Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I had a crappy dumbphone + Verizon contract until almost a year ago, switched to Virgin + Optimus V then. I moved to Chicago and am pretty much never home, I use my phone for nearly everything now so I'm losing patience with the OV much faster than expected, it was fine for just texting and checking the weather and stuff before I moved. I stuck with Virgin because I figured I'd upgrade fairly soon, but they don't seem to have anything more compelling than the Triumph, and now that I can't keep my $25 plan after an upgrade Virgin seems kind of obsolete as a whole.

My phone is pretty much like a little computer to me, I could probably scrape by with 100 voice minutes/month. I want a really good phone and could wait another month or so if needed... am I missing anything (either upcoming phones or something much better available with a contract) or is the Galaxy Nexus + T-Mobile $30/month pretty much the best thing for me? I have decent credit, I could go back to a contract but don't really see any compelling reason to.

I think the prepaid = poor paradigm is really loving stupid. Let me think, $400 up front for a decent phone, or $100-200 in exchange for being gouged an extra $50/month for two years? Why are rich people renting their phones instead of just paying for them? :allears:

Straker fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Nexus and my T-Mobile SIM card should be here in a couple days :dance: only downside is the lack of an SD slot, I already have a 32GB card and it's not like 16GB is such an obscenely huge amount of storage that more is redundant... I could see that if the phone had 64GB or something.

There's no way I can hand off my OV and $25 VM plan if I'm porting my number out, is there?

ShaneB posted:

Trip report: GrooVeIP works surprisingly drat well over 4G via T-mobile here in Chicago, and amazingly over WiFi. Just my 2 cents.
I was a bit apprehensive about switching from VM to TMo because I currently get perfect, perfect reception (which is important because I'm still tethering for internet most of the time), that's good to hear, I'm in Uptown myself. I checked their coverage map before buying anything and saw pretty much all of metro Chicago is thoroughly soaked in 4G, but still.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Am I correct in assuming there is no way to make either my VM phone or prepaid TMo phone function as anything more than wifi PDAs while I'm in Canada for a week?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

LiquidRain posted:

If your TMo phone is unlocked you could try Wind Mobile if you're in a large city, but even then it may not be optimal. :/ SIMs are $25 but they may want you to sign up for an account. Prepaid temp SIMs just don't exist here.

Yeah, I'm another OV + gnex guy... it's not that important to me, I'll be around family with phones, I probably won't even bother setting up GV for when I'm on wifi. Thanks though!

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Well hey, my prepaid TMo gnex roamed onto Rogers just fine... 20 cents a text is reasonable for emergencies but not sure I want to find out how expensive $10/mb for data works out to in practice :)

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Yeah, I'm not playing with fire, leaving my phone on airplane mode and I have free wifi nearly everywhere I'll be anyway... just posted because I did get one incoming text as soon as I first turned airplane mode off, followed by an automated TMo "lol prepare to get hosed if you keep using your phone" text, and I thought it was interesting I could use it at all. Being a prepaid account, I assume they wouldn't let me go too far into debt anyway, presumably just whatever the latency is between Rogers and TMo's accounting systems? Though even an hour is scary as gently caress, that could be like $200 worth of data even at EDGE speeds if a stray update or two went through while I wasn't paying attention.

I did find it interesting that the TMo text said 20c per text sent, implying I could keep getting them for free, but not going to risk testing that, and my old OV still has my "real" number anyway, so not like I was planning on getting anything on my Nexus anyway.

And I'm actually Canadian myself, just have a green card and been living in the US for the last 4 years. It's amazing that any country has even worse phones, cell plans, cell networks etc. than the USA. but thanks liquid :)

Straker fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jul 7, 2012

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I'm using a GNex, had the cheapo tmo 100 min/unlimited/unlimited plan for ages and love it, but I just started a delivery job and the dispatchers etc. all still use phones (it's seriously like an old fashioned detective movie with one guy at a desk with half a dozen phones all ringing at once). Maybe I can convert them to something that actually loving makes sense, like texting drivers via a desktop app or tracking them via GPS so they don't have to check in as often or at least using Voxer or something, but in the meantime I'm blowing through like 50 minutes a day, what should I do? tmo Straight Talk? Is their 3G HSPA, ie will my speeds be the same as the cheap tmo plan? I love my data but don't do any obnoxious streaming poo poo aside from the occasional youtube clip, because I already have all the music/video ever on my desktop. I just checked tmo's site and I'm only at ~850MB data in nearly an entire month. is there any reason to not just go ahead and switch to Straight Talk? I'm sure this is kind of a stupid question but I need to decide something asap and just wondering if there's something I'm missing, like say, I'm on the north side of Chicago with pretty good coverage, and mostly outside, would my data connection likely be good enough for random 30 second GV calls to/from dispatch just to check in? I'm also planning on keeping a tablet in my car and using my phone for wifi, but that won't eat up much data, will mostly just use it for navigation to free up my phone for phone poo poo. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I posted earlier about switching from TMo to Straight Talk... so, I waited for the end of my TMo billing month, tried to port my number to ST and their site hosed up at the very end and the activation wouldn't complete. I had to try to activate my phone 3 or 4 times before their site finally worked, and the one time it did I must have just ticked "activate" instead of transfer number or whatever on the first page. Now my phone's finally activated, with a new number :suicide:

ST support can't/won't port my number over now that the SIM has already been activated, but they seem amenable to sending me a replacement. I'm just wondering what happens in the meantime, given that my TMo account is due for renewal in a day or two and I've already paid ST for the SIM and first month of service and would rather not waste like $100+ on an extra month of ST, extra month of TMo etc. Will TMo let me port my number out if my account's been inactive for a day or two? I assume I could just switch to a pay by the day plan for a day or two to get my number ported out if I need, just thought of that. And has anyone tried to effectively switch plans from one phone to another on ST (since I'll have two ST SIMs and already have service I don't need/want on the first one) or are they going to gouge me for an extra month? Thanks!

edit: never mind, on phone with ST now, much more helpful than expected :) they still won't reuse the same SIM but deactivated it for me, made a note that I'd already paid for a month of service, etc. luckily I can just pay TMo by the day for a few days until it gets here.

Straker fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 28, 2013

• Locked thread