Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I think I've found my answer on some other forum, but I really don't trust anybody but Goons.

If I get an unlocked GNex and go on T-Mobile's monthly plan, and then over the winter am forced to cut payments to my phone, will my phone still be able to access wireless internet at-will and function fully as a PDA?

Or will T-Mobile's SIM card turn authoritarian on me and lock down connectivity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

FogHelmut posted:

Actually I think my plan now is going to be buy the Galaxy Nexus HSPA, buy a month from Straight Talk with a new number. Then port my Sprint number to Google Voice, and forward that to my Straight Talk.

This is my plan once my Verizon plan runs out. There is a likely chance that I will be buying the Nexus a month or two in advance, buy the $30 monthly plan from TMobile for the data, and once my contract is up with Verizon I'll port my number into Google Voice.

Has anybody else had success / horror stories with doing this? Am I going the wrong way with it, or is this a perfect acceptable and easy thing to do?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
So I've got my current verizon phone set up with google voicemail. I'm getting a new phone on t-mobile. My wife and i frequently use picture messages, as does our extended family, and I really don't want to have 2 numbers.

Am I best trying my luck to port my number to T-Mobile to keep MMS support? Or is there a way to make Google Voice work yet? I'd like Google Voice so if I hate t-mobile and switch in two months, I don't need to tell everybody I have yet another phone number.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

plester1 posted:

MMS simply doesn't work with Google Voice. I got over it pretty quickly, but I wasn't a heavy user of picture messages to begin with. I mostly used email and Facebook linking to share pictures. I can see the lack of MMS being a deal breaker for frequent picture message users.

Bummer. Maybe Google Voice is in my future if they can clean their poo poo up.

Ordering sim kits from T-Mobile now. If I understand correctly, when I get the sim, I will be able to select the $30 monthly plan that I do not see on their website right now?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

plester1 posted:

You should be able to. This is where I can see that $30 plan: http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/monthly-4g-plans

It looks like their prepaid section is a totally separate website from the main site.

Thank you. Side text on the site says $30 plan is for "New activations only. Available exclusively in-store at Walmart, on Walmart.com, and T-Mobile.com."

Instead of ordering the sims, can I walk into a WalMart and have them hook me up with the sim cards and $30 plan? Or would that require me buying a phone from them?

My contract is up Dec 14th, and I'm getting the new phone on Christmas, so I'd like the turnover to happen near instantly when I open the box. Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, I just don't want to be stuck waiting if I can prevent it.

• Locked thread