Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Quick question:

T-Mobile has a $30 web-only prepaid plan that gives you 100 minutes, but unlimited data and texting, as per usual. Presumably there shouldn't be any issue with buying a Galaxy Nexus and an activation kit, and then signing up for that specific plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Oh hey, here's a question - in the T-Mobile SIM kit, what size SIM do they give you? Old-style? Micro? Nano (which I doubt)?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

SB35 posted:

When I ordered the kit online I got the old style, big SIM. But if I recall, you could get that or a micro SIM.

I ordered online last Saturday. Man, don't tell me I'm going to have to cut my SIM down, I've never had to do that before...

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Just a little update, since people might be interested in experiences with the Galaxy Nexus and T-Mobile.

I did in fact get a full-sized SIM with my activation kit, but to my surprise the pentaband Nexus uses a standard SIM slot, so no problems there. Micro SIMs should work too.

I had a much harder time actually activating the phone. I went to the T-Mobile website to sign up for the $30 Unlimited Web/Text plan, but the site wouldn't let me turn on a needed AutoPay option, so I had to call and finish the set up process there. That created still more problems though, since the agent didn't listen and gave me a $30 plan with 1,500 minutes, but a whopping 30MB of data - needless to say, that's how I discovered they botched things. I had to call today to sort things out. Two days later, I'm still waiting for them to port my number over from my previous carrier.

Just be prepared for some hassle with T-Mobile, ultimately. I get the sense they're not really prepared for customers wanting that $30 Unlimited option.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

ilkhan posted:

You know you can sign up for auto-pay later...right?

The website wouldn't let me complete my activation without setting up AutoPay.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The joy continues. I got a text last night saying that my number had been successfully ported over from Virgin (I just lost my Virginity, guys!), but checking my Galaxy Nexus shows the same courtesy number active, and now I can't send texts. Any ideas?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Tremors posted:

Silly question, but did you reboot your phone?

I'll give it at shot. Should've thought of that earlier.

Update: The right number is displayed now, but I still can't send texts!

Nihiliste fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 8, 2012

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Finally got (most) of the T-Mobile mess sorted. Turns out they didn't consider my account paid for, even though I'd just paid a few days prior. Now I'm trying to fix the double payment I had to make to get my phone working.

A question, though - I can't seem to log into my Virgin Mobile account anymore. Does that mean they've gone ahead and cancelled after the successful port?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Thanks. It seems like such an obvious thing, but I'm going to be out of the country for a couple of weeks and don't want to leave anything up to chance.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Choicecut posted:

I kinda feel silly for buying 2 Samsung Nexus last week and seeing the LG Nexus going up for sale soon. I should have waited. :(

Don't feel too ridiculous. The Galaxy Nexus is still an amazing phone, and frankly, I don't trust LG hardware!

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Civil posted:

Wouldn't you say that the Galaxy S (1) cock-up was more widespread than the G2x disaster? Samsung was mocked forever in the android phone thread, and as far as I know, LG's failure was limited to a single phone.

Besides, with google looking over their shoulder, I don't think the FUD is warranted.

I'm just thinking of LG phones in general. My Nexus is the first non-LG phone I've owned, and it's like a breath of fresh air, though admittedly I've only ever had one smartphone (an Optimus V) and two "feature" phones before this. More importantly, I've heard reviewers and other buyers complain about LG phones often enough that combined with my own experience, I'm fine sitting out the Nexus 4.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The offline caching in Google Maps is such a brilliant feature - I bought an O2 SIM with a 200MB data plan while I was in Germany, and between offline maps and shutting off background data I barely made a dent into my cap. I can virtually guarantee you that feature will be in iOS 7...once iOS Maps becomes worth using again. :v:

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Stick100 posted:

I'd wait for others but I think getting a Nano TMO sim then signing up for the $30 100 minute 5 GB plan probably makes sense. I don't see an easy way to order a Nano online. I'm guessing you could just walk into a TMo store, say you have an unlocked iPhone and you want to buy a Sim. Then get online and activate it. Maybe the TMobile thread would better answer that. Other options are the two straight talks, and red rocket.

In my experience, you can't just walk into a T-Mobile store and buy a SIM/activation kit unless you want one of the more expensive plans. Yes, it's stupid.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
A question - how safe would it be to turn on tethering with a T-Mobile device without paying for the tethering plan? What would happen if they caught me? I have a Galaxy Nexus and an iPad, and I just figure it'd be nice to do browsing and email from the iPad when it's convenient.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Stick100 posted:

It's safe, you might get hit with a pay wall after a hundred or so mb, but even then if you wait a couple hours it will reset and you can tether again. Or you can just change your mobile agent and continue.

Thanks to both you and Uthor. I'll give it a shot, it seems like the risks aren't too high for someone in my circumstances!

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
They (eventually) fixed it for me over the phone after giving me the wrong plan - over the phone - when the website activation didn't work properly. So if it's soon enough after you signed up, a little persistence will probably get you switched over.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

hypersober posted:

Is there a way to track how much data I've used on the straight talk website?

If you're using an Android 4.1 phone, there's a built-in option for monitoring data under Settings. You can even have it cut you off after a certain threshold, if I remember.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Quick question, I hope: I have a Galaxy Nexus I'm using with T-Mobile's $30 100 min./unlimited text and data plan. It has a full-sized SIM card. If I ask for a nano SIM to use with an iPhone 5S, will the new SIM keep the old plan, or will T-Mobile force me into a different tier?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

IuniusBrutus posted:

Are the T-Mobile sims I can pick up from wal-mart/target good for the $30/month pre-paid plan, or can I only do that by ordering a SIM online or buying a phone in-store at Wal-Mart?

I would ask if they sell the plan/SIM combo apart from a phone at Walmart, but otherwise you're stuck. I ordered online.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Based on what I know about the One line, I would definitely gravitate towards that. The Reverb seems like an unpopular spinoff of the Galaxy line, whereas the One V is just a One (not the recent One, confusingly enough) that supports Virgin.

Virgin is actually a pretty decent carrier as long as you live in a major city - they are on the Sprint network, after all. The only downsides are their phone selection, and the cost of buying an off-contract phone that you can't even take to another carrier. That's one of several reasons I ended up buying a Galaxy Nexus and switching to T-Mobile.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Take a lesson from me and avoid getting the cheapest possible smartphone. I bought an LG Optimus V, but it had so little onboard storage that I started having to delete apps just to keep getting texts - and this is with the ability to shuttle some apps to a Micro SD card. Now I have a Galaxy Nexus and I'll gladly keep it for another year or more.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Speaking of T-Mobile and iPhones, here's an interesting situation. Right now I have a Galaxy Nexus with the $30 T-Mo plan. The GNex uses a full-sized SIM, the iPhone 5s uses a nano-SIM. If I ask for a nano-SIM, presumably I can get one without switching plans and just pop it in a new 5s?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Virgin iPhones on October 1st, incidentally:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/09/27/joins.regional.carriers/

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
That plan would be wildly popular if A) they advertised it and B) it weren't so easy to get tripped up when signing up for it. Heck, I'm going to have to get my plan transferred from a SIM to a micro-SIM, and I'm scared they're going to botch THAT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Normally I'm an android phone guy, but the Nokia 521 is kinda calling my name.

Anyone move from an android phone to a windows phone? Worth it?

Seems kinda cool, but I'm a little worried about things like viruses and spyware and all that jazz. Seems like it'd be more widespread across a wide os platform like windows than a smaller platform like android.

Yes, weird worry, but it's there.

Only real downside I can see so far is the horrible color scheme the phone apparently defaults to.

Windows Phone is a smaller target for malware because it's less popular than iOS and Android - I wouldn't worry in that regard. It seems to me, though, that the main reason to go with a Nokia these days is the camera, and that's only an advantage on something like the Nokia 1020.

• Locked thread