load a page on Aio it's because the network is actually down and not just that it's Sprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I have used tethering a bit on Aio without issue.

By a bit I mean syncing my Paperwhite and seeing if it worked while browsing with my girlfriend's phone. Not sure if they'd have problems with using something like a PC or a tablet.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dr.bateman posted:

Question about signing up on the AIO site. When I enter my IMEI number to check my phone's compatibility I'm told that I'll only be able to get up to 2G speed. This is an iPhone 4. Shouldn't the data speed be 3G?

Should be. Did someone slip you one of those crippled Sprint ones?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

dr.bateman posted:

Well I'm on ATT and have been for a number of years. The phone in question IS a refurb that was given to me at the Apple store about two years ago.

If it's gotten 3G on ATT before there's absolutely no reason it won't get it on Aio. They are literally the same towers, ATT owns Aio.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Hey, TEU, did you sell your Nexus 4 for the 5? How much did you get for it?

I got impatient and used Gazelle, got $135.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hotsauce posted:

Looking to put my wife on ST from post paid ATT. She has an iPhone 4s. I've ordered an ATT ST micro SIM.

I've googled but results are generally old and unreliable since things change all the time. My questions are:

Does iMessage work 100%?
Facetime over a cellular connection?
Visual voicemail on the iPhone?

I presume MMS works fine as well, correct?

Are calls to other ATT customers considered mobile to mobile? I don't think her mom has unlimited minutes (she has ATT).

Lastly is the 2.5gig cap inclusive of streaming? I know they were strict when it was a soft limit but now that its defined as 2.5 gigs do they care if you stream audio pre 2.5 gigs?

Basically I need this to operate the same as post paid ATT that she has used for years. I can deal with issues and other differences but she doesn't have the patience.

Thanks

People familiar with ST are in the same boat because nobody loving knows. I'm fairly sure Carlos Slim himself couldn't get answers for you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

To be honest, Android is generally the worst of the three when it comes to battery life. That said, it's not as much a shortfall these days as it is a functional difference in allowable resource usage. If Android had the rigidity that WP or Apple did it would be easier to tailor the software towards more power efficiency. It doesn't, was never designed to, and likely never will. That's where OEM modifications to the OS come in.

I imagine in the near future companies like Samsung and (possibly - assuming their survival) HTC will have nearly complete forks of the OS where they handle core updates, at least for their flagships, totally in-house. At that point it's likely you'll see the kinds of longevity found in the other manufacturer hardware. Stuff like basebands used to require different SKUs but now you have things like the N5 where the radio supports all carriers willing to take it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a retard posted:

That's good to know, thanks.

Considering the Moto G vastly outperforms the 5S in battery life, I'm not sure that's exactly true.

Isn't the Moto G running the heavily-customized version of Android that made the Moto X punch above its weight hardware-wise?

I mean, your post isn't as much a refutation as it is a proof of the point I was making with manufacturer customizations tailoring the OS to their hardware platforms, though I will grant I was talking about the future and not the present.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bobfather posted:

You're kidding, right? The Moto G is 50% thicker than the 5S and 20% heavier. While it does have impressive battery life, it gains it through brute size increases, not good software or hardware engineering. It's thicker than all other flagship phones out there, with size specs that pin it in the era of phones from 2010.

It's also comparable price-wise to the 5S's on-contract price. I don't buy the comparison even if it's got better battery life - the battery is massive in comparison both in capacity and dimension.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Toilet Clam posted:

It also lacks 4G, which a lot of people seem to leave out when recommending it.

If they make a future rev with LTE it'd be one hell of a phone.

Right now it's a pretty good "flee your carrier" phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

Well I guess at the 2 month mark of not renewing they cancel your account with Aio and you can't reactivate it online.

Anyone use their customer service? Outsourced?

I may switch to gophone when I get back or something. Really don't want to pay a reactivation fee.

The only time I used their support was to get APN settings, and that was a chat with someone that said I was awesome and that I made their day. Actual account support may be different.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Photex posted:

just a quick update from Ting, they lowered their data prices a little bit (actually by $13 if you're within the 1-2gb range)

Have they moved to a different host carrier?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Photex posted:

it's still sprint.

Aww man. :smith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That merger, I hope, happens after T-Mobile's alleged expansion. I'm the last person to say branding is A Thing, but I rather like the chirpy, cheery thing they've got going with Aio.

There's also the totally-not-a-fence "WE BUY/SELL/REPAIR BROKEN ELECTRONICS/FLASH YOUR PHONE TO CRICKET" shop in town. It's next to a quaint little sorta-indie used/new video game store, all that's missing is a pawn shop and you could basically just back a van full of stolen poo poo into the parking lot Payday style. Cricket gives me bad vibes, like mentioning it would imply I stole my phone/went deadbeat on a contract.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FISHMANPET posted:

So I do auto refill with ST on the $45, and with local taxes and fees based on my local zip code it ends up being a few cents over $50. So with AIO there's no local taxes or fees whatsoever? And the $35 AIO plan is equivalent to the $45 ST plan? And people have been able to port their numbers from ST to AIO?

This is perfect.

Yeah, it's pretty baller to see $55 on the site and know it isn't actually like $68 (Nebraska taxes the fuuuuck out of mobile carriers for some reason) after the poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Nebraska has the highest mobile tax in the country at 24.5%. :v: Probably that loving stadium cost and other bs.

Sprint cost me nearly $90 for a bill that was supposed to be $60.

Probably the cost of trying to give tax breaks away to everything they can.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Watommi posted:

I'm trying to find a cheap alternative to ATT other than TMobile, since the San Diego outlying areas have terrible service with TMobile and the SD area won't be included in their future 700mhz spectrum upgrades.

My wife and I have unlocked ATT iphones (a 4 and a 4s). Been reading the last couple pages about AIO, and have a couple questions I just want to confirm:

Unlocked ATT iphones will work just fine on AIO right, since AIO is owned by ATT? Just want to be sure since TMobile told me our iPhones would work on their network, only to find that 3g wasn't supported and we were stuck at 2g.

Will coverage be identical to ATT? Since we had ATT before, we're familiar with the coverage and it was ok. We have to get off TMobile since coverage where we're at is terrible and doesn't match their online map at all. I understand that data speeds are capped, but since my main data usage is downloading podcasts, 8mbps is fine - I don't need to stream HD video or anything.

Does AIO care how you use your data? Don't want to find out that downloading a couple podcasts at once will get me throttled or something stupid.

I'm weighing getting something like AIO against going back to ATT with their new no-contract mobile share plan. My wife is a USPS employee, so we could get a 25% discount on the data portion of ATT mobile share, meaning we could share 10 GB/month with our two phones for around $105/month, or get two AIO plans for $90/month. Just want to make sure AIO is as good as it seems.

1: Yes.

2: I believe so, probably same as Gophone which IIRC is ATT sans roaming.

3: As far as I know they don't care. I've streamed music for hours on end and played YouTube videos without issue. I even wifi tethered my Kindle without issue. They probably don't want you tethering a laptop or PC but mobile stuff is OK. I have never been throttled.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's because ST/Net10 is a cavern of dicks who lie to you about porting information just to punish you for leaving.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bobulus posted:

Thanks to those that suggested AIO. Here's my before and after data speeds for an area of good reception in town when I switched from tmobile prepaid to AIO.

What the hell kind of place do you live where you get speeds that awful on Aio?

I get like 4mbps minimum, and I'm in a city that doesn't even exist to the mobile industry.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

If you look at the timestamps, the faster one is newer = Aio I assume.

I know, it's only 450kB/s, which is considerably slower than what I get:

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 12, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Athenry posted:

HSPA+ is capped at 4mb/s LTE is capped at 8.

Well that explains it. The difference is largely academic anyway, it's probably less of a comparative delay than the processing overhead on webpages where it might actually be noticeable. I just thought someone was getting hosed out of half the speed he was paying for.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Citycop posted:

I have been using straight talk for abut 3 months now. This is from my Nexus 5 just a minute ago. I live in Texas. I pay $45 a month and I think your crazy if your spending more than that anywhere else.

I wouldn't touch straight talk with a ten foot pole. I got hosed out of my old phone number by Net10 and Straight Talk is the same crowd of motherfuckers under a different name.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Lblitzer posted:

I ported my number into ST, then out to AT&T, then into Net10 and then to GoPhone, and then to Verizon without issue. Now I will say their CS was awful, but they didn't do anything that ridiculous.

They basically froze me out and strung me along about how I was entering my account number/SIM number incorrectly, then it was my PIN that was incorrect, then it was possibly a market conflict (like how you can't even port a 402 area code number into T-Mobile, or even onto a T-Mo MVNO like Net10's T-Mobile service) and the number might not have been able to be ported.

Eventually the number was lost. I have GV but MMS happens to be rather heavily used by a lot of people I know and I'm not going to go sperging to them about Hangouts.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of AIO, AT&T just got the ok from the FCC to buy Leap Wireless.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/13/5505798/fcc-approves-att-purchase-of-leap-wireless

Looks like it'll remain CDMA for a while as AT&T is required to honor all CDMA roaming that Leap had. They'll start deploying LTE using Leap's unused spectrum within 90 days or 12 months of closing, and they've agreed to offer the cheap plans that Cricket customers are used to.

As for AIO, this shouldn't change anything but the name. If anything, Cricket will become GSM and CDMA for a while (with BYOP GSM plans), and keep the same rates and whatnot.

gently caress. I was liking the new Aio color too :smith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Aio actually just put out this website answering questions for both Cricket users and Aio users.

http://merger-info.aiowireless.com/

If you are on Aio Wireless:

If you're on Cricket Wireless:

Oh god damnit Aio, don't gently caress this up. It's already bad enough that you decided to rebrand yourself as the official brand of walmart and call center employees everywhere. I was liking that understated seafoamish green you had going on and now you're probably going to adopt the EXXXXTREME TECH black/lime color palette from 1998/The Matrix/Monster Energy. All you've got left is your service and if that starts lagging I'm loving gone. I don't know where but it won't be with Cricket.

Ugh.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TLG James posted:

At least you can pay your bill at gas stations now

How long til they're set up as a kiosk in Walmart and a little mini display in the goddamn grocery store?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't care so much about "for the poors" since "prepaid" is basically still the same thing.

I'm more pissed about it because of what that other guy said, about how Cricket is for stolen/blacklisted-due-to-unpaid-bills phones. Because it loving is. Look on craigslist sometime around 2-3 months after a flagship release on Sprint. You'll see tons of that flagship phone *BAD ESN FLASHED TO CRICKET*

I don't want to be like "oh I have Cricket" and immediately get the stink eye like I'm about to reach for their loving wallet. At least when I namedrop Aio people don't know what the gently caress it is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ugh. I don't know what the gently caress I was trying to say when I made that post last night...

Anyway...

To be perfectly honest, at least around Omaha, you wouldn't get this reaction. You'd mostly get the reaction of "Oh, that person's poor. They can't afford poo poo." Hell, I got this reaction from someone in the AT&T store near Staples because I had asked about a wireless charger and had casually mentioned I was on Straight Talk. It wasn't until I whipped out the Nexus 4 (which was the current Nexus at the time at a nice price-tag of $388 with tax and shipping) did they do a double-take and stop acting like I couldn't afford poo poo in the store.

When I was on Cricket, the worst I remember was having to go to their corporate store (which is, oddly enough, near that same AT&T store...) and having to wait in extremely long lines just to get service. It got so bad, they started giving out free cookies and allowing people to eat as much as they wanted as they'd most likely be there for a while.

Whatever I was trying to say last night, bah. What I'm mostly worrying about is the congestion on the network. Cricket has a LOT of people (at least in Omaha) and those people on top of Aio's current--albeit small--customer base...I don't know. Hopefully, it's not that bad. I don't really give a poo poo about people thinking I'm poor or whatever because usually when they realize your one phone is more than what they pay per month on-contract AND it's not some cheap piece of poo poo, they shut up. :v:

As for the whole "people will think I'll steal their phone and flash it to Cricket" thing, if AT&T rebrands it right, there'll be no way to do this and they need to let the public know via commercials and poo poo. I don't know how they could but I guess via word of mouth?

Yeah, the whole "eww poor" thing falls apart when you paid 2-3x as much for your phone because you bought it off-contract/unlocked. Why get ripped off for service every month when you can just pay upfront for the phone? :agesilaus:

There's no avoiding the shady bodega thing though. I'm just waiting for the day when they start directing me to "TOBACCO & PHONES 4 LESS" for anything I need to do in-person. There's almost always a cop parked at the one I pass on my way to/from work.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I tried, it says my number is in a region that they can't port from (because gently caress flyover country I guess?)

Sup flyover country buddy :stare::hf::stare:

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I don't know why everyone thinks this will happen. AT&T now owns both AIO and Cricket, right? Why would they allow the same shady stuff to continue, but now with their name attached? If Cricket weren't CDMA I'd conjecture that AT&T bought them to put a stop to all the stolen phone reactivation poo poo.

They're not doing the CDMA -> LTE rollover overnight. It's going to take a year at the very least and even then it's still "BAD ESN FLASHED TO" Cricket. I'm no Don Draper but I can tell you ATT isn't going to roll out commercials saying "TOTALLY LEGIT NOW HONEST."

I'd prefer if they found a way to cross-check the ESN lists with their ESN activation history and just put the screws to anyone whose ESN was issued to a device not matching what was activated. Not sure if there's a way to find out the original device as issued, but if they find an ESN that was originally issued to some Huawei shitbox, but was activated on an account that is using an iPhone, advise them of the problem, turn that poo poo off, and send them a cheapo free phone as an olive branch. It isn't like they weren't aware of the circumstances behind their purchase - you don't buy a current-gen flagship phone for $150 on craigslist from a guy who tells you it can't be activated with the carrier whose logo is on the drat thing without realizing that poo poo's shady as gently caress.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I went to a T-Mobile store in Topeka back in December, they claim Omaha should have 3G "at least". She even allowed me behind the counter to actually see where their computers claim T-Mobile exists in Omaha. :v:

It exists insofar as subscribers who live elsewhere being able to get service passing through. People living here able to buy T-Mobile service? Nope.

ThermoPhysical posted:

How'd you make that GIF? :v

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gooncam/

E: I might just be pissy but I'm getting odd network issues today. It was doing the "connected to LTE but not transferring data" thing earlier and now it just seems sluggish.

I am not feeling optimistic.

E2: Hangouts chat messages (not SMS) are failing to send. Mother Fucker.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 17, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Niyqor posted:

This actually might have been an issue with Google Hangouts. Hangouts is the primary form of communication for my entirely remote company and there were all sorts of issues today.

OK, that helps a little bit, but I was also having trouble loading pages and search results.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

Speaking of Aio, do they allow tethering? At some point I may need more than 100 minutes a month and Aio looks to be a decent option.

Tethering a tablet? They probably can't even tell. Tethering a PC? They probably would let light use slide but if you're, I don't know, on the road a lot (and want to stream your animes and jpop library or whatever the gently caress) then you probably ought to just cough up the money for a proper tethering plan with a carrier that sells it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is it just me or does cricket mandate all users to have speakerphone on at all times?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

I haven't run into anyone on Cricket in a while...where are you at where Cricket is prevalent. hah

Most people around Omaha I know are on Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular, or Boost Mobile. No one seems to use Straight Talk or AIO. Cricket might be in there somewhere, but I see Sprint and Verizon more than prepaid around here.

Also, why the name change? :v:

There used to be a half-decent Chinese restaurant over by the cricket store at like 85th/Dodge. Might still be but I haven't really been over in that area in a while because to be honest there isn't much in the way of meaningful civilization along Dodge West of 72nd or so. Dead mall, strip malls, live mall, beluga sprawl. Anyway, I'd occasionally be going to eat there or pick up some takeout and there was pretty reliably some random rear end in a top hat putting around outside the Cricket store there sharing his conversation, the reek of his cheap cigarettes, and the stench of his even cheaper cologne (When I am dry-heaving after catching a whiff of Curve or Gio or whatever other bottled catpiss from 20+ feet away you laid that poo poo on too drat heavy) to anyone within range. If I had to make a hard guess I'd say salesperson but it was always different individuals playing the same role.

The name change happened because I grew tired the old one. It was pretty cool but all cool things must be shelved.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 27, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh! Ok, I think I know that place. You mean the Cricket HQ store around there? I think the Chinese place is still there, never been though.

Hey, Crossroads might be dying but there's loving Five Guys, Smashburger, Noodles & Company, Gamers, and Barnes & Noble. I'm ok with this. :v: Also, Crossroads is supposed to get a redo later this year...but they've said that EVERY year so..yeah.

FAUXTON isn't as cool as being The Entire Universe, but I get the need for something new.

Anyway, I looked into H2O Wireless. It's sad that they're as crappy as ST is, but they do have a clear policy on no tethering. So...yeah.

Sorry to burst your five guys and smashburger bubble, but there's Dinkers down in South O and their burgers loving own bones.

There's also Crave in Midtown Crossing and their burgers are incredible but I wouldn't compare them to straight burger joints. I wish Blanc was still open... :smith:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Dinkers, huh? Will have to check them out. Any recommendations?

Speaking of Midtown, that's what they want to turn Crossroads into...another Midtown. Target, B&N, and Sears will stick around though.

Poking around the AIO Facebook, it looks like things will really start changing for Cricket customers in March of 2015. According to their page, all Cricket CDMA phones (read: all of them) will cease to work after that date.

AIO is, hilariously and not unlike any other carrier, answering any real questions right now, preferably sending people to links rather than just straight up answering.

Some of these questions bring even MORE questions and realizations. Cricket has broadband that customers can buy for their laptops, desktops, whatever. I hope AIO keeps this. I don't use it, but it would suck if people were forced to go to a lovely ISP like Cox or Century Link just because AT&T decided to cut their internet.

As it stands, Cricket has MORE services than AIO has. It has broadband capability, tethering, a music service... While AIO users won't have changes, a GSM version of Cricket with BYOP, AT&T coverage + Cricket coverage, and all of those services would really be loving nice.

They're good burgers all around, but their Haystack burger is pure fatass American decadence. So is their Bluejay burger, which I prefer, but the Haystack is the one that wins awards. If you give half a drat about eating right, you'll want to kill yourself if you don't die from a burst aorta or something first.

If they turn crossroads into something half as useful as Midtown Crossing I'll be surprised. They're probably not going to put a Wohlner's in there, probably not a Brix or a Grane (imagine Brix but for distilled spirits), probably not The Afternoon, etc. New poo poo to visit is always neat but it's probably moot considering the ambulatory filth we've got for a mayor shitcanned the bond ballot issue that was supposed to get things started. That disgusting hog's lust for all things sprawl is almost as bad as her hatred of sound budgeting and civil rights.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 28, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PurpleJesus posted:

Get a Nexus 5. It's unlocked and should work on most GSM networks.

This needs to be in the OP, prefaced with "I NEED A PHONE THAT..."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

But what if he's on the road a lot and might need hours of anime.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

So, remember when I said I'd try to get down to below my 5GB data bucket? Yeah...that didn't happen.

Apparently, the most I ever use, with streaming Google Play Music All Access every single time I leave the house, with playing YouTube in HD, and playing Puzzle and Dragons, I only use about 4GB. :v:

I shall try again!

Torrent animes on your phone, then you will know why people still cling to Sprint with bonus knowledge of why people need removable batteries and SD cards on their phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

As for forcing myself to go over my data, I guess I can stream podcasts on Pocket Casts instead of downloading.

Won't work. I have to listen at 1.7x speed to keep up with all the history/tech/comedy poo poo I subscribe to and I'm fairly sure it isn't enough.

E: I was wrong, I apparently use between 8 and 11 GB of wifi monthly on pocketcasts alone.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 2, 2014

• Locked thread