Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

TLG James posted:

The first time you travel on a 10+ hour flight, you want both of those things.

Yeah, in a laptop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

SB35 posted:

I fly first class to Asia
Or read a book and sleep in the cattle compartment.

How many ten hour flights do you realistically take that you need to watch anime for a full ten hours then get off the plane and go for a full day of phone usage?

My question is why concern yourself with small screen content for that long when you're free to bring a larger screen. Generally you know you're flying long enough ahead of time to grab your computer, or even your tablet. Demanding dozens of battery hours and hundreds of gigabytes of storage from a five-inch screen just seems like AS-level obsession with the idea of the mobile phone as opposed to task fulfillment. You can get shitloads of battery life and storage on a mobile phone, but it's going to damage aesthetics, ergonomics, maybe even functional performance. However, keep the phone in the phone role and bring something more closely designed to your demands as-is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

TLG James posted:

Why is it always anime?

Jesus. Do you guys realize how easy it is to drain a battery if you're using gps constantly? I drained a battery in like 5 hours around chicago, using Google maps and public transportation. It is so nice to pop in a fresh battery for the train home. Not to mention the fact that it seems like in 15 months or so, I seem to lose 10% of the battery capacity.

You don't need poo poo loads of battery life when you can buy a 3 pack for 15 bucks on amazon. Laptop battery is even worse.

Not sure why it's always anime but it probably has to do with it being less likely that someone loads a phone with 64 GB of Seinfeld reruns than they load it with 64 GB of cartoons.

The GPS question, however, is intriguing. I spent 5 hours taking pictures at the SAC museum, preceded by breakfast and an hour of Spotify (off-charger since Dad wanted to charge his phone) in my car on the way there. I was down to around 15%. How much of your day in Chicago was spent with the screen on?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Saint Fu posted:

I'm porting out of the tmobile dork plan to AIO. I feel like this has come up before, but is the account number just my 10 digit phone number? And is the password/pin my tmo login password or my voice mail pin? Thanks

It's typically a different PIN, some places use your SSN, other places parts of your mobile number, I would ask the T-Mobile thread.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Saint Fu posted:

I just activated my AIO account and am able to send/receive SMS almost immediately (took less than 2 minutes). I still don't have data though after about 10 minutes. Is it common for SMS/voice and data to activate at different times?

It may be an APN thing, their support is very good and will walk you through it and tell you you're awesome and you made their day.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

"I'm on the ATT 5 GB plan with unlimited talk and text for $55"

I'm a loving wizard that's why.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Ingenium posted:

My friend has been telling me how awesome ting is and my contract has ran out so I am debating switching over. I am curious if anyone has had any experiences with ting they could tell me about.

Sprint but cheaper if you're not a 5GB of data monthly, on the road a lot, heavy user. If you're a light use guy you can pay the more quality-appropriate price of like $30 monthly for Sprint service.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Better make sure you have the receipt on hand.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ST and Net10 must have some kind of funky deprioritizing arrangement or something. I had nothing but timeouts on Net10, and that seems to be the case on ST from what y'all post.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

coolskillrex remix posted:

Oops, i see that now on the website. So it doesnt suffer the same problems as straight talk despite being an AT&T MVNO? i will give it a shot i suppose

On paper yes they're throttled but it isn't some weird kind of QoS fuckery where you have to try a half dozen times to load a page. Loads first try every try, just at 4mb/8mb instead of like 12 or whatever.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Sheep-Goats posted:

My parents are switched over to Android phones on Aio now, their first smart phones. It's going way better than I expected, dad especially is comfortable adjusting settings, picking apps from the play store, moving shortcuts around and calling and email.

I ran into a problem the other day however when I was showing him how to text images. We repeatedly got a message along the lines that "MMS could not be sent as your carrier does not allow it" but, of course, I have no problem sending images and I have the same carrier. Did I gently caress something up when I was entering the data settings? Any idea of what I should check before I bother with Aio support?

I think it may also be a check box in the account settings - my girlfriend (she's on Ting but it may still apply) got a similar message when attempting to send MMS and it was that she needed to actually enable it in account settings. It isn't an extra charge.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Sheep-Goats posted:

Account settings on their site or somewhere on the phone?

On the site I'd imagine.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

GenericGirlName posted:

Hello thread! I just want to get a second opinion since the OP doesn't look to be up to date and I don't want to mess anything up with my phone.

I have an iPhone 5c that I bought from verizon, and it turns out that I'm not actually under a contract so I'm removing myself from my family's family plan because it is disgustingly expensive. I was looking to use some prepaid plan with minimal minutes (I call very infrequently and the majority of those people also have iPhones) and some where around 2gb of data because I have a gross compulsion to look at google maps when I walk around which has only been increased by me moving to a new place.

My issue is I would like to keep my number AND possibly have not terrible data (preferably 4g since LTE seems impossible. But really I can settle for 3G). Is this possible with AIO? Cricket? I'm not able to do any real research just yet as I am looking at all this from my phone (internet people haven't come by yet today...) so any help would be much appreciated!

Knowing Verizon they probably rigged a bomb to go off if the phone is unlocked.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Where would I be able to find locations of legit cricket stores? I mean legit as in corporate, it looks like the locations on the site are just some shady cheeseball kiosk.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Cricket near 72nd and Dodge is a legit corporate store. It's actually the HQ unless AT&T changed it.

It's near the egg place, I think.

I'll have a look, thanks. Girlfriend is getting a N5 (currently has a GNex - she's in for a surprise) and I'm wondering if there's a way she can get a SIM from the store rather than wait for it to ship.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

SB35 posted:

They do two day shipping so unless you need it right now.... Also I think it cost $25 to activate in store.

Ah well. She's more patient than I am. They want the phone's IMEI in order to buy a SIM. I put mine in (I have Cricket) and it said it was on the stolen blacklist.

Which it certainly isn't, since I bought it direct from Google in November. However, it's funny that it's saying the phone is stolen despite being active on Cricket. It's like proof of everything I've been worried about, even though its probably just a poor website design issue and it's just spitting that message out for active phones too. It's hilarious to think any phone registered on Cricket is just automatically considered stolen

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ilkhan posted:

More likely they just figure if its already on an active cricket account you don't need to activate it again, thus somebody grabbed it.

Yeah, I assume that is how it was thought of but it specifically referred to the blacklist registry instead of just implying strongly that your phone was hot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ilkhan posted:

I'm considering a switch to cricket/Aio from T-Mo and my current plan renews on the 12th; where (retail) can I get a SIM at?

1: On Cricket's website. $10.

2: In store. $10 (SIM) + $25 (Activation ) + $$ First Month.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

Wapole Languray posted:

I'm looking for a plan, and having trouble deciphering all the vagueries of the various websites.

Location: Southwest Virginia, in particular the New River Valley region and around Roanoke.

Budget: ~$200 for a phone, though less is better. Can maybe stretch up to $60 a month, but would prefer closer to $40.

I'd like a monthly plan with unlimited talk and text, which seems pretty universal so good on that one! I'd like as much data as I can get. 4G/LTE stuff doesn't matter that much because there's pretty much none near me, and I have in-house wifi.

Moto G and Cricket.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, that list is unordered, I'll be listing by carrier and see if I can remember the URLs for those websites (and the apps) that show carrier coverage.

While I'm typing up this new thread, anyone have any ideas for a thread title?

Prepaid Smartphone Thread: How to pay a fair price for lovely Sprint service

E: I've noticed a bit of slowness as well, but not timeouts or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

daef

ThermoPhysical posted:

For the T-Mobile section, I'm thinking of really just pointing people to just go with T-Mobile's own plans and skip out on SIMple Mobile and ST/Net10 (pretty much all the same carrier anyway). I'll talk about Harbor Mobile though since it's got decent plans (the $60/mo allows for tethering, apparently!).

Would people be ok with this?

I wonder if Harbor Mobile can issue numbers in the 402 area code.

• Locked thread