Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Trying this stuff out, currently on Sprint using GrooveIP in a 'test environment' per-se. If all goes well with my minute usage, I'll be switching to the T-Mobile $30 plan.

How's the echo handling on GrooveIP for everyone else, does the autodetect seem to do a pretty good job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just a heads up for those considering T-Mobile prepay, SIMs are $.99 with free shipping right now (usually $6.99)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Also, for those of you on t-mobile's 100 minute plan using google voice etc, how are you dealing with MMS messages? Does everyone have your old (now gvoice) number for calling and stuff, and your other number to text you on?

I know gvoice will email an MMS sent to your number, but what if you want to send an MMS? Send with native sms app and tell your buddy to add your MMS number into their phone?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SB35 posted:

Same. The chat apps like Whatsapp and WeChat to name a couple, work much better for sending pics and what not. Besides, you have a smartphone, MMS is slow archaic and limited, it belongs in dumbphones.

Or dumbfriends either way.

And SMS comes into your native app, yes?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MC Hawking posted:

I just asked about this and MMS works if you go into your APN settings and switch it from ipv4 to ipv4/v6. No other changes needed so far.

That's with gvoice? Or are people still sending MMS to your non voice number?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Big City Drinkin posted:

I'm currently on a T-mobile contract and would like to switch to the prepaid $30 plan. Here's how I'd like things to go:

1. Port number to Google Voice (thereby terminating T-Mobile contract + $100 ETF)
2. Order T-Mobile prepaid sim and activate online
3. Point Google Voice to new number from prepaid sim

Will this plan work, or do I need to tell T-Mobile what I'm up to since ultimately I'll still be their customer (i.e., have the same My T-Mobile account)? I know I can handle the switch over the phone from 611, but I want to avoid that in order to port to Google Voice.

Edit: I think I also need to qualify as a "new customer" or something to get the $30 plan, right?

IIRC if you point your gvoice number at your new cell number it will still count as incoming minutes, you'll have to use some sort of VoIP thing if you want to skirt the 100 minute nonsense.

If you find one that works well, tell me because GrooveIP is intolerable at best.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I have it listed up in SA mart as well, but if any of you ting folks would like a Sprint Evo 4G I'm selling mine. $200 shipped to a goon that lives in the US. Comes with original box, literature, charger and a seidio innocase. It's also running a Sense 5 port, rooted +s-off, but I could put it back to stock if you so desire.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

ilkhan posted:

EVO 4G or EVO 4G LTE? They are two very different phones (YAY Sprint naming conventions!)

Sorry I meant 4g LTE. I'm just going by my local craigslist where they're still going between 180 and 350, not like anyone is going to get that. Being an LTE and OG Evo owner, specifying should have been my first grammar check haha.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 28, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Have any of you guys successfully unlocked a Verizon iPhone 4S for use with a GSM network (AT&T specifically)?

If so, what method did you use, I'm looking at the GPPs, the R-Sims, and IMEI Unlocking, which is way too loving expensive.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

You are better off selling your vzw 4s and buying an unlocked or att one.

Looks like there's a thing, neter pro sim that will do verizon iphones. For $13, worth giving it a shot. If not I'll sell it, it's for the girlfriend anyway so I don't really care if I have to get rid of it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Uthor posted:

My friend has my old VM phone and is looking to get the SIII. He hasn't paid for the VM plan in like 6 weeks (he was originally using it as a cheap WiFi hotspot at a comic convention two months ago), but can still make calls and use 3G. His account says that he's late paying, his CC is in the system, but auto-pay isn't turned on. Any idea how he still has service?

It hasn't gone to collections yet, but once it does he won't have service anymore and will also have a mark on his credit.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MisterFreshman posted:

I have had VirginMobile for about 7 years, a friend recently switched to it and bought the Galaxy S2, decided she didn't like it, and gave me the phone to use as an upgrade for my Optimus Elite. I tried to switch on the site and it said the phone is already in use on another account. I browsed through her account management and it seems like my only option is to swap her account to a different phone so that it frees the Galaxy up to use on mine... before I run out and buy a $20 Virgin flip phone can anyone verify that this is probably what I need to do?

That is probably what you need to do. The same ESN can't be on two accounts simultaneously. Why don't you call them and have them swap your esn for hers, instead of spending money on a throwaway?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SB35 posted:

Impossible. Verizon doesn't use SIM cards.

Depends on the phone, the verizon iPhone 5 comes factory unlocked to work on most GSM carriers. And they have some other 'world edition' phones as well.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

SB35 posted:

True... but he's saying he wants to just buy a Verizon ST phone and take the SIM out of it and put it in his already unlocked GSM phone. Which is impossible because that Verizon ST phone he gets will not have a SIM card in it.

Yes. Straight talk sells the iPhone 5, but they don't sell it with Verizon service. Verizon only uses SIM cards for LTE service, which you also will not get on ST.

Yeah, sorry buddy. America is a big place and unfortunately there are places with terrible service, save for one carrier. I used to live in such an area and Verizon was the only real choice.

Right, just saying if he wanted to get a Verizon phone from Verizon the iPhone 5 is factory unlocked and usable on ST as one of my coworkers has it. On that note, ST killed his data today without warning or throttling as others have mentioned previously.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Mister Fister posted:

Ok i was able to connect to the new ST APN by turning off my phone for 15 minutes and removing the SIM card, but i don't get LTE (or at least i don't think i do). I'm on the HTC One developer edition and i still only see the "H" speed at the top, not sure if that's only for HSPA+ or that's LTE also.

My One says LTE when on LTE and H when on hspa, but I'm on tmobile so YMMV.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Got my Straight Talk (AT&T) SIM Card and put it into my (factory unlocked) iPhone 5 after trimming it down. Connects to 4G and I can make calls just fine. Just noticed that imessage and FaceTime are not activating though. This seems to be a common problem? So I've tried resetting my network settings, turning the phone and iMessages/FT on off, etc. I'm still stuck trying to activate.

Try it with airplane mode on, and wifi on. Dunno why, that's what I read. I've got a 4s that I've been trying to jailbreak/unlock using a netersim, but it just tries to call to the polish activation servers, which sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

blargle posted:

Anyone using Google All Access Music on Straight Talk? I'm curious how much data it's using a month, or if they flag it as streaming. It's known to have much higher data usage than Spotify and Pandora so I'm afraid to let it stream over cellular.

Not much help,as I'm on t-mo unlimited, but when I stream gmusic pretty frequently on high quality it uses upwards of 2-2.5GB/mo, that's doing maybe 15 hours total.

• Locked thread